PDA

View Full Version : Local cosplayers in today's paper

dani
10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
The article is here (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Page/document/v4/sub/MarketingPage?user_URL=http://www.theglobeandmail.com%2Fservlet%2FArticleNews%2F TPStory%2FLAC%2F20051001%2FSHYAM01%2FTPEntertainme nt%2F%3Fquery%3Dselvadurai&ord=22355967) but their registration system is a pain. It's easier to grab the Globe and Mail at a corner store.

neekabe
10-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Note: Grabbing a Globe and Mail at your local store only works if you in Toronto area as the article is in the Toronto section, and seeing it online requires payment, or at least credit card access :sulk:
('cause you know, no one outside of Toronto are will really care... :rolleyes: )

So if any handy Toronto people feel like sharing with the rest of the country, that'd be nice :p

dani
10-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Done!

neekabe
10-01-2005, 12:51 PM
That's very much! :)

*heads off to read*

Edgar Strife
10-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Wow, what a very interesting article. Thanks dani for posting it up here.

Michiko chan
10-01-2005, 03:40 PM
That's so cool! And I love it how they don't make it sound like we're creepy obsessed people like some articles have. ^^

chef_belegfea
10-01-2005, 04:05 PM
just read the article myself, then made my mom read it... I think she has a slightly more positive view of us all now, and shesaid she's going to show the article to people insted of explaining what she thinks cosplay is...

Elemental
10-01-2005, 04:21 PM
It is a better article than most I've currently seen, though I'm still disappointed. We spent the whole day with the reporter (Shyam) And it seemed as though he didn't really want any depth, since every time we tried to provide some context he'd stop writing.

Hence mistakes like "American Phenemon that is gaining popularity in Japan" and "It (cosplay) is nothing more than dressing up and photographing yourself."

Ah well, it could have been much worse, and it IS a good article for 'here's the basics.'
And we may even score some of the thousand of pretty photos the photographer took. XD

oneas
10-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Wow. That is insane. <3

lil_pudding_dog
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Mmmm, such an interesting article. I enjoyed reading it. ^_____^

Yuna-X2
10-01-2005, 07:24 PM
That's a good article. I like the fact it's very positive. :)

Alexia Ishtar
10-01-2005, 07:35 PM
I agree! It was a well written -positive- article, the first I've actually seen. Many thanks to the person who posted it, and the writer of the article for making us seem like relatively normal people ^.^

Amai Mimi
10-01-2005, 07:55 PM

Ayumi Nemoto
10-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Yes yes, it was an amazing article and it's actually positive *gasp in shock* (no offense or anything). What suprised me the most is that they didn't try to force their real names out of them. :D I see improvement in media lol

*gasp* Archy on radio... that means media really is improving XD lol I'm just glad they didn't ignore cosplayers :D

Amai Mimi
10-01-2005, 08:21 PM

Straywind
10-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Yes yes, it was an amazing article and it's actually positive *gasp in shock* (no offense or anything). What suprised me the most is that they didn't try to force their real names out of them. :D I see improvement in media lol

*gasp* Archy on radio... that means media really is improving XD lol I'm just glad they didn't ignore cosplayers :D

I was the correspondent for the Globe and Mail article and I was actually asked to give the real names of the people mentioned in it. In the end, only my real name was ever used. (^^);; If I had known that everyone's full names wouldn't be posted (as I gave one other full name) I wouldn't have given my own. XD

I'm somewhat disappointed in the article because I helped organize things. Some people who were in attendance were not even mentioned (which really ticked me off), some of the quotes were quoted to the wrong people, a number of really good points were not included and others (as Elemental pointed out) were plain wrong. *sigh* I do have to agree, though, that it was quite positive. I think the random French tour group that showed up and was confused by us was the best part of the day. lol

I wish I could have heard Archy on the radio (even though I wouldn't be able to understand it). XD It's great to hear good things about Cosplay. The more people know about us, the less they'll think we waste our time and money on a pointless hobby. It's fun, creative and social. (^_^)

Yuna-X2
10-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I think it's more than just the media being supportive to it.. it's more like a actual social acceptance that people who like anime aren't pimply, gawky teenagers or wierd adults who still live in their's parent's basement, but normal people doing with proper jobs and stuff.

Kaijugal
10-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Wow I'm just shocked that they actually sited that cosplay is a phenomenon that started in North America and then got popular in japan, usually they get that the wrong way around. ^_^

Good work guys!

TomodachiFriend
10-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Some will argue that it did start in America. Someone (a journalist?) came over in the 80's and brought it to Japan. Whatever you believe, people have always been dressing up.

minion-chan
10-05-2005, 09:39 PM
*squee* that article made my day~ its so awesome to see something in the paper that you actually know about!

YukiPhnx
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
omg! Archy-kun on the radio! i missed it ;_; wonder if they'll ever play it again.....I've nvr herd Archy-kun speak chinese......

there was a program on the chinese channel about 2 months ago....about lolitas in hong kong! 2 hrs long and i watched all of it. it was really well documented ^_^