PDA

View Full Version : Wigs for people with long hair >.<

PretearWink
02-01-2003, 07:51 PM
My hair hasn't been too long until recently, but now that it's reached the "annoying wig lumpage" barrier point, I'm at a loss for what to do. o.o I bought a wig cap, I've tried braiding it, I've tried ponytails and crisscrossing, but my hair is so thick and so long, I keep coming up with these unsightly bulges in my wig or else the wig makes me look like a chibi version of my character since it makes my head look so big o.o Does anyone have any hints/tricks/tips for that? I really would appreciate any help ^^

soshi
02-01-2003, 08:11 PM
corn rows? o.O

... your signature images is waaay too HUGE. o_o;; it look nearly a minute to load for me and I have cable. o_____o;; methinks you need to change it.

Arashi
02-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Maybe if you coiled your hair to your head like you were making pin curls...? Do you have straight or curly hair?

Tenshi
02-01-2003, 09:53 PM
My hair's waist-length and very thick, and I've found the only way to make a wig look decent is to do what Arashi said. It takes a million years but it's worth it ^_^.

Silly_Kitsune
02-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Ooohiee, I love your signature image!!! lol I can offer no help whatsoever as I have short hair, but that Dizzy image is just too cute!!!

sailor-moon
02-01-2003, 10:11 PM
i have waist leangth hair, and its got a lot of volume^^ what i do is i do a really tight french braid and kinda coil it around my head^^ and its seems to work, especially for my moonie wig XD haha ^.^;

Garuda_Aiacos
02-02-2003, 12:27 AM
What is "pin curls"?

I also got a very long hair (about 36") and kinda having a headache on how to hide it beneath my wigs (and I can't cut it soon as I'm doing Arwen end of this year).

Arashi
02-02-2003, 03:46 AM
Pin curls are simply winding sections of your hair on itself and securing them to your head with hairpins. It's usually done if you curl your hair, but don't want to lose the curl while curling other hair sections. ^^

Satine
02-05-2003, 03:57 AM
What they use in films now is multiple french plaits:) Like half way between corn rows and a french plait.

For Jack of All trades we had four plaits and that worked for very thick and long hair as well as my fine very long hair. But, they circle around the head, not front to back. So from one ear to the other across the front then *reverse it from ear to ear at the bottom and the middle section is also plaited and reverse of the rows on the outside..

then the ends were fairly loosely plaited so that could flatten.. ok it was to save time;) We had about 2 hours for wardrobe and make up as it was... anyway they were laid in circles between each row.

It made out wigs very secure:)

PretearWink
02-05-2003, 05:17 AM
You guys are great help, thanks so much ^_^

Not Quite Sane
10-23-2004, 07:30 PM
You can also wet your hair until it's soaking, get rid of excess water, and pin it evenly. ^^

I have very thick, long hair, so I feel you.

Neo_Serenity
10-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Ack, I feel your pain as well. My hair is past my bottom and very thick. I haven't started to use wigs yet, but I had been thinking about the dilemma you started this thread over.

I was thinking that I would have someone help me put a wide circle around my head and pin it all down, sort of like what Satine said, but without the braids. It would take HOURS to put all of my hair in braids around my head the way she described. ^^

Codemonkey
10-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Uhh... Well, really all I can suggest is you cut it, until it's just short enough. Sorry, I dunno a lot about hair or styles. :thumbsup:

-Codemonkey

Sarcasm-hime
10-24-2004, 12:59 AM
Mine is to my knees and I usually french-braid (not in a circle, as that's REALLY hard to do on yourself, especially if your hair is very long) and coil the braids flat to my scalp, trying to distribute them evenly and pinning. Try to put more of the mass at the back of your head, where most wigs have more stretch to them and where the mass won't be as noticeable.

Even so, I don't think there's any way to get away from SOME head-poofiness. Those of us with a lot of hair just have to face the fact that stuffing all that hair under a wig will create a bit of poof no matter what we do....ya just try to minimize it. ^_^

Pinku-Usagi
10-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Maybe you should wrap it and slick it around then put on a wig cap. That's what I do even though it's kinda frustrating. ^^

Nina Star 9
10-27-2004, 07:01 PM
wait- what is a french plait? i need a wig for my sae costume for fanime, so...

Katie
11-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Plait is just another word for braid. It's not as commonly used as "braid" nowadays. ^^ I have really thick hair, but it's only a few inches past my shoulders. All I have to do is put it in a low (but very secure) ponytail, flip the hair on top of my head and quickly put on the wig cap. There may be a slight bulge at the base of your neck, but it shouldn't look too bad if you flatten it a bit with your hands.

AlphaNinn
11-02-2004, 08:13 PM
When I had long hair, I used to braid it and pin it around my head, like others have been saying. Wet hair can help, too.

Now that my hair's shorter, I usually just put the wig cap on and smush it up. I find if I put it in a ponytail near the base of my head, I get an awful headache within an hour.

NeoAndTrin13
11-03-2004, 03:35 PM
My hair is long too, about mid/lower back, and really thick so this is a big help for me too :) I have a little purple wig that I love, but I always had a big bump in it before. Is there any way to get long hair under a *really* short wig? I've got a friend with a Trinity costume and was hoping to go to a con with her as Switch at some point.

keyoume
11-08-2004, 11:04 AM
*sigh* My hair 3" from my hips and I had a very short blue wig at Ochibicon. Anyway, All I chould do is sorta mush it around, but I chould never get away from the poke out-ness...but it didnt matter because Friday night i let my friend use my wig cap and she lost it...*sigh* x.X so I had to walk around with my normal hair. I havent realy had to deal with wigs much, but I do know what you kinda meen x_x...^_^ but I do like the idea of wetting the hair, im gunna try that next time ^_^....(if my friend ever goes and gets me a new wigcap >>; ).....

Aisha-chan
11-10-2004, 05:38 PM
I suggest doing a variation of 2 french braids that are tight at the top and loose where they hang off. Some hair gives the possibility of being barely any left, so if you have a long wig, it may just cover up. Some of these suggestions sound better though XP

ProctorSilex
11-10-2004, 08:04 PM
i have long hair too. i just started wearing wigs over a year ago. i haven't cut my hair since then so it's only been getting more difficult. i was thinking about cutting my hair, but some women in my life might have convinced me to let it continue :/

a wig cap helps me, but definitely not a life saver.

i sorta know how to braid, but only by figuring it out myself. braiding isn't something that young boys learn, i'm afraid ;) if you don't have the time or skillz, you can grab some hair, twist it a bit, then wrap it around your head pinning where necessary. that has worked ok for me. it will last all day, but some hair will sneak out eventually (wig cap helps here).

my head is pretty big too, so the wig is hard enough to fit all the way around. the advice to move the hair to the back where there's more stretch sounds good. i'll have to try that.

i've read that pins can cause the lumpiness too, but i don't see any way around using them (i use bobby pins). take care when pinning to be certain that they will be concealed under your hair so that they don't stick up or through the wig.

Cocorie
11-23-2004, 04:47 AM
this was really helpful, I have long thick and wavy hair and I was just thinking "oh wow, how am I going to wear a wig?
My mom suggested having it braided in a circle, but , that takes time and you'd have to pay someone to do it .... so what I think I'll try is the pin - curling technique or just have my sister french braid it

Jaina Solo
11-25-2004, 01:00 AM
Hmmm...

This is my hair:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=200717

This is my hair under a Kenshin wig:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=218307

Sure, my head looks a -little- bigger than normal, LoL, but I think the key is that there isn't too much "lumpage" in random places, and it's pretty evenly distributed. My hair is *extremely* thick, so putting it in a braid generally makes things lumpier. I've found that by winding my hair loosely around the back of my head, then putting on a wig cap, I can kind of moosh my hair around once I get the wig on and flatten everything out. Remember, though, that what works for one person doesn't always work for others. Try experimenting! I'm still not totally satisfied with how I wear a wig, so I'm looking for more ideas...

Neo_Serenity
11-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Hmmm...

This is my hair:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=200717

This is my hair under a Kenshin wig:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=218307

Sure, my head looks a -little- bigger than normal, LoL, but I think the key is that there isn't too much "lumpage" in random places, and it's pretty evenly distributed. My hair is *extremely* thick, so putting it in a braid generally makes things lumpier. I've found that by winding my hair loosely around the back of my head, then putting on a wig cap, I can kind of moosh my hair around once I get the wig on and flatten everything out. Remember, though, that what works for one person doesn't always work for others. Try experimenting! I'm still not totally satisfied with how I wear a wig, so I'm looking for more ideas...

LOL... I thought your Kenshin wig looked awesome. It looked so good I actually keep seeing you in my head with red hair. I was shocked when you took it off and saw all that lovely long hair! ^^