PDA

View Full Version : i guess its not unusual...

Crazyfingers
10-03-2005, 11:57 AM
hello all.i,m new to these boards and to the world of cosplaying.i have been considering trying to make it out to a convention to photograph some of the people in costumes for a videogame inspired painting.i,m an oil and digital painter and have been wanting to do a painting of this nature for my portfolio for a long time and then finally thought of cosplayers as subjects.is this "innapropriate" in any way?i don,t really know the rules to respectfully photographing you guys so i figured i would ask.if it is acceptable then i guess the next question would be who would like to take part?

Crazyfingers
10-04-2005, 02:28 AM
i suppose it is inapproriate then.any advise from anyone at all?

TomodachiFriend
10-04-2005, 02:35 AM
Taking pictures of cosplayers is not innapropriate at all if you don't cross some boundaries. People who cosplay at conventions know they will be photographed. All you have to do is go up to a person and ask for a picture. You can give them a card after if you want them to know who you are.

Melanie
10-04-2005, 10:11 AM
I think most cosplayers would be flattered to be part of something like that!

Just recently, a photography student happened to wander past our cosplay picnic and grabbed my friend and I for some pics for her portfolio - we thought it was awesome!

So long as you ask your subjects' permission, I don't think there would be any problems at all.

Crazyfingers
10-04-2005, 01:29 PM
thats very good to know and i appreciate your help.as earlier stated i really don,t know much about cosplaying so for instance if i had a specific series of characters(i do) that i would like to include in this painting,would it be best to try and arrange to meet at a convention or something to shoot them?

Crazyfingers
10-04-2005, 01:30 PM
i,m in new jersey so i don,t know of many cons here exept for the one in maryland which has passed already.

SasamiChan
10-08-2005, 12:14 AM
I think that it would be okay. I mean, you might wanna inform the cosplayer of what you're planning to do, but (as stated before), I think that the cosplayer would be flattered^_^

dressdragn
10-17-2005, 01:35 AM
I got my masters in painting and the whole first half of my second year was spent painting cosplayers.

~Anna