PDA

View Full Version : How was Onnafest to you?

Dokudel
10-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Basically what the title says. Did you like the convention being small? Didn't like it small? How were the events they had? Good animes they showed? I would put my 2 cents in when I see other peoples thoughts and opinions. ^_^

Giggers_Back
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
It was great. being my first con, it was alright that it was small. L.A.R.P was great. And I didn't watch any animes. maybe next year me and my friends will stay there the whole three days.

DaniiChan
10-10-2005, 07:25 PM
I really enjoyed myself ^_^ It was a small con, a really small con. But I got to see a lot of my friends and hang out with them and new people as well ^_^ It was more of a 'hang out' con for me, I didn't really go to anything excpet the 'fashion show' and the rave XD But I had a lot of fun (I only went Sunday) and the rave was awesome. I loved how it wasn't crowded and you weren't limited to a small space to dance, and of course I loved the music and variety they played ^_^

KaineMaxwell
10-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I enjoyed myself and had more fun sociallizing. Hotel sucked and most the con itself was disorganized.

The rave did rock though.

Aleego
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
A lot of the events were not as organised as I had hoped. The karaoke contest was nice though a little small...not too many contestents and the animes and cartoons they showed were awesome. I watched Full Moon Sagashite and So The Drama The Kim Possible Movie, as well as the music video contest which was cool! :)

neoangelwink
10-11-2005, 01:17 PM
^_^ onna 2 stars out of 5. socal wise 5 star out of 5.

Atasha
10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
My friend (Jen) and I were kinda disapointed at the size of the con. We thought it was a bit bigger. We didn't buy much like we planned to do. But like KaineMaxwell said the con was disorganized. I didn't like the hotel either.... nor the location. (I guess I'm too used to the bigger cons...?) But beggers can't be chosers I guess.
Though Jen and I insanly enjoyed ourselves watching Sailor Moon Live Action. That was probably the best part of the whole con!
I don't think I'll go next year though. At one point I thought I wasted 25 bucks to get in....

Lady Ava
10-11-2005, 03:15 PM
For me, this con was more of a hang out and chill with people thing. I got to see some people I haven't seen since other conventions and whatnot. Also got to meet a whole bunch of new people too. ^^ The con itself gets a 2 outta 5 from me. =P (But 5 outta 5 for a social gathering)

The masquerade was the only real entertaining part to me. Congrats to all those who got awards. You all deserved them <333

yeah....I was the Reno with the Turks and Rufus on Saturday. ^^0

vampricyoda
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I enjoyed Onna! But I didn't do a whole lot of "Con" type things, hit a dealers room, went to one panel, watched an Anime or two, and the things everyone does, Masquarde and Rave. I didn't have many problems with the con it was the Hotle. . Ugh.

But I met a bunch of new people like Lady_Ava above me. And a few otehrs and hung out with friends so it was all good to me.

sakuralyuy
10-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I would have to agree with most people, this con does get 2 out of 5 stars for many reasons. The layout was absolutely terrible and the hotel area had really nothing to offer in terms of food and supplies. The scheduling was all over the place, some things were rumored cancelled but weren't in the end. But in terms of socializing it was the best. I really enjoyed the intimate setting, it really allowed you to find someone really quick and the vibe was very low key. I really wish the programming was a bit better, plus the AMVs killed me. What was up with the million Utena and Rose of Versailles videos? People there are other shoujos out there.

KaineMaxwell
10-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I would have to agree with most people, this con does get 2 out of 5 stars for many reasons. The layout was absolutely terrible and the hotel area had really nothing to offer in terms of food and supplies. The scheduling was all over the place, some things were rumored cancelled but weren't in the end. But in terms of socializing it was the best. I really enjoyed the intimate setting, it really allowed you to find someone really quick and the vibe was very low key. I really wish the programming was a bit better, plus the AMVs killed me. What was up with the million Utena and Rose of Versailles videos? People there are other shoujos out there.
Sunday morning we were MST3k'ing the AMVs. ^^

sakuralyuy
10-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Sunday morning we were MST3k'ing the AMVs. ^^

I heard you guys I was sitting in the back of the room...that made it somewhat enjoyable.

Vanilla H.
10-11-2005, 07:37 PM
The elevator card key thing annoyed me to no end. We only had two keycards to our four people, and spent a good 25% of the con camped out in the elevators, waiting for hapless cardbearers to come aboard and help us get back to our rooms.

Anyway, con wise, I wasn't terribly impressed. I liked the social aspect- running into familiar faces all weekend was better than getting hopelessly lost in the Baltimore Convention Center or something- so in that respect the itty bitty-ness was key. But there was seriously nothing to do. I have never been big on panels, so that cut out a chunk of fun. Plus, I never actually gained access to the videogaming room because of it's size. Some of the anime scheduled was enjoyable, I liked the ode to Clamp, and I would have went to the Shonen-Ai marathon if I hadn't have fallen asleep, but still... the con just lacked substance. And this isn't just a jaded Otakon fan talking here. I've been to small conventions. And there is something seriously wrong when you and your friends spend several hours in your hotel room, eating cold rice and watching censored Blade movies on TBS. XD

On one hand, I did enjoy the dealer's room. It was little, but the con was never so packed that you couldn't leisurely browse it. On the other hand, I spent way too much money in there. The lack of entertainment sent me wandering back in there at 15 minute intervals.

Highlight of con: Duck, Duck Goose.

Ta_kun
10-11-2005, 07:51 PM
It was my first con, and i had a great time. It was small, just about everything started late, and us cosplayers didnt get treated to well. Other then that i thought it when great. I was a bit surprised how we where treated, the cosplayers i mean, my friend told me that when she did it before that all the cosplayers were treated like gods, atleast she made it sound that way. I think although it was small and somewhat crapy it will just make the next cons i go to more enjoyable. And if anyone has a pic of me hitting the pope in the croch with my bat, or any pic of me, please send me it.Thx!:)

Uchiha Nick
10-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I thought the con itself was pretty bad. The Rave and the masquerade were REALLY fun but it was definetly lacking. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT the social part of it was amazing!

I met more people at this con then any other and I love that. Even though the con itself wasnt the best i think it was one of the most fun cons ive ever been too. Honestly, I had more fun at this con then Otakon.

Ta_kun
10-11-2005, 08:06 PM
The masquerade and socializing was probably the best part, but i had to leave before the rave.:(

silver_deeds
10-11-2005, 08:37 PM
I had lots of fun!
It was a small con and there were some things I was sad about, like I missed the rave and the vg room cuz I had to leave early, and I didn't get to see the cosplay cuz I was in it, but it wasn't all that bad. At least I got to meet alot of cool people!

Aleego
10-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Playing duck duck goose was fun...lol

Zedsan_Kenobi
10-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Onna was cool imo. It was my third con overall and I loved the social atmosphere a lot. As far as events go...it was pretty lackluster, but then again I think too many people were expecting Anime Next type stuff. A con geared towards women in animation and comics is pretty much a small cult following, and as such would only bring a small following. I hope it comes around next year with a bigger venue so that it can be a better success. Here's hoping!

Kensan

Rukawa
10-12-2005, 02:30 AM
I enjoyed playing stepmania almost through that entire con lol and sellin ramune candy haha. But seeing friends were always great ^_^

Rob Lee
10-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I thought the con itself was pretty bad. The Rave and the masquerade were REALLY fun but it was definetly lacking. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT the social part of it was amazing!

I met more people at this con then any other and I love that. Even though the con itself wasnt the best i think it was one of the most fun cons ive ever been too. Honestly, I had more fun at this con then Otakon.

lol omg nick it was one of our craziest weekends ever! smallest con ive been to, but we met the coolest people. giant games of duck duck goose and spin the bottle for the win!:thumbsup:

DaniiChan
10-12-2005, 12:33 PM
giant games of duck duck goose and spin the bottle for the win!:thumbsup:

XDDDDDD certainly the most interesting part of the con

AlterEgoZoe
10-12-2005, 01:17 PM
I got there really late and I could only go on Saturday, so the only thing I got to do was see Gelatine . The music was great, but they started about 45 minutes late, so the wait was long..

My group and I was going to stay for the Sake tasting, but didn't in the end. Did anyone go to that?

We were a little dissapointed that we paid $25 to get in and didn't do much of anything. I was also dissapointed that there wasn't much going on event wise.

TheAnarCHris
10-12-2005, 02:01 PM
The con itself, outside of the masquerade and rave (.i.e, anything i judged or Djed) sucked ass.

Socially it was great. Many a great photo was taken (see Lady Ava/Neoangelwink.Sakuralay's gallery for proof, but animeNEXT is still king of the NJ con scene.

Ranma Saotome
10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
http://www.livejournal.com/community/onnafest/ - Let the staffers know what you think of Onna Fest and how we can make it better. ^_^

Ta_kun
10-12-2005, 09:16 PM
The best part of Onna! had to be the socializing, but the cosplay wasnt that bad(maybe because i won 1st place). Anyways, they need to make it bigger, more stuff to do, and more things to buy.

Zedsan_Kenobi
10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
HAH! Thats me as Kakashi about to slice open some pope neck in your icon! I've been dying to find more pics of the con and see where I popped up or my Sakura with the short hair I was with. KakaSaku love!

Kensan

PinSakura
10-13-2005, 08:55 AM
I thought it was pretty small and... okay...

But the people there were really fun ^^

If anyone knows that Pope guy that also dressed as Luigi, tell him I'M GONNA EAT YOU- ....I mean Hi. ^^ -From the InuYasha that tried to kill him numerous times.

DaniiChan
10-13-2005, 09:17 AM
HAH! Thats me as Kakashi about to slice open some pope neck in your icon! I've been dying to find more pics of the con and see where I popped up or my Sakura with the short hair I was with. KakaSaku love!

Kensan

Kakashi!! I didnt' know you were on here! :O I have some pics from the Naruto shoot in my gallery that you're in if you want

If anyone knows that Pope guy that also dressed as Luigi, tell him I'M GONNA EAT YOU- ....I mean Hi. ^^ -From the InuYasha that tried to kill him numerous times.

That's VampricYoda here on cosplay.com

PinSakura
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
-Ack- Yaaaay he's actually a member here? Sweet! -PMs-! =D

Thanks!

marsie
10-13-2005, 10:41 AM
The thing that cracks me up about this is, everyone here is complaining on how small it was.

Maybe cause I was on staff, but I KNEW it was going to be small with Reg capped at 450. I doubt it will get bigger, since the whole point was to go back to a small intimate con.

KaineMaxwell
10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
If I met anyone at Onna (I was Umino, Cid and Ebisu) and you want to stay in touch, feel free to contact me!

Btw, who here was at the duck-duck-goose game?

Ranma Saotome
10-13-2005, 01:33 PM
The thing that cracks me up about this is, everyone here is complaining on how small it was.

Maybe cause I was on staff, but I KNEW it was going to be small with Reg capped at 450. I doubt it will get bigger, since the whole point was to go back to a small intimate con.

Final numbers were around 800, and not counting staffers either.

Jese
10-13-2005, 02:46 PM
The size of the con didn't bother me. I actually had more fun at this small con than at Otakon 04' which had like 9238938 people (hence the reason I didn't go this year.) I'm actually looking forward to Onna Fest next year, although I do hope it's held somewhere else, since I must agree with everyone that the Hotel was horrible. Hurray for Gelatine too!! :bigtu:

Ta_kun
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
If I met anyone at Onna (I was Umino, Cid and Ebisu) and you want to stay in touch, feel free to contact me!

I was about to join the game, but then we had to go for the cosplay. It looked like fun, too!:waaaah:

Ta_kun
10-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Is anyone from Onna going to Anime USA. Its in November, and im trying to go. I would like to do the cosplay to, but not by myself.

AnimeParty
10-13-2005, 05:10 PM
I was only there on Sat...during the storm...drove from No. Westchester County...bad drive home...><
PLEASE change location for next year. I totally support moving back to Secaucus. It's more of a friendly atmosphere and the space is more logical. I was lost at Onna! this year. I was pleased to see people showing up. (I was affraid the numbers wouldn't be so high)
:D All in all, I had fun, my friends who attended had fun, it was just a pain to get home...and real unsafe...

Ranma Saotome
10-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Whaddya mean move back? We were never there! :p

Shinigami_Mimi
10-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, my thoughts on it were the con was really fun at first arriving. ^^ It's a great place to get to know ppl and talk to cosplayers. Thing was half way into the con me and my friends got bored because there was nothing to do. Most panels were really boring too. ^^;;;; So we left at 6pm even though we arrived at 2pm. ^^;; Just my thoughts.

Rob Lee
10-14-2005, 12:44 PM

yo i was at the duck duck goose game. my friends and i were the ones who started it. i was the rock lee who stole the popes hat. <3

Ta_kun
10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Well, my thoughts on it were the con was really fun at first arriving. ^^ It's a great place to get to know ppl and talk to cosplayers. Thing was half way into the con me and my friends got bored because there was nothing to do. Most panels were really boring too. ^^;;;; So we left at 6pm even though we arrived at 2pm. ^^;; Just my thoughts.
it was a bit boring, but the cosplay was fun. I cant believe u missed it.

TheAnarCHris
10-14-2005, 02:52 PM
it was a bit boring, but the cosplay was fun. I cant believe u missed it.

Dude, if u wish to make a Kantai costume check out the animeNEXT section in my Gallery, Then get a hold of Dressdragn, coz she's the one who made it.

<--The Sasuke in ur avatar and one of the judges that awarded u first place.

DaniiChan
10-14-2005, 03:16 PM
A suggestion for next year...Have it somewhere where there is a CHOICE of food!! 0_0 lol McDonalds is no funn....

And if you're bored, you create games!! I know when I was bored, I joined in on a few fun games that were happening... :D

One including the Duck Duck Goose ^^ (pic in my gallery~)

digikoomi
10-14-2005, 07:52 PM
well..paid to go there and hang out? totally not worth to go... expensive too... small con should always be cheaper..why charging us like big con price? this I am so have to complain..
and photoshoot? why don't we just make one ourself? it's free...and it's always better..
events...everything was not in good schedule..also rain whole week...so I don't even want to rate this con...

YasuMika
10-15-2005, 10:06 PM
I thought Onna was ok... granted it was a smaller convention and there wasn't as much going on, I still enjoyed myself. ^_^

SleeplessBeauty
10-31-2005, 03:55 PM
It was alright, I guess... Shoujocon was the ideal convention for me; smaller than Otakon, bigger than Onna!, but I guess we're never getting THAT back. =(

I was there for the Duck-Duck-Goose game after the Water Chorus.. We evolved into the Conga Line, got yelled at, and went back to the Board Room. ^__^*

Really, at Onna! it was all about making your own fun. =D Our Board Meeting with the Turks was a lot of fun, and the conga line was sweet until we got in trouble. The events themselves seemed a little...eh, and I'm sorry I missed the Stage Cosplay since I hear it was a highlight, but we met some good people and had as much fun as I could imagine wringing out of a mini-con in the middle of Newark in a monsoon. Ha!

RainAlvaran
01-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Whaddya mean move back? We were never there! :p
He probably got it confused with animeNEXT. I had no idea that this con even happened. I guess that's what happens when you're out of the loop for so long. >.< Is there word on when the next one is? I wouldn't mind going to a con closer to home. That is, considering I can't make animNEXT this year on account of previous engagements. >.<

Yo Ranma, what up? It's me, Rain. Um....lesse I was the guy that almost got killed by the two Rikkus at AnimeNEXT '02.

Ranma Saotome
01-14-2006, 06:41 AM
The next Onna won't be uintil 2007. The guy that almost got killed by 2 Rikkus? Mind is draing a blank.

Radical Kiba
01-17-2006, 11:17 AM
yo i was at the duck duck goose game. my friends and i were the ones who started it. i was the rock lee who stole the popes hat. <3

Yo rob! haha, yeah. I specifically started it. xD sooo fun. This was probably my favorite con ever. I met such amazing people. :toothy:

KaineMaxwell
01-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I'm friends with the pope, even shared a room with him! ^^

Loved hanging out with ya Ed!

vampricyoda
02-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Poooooppppeeeeeeeee