PDA

View Full Version : AX: J-rock Events main thread

lupineloli
02-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Here is this thread for anyone to express their concerns, questions and just whatever in regards to the Anime Expo J-rock Events (2003).
I'll check back soon to answer the best that I can. =)

Please always check here and the last posts for any news.

NEWS:
Our time slot has changed to 4:00pm-6:00pm (still on Friday)

psythe
02-03-2003, 07:00 PM
<dreaming>
I would give my left arm to see Moi Dix Mois or Dir En Grey at AX
O_O;;
</dreaming>

On a more realistic tone, I would just like to see live Jrock in general, would be one of the highlights to my cons since getting a plane ticket to tokyo to see them isn't very feasible :D

Yui
02-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah, bring on the plushies! I just kinda showed up to AX last year, and it was my first time, and I had no conception of what went down at the j-rock event. Anyway, if you do have that, at least I'll have some to show this year. ^_-

As far as the game show....kinda a good idea, but maybe have teams or something. You guys were trying to get me up on the stage, but I was completely convinced I wouldn't be knowledgable enough by myself (Of course, you proceeded to ask questions I actually -did- know the answers to, and then I was beating myself up for not going up there...go figure...) But people feel much more comfortable in teams in general...I think the game would just run more smoothly. Or you could always make it like millionaire....multiple-choice, poll the audience, phone-a-friend (er, I mean...ask-a-hide).

But besides cosplay events, I can't think of too much else to do with such a large group. Show videos?

lupineloli
02-03-2003, 08:55 PM
The game show idea has been shelved for this year. We're working on other programming outlets at the moment. But your team idea is absolutely dead-on for more audience participation, which is what we're going for. I mean - it's about the fans, not about three chicks on a stage yapping about stuff you guys already know - you know? =)

psythe said:
On a more realistic tone, I would just like to see live Jrock in general, would be one of the highlights to my cons since getting a plane ticket to tokyo to see them isn't very feasible

DITTO! But, getting several plane tickets along with the man power and money to ship huge, fragile equipment isn't very feasible for such a relatively small genre (we are a pretty big gathering, but in the grand scheme of things, we're small)
Like I said though - it is ALWAYS possible (look at A-kon!) but j-rockers do come to America and perform. It's either an event for their fanclub (but they let the local crowd in anyway) or just a little private tour to experience a new crowd. You just need to keep your eyes open. =)
The key locations for jrockers to come and perform are New York City, Las Vegas and Hollywood (which is where I saw Chisato and friends of mine saw Machine)

Of course - it would be nice to get the experience of anime, jrock, manga, jpop, cosplay all in one venue - and we're getting there, we're getting there - just takes time/money/energy/super powers/ - wait. Well - it feels like it takes super powers sometimes, anyway! ^-^

Yui
02-03-2003, 10:33 PM
ah yes, Duel Jewel's now coming to Katsucon (which was one of the pushing factors to get me back to that unorganized, security-pyscho con this year). Ha, not like that's DeG or anything, but if -Katsu- can get a concert of a sort going, I hope the mighty AX (being in California, no less) could realize some of that some time soon. ^_^

cutekawaii
02-03-2003, 10:42 PM
About the Lolita contest.

There should be a Best Overall, don't you think?

soshi
02-03-2003, 11:16 PM
the best chance of getting some "live jrock" would be getting someone who knows an indies band or a member of an indies band to agree to come over, and then get AX to pay for it. it's easy enough to find people who have even meager connections (*does little jig and bows*), but the problem is and always will be MONEY, especially at such a corporate-run con like AX.

About the Lolita contest.

There should be a Best Overall, don't you think?

I don't think so ~ I mean, this is a privately funded thing with a tiny budget, and having a "big" prize would not only stretch rescources but put undue pressure on the entrants. on the other hand, I suppose if someone had a really great costume that was in between gothic and classic.. *shrugs* it looks like the awards are keyed to what number of people think will enteri. if there's a massive amount of pre-registrants, the number of awards might stretch. and there could be extra industry awards, or something? Oo; lol...

lupineloli
02-04-2003, 01:57 AM
On the Lolita Tournament

There is a "best overall" for each of the fields. I do believe The Fairest of Them All qualifies for the Lolita portion and The Scariest Lolita of Them All. As for a combo of both - well - the genre is too broad for that. I have really yet to see an outfit that does not lean more to the side of "gothic" or "lolita" while still trying to combine both elements. There is usually one dominant attribute that makes an outfit either MORE gothic or MORE lolita. Combining both in a costume is certainly not discouraged - but it is up to the contestants to chose which will be the more dominant - fluff or fright. ^-^

Lacking in a "best overall" surprisingly has little to do with our budget, actually - but thanks for the concerns, Soshi ^-^ You're dead-on about the undue pressure, though. I don't want anyone to enter this competition just because there may be some trophy involved.
Prizes for this tournament will be given to the persons who win each title.

On Duel Jewel

Duel Jewel was brought to America through a third party - not a convention staff. I don't think a lot of people realize just how much "pre production" there really is to running a convention - particularly large ones like Otakon and Anime Expo.
Go back to convention reports of the early days of American Anime Conventions - you'll see how bleak they were. Trying something new is always nerve wrecking - like dipping your toes in uncharted waters.
A-kon had already been prepared for a band because:
1) it's the oldest anime con in this country
2) its staff holds quite a number of jrock fans on it
3) it catered to j-music fans early on with a j-rock/j-pop dance and video room (so I am told?)

J-rock may not be new to us, the fans, but it is new for certain cons and we just need to be as encouraging as possible and keep moving with what we have - expanding every year. (I'm going to keep pushing the optismism notes around - so watch out for smiles and rays of hope! ^-^)

Yui
02-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I know that it's going to take an immense effort to ever really happen, but I just wanted to remind you guys that we'd support you (no matter how vague or unhelpful that sounds.) I'll watch for those rays of hope. ^_^

As far as prizes...hey, I'd be happy with a free registration for next year. I don't think it necessarily has to be a dealer-supplied token, where you run the risk of just getting a random assortment of items that they couldn't sell. (Altho, last year did seem to have good awards ^_-) Anyway, I don't know if you have the ability to hand out passes like that as prizes, but it makes some sense as it doesn't cost anything, it's something every contestant would equally want, it encourages people to come back (and spend their money in the dealer room O_o) and it guarantees that they'll be some good cosplayers at the next con. Anyway, just a thought. You can't go too wrong handing out j-rock stuff (it's mostly those larger masquerades where the prizes are not too desirable.)

lupineloli
02-04-2003, 10:21 PM
actually - it does cost the con something. It costs them $50 or however much the badges are. That money is for the next year's con and so forth. It would be awesome to give that out, but I have no control over that department, so it will probably not be on the prize list. ;_;
Last year we had some awesome prizes because House of Anime realizes the importance of j-rock and doesn't just give us "left overs" - they're ont he up and up of what's "in". That's why I'm kind of a rapid unofficial spokesperson for them - LOL
We're still in the "drawing board" stage with prizes - but trust me - they'll be along the lines of whatever they're given out for/to.
=D

Yuna
02-07-2003, 02:37 AM
moved from J-Rock/pop forum~

lupineloli
02-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Nessa.
I wasn't sure if I'd get as many responses here but it got off to a good start in the j-rock forum.

Yui
02-07-2003, 06:17 PM
oh no...I hope it doesn't get lost amongst all these threads here. ^_-* Oh well....

Anyway, back to the topic, yeah, hooray for HoA...they -are- the only one to carry decent j-rock-related goodness in the dealer room. I totally trust you guys to choose appropriate prizes (the general masquerade could learn a lot from you guys.)

soshi
02-07-2003, 06:35 PM
HoA is alright, but at Ani-magic they were selling bootlegged photobooks for astronomical prices (like, way more than the original copies). You could tell, too - the pictures were all grainy and there were no official record label marks anywhere. I asked the guy working there why they were so much and he yelled at me. *rolls eyes*

I appreciate people having a large jrock selection, but if you're going to sell bootlegs, make them cheap and make sure everyone KNOWS they're bootlegs. it's unfair and dishonest to try and pass them off as real copies.

Yui
02-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Well, like you said, it's obvious when they're bootlegs. It's kinda people's judgement if they wanna spend so much based on that quality. Obviously, they are a -lot- of people at cons who would sacrafice quality for money...just look at all the everanime (sorta 'grey'-market') and SM & HS (full-out bootlegging there) rip-off CDs that massively get sold at cons.

And who yelled at you? O_o It must have been a helper, because the regulars rock.

soshi
02-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Most of the people there DIDN'T realize it was a bootleg. Not everyone is as anal as I am about it. -.-;

And it was one of the two guys who own the store, not a helper.

Yui
02-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by soshi
Most of the people there DIDN'T realize it was a bootleg. Not everyone is as anal as I am about it. -.-;

And it was one of the twins who own the store, not a helper.

Ah well, everyone has an off-con-day, I suppose. I know they've been nothing but polite and helpful to me everytime, no matter how mobbed they get, and no matter how much I'm pestering them for items that don't exist. ^_^*

As far as 'bootleg' stuff, yeah, some stuff they have isn't 'official' goods. They sell little 4x6 prints which are just out of magazines for like $3. But they're good little prints, and sometimes you just need a quickie Kyo and not the entire $30 mag. I also noticed a blown-up made-poster of a Malice Mizer cover of MGazette thrown in between real Dears and Midi-Nette sanctioned posters. Yeah, I'm not paying $55 for just a cover of a magazine I already own (it's not even a good-looking cover X_x) because even though I can fall into Mizer frenzy rather easily, I'm not stupid. Luckily, you and I are j-rock connoiseurs, so we can recognize the real quality stuff. As far as everyone else -- well, we can just be elitist ^_- They'll figure it out themselves eventually if they really care enough, and then the market for knock-offs (even good quality repros) will disappear. The demand right now is only building, and the stock in this country is still painfully low.

So as far as prices go, they can technically charge as much as they would wish, as there -is- no competition. A few other dealers have a couple hide plushies just because it's trendy, but no one has any assortment nor knowledge on the subject. We are at HoA's mercy, but I feel they've restrained themselves reasonably. I didn't mind paying $27 for the UV MM photobook (even though it was supposed to be around 1700 yen, I believe) because, for me, that was worth it. And I have no access to Japanese books, other than the internet, so I would have spent that much on shipping anyway.

And to finally swing back to the topic of AX in particular, I can't think of any other dealer there who could help out with the j-rock event even half as much. I'm pleased to know that they are showing so much support.

Yui
02-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Oh, I forgot why I came to the thread in the first place. Distractions...

Um, yeah. If you're thinking of other things besides the mini-masquerades and aren't doing the game show, how about a j-rocked themed haiku contest? ^_^ We were joking about that somewhere, but I think it actually has a good potential to be amusing. And it's less exclusive and time-consuming than plushie or cosplay creating, so more people could participate.

Do you guys have some more event ideas in the works? When are ya going to share?

soshi
02-08-2003, 10:55 PM
I don't have a problem with that cute little stuff (like those braceletts and what not) that don't have an official equvilent.. yeah, it's making money off someone else's name w/o permission, but... damn, some if it's really neat.. ^^; what pisses me off is people passing bootleg stuff for REAL copies, and then charging you up the ass for it. >___<;;

Yui
02-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I do see where you're coming from. All they really need to do is just label it as unofficial and price it accordingly -- I mean, if you wanna be fair to newbies ^_-
But if you are concerned, give them some feedback on it, otherwise they might never find out how you feel.

soshi
02-09-2003, 12:10 AM
I did give feedback. and I was told to fuck off. O_o;

Yui
02-09-2003, 02:19 AM
Ack. Well, that's not very tactful. Um, perhaps our 'unofficial spokesperson' could relay some of the concerns to them.
Hmm, now if that's the case, I have an urge to do some investigative reporting at Katsucon. I honestly have never seen them like that, so your experience has piqued my interest.

soshi
02-09-2003, 10:54 AM
I've heard nice things about them, and I've heard bad things. *shrugs* personally I don't care - I buy 90% of my jrock stuff online or at my local Kino - it's just the bootlegs that bother me.

Yui
02-09-2003, 09:16 PM
yeah, unforetunately, they're really my only outlet that I can see the items before I buy them (unless I abstain from cons for like a year and go to Japan just to shop), so I really have no other choice. I've really been cheated &/or confused so often with ebay and most internet stores that I can't afford to bother with that anymore. I have to be able to hold what I'm considering before I can decide whether to buy it. That's why I like seeing them in the dealers' room since it gives me that opportunity. As far as whether the bootleg stuff is ethical -- well, I'm not there to judge them. I just know better than to buy it.
I guess I can only say that if you have better places to get your stuff, then go for it, and then you don't have to give them business if it's hitting such an negative emotion for ya.

Whee...& we have completely gotten off topic. That's why this should have stayed in the j-rock forum, huh? Anyway, I'll stop responding to this (before we get moderated here ^_^*) as I -do- see what you're saying and I don't have that much to add at this point.

lupineloli
02-10-2003, 08:16 PM
OK - guys, see I made this thread so it could be for updates to the AX j-rock events and any questions concerning that - only

Let's please drop the topic at hand since it is quite irrelevant to the point in which this thread was created for. Thanks so much
^-^

Anyway - we have a new layout and the submission form for the j-rock masquerade itself as well as the finishing touches on programming are going to be added within this month. Rapid updates, my pretties - so check back often!

soshi
02-10-2003, 08:21 PM
dude, EVERYTHING here goes off topic unless it gets sticky-ed. ^^; you might want to ask a mod to do that for ya.

Yui
02-10-2003, 11:19 PM
I promise to stay on topic. ^_^

Okay, so I did want to ask about this: the j-rock masquerade is -not- a contest, but the attack of the lolitas -is-? That is what "non-competative" means, correct?

Somehow I think that I won't be able to do both. How much time will be between them and which one do you plan on having first? Also, do have any ideas on -where- we can change costumes? Hmm...maybe it would be too much effort anyway. I'd hate to miss out on most of it just to get up on stage twice. Has anyone mentioned seriously considering to do both yet? I see that you'll allow it, but I just can't imagine how it'd be feasable.

Edit: I was typing too fast, and what I originally typed was backwards. O_o

lupineloli
02-12-2003, 02:41 PM
::going in order::

EGL Tournament - a contest
J-rock Masquerade - not a contest (in the future it will be)

Participants are permitted to participate in both of these due to the difference. I don't want a monopoly of certain winners starting up and making things un-fun for the less experienced cosplayers/performers ~ so just for this year, the j-rock masquerade is non-competative.

There will be 30 minutes worth of changing time and I will announce that along with the facilities surrounding our room as soon as possible. It is not a "break" however - there will be something going on for those in the audience who do not need the time to change.
And yes - there have been serious inquiries to do both. =)

lupineloli
02-13-2003, 02:23 AM
All right, everyone ~ we've done it! We're including EGA as our third and last field for the Lolita Tournament! So if you know a guy who wants to get in on the action (but is too afraid to crossplay ^-^) or a gal who makes a really hot bishie, come on and register for our new EGA (elegant gothic aristocrat) field!

soshi
02-15-2003, 09:03 PM
EGA isn't just men.. anything that's a long dress is considered EGA (I assume this from looking at MMM's online store in the EGA section). like Mana's Bara no Seido black dress with the white frills.

lupineloli
02-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Yes - and I clearly stated that it isn't just for men, too.

soshi
02-17-2003, 02:53 PM
So if you know a guy who wants to get in on the action (but is too afraid to crossplay ^-^) or a gal who makes a really hot bishie

the "guy.. afraid to crossplay" and "bishie" made it seem like you were saying EGA is a male styel. =P

lupineloli
02-17-2003, 09:08 PM
well look on the site. I'm not going to argue with you any more about this.

ANYWAY -
the j-rock masquerade is open for submission! Please register now before it's too late!

http://www.geocities.com/classy_cosplay/jrock03.html

under programming - jrock masquerade.

soshi
02-17-2003, 10:00 PM
ppffft, I'm not arguing, I'm clarifying in a pointed way. you know me, if I bug you just throw something at me. XD;

w00t, masq.

Yui
02-22-2003, 03:54 AM
Thanx for providing the samples. I feel more comfortable about my concept now.
...Erk, even though I honestly don't know how I'm getting to California now and I have no one to stay with, but I swear to the gods my cosplays'll be done. Maybe we can video conference it or something O_o*

Seriously, you do keep adding good incentives for me to come, tho.
Mystery J-rock Theater...that so rocks. Heh, if you're gonna use Verte Aile, I practically have a script for that one by now - it's quite MSTable. X_x Or are you doing multiple videos?

lupineloli
02-23-2003, 12:57 AM
it wouldn't be a mystery then, now would it! LMAO

Yui
02-25-2003, 05:21 PM
All right, new question. (this thread seems to be a private conversation or something O_o people keep asking me to post on their behalf) For the loli contest, would it be possible to walk on stage as a group? I know that the costumes would be judged individually, but there's been thoughts about making a matching set just to be seen all together. Not that everyone would be wearing the same costume or anything, just as if we all had the same theme or were from the same imaginary song.

lupineloli
02-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Everyone is judged individually and everyone will be walking on stage individually because I am reading their name and their costume title one by one. They will be able to use the stage as a kind of "cat walk" and strut their stuff - then I may ask them to say something and let them reply via the mic to the audience.
If potential participants wish to have a matching theme going for just the sake of matching/being together that's fine - but they cannot go on stage as a group or be introduced all together. It must be done one by one.
All of our contestants will be on stage together - though we have not figured out how we'll be arranging their positions quite yet (and probably won't until the stage has been rigged up - so don't worry about this)

and just in case this was confusing as hell:

example one: - Let's say three girls decided to all replicate an Alice in Wonderland dress - but with a checkered base dress and a whit ruffly pinafore. Let's say they all did it in the same materials, the same cut, style, etc. and that the only difference was that their base dress were diff. colors.
This would be EXTREMELY difficult to judge and the chances of one of them being picked out of the rest would be excruciating to the point that originality/individuality would get lost and none of these participates would win.
HOWEVER

example B:
Let's say another set of 3 girls decided to do an Alice in Wonderland theme also - but 1 girl did the "alice" look and loli-ed up with the classic "Alice" look - another girl decided to go for the "Queen of Red Heart" look but with a more sinister/gothic appeal to it - and the last girl decided to personify the Jabberwokie (sp?) with a vinyl outfit with batwings and horns and curled/twisted/coiled hair.
This is a set Alice in Wonderland theme, but with originality/individuality that the judges can give accurate attention to and easily recognizible as a "matching set" to the same theme.

I hope I made sense.

Velvy
03-01-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm just a bit concerned about the time between the J-rock masquerade and the Battle Of The Lolitas contest (whether or not there's enough time to change in between and XD I don't want to miss what goes on in between).

Yui
03-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah, that made sense to me, and example B is what I meant.

Velvy - yeah, it's a 1/2 hour exactly supposedly, and I'm sucha slow costume-put-on-er, so I'm gonna opt to only do the loli contest (even though now I'm getting all nervous about it being a competition O_o) Besides, I'm not missing MJrT...hehe, too bad I won't be wearing my 'Satellite of Love' Kaoru.

Lilli
03-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Yuikins :3 Whichever you decide to enter, if you want Lilli to make a costume styled after the same theme, I'd love to :3 Hehe, I wonder if there'd be a way to walk on in the contest without really entering it, hmmm :3

If you go ahead and enter the Loli contest, yatta :3 I'll have to decide if I enter or not. If I style my costume along the same theme as yours, but we aren't allowed to go onstage together, I may just wait until the JRock masquerade. (That way, you wouldn't have to change!) I don't usually make it a point to compete.

:3 Araaa, but if I'm not making sense, or saying something you don't want, just let me know, nyuu ^^;; (Yaay yay, AX. Pretty little Lolis! *squee!*)

Lilli
03-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Hmmm. *read read read* HMMMMMMM. *read ponder read*

^^; Saaa. That's about it then. Yuuuuiii ^^; Ja, it'd not work, the idea of a group themed costume. Or rather if we did, we'd be judged individually, and I'm not interested in that. Hmmm.

Demo :3 I think I'll go ahead and enter anyway, muehe! I'll not compete against Yui :3 I'm more suited to the frills than the chills, I guess. But this way we can do it together still, ne? :3 Hehe, and not have to worry about the one at a time thing *nods* Also this way you can still maintain your kickass individualism, and I'll go the more generic route of ...pink. Or something :3

._. And although I'm apparantly illiterate and should have been drooling on myself while I was submitting my entry, I hope they forgive me anyway :3

lupineloli
03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
::claps the class to attention::

I'm sorry if I ruined your plans - it's just that we're only three people and it's very difficult for 1 individual to compete against a group (another reason why the j-rock masquerade is non-competative). We can easily figure out a medium, however. I will confer with my collegues and get back to you, all right?

Time - It really isn't recommended that people sign up for both the tournament & the masquerade because of the time factor -but we don't want to forbid it if you can pull it off. However, we cannot just pause the events so the few who do decide to participate in both can change; that would be unfair to the 95% of the rest of the attendees. It's up to the participants to decipher what is more important to them.

Lilli
03-03-2003, 05:24 PM
:3 It's not a big deal. If Yui and I'd wanted to walk on together badly enough, then we'd probably do it for the JRock Masquerade. Hehe, it'd take more than a 'no group' rule to ruin our plans.

What can I say.
We're just flexible like that.

As I said earlier, I'll just make a different sort of Loli costume entirely :3

Yui
03-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Yeah, you don't have to change your whole format just due to our pestering - I just wanted to know beforehand.

I hope I'll end up being loli enough by myself tho. J-rock-esque, yes...loli?...now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll have to reconfigure my plans as well.

Lilli
03-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Mrrraa? Hehe, Yui-chan could always switch formats and enter the EGA half if she wanted to follow similar lines of either of those two original drawings you did :3 Hehe, or you could spend three torturous hours, and with an old candy wrapper and a dried orange sharpie, whip up some amazing EGL design concept that would take most of us a month to even conceive... :3

That is, of course...

XD Unless you cannot outrun me and my ruffles of doom. DOOM I SAY! *goes after Yui with some pleather, a pair of bat wings, and a tube of glitter*

Edit: publeek edjeemecazhun.

Yui
03-04-2003, 11:14 PM
I had inspiration last night, based off an old character design I did like 4 years ago. I thought I prefer to do a concept no one around here has seen yet. So I'm off the cyber-track and heading towards the 'scarey' end of GL. (I will have to revise the title of my costume - not like it'd make a difference to anybody but myself, I suppose, though.) This one's definitely loli, I should think, though.

Hehe. When all else fails, start mutating things.

Yui
03-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Oh, btw, do we yet know the time that this shall all be going down? This comes first for me, but I might already have cosplay conflicts since everybody seems to want Friday as the meeting day. (even a simple "before noon" or "early evening" or whatever would help out.)

lupineloli
03-04-2003, 11:39 PM
well - the j-rock masquerade is limited to strictly jrock cosplay.
If it's just you two ONLY and not a big group, I can make an exception. email me further on this privately - onyxmoon@pacbell.net

Lilli
03-05-2003, 12:34 AM
._.;; You're a dear and a sweetheart, Lupineloli :3 But... it dosn't seem like you're really reading our posts! LOL!!

Thankyou very much for being so willing and accomodating! (wheeee *huggles!*) But it won't be necessary ._.\/ Yui and I are flexible, and neither of us had started anything at all yet. Daijobu :3 She'll do the scary lolita thing, and I'll do that fluffy thing I do so well, and the world will be a happy place :3

._. Or at the very least a lolita-enriched one.

We know the J-Rock masquerade is strictly that gendre. Yui-chan was asking about the possibility of an idea or a vague time frame, sort of kind of ._.; *though it's so early, it's probably unfair of us to ask, ne?*

Either way, I'm with her, the attack of the lolitas comes first :3

lupineloli
03-05-2003, 04:05 PM
ooohk. Methinks I understand.
Well - if you have any questions regarding either event, feel free to e-mail me.

Yui
03-16-2003, 01:26 AM
Yea...a time is set.
Wasn't it about 11:00am - 1:00pm -last- year, too? I should have just gone on that basis.

Now I wonder if we can get donations to buy 463 cupcakes...

Lilli
03-16-2003, 09:01 PM
o.o ara? *lost* 463 cupcakes?? *fires up her oven and puts on an evil chef hat... don't ask how a chef hat can be evil, this one just is... ._.;*

:3 Why do we need 463 cupcakes?

Yui
03-16-2003, 09:14 PM
cuz it'll be July 4th, silly! ^_-
and we can't fit that many candles on a single cake (they tried that somewhere before...it was messy)

Or better yet, we can start making our curry now...you know, with the good secret meat they have in the back...

Lilli
03-16-2003, 10:53 PM
XD I'm a bad girl!!! How could I have not caught the reference?!?!

The Hidden Meat. "No, they're back there. I know they are."

Edit: :3

lupineloli
03-18-2003, 04:19 PM
EDIT:

Our time slot has changed - we are now at 4:00pm = 6:00pm

p.s. I want a cupcake. :razz:

Velvy
03-22-2003, 05:23 AM
I'm entering the Lolita contest for sure.

Debating on whether or not to make the "Au Revoire" costume and enter both, or to take the time now and decide on another costume or maybe just make the costume anyways for the sheer "It's 'Au Revoire' Mana! Picture Picture!" aspect. :D

Yggdrasil Pie
03-24-2003, 12:30 AM
*looks around*

Is this J-rock events thing scheduled for a specific time yet? ^^

I wanna gooo... Are you still deciding? XD

(Sorry if you already mentioned it...)

soshi
03-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Velvy
Debating on whether or not to make the "Au Revoire" costume and enter both, or to take the time now and decide on another costume or maybe just make the costume anyways for the sheer "It's 'Au Revoire' Mana! Picture Picture!" aspect. :D

first, Au Reviore style Mana is not a lolita style in the least. o__O it's a big flower, as I am sure you have noticed...

second, why would you make a costume just for attention?

lupineloli
03-24-2003, 03:12 AM
OK - class, please stay ON TOPIC!

NEWS:

A date and a time has been set for the J-rock Events. It will be held on Friday, July 4th and it will be from 4:00pm- 6:00pm
Prepare appropriately, cosplayers!

Other news:
Be sure to register for the J-rock Masquerade or the EGL Tournament early - ESPECIALLY if you are a minor because there will be VERY minimal at-con registration and you will be signing a waiver form. Minors, take notice because if your legal guardian is not there, you are out of luck and cannot participate. These waivers are here for everyone's protection. Last year was a bit 'lax but we're going to be crackin' our whips a little more this year, so PLEASE register online ASAP!

Thanks

Yui
03-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Hey, as far as registering for the AotL, you seemed to have changed the sign-up form a bit. (You added something...?) If we were signed up already and needed to edit it, should we use the little sign-up box again or just e-mail you?

Also, is a picture I.D. suitable for the event check-in? (since some of us won't exactly look like our pictures at the time ^_-*) But I figure it's better than just a con badge which has even less info on it...

lupineloli
03-28-2003, 04:15 PM
You need your con badge to get into this event, period. You need your con badge to get into ANY AX event. If you want to bring a photo ID for checking in, that would help, yes. (I still need to get all of these fuzzy details sorted with the higher ups)

Anyway - no, no editing is neccessary at this time. If it is, I will email you personally about it.

lupineloli
03-30-2003, 07:33 PM
OK! Some people are just not "getting it" - You can ONLY submit yourself under the "Classic EGL" - "Gothic EGL" - "EGA" catagories.
The TITLES are to be given out by the judges only!

ALSO:
It has come to my attention that some other site has perhaps taken it upon themselves to put up the OLD submission form - because I keep receiving submissions with the older version of the forum. If there is ANY OTHER site other than the main events site:
Then that site needs to take whatever forum they have off ASAP! Their site is NOT anime expo affiliated and their submission form is WRONG. All submissions using the 'old' form will be automatically DELETED and anyone who applies for anything other than 3 catagories will have to re-submit. I am no longer humored by this - the directions are simple enough - all you need to do is read it properly.
Seriously - it's not that hard.

Yui
03-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Maybe you could change the text block to a radio button choice of the three catagories, so people can't just write whatever in.
...Um, then again, if they can't figure out the instructions, they probably shouldn't be entering. ^_^*

lupineloli
03-31-2003, 03:27 AM
LOL ~ if I were only that savvy with HTML.....That's a great idea, though!

lupineloli
04-08-2003, 03:05 AM
NEWS
Our schedule has been changed! We're still on FRIDAY but our time slot has graciously been bumped up to 4:00pm - 6:00pm!

Please plan accordingly!!

Haruka
04-21-2003, 01:10 AM
Im not sure if you have already stated it yet, but i was wondering WHERE exactly the contest was going to be held? ^_^

lupineloli
04-22-2003, 03:01 AM
Well, we're not just about this one contest. The entire J-rock Events will be held in one of the live programing rooms (LP2, LP3, etc. etc.) If you mean by "where" like IN the room, we have a stage (details about that can be found on the website)

just poke around and most information is up.

lupineloli
04-22-2003, 03:02 AM
OK - since the submission form changed a while back, I need the following people (who have yet to respond to the e-mail I sent out) to e-mail me with their full names (real ones!)
If you submitted with your real name but did not fill out an 'announce as' here is your chance.

So - will the following people PLEASE e-mail me at Onyxmoon@pacbell.net

List

Yui
Isis Minerva Jara
Dako
Trina / Katchoo
Nadia Scott
Daitenshi
Kagome-chan
En'en
Jeff

ALSO - if you have not updated me with a name for your costume, please be sure to do so! Nothing is more embarrassing then me introducing your lovely costume as "untitled" ^-^

lupineloli
05-16-2003, 02:13 AM
EGL/EGA TOURNAMENT NEWS:

If you haven't registered for the EGL/EGA Tournament at Anime Expo's J-rock Events, please do so now! We're down to our last ten entrant spots. After those are filled, there will be NO more spaces!

all details can be found here:

Thanks!

Velvy
05-20-2003, 12:55 AM
Ah, I'm still looking for "Au Revoire" cosplayers. I suppose it's a bit late, buuut it'd be nice to have several other "Au Revoire" cosplayers. ^_^ If not, I can always do my violin thing and look dolly. :D

lupineloli
05-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Make a new post ~ I'm sure there are a few going for it! =D

Special Announcement: Duel Jewel will be performing at Anime Expo 2003! Not at the J-rock Events (eek - we don't have THAT much capacity!) but at another non-conflicting time. Please stay tuned as we keep you updated - and there is already a thread for this discussion in the Anime Expo forum here at Cosplay.com

You finally got it - a j-rock band at AX! ^-^

Daitenshi
05-26-2003, 04:32 AM
*_* Yay!!! I can't make it to Akon and was so sad that I was missing them~ *dances*

lupineloli
06-04-2003, 12:11 AM
HEY ALL! Guess what? ONLY FIVE MORE SPOTS for the EGL/EGA Tournament!!!
Hurry and register if you're serious about joining in - tell your pals who want to join up but do not check this method of updates! The next 5 submission MUST be received by the 15th! EVERYTHING will be closed by the 15th of June!

Sarial
06-26-2003, 01:51 AM
Wasn't their a live jrock at AX? but now cant find anything on it
only that one girl playing her first concert around the US but their WAS someone else...

twilighthush
06-26-2003, 03:57 PM
In regards to Jrock Masquerade -- Silver Ash is a visual kei group who has influence from Jrock Bands -- would I be barred from entering the JRock Masquerade with a Silver Ash costume being that they arent, per say, "JROCK"? (Even though, they are usually grouped with them...)

lupineloli
06-26-2003, 04:45 PM
I think this is OK =)
That is a nice touch, actually ~ Silver Ash is widely accepted and I'd be very pleased to see other fans supporting fans-turned-into bands! Come on and join. Just email me privately with all of the info since the registration is down

=)

Sarial
06-29-2003, 11:41 PM
as quoted from animeexpo forums at
http://pub130.ezboard.com/fanimeexpofrm47.showMessage?topicID=17.topic

AX2003 J-Rock Concert: Duel Jewel !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Duel Jewel Concert

You asked for it. You begged for it. You even bribed us for it. Well - here it is... a J-rock Concert at ANIME EXPO 2003!! Duel Jewel - famed throughout the USA con community & Japan alike - will be performing at Anime Expo.

Thursday, 7-9:30pm at the AX Dance, California Ballroom D
Saturday, 7-9pm at the AX Dance, California D

I WAS RIGHT....atleast as long as this information is right BUT IM RIGHT!
their will be a jrock concert! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oops...i think i wet myself.....no...no its ok...i forgot i was holding a glass of water.

Clueless Case
07-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Hey, Does anyone here have a pic of those two guys makin out durin that j-rock event.....my film ran out before i can take a pic.....curse you guy with shiny pants....

Manaroni
07-09-2003, 07:22 PM
i do, but they are kind of blurry........=(
you can still make out what they are doing, but just a little blurry......

cutekawaii
08-11-2003, 08:51 PM
someone needs to unstick this lol

lupineloli
08-19-2003, 07:57 PM
2 guys making out? 0.0 do you mean my very female Cherry Pie loli and her BOYFRIEND - the Klaha?

dijik0nyo
09-21-2003, 10:03 PM
just got my first DuelJewel CD at NDK7 this weekend! yosh! and anyone (lupineloli) know how often Chisato visits the USA? i use to have his website .. but now the link is broken >< nyo

lupineloli
09-22-2003, 02:20 AM
Due to 9/11, many little fanclub tours amongst various jrock artists were cancelled. I have not been 'in the know' since to have heard anything.

The best things to do is to find the websites for his usual venues (Whisky a-go-go, The Roxy for SoCal) and see what upcoming shows are going on. Also - check the concert/live schedules in the back pages of jrock magazines (SHOXX in particular I believe)

good luck

note to admin: this thread can be un-stickied. thank you greatly for having sticky-ed it.

dijik0nyo
09-23-2003, 10:30 AM
thanx for the infos ^^v (that is one thing i am looking forward to when we move near Tokyo in '05 ... the concerts)