PDA

View Full Version : Noise reduction software?

ZiggyB
10-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone here uses noise reduction software? Something like Noise Ninja (http://www.picturecode.com/).

When I was using my Minolta DiMAGE A1, it would have been really nice to know about something like that. :) Although it was a great camera, anything at ISO 400 and above the photo would get really noisy. At 800, it was basically unusable.

After switching to my Canon EOS 350D though, noise has been less of an issue. Pictures are pretty clean all the way to ISO 800, though 1600 it can get noisy, but still usable, but I try to avoid going that high.

Is there any other software out there that you've had experience with and is it worth it?

Kokuu
10-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Noise Ninja is a great plug-in. My dad reciently bought it for his photography work, and I've started playing around with it a bit. I found that while noise isn't a really big problem for me since I tend to shoot at ISO 400, which is nice and clean with my Canon EOS 300D, but it does clean up pictures pretty nicely if I shoot at 800 or 1600, which tends to get a bit noisy. I think if you do a lot of shooting at low-light levels where you need to bump up the ISO (think Masquerades and other similar things) then Noise Ninja is worth the money.

Bandit64
10-18-2005, 08:13 PM
A lot of my near-pro protography buddies swear by Noise Ninja. I've seen some pretty dramatic results from it, and if I ever shot at a high ISO, I'd probably get it myself.

jtnishi
10-18-2005, 10:18 PM
I happen to use ABSoft Neat Image, which also does a pretty decent job. It's been a while since I've tried the Noise Ninja trial, so I can't remember how it compares. Generally, I don't throw Neat Image into my workflow much anymore, though, just because the Rebel XT's noise never looks bad, and because my workflow's slow enough as is.

Shiro MS08th
10-19-2005, 12:25 AM
I use Neat Image software when needed to.

raye
10-19-2005, 01:56 AM
I've been using Neat Image for a few years (previously for a Nikon Coolpix 5000 that had terrible noise at ISO 400+) and I've been very impressed by the results. Since moving to a DSLR, noise is much more manageable and much less ugly (splotchy color speckles). Still, I run anything about ISO 800 through noise removal just because the results are so nice.

I've tried Noise Ninja too. The results were as good as Neat Image in my limited testing but because I found Neat Image so much more intuitive (and I'm so much more experienced with it) I did not switch over.

It does add considerable time to post processing. Raw conversion, noise reduction, sharpening usually takes 5+ minutes per picture even with using actions to streamline things.

slymonk
10-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Noise Ninja is a wonderful thing for the digital world. It has on occasion made the Make-or-break difference in a shot. It even made some older pictures, and slides come to a new light. I was almost dumbfounded at the difference. I really try not to rely on it, but if I shoot anything over 400 ISO, I almost always will apply it. Sometimes, it makes images a little soft, but more times than not, it helps, not hinders.

I took some pictures recently at the Shed aquarium in Chicago, and anyone here probably knows what a nightmare it is to shoot in an environment like that. I had to crank my Olympus E-300 all the way to 1600 to get the exposure right. Noise Ninja made those pictures a heck of alot better.

TomodachiFriend
10-20-2005, 03:37 AM
I use NeatImage and it's as good as Noise Ninja. NeatImage feels more tweakable but you need to experiment a little more because of this.

ZiggyB
10-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I haven't needed to use any noise reduction plugins yet, but occasionally I would like to tone down the noise a little bit in some of my high ISO photos.

I'll keep both Noise Ninja and Neat Image in mind. :)

staereo
10-25-2005, 08:03 AM
I tried noise ninja. I have been shooting a lot of low light sports at iso 3200 lately. Noise ninja works MAGIC on photos. I paid for the registration about 10 minutes after I tried it.

General consesnus is Noise Ninja is the standard in noise reduction. I bought stand alone and plug in for photoshop. (but only for 8 bit images, because its rare i convert from RAW into 16 bit tifs.. its just excessive for me at this point.)

Bruce