PDA

View Full Version : Natural Lighting?

*junbei*
10-20-2005, 01:18 AM
I want to take a good picture say in the afternoon, so what would be the best way to use the sunlight? Thanks

Sleepy
10-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Hmm... You need to be more specific. What kind of weather conditions are you expecting? What are you taking pictures of? Scenery? Landscapes? Architect? People? Automobiles?

Kokuu
10-20-2005, 04:36 AM
First off, avoid taking photos during high noon, since the sunlight is really harsh at that point. The best times to take photos are in the early-mid morning and late afternoon. When taking photos, you typically want the sun behind you. But since you don't want your model squinting from having to stare into the sun (which will ruin the photo, even in the best lighting conditions), a good compromise is to have the sun to your side, so your model doesn't have to stare into the sun, and you don't have the sun glairing in your shot.

*junbei*
10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah I was thinking about taking pictures of people in the sunlight. Thanks for the tip :)

JadeCat
10-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Shade. Find a tree or something where there is shade. Afternoon light makes for very short harsh shadows, and shadows are what helps make a photo not look flat.

Or, if you have the ability....screens, diffiusers, and the ilk.

tfcreate
10-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Photography in sunlight? 3 words.... Circular... polarizing... filter...
TFC

shiroin
10-22-2005, 02:01 AM
even CPL for protraits?
People says CPLs kills protraits! and personally I have only seen one guy in Japan that uses CPL for all his con shots...

tfcreate
10-22-2005, 03:02 AM
even CPL for protraits?
People says CPLs kills protraits! and personally I have only seen one guy in Japan that uses CPL for all his con shots...

It depends. CPL, in sunlight is a must in my eyes. There is just too much scattered light in most areas that will wash out the colours in most pictures.
Vertical/horizontal polarization may work better in for large groups or in most protraits, but for my money nothing beats the rich colours you gain from them. There may be a noise issue when you use a fast F/Stop, but that can be offset. I do alot of experimentation to see what works best. Usually the first hour of a field shoot is spent with lighting and about a dozen filters.
CPL Group shot+sunlight
http://tfcreate.home.mindspring.com/acen05/images/acen0573.JPG

TFC

shiroin
10-22-2005, 04:21 AM
It depends. CPL, in sunlight is a must in my eyes. There is just too much scattered light in most areas that will wash out the colours in most pictures.
what is with the vinetting?

tfcreate
10-22-2005, 06:46 PM
what is with the vinetting?
I was testing a new set of adapter rings. I'm always doing stuff like that.
Can't leave well enough alone, I guess.
TFC

Bandit64
10-22-2005, 11:24 PM
even CPL for protraits?

Why would CPL kill portraits? I do all of my portraits with CPL traditionally, and I know many other people who do the same.

tfcreate
10-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Why would CPL kill portraits? I do all of my portraits with CPL traditionally, and I know many other people who do the same.

I understand what he's talking about. I've seen some pretty horrible, grainy results when CPL is used with incorrect (or inadequate) lighting.
Polarizers start doing strange things when your lighting gets about 57-58K
TFC