PDA

View Full Version : A Question about A-Kon

TR5368
02-04-2003, 12:24 AM
I know that this is an Anime only Con, but what do u guys think of people that go dressed as something else..Such as Star-Wars? I would assume that it is frowned apon but this is the only costume I have and would like to go without feeling Out of place.

kelldar
02-04-2003, 12:31 AM
I plan on wearing my Amidala at some point at A-kon. (I was going to wear it to katsucon, but I want to wear it sometime warmer ^^;) It's not going to be one of my main costumes, but I wanted to wear it again...
lol I say if someone says you shouldn't be wearing that star wars costume at an anime con, look at 'em real funny and say "what costume?"

TR5368
02-04-2003, 12:35 AM
hehe, that sounds like a good idea, even though noone will be able to see my face. :D I was just asking because a few of my friends went last year as stormtroopers, and they were constantly being asked if they were at the wrong con and stuff like that. I will probably go anywayz, but I wanted the opinion of some others first.

And BTW..I love ur Amidala costume :D

Koumori
02-04-2003, 07:46 AM
Some people think you shouldn't wear anything other than anime/game/jrock costumes to an anime con. So if you do decide to wear a Star Wars costume, be prepared for a lot of strange looks and questions - if that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Celine
02-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Some people do have a problem with the Star Wars, Harry Potter, and other such cosplays... but, on the other hand, sometimes those cosplayers get a lot of attention, especially if they pose with well known anime or game characters. If you want to wear it, I'd say go for it.

Rosiel
02-04-2003, 01:55 PM
I think it's a lot more common at Akon than many other cons. I remember (was it in 2000?) Akon was overrun by Klingons. And Vampire LARPers the next year.

So it seems diversity-friendly enough to me.

Do be prepared for pointed stares from the purists though. ^__^

Selie
02-04-2003, 06:05 PM
I believe I recall reading something on the official A-kon website saying that they aren't just an anime con. Actually, a lot of people who are anime-only lovers have been complaining about how there is more than anime at the convention ... so, while not everyone may be thrilled with the idea, A-kon would probably be a good place to wear a non-anime costume.

(I mean, heck, how many of us wear video game costumes? If the "only anime" rule were strictly enforced, we'd be in trouble!)

TR5368
02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Thank you guys :). So basicly I should find some people to hang with..hehe Is gonna be kinda hard since this is my first Con ever.

Koumori
02-04-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by TR5368
Thank you guys :). So basicly I should find some people to hang with..hehe Is gonna be kinda hard since this is my first Con ever.

If it's your first con, and you're going to wear a costume that deviates from the majority focus, you might be more comfortable with a group of like-minded friends.

Yuna
02-04-2003, 10:40 PM
There was a Boba-fet and Storm Troopers at A-Kon last year (A-Kon 13) and I thought it was awesome! It's really fun for anime or game characters to take goofy pictures with them XDDD~

Selie
02-05-2003, 01:00 AM
As long as you're friendly and not absolutely-utterly-antisocial (in which case you'll probably feel weird at any place with tons of people) you'll find that cons are remarkably easy places to find new friends. You're guaranteed to find people with at least some of your shared interests, and the entire experience is like one huge holiday celebration.

A-kon's a fun place! I'm sure you'll find new friends, even if you go with old friends.

Yuna
02-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Well, that goes without saying.

TR5368
02-05-2003, 03:44 PM
I can get along with anyone, so I should be fine.. :) I know the guys that went as Boba and the stormtroopers last year..I think they are going again this year, but I think they will have anime/game costumes this year.

TR5368
02-05-2003, 04:03 PM
deleted