PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Quality

Fire Elemental
10-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Did anyone other than me get the feeling that the hotel service there was much under par? It seemed to me that we weren't very welcomed. Just wanted to hear some other peoples opinions of this.

KyouKun
10-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Having us shut everything down at 2 AM was very ...well, I've been to 6 and that was a first for me. The hotel was poorly setup for a convention of that sort and just downright rude under many instances. I was very unsatisfied.

fetus
10-23-2005, 08:34 PM
I was pretty angry about the parking issue. I mean, they pretty much made it $20 a day as soon as we got there instead of how it was supposed to be free. And then they wouldn't let us have any more towels. As mentioned earlier, they shut the con down early, so that stunk too.

I just didn't understand it, it's like they wanted to get rid of their guests. I was definitely not satisfied with the service.

ZakuKitty
10-23-2005, 09:33 PM
I can't say I was very pleased with the hotel either. That $20 a day for parking was stupid.

astillar
10-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Personally, I didn't come away with such a negative opinion about the hotel facilities. Sure, the check-in was a long wait, but I attribute that mostly to the breakdown of some of their printers/copiers/pcs at the front desk. But I'm not surprised, check-in never goes quickly or smoothly. I give the staff points though; I came in at noon to a packed lobby and eight hours later, the lobby staff was still going a mile a minute, trying to get everyone squared away. My biggest problem was the reduced elevator capacity. One elevator for a 200-room hotel? I can't stand those waits. So I only took the elevator once this weekend, when I was in costume. The rest of the time I took the stairs. All seven flights of them. With only one vehicle, I didn't have a problem with the $20 fee, but I think it was poorly conceived. The parking lot was packed all weekend and I don't see how charging people money was going to make more spaces magically appear. (Did you guys sign the petition, by the way?) And I don't remember seeing them charge the baseball fans for parking. That would've irritated me if I had paid the $20.
All that aside, I think the rates were fair, considering that the hotel had facilities for all the conventions needs. I've been to other conventions where it costs much more to get a room at the con hotel and this was a welcome change of pace. That alone was enough to put the hotel in my good graces.

Angel_Rinoa
10-23-2005, 09:46 PM
That place was too small and too hot!

Fire Elemental
10-23-2005, 09:59 PM
That place was too small and too hot!
exactly what a friend of mine said

Personally, I didn't come away with such a negative opinion about the hotel facilities. Sure, the check-in was a long wait, but I attribute that mostly to the breakdown of some of their printers/copiers/pcs at the front desk. But I'm not surprised, check-in never goes quickly or smoothly. I give the staff points though; I came in at noon to a packed lobby and eight hours later, the lobby staff was still going a mile a minute, trying to get everyone squared away. My biggest problem was the reduced elevator capacity. One elevator for a 200-room hotel? I can't stand those waits. So I only took the elevator once this weekend, when I was in costume. The rest of the time I took the stairs. All seven flights of them. With only one vehicle, I didn't have a problem with the $20 fee, but I think it was poorly conceived. The parking lot was packed all weekend and I don't see how charging people money was going to make more spaces magically appear. (Did you guys sign the petition, by the way?) And I don't remember seeing them charge the baseball fans for parking. That would've irritated me if I had paid the $20.
All that aside, I think the rates were fair, considering that the hotel had facilities for all the conventions needs. I've been to other conventions where it costs much more to get a room at the con hotel and this was a welcome change of pace. That alone was enough to put the hotel in my good graces.

i really don't have too much of a negative attitude towards it, i just felt very unwelcome. i really can't complain about the rates and price, that was good, i'm more upset how they treated people during the con. or maybe it was just me. they sure didn't like us :sulk:

hanyou741
10-23-2005, 10:19 PM
The hotel was nice, same with the rates and prices. But, they really didn't seem like they wanted us there, it seemed like they weren't ready to have such an convention there. Next year I hope it wil be a better hotel atleast one that will welcome us. As for the parking, I was dropped off so I didn't have to pay, but when I was being picked up my parents had to pay, that kind of pissed them off a little. I still think the first Oni-con was better than this one.

rabidfanboy
10-23-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't really have too many negative thoughts about the hotel itself...it's the way the convention and attendees were handled that gets me going. There will probably be a lot of griping going on from a lot of people so I'm not going to get into that right now.

I had a garden suite so I didn't have to worry about any elevator problems. We were convientantly located next to the pool on the first floor, so I felt we were right in the middle of things. I also checked in on Thursday so there was no line at all. Other than than a few issues I had a great time at this con.

Mr. Corus
10-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Sauna Con '05!

SchizoIori
10-24-2005, 12:34 AM
I wasn't staying at the hotel, but I do know that there were a few things I had small issues with.

-The only ATM was in the gift shop and it was wired to the register so if you were trying to use it while the register was using a credit card, your transaction either wouldn't happen or it'd take forever. That's the first time I've seen that and that's a slight bit inconvenient for a con setting.

-The air conditioning was not working in some areas so it made it slightly uncomfortable for several layers of costume and for active con goers in general.

-I was a little upset with how dark the dealer's room was. I took some pics of people in there and only one of them came out good. It was kinda hard to view some of the merchandise as well in the low lighting.

Parking wasn't an issue to me since we parked in the office building a few blocks over. Far away, but it was free. It wasn't a totally negative experience for me though. Hopefully next year these things will be fixed. There's always small problems with cons so I don't really take them too harshly, but I'm merely comparing this to my other more positive con experiences. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

rabidfanboy
10-24-2005, 01:17 AM
-The only ATM was in the gift shop and it was wired to the register so if you were trying to use it while the register was using a credit card, your transaction either wouldn't happen or it'd take forever. That's the first time I've seen that and that's a slight bit inconvenient for a con setting.

There was actually an ATM in the hotel arcade.

Rip Van Winkle
10-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Starting to think my computer needing emergency reformatting this weekend (thus preventing me from going to Oni) was a blessing in disguise. Sounded right miserable this year.

jinnai
10-24-2005, 03:28 AM
Oh my....I was at Oni-Con 2004 and their staff was so nice...sorry to hear about the hotel problems at this years event. Let's hope for the best in '06!

the only vash
10-24-2005, 03:46 AM
I agree with the whole welcoming situation. It felt very unwelcoming at that hotel. There were many rumors that I had heard about how the hotel was screwing the convention and the attendees over. I won't get into it, cause as of now, they are just rumors and can't confirm it. I wouldn't say it was hot, but it was quite warm in what felt like most of the rooms. Parking seemed to me to be the biggest problem. I didn't wanna pay $20, and I was afraid of getting my car towed, so I just parked at SAM's. It was a nice little walk, caused me to miss a few events, but I'll get over it. The 2AM shutdown was like the biggest bumer. I was attending a "special" event -cough cough- and then staff announced that they had to close at in like 20 mins. Honestly, i think everything will be solved if they find a better hotel for next year. Last year's did seem a lot more fun.

SchizoIori
10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
There was actually an ATM in the hotel arcade.

Whoops, didn't know that. We asked hotel staff and they told us the only ATM was in the gift shop. I dunno maybe it was a ploy to get us to buy something in there.

Misu
10-24-2005, 01:03 PM
:heart: I'll give the hotel one thing - it had some pretty scenery. We got some awesome pics by the hot tub ^^;;
But the con itself was fun! Everyone there was awesome. Even if they DID have to close Yaoifest down early... :(

Nicepants
10-24-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm gonna try and sum all the hotel probs up real quick.

First off, 2 weeks before the con, the hotel was bought by someone else, and the name was changed. Also, the 2nd floor was closed, condemned for renovations due to black mold. So was part of the first floor. That's why the AC in the registration was off most of the time, because the unit for that area was in part of the condemned area, and only certain people were allowed to go mess with it.

So if you have breathing probs or anything, you might want to check with your doctor, and contact con staff.

Also, the parking issue was rediculous. The reason they were charging parking had nothing to do with the hotel, it was because the texans game was that weekend. They were originally going to charge people to park there that wanted to go to the game, but since the hotel people were going to be there instead, they charged them. A few people were even told when they got their passes that shoneys was allowing them to stay in their lot with passes, but then those people got towed.

On friday, shoney's said anyone could park there. On Saturday, they towed everyone.

The hotel staff wanted to try and shut everything down by 11:30. They can't deal with such a large # of people though, so 11:30 became 2 oclock, each night. The hotel staff ALSO called the cops after 2:00

Luckily, the cops apparently told the hotel staff they were screwed, and didn't come.
Sunday, no real probs, cause everyone was leaving, which made the hotel all kinds of happy.

Oh, by the way, word has it the hotel is actually being torn down like.. next month, for another hotel entirely to be built there.

Danzikumaru
10-24-2005, 04:05 PM

Seriously though, the black mold count was at an illegal high and it was all over the place. If any of you are having health problems, don't just contact your doctor, contact a lawyer as well. The hotel was obstinate about not honoring it's original owners' contract with the convention. That, in my opinion, is reason enough to have a large amount of distaste for the situation.

Fire Elemental
10-24-2005, 04:37 PM
:heart: I'll give the hotel one thing - it had some pretty scenery. We got some awesome pics by the hot tub ^^;;

I'd have to agree with you there. awesome scenery, and great pic opportunities.

Tenya Muyo
10-24-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm gonna try and sum all the hotel probs up real quick.

First off, 2 weeks before the con, the hotel was bought by someone else, and the name was changed. Also, the 2nd floor was closed, condemned for renovations due to black mold. So was part of the first floor. That's why the AC in the registration was off most of the time, because the unit for that area was in part of the condemned area, and only certain people were allowed to go mess with it.

So if you have breathing probs or anything, you might want to check with your doctor, and contact con staff.

Also, the parking issue was rediculous. The reason they were charging parking had nothing to do with the hotel, it was because the texans game was that weekend. They were originally going to charge people to park there that wanted to go to the game, but since the hotel people were going to be there instead, they charged them. A few people were even told when they got their passes that shoneys was allowing them to stay in their lot with passes, but then those people got towed.

On friday, shoney's said anyone could park there. On Saturday, they towed everyone.

The hotel staff wanted to try and shut everything down by 11:30. They can't deal with such a large # of people though, so 11:30 became 2 oclock, each night. The hotel staff ALSO called the cops after 2:00

Luckily, the cops apparently told the hotel staff they were screwed, and didn't come.
Sunday, no real probs, cause everyone was leaving, which made the hotel all kinds of happy.

Oh, by the way, word has it the hotel is actually being torn down like.. next month, for another hotel entirely to be built there.

For those who felt that the hotel was not welcoming us, you're right in your assumptions. Rumor is the new owners of the hotel didn't want us there in the first place. So yes, we were getting the very cold sholder.

We discovered mold in our bathroom as well (been feeling weak and weird since i got back), and i was around when they started shuting con rooms down!! I must say this is the first time I've EVER been to a con when places that have always remained open 24hrs. get shut down!! Can we say stupid everyone?? I was also there when they threatend us with either going back to our rooms or jail. Glad they got the brush off from the cops; may they know the feelings we experienced by their hands.

For parking i pose this same question that my parents asked when i got home and told them what happened: "If it was for the Texans game, why couldn't they wait til Sunday when the con was closing?" Fill in your own reasons, but i call it being greedy and mean, and perhaps means to try and turn us away from our event! Off of a tip from a friend staying at the Best Western next door, i parked there with no fear of towing and keeping money in my pocket! They didn't deserve anymore of money anyway.

All in all, I'm sorry Oni-con staff had to deal with all that S@#$! With all the complaints against it, it service sucking, and potential health problems, i'll be glad to see the place brought down. Hang in there, Oni-con staff! You did right by me!:jjacks:

hanyou741
10-24-2005, 05:23 PM
yeah, the garden view was really nice, thats where most of my pictures ended up being taken.

KyouKun
10-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Perhaps a large group of the convention goers should go for the event of the Hotel being torn down so we can cheer the event as it takes place.

loserific
10-24-2005, 05:32 PM
I had a wonderful time at Oni-con this year and the con staff did an excellent job with handling the hotel. My friends and I had our problems as well, but not as bad as some. (So sorry for you guys. ;_:)

-We had pizza Friday night(yum XD) and we left our boxes outside along with some other trash that night..well..it stayed there all weekend. My mom said even the dumpster were full.

-Our housekeeping was not good, which I think a lot of people went through. We didn't have mold, but there was blood(or we thought) on the curtains and the chair that I was sitting in while sewing broke. Another thing that most people as well as us went through was not getting towels or anything requested. We did end up getting towels I think Sunday though.

-My mom also was NOT happy with the parking fee...at all.

-They never brought more water either at times..I was so thirsty. I heard the ravers really needed it. ;_:

-I remember Friday night, my little group were in our Harvest Moon cosplay. It was so hot. ><;; My friend was a sheep and had the hottest costume of all on. Plus I had layers on so it wasn't nice. ><;;

My mom called the hotel today and they said they didn't have to honur the contract at all. o.o But overall though, I had a good time and the con was good..just the hotel..eh..not good..at all. >>;;;;

Fire Elemental
10-24-2005, 06:05 PM
i agree. the con was awesome, no doubt there.. best con i've EVER been to, and its only been like, my fourth. the hotel was my biggest complaint though, and i wished they had gone to the original hotel

Ryo-sama
10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
OMG! The Hotel sucked!!! I hear legal actions will be placed... The hotel went against the contract!

the hotel closed down the convention at 2am (aka the 24hr con wasnt 24hrs)
hotel security threaten to arrest ppl who were on the floor past 2am...
the AC was wacky
the elevators were outta order
the restaurant service was horrible..

and the list goes on!! the con itself was fun... but... yeah... the hotel.... SUUUUUUUUCKED~

hanyou741
10-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Holy crap! They threatend to arrest people who were just walking around after 2?! ..I didn't think you could even do that. I wasn't there at that time, cause I didn't stay at the hotel. I live in houston, so I stayed at my house, but either way that can not be legal..

Knightfall
10-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Whoa... I knew things were gonna get bad once they tried shutting down the rave, but I had no idea it was THIS bad. I somewhat feel better that it wasn't just our room that got messed with. A couple of us in the group couldn't stop sneezing all weekend. Now I think we have a reason.

JKCChan
10-25-2005, 03:04 AM
Lol, Knightfall, I coulda sworn the people in our group said they sneezed tons cause they were allergic to bad hotels ^^

Danzikumaru
10-25-2005, 04:13 AM
My mom called the hotel today and they said they didn't have to honur the contract at all.

Except by law they HAVE to. When you purchase a buisness, you purchase their transactions and assets. That includes event contracts. Period. I suggest legal action in this case. They have clearly violated the law on both a state and national level

Knightfall
10-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Lol, Knightfall, I coulda sworn the people in our group said they sneezed tons cause they were allergic to bad hotels ^^

Well, yeah, that among other things...:p

Ayane_Eiketsu
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
What made me angry is that my friend was sitting in the lobby READING and got yelled at (it was 2AM) and was told to go to her room, but since she didn't have the key (there were eight of us and only four keys -_-;;; ) she just sat out in front of the door and continued reading. Then the "security person" was wandering the Fourth Floor and yelled at her again! :fuming:

Then later the security guard was no where to be seen at 4-5AM because me and Kisaki were sitting in the lobby talking until 5AM and they never said anything, then there was a Toga Party on the Fourth Floor and "security" didn't do a thing about it. And those people were WAAAAY louder than the people sitting in the hallway reading and drawing........WTF!?! :angry: :angry:

katawa_kochou
10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I have never been treated so POORLY by ANYONE in my life. And that's saying a lot because I work in retail...

When I got to the room, there were no towels, and there was a huge ass stain on the floor..I was told that I couldn't have a room change, because there were no available rooms. I was also told that we could not have any extra pillows, or towels, because the hotel staff had been instructed to not give out any extras. (Her EXACT words were "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to give out any extra towels or pillows this weekend) I was threatened with jail time TWICE; once for asking to see documentation of the supposed 'contract' they signed with the convention heads that stated the hotel could charge us 20$ a day for parking, and AGAIN when a group of us were playing Apples to Apples in the lobby (after getting the lights turned off on us down in the con area). The man said "You can either go to your rooms, or go to jail" when we protested being kicked out of the lobby. On Sunday, we had been checked out for maybe... half an hour before they tried to kick us out of our room. I have NEVER been kicked out of a convention hotel room. EVER. I've checked out at twelve and usually kept our bags in the room with the door propped open so we could pack it all up later. (cause no one wants to leave their wigs in a hot car for a few hours while they try to have the last bit of fun at the con). I have been to a lot of crappy hotels, but this takes the cake.

megumibish
10-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Friday night me, Ryo-sama and Amaya DeMorte decided to roam and see what was open. Didn't really know about it closing down at 2, and well we were up at like 4 a.m. we started to go down the artist alleyway?... and sure enought there was some guy saying we need to go to our rooms, first of all we were like WTF! We are looking for the 24 hour video rooms. Then he's like you all need to go back to your rooms. They Ryo-sama was like we paid for a 24 hour conventions. And we should have a right to walk about. He's was like we shut down everything. And finally said if you don't go back to your rooms I'm calling the cops on you. After that we started to roam the floors. *cuz you know cosplayers really don't ever sleep* one by one.

Amaya De'Morte
10-25-2005, 02:53 PM
lmao that was fun.. and now we know why the second floor was closed down! -dies-

I didn't want to go to jail.. sounded frightening, lol.

saturday night I was sitting out front talking with a friend and greg aires (that one voice actor fellow, probanbly spelt his name wrong x.x) and the hotel guy (the scary one that went around shouting at everyone) told us we had to leave. That was about the time that they were trying to call the police, but were told nothing could be done..

-shakes head- silly hotel.

.:Mone:.
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
My friends and I also had a LOT of the same problems with the hotel.

Called multiple times for towels, never got any.

We also put trash outside our door because we had no trash can in our room, and it stayed outside for who knows how long.

The AC was set on 45 and never cooled down the room.

The curtains were crappy cuz there was no extra fabric to close them, so we took sewing pins and rigged the curtains to cross over each other, gave us OK coverage so we could take a nap.

Our shower head sucked and out friend went to take a bubble bath and it took forever to fill up the tub.

The lighting was also crappy for putting on make-up, etc.

We didn't feel welcomed AT ALL. But the lady at registration that kept looking for a room for us was very nice, but then again we were nice to begin with. We chose the first available room, instead of the reserved rooms for the convention and we got a room on the 3rd floor....the smoking floor. Bleh. But dude I could so totally tell that some people took FULL advantage of it and lit up some green.....

I had no idea about the mold situation. that's horrible.

But we did have a fridge , that was nice.

Some other things:
Sunday when we were leaving and walking to the stairs past our room, we saw one of the band members from Phantasmagoria hanging out by a room, and I wanted to run after him and take a piccy or say hi or something, but he walked to the elevator.

Also at like 2 AM someone knocked on our door and asked if there was a party in our room, and i was all like "not right now :3" He woke me up XD. My usband and our guy friends were running around the hotel with a camera telling pepole there was a party in our room. LOLZ

Also, just ONE of the oni-con staff gave us a major headache >.> He pushed my friend getting out of the phantasmagoria concert and she was falling over. we waited for him outside, and we asked for an apology, but he just gave us a RUDE answer and cussed at me.....we have it on video too. Later on we got an apology...thats all we wantes, but i told him that there was a thing called "Professionalism" and if he is getting payed, he doesn't need to be pushing ppl around, What if he pushed a little kid like that and they got hurt? Thats the only reason we complained to oni-con staff.

Chibi Yunie
10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
The hotel was very sub-standard. Gah, that sounds a little rude, but. ^^ None of the elevators were working, and I wanted to get into costume, so instead of waiting, we had to use the stairs, and the stairs were really hard to find in the first place!

Plus, the whole black mold thing. I've been sick for the past few days..probably not BECAUSE of that, but it just makes me feel uncomfy, you know?

..Those are my two cents. Or more. :P

Danzikumaru
10-30-2005, 02:50 AM

In all seriousness, we have every right to take legal actions against this hotel. As customers of the hotel, we were given some of the worst hospitality one can imagine. This is ASIDE from convention related problems. This hotel made the hotel from Ushicon 4 look hunky dory...at least they didn't threaten police action against perfectly innocent people

Knightfall
11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
This hotel made the hotel from Ushicon 4 look hunky dory...at least they didn't threaten police action against perfectly innocent people

I was waiting for someone to make that comparisson. It was only a matter of time.

Caiyne
11-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Omg .. the hotel was AWFUL !!!
Aside from being treated like crap from the staff they refused to bring me fresh towels even though I called the front desk at least 10 times and even went down there in person once too. I ended up having to use my friends used towel ><;; ahhh It wont be at that hotel next year though ^^ I'm pretty sure about that lol

ayn*chan
11-02-2005, 10:46 PM
I was waiting for someone to make that comparisson. It was only a matter of time.

Heh, it's true though. The hotel staff at Ushicon 4 wasn't so fabulous either. But like it was mentioned earlier -- at least they didn't threaten us with jail time.

Fluffy-chan
11-03-2005, 03:09 AM
Aside from the obvious, (crappy hotel service and AC problems) I'd have to say the worst thing for me was the mold. I got really sick on Sunday and I looked like crap. XD @_@

Some of my cosplay pics came out horrible because I was sick. ;_;