PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter school robes!

Lee Kushrenada
10-24-2005, 06:26 PM
HI!
I've been wanting to cosplay Harry for a wile now... I even got all the things I need to make his robes...but I can't find a patern, to same my life!
all the other thread's I've seen here for Harry are all dead.
so any help would be great!
thank you very much.

Kyuriko
10-24-2005, 07:24 PM
You'll have better luck in the Harry Potter thread that already exists.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=13168

Lee Kushrenada
10-24-2005, 08:30 PM
yes but like I said, all the link's are dead or long gone.

Pretty_Panda
10-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I think it kind of depends on what verison your making, PoA or the older ones.

I used Simplicity 5840 for the PoA, with the alterations from here: http://www.geocities.com/myfortunatestars/poarobes.html

So far I have had a pretty good result for my first try.
Unless your making the ones from the first two movies, then I can't really help you there.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask and (hopefully) I'll be able to help ^^

kiwi
10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I think it kind of depends on what verison your making, PoA or the older ones.

I used Simplicity 5840 for the PoA, with the alterations from here: http://www.geocities.com/myfortunatestars/poarobes.html

So far I have had a pretty good result for my first try.
Unless your making the ones from the first two movies, then I can't really help you there.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask and (hopefully) I'll be able to help ^^

5840 yeilds a circus tent of epic proportions. Use it only if you're very plus sized or 6 feet tall. (Worked great for my 6'2" boyfriend, looked TERRIBLE on me at 5'3", size 8-ish.) It's problematic because the pattern is not scaled at all! I ended up recutting all of my pieces and skimming off *a lot* of fabric from the sides and shoulder seams. Butterrick has a better pattern because it's designed for women. Still a little tenty, but it's actually wearable unlike 5840. I don't recall the number, but it's paired with a faux-medieval/LotR-type dress. I can dig through my patterns and find the number if you'd like. (It's still in print; I got it this season.)

Fallen_Jenova
10-27-2005, 09:32 PM
I guess it depends on how much time and money you have to put in it. I've made two before. Mine was made from some Butterrick pattern (may be the same brought up below). Had to do a lot of work on it to fit my height (5'0") and size, but it turned out pretty good after I added everything else.
The second one I did in an afternoon, my sister up and decided she wanted to dress up. I got one of those graduation robes that people wear the one time and dump at the thrift store. I was able to fix it to fit pretty well then added all the extras.

Garuda_Aiacos
10-28-2005, 01:14 AM
5840 yeilds a circus tent of epic proportions. Use it only if you're very plus sized or 6 feet tall. (Worked great for my 6'2" boyfriend, looked TERRIBLE on me at 5'3", size 8-ish.) It's problematic because the pattern is not scaled at all! I ended up recutting all of my pieces and skimming off *a lot* of fabric from the sides and shoulder seams.

I hated the Gi pattern from Simplicity 5840 cause with only 2 size differences, the part that connect the body to the sleeves ended up on my elbow! :eeek:

For me, I used McCall 3663 (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M3663.htm?tab=costumes&page=7) for mine. What I did was modify the width of the robe to fit my 45" Cloth on the Fold (aka full length of hem will be about 88") and the sleeves hem to be about 1.5-2x the width of the Armhole. Turned out good so far for me and friends BUT for one of my friends, it looked too straight as she is nearly 6' tall (I am 5' 1").

Anyway, you have to modify the pattern regardless of which one you use as they are either not full enough or lack certain parts or too full. ;)

Kairi G
10-28-2005, 05:41 PM
we do already have a thread where a lot of this has been discussed...

Garuda_Aiacos
10-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Some people just need the quick answers.