PDA

View Full Version : Pomp and Circumstance...

The Lord XL
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Heya fellow Photaku. Seeing as I am in my junior year of high school. I'd firgure that this would be a good time to start looking at good photo schools.

I'm Building up quite the portfolio. Unfortunately I have a lack of traditional B&W negitives and prints. I work in all digital. (hey... you try developing and printing in a High School Darkroom...)

Now.. My grades are not the best, but I do fall around a 3.0GPA. I have Two Years High School Instruction on photography. Next year I will be attending a High School program where I will be focused on Occ. Training for photography.

I have been looking at FiT in New York City. They look like a great photo school, but I have also looked at NYU. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

PS: I'm looking to convert a room in my house to a darkroom. So I can start boosting the B&W's in my portfolio. I did a search, but I could find no hardcore, detailed, instructions. Nothing big; just to fit one enlarger, and a place for chemicals.

staereo
11-02-2005, 09:00 AM
I was accepted to hallmark, considered a staple of photographic schools...

http://hallmark.edu/

Its a ten month course. They find financing for your expenses, and network you into a job at the end of your study.

Its intense, and the course is about 32k for the ten months. You need an accepted medium format camera, light meter, etc.. Its about 5-6k in expenses above that 32.

You are not permitted to work while going there. (Unless a work study, for the school only)

I dont know what youre looking for.

Just so you understand, though, kodak has dropped their b&w papers from production, and this is no isolated incident. Film is losing it's place in professional photography. I would take my chances and say its at least 50% phased out. Probably much much more.

Digital is the new wave, and the chemicals can't pick up a full spectrum of light as the photo sensors of today can. So aside from being so specialized in film; OR for sentimental value, film is gone.

I'm not saying to give up with film. I think film is fun, and it's how I started out. Just realize that digital is the way of the future and thats what professional workflows are now turning to.

So be ready and able to put that film down as clients ask for the speed and format that digital provides.

-Cheers
Bruce

(PS: In photography school applications, GPA is not that big of an issue. You're looking at 1) commitment to the art. 2) drive for pursuing a career in photography. 3) portfolio that shows promise and commitment. You dont need to be a pro when you start at school. just appear to be able to be one once youre finished.)

ZiggyB
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm sorry, but this forum is for discussion Cosplay Photographer, so I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread. However, good luck in finding a good school that fits you.