PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

Otaking97
11-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Hello everyone. I'm taking over for Program Wrangler and Panelist Co-ordinator for NAF 2006. I myself have some ideas of new events/panels but I want to hear from YOU! The fan, the antendee, the cosplayer. What do you want to see at the next NAF? What would you like do do at the next NAF? Maybe there is something you have always wanted to be done by a con and it never has yet? Well there's no better time to start than now right?

Any suggestions send them my way.

Thanks.

KazeChan
11-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Hello everyone. I'm taking over for Program Wrangler and Panelist Co-ordinator for NAF 2006. I myself have some ideas of new events/panels but I want to hear from YOU! The fan, the antendee, the cosplayer. What do you want to see at the next NAF? What would you like do do at the next NAF? Maybe there is something you have always wanted to be done by a con and it never has yet? Well there's no better time to start than now right?

Any suggestions send them my way.

Thanks.

Sadly next year i cannot make it.. but if I think of anything, i'll post here again, so that you guys can get more things to do =D

hibekisensai
11-17-2005, 08:48 AM
I am curious, how many people attend the Toronto Anime Cons? From the schedule, I see there are 2 in Toronto? I am thinking of going to Anime North, and am curious to the con-size... I think the size of the con has a lot to do with the types of events you can realistically incorporate, or you have a bunch of rooms of the same thing...??

Anyway, an event I think would be really cool, and definitely probably has aleady been done (I am not a veteran con-goer...yet!:razz: ) would be a forum where everyone comes in to discuss their favorite anime, but the whole time in the forum would be dedicated to everyone who attended the forum would have to stand up, or go on stage, and the audience either guess their cosplay, or they tell the audience, maybe why they chose the character, and name off some favorite anime series/games and what it is about the series/game that makes it so cool...and maybe some audience comments or questions on the anime... I know this doesn't sound like an original idea, but I think if the con staff "encouraged" everyone to do this, people would loosen up and be more outgoing, and make the forum a really fun way to meet people and maybe hear things you otherwise would have never gotten to hear about cosplay, anime, etc. I am always curious as to the specific types of anime people like, and how it affects them, or what it means to them, if anything at all!!! All the other con-events like Otaku Family Fued, Cosplay Shougi, etc. are all real cool, but I would like to see events that really focus on the attendees and to have a scope on why people go to anime cons in general- their love of anime/gaming/etc.!

I know it is the attendees that make a con special, but I think the staff also can really "shape" the characteristics and general feelings of a con for con-goers....for example, Youmacon 2005 (Nov.11-13) was Metro Detroit's first ever anime con, and it was a huge success primarily because the event and programming staff created the "feel" and environment of the con, which was very laid back, fun, and they made all the con-goers feel at home, so people loosened up more and were extremely respectful to each other, and ultimately it made the con feel like it had been running for years!

So I guess my suggestion isn't really a new event, but rather an approach or a way to add a fresh spin to things already done...

Mekou
11-17-2005, 11:46 AM
>> I know it is the attendees that make a con special, but I think the staff also can really "shape" the characteristics and general feelings of a con for con-goers....for example, Youmacon 2005 (Nov.11-13) was Metro Detroit's first ever anime con, and it was a huge success primarily because the event and programming staff created the "feel" and environment of the con, which was very laid back, fun, and they made all the con-goers feel at home, so people loosened up more and were extremely respectful to each other, and ultimately it made the con feel like it had been running for years!

Talk to anyone who's already attended NAF and they'll tell you we do that already. ^^ Most people say we're like a family con. I can'y say for sure about all the staff, but myself and the Masquerade Co-Ordinator (Ochika) always love chatting with people and making them have fun. It's almost become a tradition to gather all the cosplayers at the con, go outside and have a mass group photoshoot. XD.

The problem we have is that we're understaffed. SEVERELY. If you want to help makes things better or feel different, please volunteer. There's only a small handful of us who are running this con and we can't do it alone.

fourthmage
11-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I was just wondering, (I may be overlooking this somewhere) but what is the date of NAF?

I'm from that area originally and will be coming back for a few months in the summer, so i'm hoping that I can make it. I'd bring lots of people with me :)

Mekou
11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
>> I was just wondering, (I may be overlooking this somewhere) but what is the date of NAF?

NAF will be on July 22nd, 2006. :)

Otaking97
11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
I was just wondering, (I may be overlooking this somewhere) but what is the date of NAF?

I'm from that area originally and will be coming back for a few months in the summer, so i'm hoping that I can make it. I'd bring lots of people with me :)

Northern Anime Festival 2006 will be held on Saturday, July 22nd 2006 at Durham Collage and UOIT oshawa campus!

Keep the suggestions coming people. They are all welcomed. Because NAF is a smaller con the staff is VERY in tune with the attendees. I have never been talked to / treated as well than NAF. Why do you think I joined staff?

Schubuttercup
11-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Just keep doing what you do. Don't make major changes, sometimes they don't come out like you want them too.

TMoffatt
11-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Aye. Well, one idea that we've been bantering around is having sort of a summer-camp feel. Using the volleyball nets, getting some outdoor random fun activities going on. Something involving a nerf gun and a beach ball.

Do you think that would fly well?

Otaking97
11-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Aye. Well, one idea that we've been bantering around is having sort of a summer-camp feel. Using the volleyball nets, getting some outdoor random fun activities going on. Something involving a nerf gun and a beach ball.

That would be interesting. However it's not something I myself would be interested in as a cosplayer. Since it's July it's hot out and my costumes are normally already pretty hot so playing games outside in the heat would be....not fun. However I'm sure other games can be played without my worry about getting all hot and sweaty. Maybe other people think I'm crazy and are down with it? Guess we'll find out. There is a large area of grass that can certainly be utilized somehow for fun.....hmmm....

Mekou
11-29-2005, 02:37 AM
Hopefully next summer will have a bit more rain so outside won't be all dead. =/ Grass hurts to sit on when it's dead...

And we have to think about non-cosplayers too. =) Maybe they would like a reason to be outside for a bit? I think having some sort of outside-weather permitting-event.

heki-chan
11-29-2005, 03:01 AM
A Bbq? :) it'd be cool to have one with everyone *_*

ikegami
11-30-2005, 03:47 PM
A BBQ would be awesome!

Pros: 1) An excuse to be outside. 2) A solution to the lack of nearby restaurants. 3) Yummy

Cons: 1) Might not be able to get permission. 2) Might interfere with the Guest Dinner. 3) (unlikely) Problems from smoke and fire.

Otaking97
11-30-2005, 05:50 PM
There certainly is lot's of picnic tables and stuff out there? But didn't they have a BBQ last year? ''Can't remember''.

Either way I like BBQ's very much too.

All suggestions welcome. Keep them coming. So far so good everyone.

Mekou
11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
A BBQ is already on the list of plans (and has been since the first meeting after the con)! =D We've affectionately called it the Jeggy BBQ. HAHA! It'll basically be a cheap alternative to the guest dinner and the solve the problem of the lack of food. ^^ I hope to convince the board to have it all (aka most of the) day, which would partially eliminate the food problem (I say partially because some people are picky eaters. =P)

It'll definately get discussed at our next meeting, and then I'll post a bit more detail about it. ^^

shiro_hikaru
12-05-2005, 07:45 AM
dibs on being a ninja again!!!!! it was fun trying to blend in with the fallen window cover!!!

Mekou
12-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Yay, we have our stage ninja! XD *hugs Kevin*

Kia
12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
dibs on being a ninja again!!!!! it was fun trying to blend in with the fallen window cover!!!
Wern't you and Seed-chan the ONLY stage ninjas? lol ^_^

shiro_hikaru
12-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't remember if there was another ninja with me? I think I might have been the only one at last year's NAF

Mekou
12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Shiro was the only "official" stage ninja. XD Technically Seed-chan was working Green Room though she ended up technically being a stage ninja. <_<

Seed-chan
12-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Shiro was the only "official" stage ninja. XD Technically Seed-chan was working Green Room though she ended up technically being a stage ninja. <_<
You know coz I gotz teh ninja skillz.... or because I tend to do random odd jobs anyways XD

novaraven1
12-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi, how do people volunteer for this con? I kinda live nearby, at least, it's closer to me than TO and cheaper for me to get there. I was in the artist alley last year and it was a really fun little con.

I wish they had kept the anime showing rooms going past 12 tho cause I didn't get to watch anything until after the alley and masq shut down and you guys had some really cool stuff there! (also, leave someone in the unlocked rooms with all your equipment next time cause we could have made off with everything)

Me and my small group of friends were shocked that so few people turned up for the dance. We tried to call up more of our friends just to get them out there for the dance but lack of rides did us in. The music, (for once at a con) was actually decent. Techno rules. :) Maybe food at the dance would keep people there longer? And they wouldn't have to trek to a restaurant and back?

More tables and stuff out back where you had the greenroom would be awesome too so people can go sit out there and cool off after dancing, if you're still using the same room this year. I wanted to see pretty tea lights and a more romantic setting out back so we wouldn't have to have creepy people making out behind the dumpsters in the parking lot. Cause if you give them a place to do it where we can see them... LOL

heki-chan
12-06-2005, 01:52 AM
I have a quick question *_*

How come dealer tables are smaller (4x2) than the AA tables (5x2) but cost 5x more? O_O

Mekou
12-06-2005, 05:02 AM
>> Hi, how do people volunteer for this con? I kinda live nearby, at least, it's closer to me than TO and cheaper for me to get there.

Contact Mark (Tsukasa_1 here) and he'll either talk to you or direct you to Tim and we'll find something you can help with. =D

>> I wish they had kept the anime showing rooms going past 12 tho cause I didn't get to watch anything until after the alley and masq shut down and you guys had some really cool stuff there! (also, leave someone in the unlocked rooms with all your equipment next time cause we could have made off with everything)

Do you mean 12am? o_O Anyways, the problem is simply we don't have the manpower to run everything. Less than 10 people currently run EVERYTHING for this con. ^^ So if someone has to go run something else, whatever they're currently running has to shut down unless/until someone else can take over. And thanks for the unlocked room comment. o.O I'll tell the boys about that one...

>> Me and my small group of friends were shocked that so few people turned up for the dance. We tried to call up more of our friends just to get them out there for the dance but lack of rides did us in. The music, (for once at a con) was actually decent. Techno rules. Maybe food at the dance would keep people there longer? And they wouldn't have to trek to a restaurant and back?

You can thank the music selection choices to myself, Chibik3r0 and Seed-chan and a few others. :D In our previous year (2004), we had the Masq and Dance in the Student Center. But due to some..um...problems...we couldn't use that space again in 2005. But during the dance in 2004, popcorn and drinks and I think a few others thinks were available just outside the room, but I don't think anyone bought anything. We'll definatle keep the suggestion in mind and try to find some way to have food available at the dance. But again, it's up to manpower.

>> More tables and stuff out back where you had the greenroom would be awesome too so people can go sit out there and cool off after dancing, if you're still using the same room this year. I wanted to see pretty tea lights and a more romantic setting out back so we wouldn't have to have creepy people making out behind the dumpsters in the parking lot. Cause if you give them a place to do it where we can see them... LOL

LOL I really didn't want to have the Greenroom outside, but there was almost no other option. (The only option would be to have people in a room far from the Cafeteria, and then bring them in just walking plain where everyone can see them before they get on stage. Which kinda ruins the effect of a Masq IMO). But The black cutrains are EXPENSIVE. We're looking into other options and hopefully we'll have something better than outside. XD

Tsukasa_1
12-06-2005, 08:20 AM
I have a quick question *_*

How come dealer tables are smaller (4x2) than the AA tables (5x2) but cost 5x more? O_O

The information on the site RE Artist Alley is outdated and will be updated by Adam Evenden in Janurary, We are seperating the AA into a room of its own- the tables inside that room will also be 4x2.

On the subject to cost, Dealers VS Artists- although it could be debated, dealers are able to make their table costs back a lot more easier then artists in some cases, it is also part of the budget breakdown as well to keep costs within reason across the board.

Kaijugal
01-04-2006, 07:58 AM

That would be better if NAF had access to a pool. ^_^" Darn it, because that could be quite fun, especially if we made silly anime based vollyball outfits. ^_^ *amused grin*

If you go with an outdoor games theme, I'd be happy to send some suggestions along, I worked at camps for several years and have some that could be very theme appropriate. i.e. Ninjas and Spys. ^_^

I think the NUMBER ONE thing you guys should be focusing on is how to solve the food problem. I got to eat last year because we had a car. If I or anyone involved in the masquerade had relied on that pizza that was being offered we all would have gone hungry.

I am well aware that most attendees don't have a car at thier disposal all weekend, and there is no food places conveniently nearby. I think that's the number 1 turn off factor at this point when considering buying a weekend membership. (or staying late on saturday etc).

If you can't arrange for something you should make it VERY CLEAR on your website that people should pack thier own food.

Perhaps make a consuite available with things like electric kettles with hot water, (For instant soup), and plastic cutlery etc. Maybe make a basic tuck shop. Even if people can get things as simple as a glass of water it would be helpful, (I find people are usually so dehydrated during cons because they don't take care of themselves/don't want to / can't afford to pay for the very expensive bottled water in the machines). Could you get a room at the college to do that?

I think the bbq idea is a really fun one as well. The only caveat being alternative plans if it rains.

You're growing towards being a good sized convention now, and it's time for this to be addressed more than "lets order in a few pizzas" which was fine in the past.

Tsukasa_1
01-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Dawn:

Sorry for the delay in the post- I just had to run by what information I've recieved from the venue last week with the other ConCom members to see how to handle this issue.

Anyways, interesting enough we are offically allowed to sell food on the campus more so then just pizza, so I see that having the tuck shop idea more possible this time around, including a mini coffee shop heh, further more though- I've lost the biddings of chartwells meaning they have decided to up the catering costs (this is what prompted the venue to have a change of heart)- anyways I will not be able to start registeration until I find another company that will cater Northern Anime Festivals dinning event- I am predicting that information RE registration to be active by late January or early Febuary.

Now- another note to make here is there has been major changes to the transit system in Durham Region- we are currently in talks with the regions transit system to see and/or map out the best route for everyone who lives within durham to get here, once this information arrives I will be posting it on the website under the Location information link.