PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Technique Help

laceyluvr2
11-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok. Im not really a beginner at photoshop, like I can do lots of stuff with it an all, but I honestly have no idea how people do that awesom effect where their skin gets much lighter but their eyes or lips or whatever they want stays dark. How on EARTH do you DO it??! I've been trying to figure it out for ages and I just had the idea to try asking on here seeing how I see many peoples pictures with that effect. You can reply on here, or email me(would be better) at imadison2000@comcast.net or AIM me at SharpieSnifferUM thanks a bunch.

midare
11-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Myself I use the selection wand or one of the lasso tools to select the portions I want... if need be I invert my selection and "de select" things like eyes or lips, whatever. Then I use either the overlappign colour-blob cirles whose name I forget to tweak colours. Or I go to I think it's "Enhance" >"Adjust colour" and tweak the hues, saturation and darkness levels. This way usually gives me more customization.

Hope that helped. I suck at tutorials.

staereo
11-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Im not exactly sure what youre looking for, but if you can show me an example where it may have been done, and you permit me to try and re create it, I'd be happy to give you the history of my adjustments so you can attempt it yourself.

Bruce

laceyluvr2
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
WOW! Thanks so much that is SO nice! Here is one http://images.cosplay.com/photos/52/525587.jpg by KeiLovesAkui.

Vicky
11-09-2005, 06:16 PM
That doesn't look like anything fancy.
Up the lighting and contrast. Play with it a bit.
To get that effect, anyway.

jtnishi
11-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah, that's just a high contrast move, probably with some increase in brightness. Especially doable if you used a strong flash in your shot. If you know how to deal with curves in PS, that looks like as if the right half of the curve has been pulled WAY up.

laceyluvr2
11-09-2005, 11:52 PM
i've finally done it! it doesnt quite look as cool as everyone elses but im still tweaking with it. yay. thanks people

jtnishi
11-10-2005, 10:39 AM
It did just strike me one other thing you can do. Since I believe the effect is known as a high key effect, you can search out google with terms like '"high key" photoshop' or such. You might be able to find more than a few tutorials that way.

Vincent-D
11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
A lot of rookies use Adjust colour, hues, saturation and what not without the masking tool or so.

Most perfect way to handle like that was the layer system.
Let's say you want the skin lighter... simply create a layer on top of the picture, paint lighter color tone (can be white). Painting over the major area of the skin and use smudge/smear tool to make soft edges or corners. then use the layer effect (the default is set on normal), change it to either overlay/screen/hardlight (you can try other as listed in the drop down till you see fit) and adjust the opacity of the layer until you find what fit for you.

I've been working with PS and Paintshop Pro more than 8 years, but it doesn't alway mean that you'll become pro at it when you use it for a long time. Best to say, always mess with it, thus you'll find whole new ways to create things.

Anything else you need, feel free to contact me on AIM: AzureVincent

natsukoarts
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Vincent-D technique sounds on-the-money.

i have some other examples on my "low tech" site you can go there, some short descriptions, if you want to check those: http://home.earthlink.net/~natsukoarts/id24.html

I've used PS, Illustrator & Flash for the last 5yrs, and use PS daily at work.

Really depends on what you are trying to do.
"Hack & Slash" (adjust colour/hues) thought fast may not always give you what your looking for.

Bobbi
11-10-2005, 09:32 PM
You can also try blend modes. Try this:

Open up your picture. Go to layers > duplicate layer. Then open up your layer pallete. Go to Layer1 copy (or whatever the name of your first layer is) and then there'll be a little dropdown box above it that says "Normal" You can pull that box down and experiment with it. Depending on your version of photoshop, it'll have different effects to choose from. The various "light" effects will probably do what you want it to. Dodge will work as well, but I find it a bit TOO bright. You can also put different pictures on top of eachother to create nifty effects. =) One thing I really like doing is to copy the picture, add a gaussian blur and then turn down the layer opacity, and it gives it a really pretty dreamy effect. =3

staereo
11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Ok I just got back to the forum, Im doing it now... Im using your costume006 picture

*shrug*

Is this anything close to what youre going for? I just did it fast before bed, so excuse the fact its sloppy.

http://www.staereo.com/costume006reduxb.jpg

laceyluvr2
11-12-2005, 12:21 AM
oh. my. god. you made be BEAUTIFUL! I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU! what effects did you use??? You can email me if you want, imadison2000@comcast.net or i should be able to check on here a couple times! <3 <3

staereo
11-12-2005, 12:04 PM
You have mail. ^^