PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay suggestions for someone with no hair. =^ )

Infinitywulf
11-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey all, I started shaving my head about a year ago and really like the look, the only problem with it being when I go to cosplay. I've had to retire my Sadamitsu costume because of no hair, and not wanting to buy a wig that short, but then again I made a great Gale from Last Exile costume that I absolutely love... :rolleyes:

It all balances out eh?

So anyways my question is this, who out there has suggestions on bald characters that they've wished to see but never saw done properly because the guy wouldn't shave his head? Trust me here, my head is a willing subject, so if the guy is mostly bald and I could get away with just adding like a ponytail or such I'd so be willing to spirit gum or such something on. :p

I'm already planning on possibly putting together a Tien from Dragonball Z with a friend, so who else would work? I eagerly await your suggestions!
(Oh and take into consideration I'm about 5'11" and slim/medium body build, and walking on my knees is right out for a uber short char. Thus Tien and not Krillin)

Adara
11-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Maybe Major Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist? All you'd need to do is stick a little bit of hair on the front your head.

Rei2Rei
11-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Rude from Final Fantasy VII! You hardly ever see people cosplay him (People that do are hardly ever bald)..And he is so cool! All you would need was a blue suit with a zipper. :heart:

RevGirl
11-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Jet Black is always a rarity. You would have to add a bit of hair on the sides though.

trixyloupwolf
11-11-2005, 11:47 PM
i found that i just wrote in goggle image bald anime..^^;;
so you may try other similar word on ebay and find some more..^^

Yu Yu Hakusho
Kazemaru

Hair Color: Bald
Eye Color: Black
Description: Kazemaru is a ninja who competes in Genkai's Tournament with the hope of winning her apprenticeship. He can control his reiki, creating palm attacks and even manipulating throwing stars to track his opponents ki. He is defeated by Yusuke in the semi-finals.
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pojo.com/yuyu/biopics/kazemaru.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.pojo.com/yuyu/bios/k.shtml&h=80&w=100&sz=9&tbnid=SYJ-zX6-94AJ:&tbnh=61&tbnw=77&hl=fr&start=55&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbald%2Banime%26start%3D40%26svnum%3D1 0%26hl%3Dfr%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Boma
gost in the shell
http://www.animenfo.com/anime/character/display.php?id=1736&n=beaalo&t=boma

Infinitywulf
11-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Adara: Wow, he looks/sounds like a fun one but darnit they always make bald/nearly bald guys so musclebound and huge! Granted, that is a common thing for huge musclebound guys to do: shave their heads... Hrm, perhaps if I find more images on him or finally get to see the anime (heard wonderful things about it, but don't get cable out where I am, and since I work on a limited college budget I buy things I've wanted first, then go after possibles) I might see a costume I could pull off with padding. When I say silm/medium body build I mean it too, 5'11" and about 160-170lbs and skinny as heck. :D

Rei2Rei: Heheheh I read your mind a bit early! I was looking at some Advent Children screenshots and went, "Whoah, there's a bald dude... I know that bald dude... Oh lord I forgot about RUDE!!!! :mfg: "

And I'm thinking it's black from all the screenie's I've seen... But then again I have seen some with a dark navy look too. :confused: I think I might do the black simply as I own more black items. Only "problems" are that I'll need to add the piercings (don't have pierced ears), and I'll be using makeup to make the faint goatee since mine doesn't come in like that, and I actually have to shave mine for other characters. But he will be appearing at Katsucon '06 as my siggy indicates.

Rev Girl: I've thought about Jet, but I really don't think I have the build (exposed) to pull him off. Although I have begun working out more, so hopefully I might make that a non-issue. Still I've been trying to talk one of my other friends into cosplaying and he actually wants to try Jet, is the right height/build etc. and... Is bald. Yeah we both shave our heads, me cause I like the style, him cause he's Air Force. Plus we're both into acting and should have the makeup experience to pull him off.

trixyloupwolf: Doh I've always tried searching for bald cosplay! The difference a word can make eh? And yes Kazemaru looks nifty! I'd definitely want to put the head tatoo on last, I get enough glares as is when I wear all black -w- leather being bald... Hate to see what having what people now see as an only nazi symbol on my forehead would do. :eeek: Still, yet abother reason to check out an anime I've only seen like an episode of!

Boma is again one of those I'd have to think on as he's more of a heavyweight body type (I am a fan of all things Ghost in the Shell so I did know him), but since he does wear a jacket a lot I might be able to get away with just adding some padding. *thinks*

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, as you can see I haven't been exposed to everything out there, and I even forget great characters from ones I have seen! The whole thing of looking too hard I think. :p

Infinitywulf
11-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Adara: After looking around and seeing the other people who've cosplayed him I don't feel so bad. And what with the uniform I could just be a bit more "restrained" and not go ripping my shirt off at every chance I get. :thumbsup:

A definite possibility, not sure if I'll get it done before Katsucon in Feb, but at least possible for next years Otakon! Thanks!!! :bigtu:

Jia Jem
11-12-2005, 09:56 AM
VOLDO from Soul Calibur. OMG. Please.

I was gonna say Tank Girl until I saw you were a guy. ;_;

Eleryth
11-12-2005, 10:39 AM
I totally forgot his name, but there's a bald guy in Bleach; he's a Shinigami... 11th division, maybe? My memory is terrible.... ! Perhaps posting in the Bleach Cosplay thread in the anime costumes forum will help; someone's bound to know his name and or get a screencap.

He's fairly skinny, too, not super built like Armstrong from FMA.

He's in this ep's screencaps (ep. 26).
http://www.bleachportal.net/gallery/?v=c&id=Bleach%2026&s=1

Also, from Yakitate! Japan (about baking bread), there's a bald character (or very close to, maybe a little stubble). Well, he sometimes has hair, but he's in a bald-period right now. His name is Kawachi. He's usually blonde, not super built but not a stick, either.

That's all I can think of right now that hasn't been said yet...

Infinitywulf
11-12-2005, 11:45 AM
First off, thanks to everyone so very very much for all your suggestions so far!!! I'm finding out there are a ton of kickass characters I can play, and most of them don't look overdone either! :love:

Jia Crens: Oooohhh... This is what I get for not playing Soul Caliber. (Not a huge fighter game person.) Voldo looks wicked!!! and I've seen a couple of excellent costumes too! That one is definitely going to be aimed for Otakon '06, I wanna do that justice. Plus if I go with the leather strappy thing I think I'd just be fricckin cold at Katsucon.
Watch for me to possibly freak out Baltimore more than normal in '06!

Eleryth: I have been meaning to watch Bleach for awhile... Now this just gives me all the more reason to. Saw the sceencaps you mentioned, excellent! I already have cosplay approved swords too! :dance:

Wasn't able to find a bald pic of Kawachi, but I'll take your word on the fact that he's in a bald period now, definitely another I can add to the list of possible cosplays!

Once again, thank you all so much!!! I'll prolly eventually start using wigs or growing my hair out for costumes as needed, but I really love my bald look and being able to use it in cosplay is awesome! Plus getting to do characters justice that others might not since they don't want to shave is a bonus!

Void Chameleon
11-13-2005, 12:26 PM
There is definitely a handful of bald characters in Full Metal Alchemist you could do, Armstrong being the most obvious as it was said before.

Bagu
11-13-2005, 01:15 PM
You know, there are a lot of characters in Bobo Bobobo (seeing baldness is an element in the story).

Ironekilz
11-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Aw, no Kirillin? :p Okay, what about Bart from Vandread? He's tall and skinny and in season two he shaves his head. Here's a couple pics of him:

With hair:

http://www.mediafactory.co.jp/anime/vandread/about/aboutimg/chara/bart03.gif

and without:

http://sandrock.mp4.free.fr/images/vandread/bart2.jpg

Melanie
11-14-2005, 02:33 AM
Keiji Maeda (Samurai Warriors)'s alternate costume! :love: Sorry I can't link you to a pic, but I saw in your profile that you like Dynasty Warriors, so hopefully you'll know who I'm talking about! ;)

TribalButterfly
11-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Hair is just another accessory. You can buy a bald cap to create the illusion of baldness. You can also buy a wig for the illusion of hair - especially since anime hair is usually really funky, and not everyone wants to sport that look all year round.

Hair, or the lack of it, isn't a hindrance to cosplay. It should not be a factor that limits a person’s cosplay range.

Infinitywulf
11-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Once again thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Void Chameleon: Yep, in the process of being educaded about FMA by a friend. They were highly dissapointed in me, but happy they could teach me. :thumbsup:

Bagu: Yeah I think I definitely need to look into that one, sounds funny as heck, and an anime about people all getting shaved bald = perfect.

Ironekilz: :p I have a bad knee already, walking on my knees would not be a good thing... So thus the only Krillin I could do would be a 5'11" one. Athough I guess I could say I hit a grownth spurt. :rolleyes: Bart looks fun, would have to figgure out how to make the johdpur pants though.

Melanie: I actually haven't played Samurai Warriors yet, wanted to though and now this gives me a reason to! All the screenshots I've seen have got him with big long hair, but I'm definitely interested in seeing that alternate costume. And yes Dynasty Warriors = :love: for me.

TribalButterfly: Trust me I realize I can get wigs and all, but at the moment I'm a double major finishing up college in Information Resource Management and Computer and Network Security. Not only does this give me little free time, it gives me like no time to work, so I'm poor college student times two effectively. Thus if I can avoid a wig and do cosplays of bald characters that people haven't seen yet it's a win win situation. One day when I finally get out and get a job in the IT field or such and money is not such a worry, trust me I will be getting/making some of the most elaborate wigs and costumes I can possibly do. Till then it's cosplay on a budget fueled by my sewing/makeup skills and whatever hair I do or do not have. :bigtu:

Cesario
11-17-2005, 04:02 AM
If you wanna be unique, why not cosplay Adam Savage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Savage) or Jamie Hyneman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Hyneman) from Mythbusters?

Infinitywulf
11-18-2005, 08:40 PM
*falls over laughing* Actually a friend and I have often said our dream job would be to become understudies/helpers/anything where we get to help blow up stuff on Mythbusters...

I mean he's bald with no facial hair... I'm bald with facial hair... We're both into theater and random other stuff... He used to do work with bombs and stuff through the air force, and I just know how to make things go boom creatively... It could work!

That'd be such a dream job. :D

Cesario
11-19-2005, 04:52 AM
*falls over laughing* Actually a friend and I have often said our dream job would be to become understudies/helpers/anything where we get to help blow up stuff on Mythbusters...

I mean he's bald with no facial hair... I'm bald with facial hair... We're both into theater and random other stuff... He used to do work with bombs and stuff through the air force, and I just know how to make things go boom creatively... It could work!

That'd be such a dream job. :D

Here's a start: http://shopping.discovery.com/product-59607.html?jzid=40588004-17-0

Personally, I wish they had the "Volunteer Lab Rat" motto instead.

Melanie
11-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Melanie: I actually haven't played Samurai Warriors yet, wanted to though and now this gives me a reason to! All the screenshots I've seen have got him with big long hair, but I'm definitely interested in seeing that alternate costume. And yes Dynasty Warriors = :love: for me.

*gasp!* It's brilliant... I love Dynasty Warriors, but Samurai Warriors is even better! :heart:

I actually managed to find a picture of Keiji's bald self for you! :D Please find him attached to this reply.

Infinitywulf
11-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Melanie: :mfg: That's absolutely awesome!!!!
I absolutely love the expression on his face too... Looks kinda like the face I first made after shaving all my hair off... A "Ya know... Not bad eh?" kinda look to me.

Methinks I am definitely going to have to at least attempt that costume. It's absolutely goregeous too... I'm already thinking of fabrics, and how the heck I'm going to get that stippled look on his pants. And I'm thinking this will mean I have to buy Samurai Warriors too... Just for information gathering of course. :rolleyes:

Thank you so very much!!! :thumbsup:

Melanie
11-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Melanie: :mfg: That's absolutely awesome!!!!
I absolutely love the expression on his face too... Looks kinda like the face I first made after shaving all my hair off... A "Ya know... Not bad eh?" kinda look to me.
Well, there's your photo pose! *giggles* He does look like he's saying that! Heh, I don't think he was a natural blonde anyway. :p

Methinks I am definitely going to have to at least attempt that costume. It's absolutely goregeous too... I'm already thinking of fabrics, and how the heck I'm going to get that stippled look on his pants.
Oh! I'm so happy to hear that!! His shirt has a beautiful octopus on the back of it - that's all its tentacles wrapping around the front. For his pants, there are some wonderful stippled quilting/folk art fabrics around, and they're not too expensive either! I used some for Keiji's default costume (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=460726) for my brother, and it was lovely to sew. :)

And I'm thinking this will mean I have to buy Samurai Warriors too... Just for information gathering of course. :rolleyes:
Of course. ;) You'll love it... the challenge modes are so much more fun than the DW ones! :love:

Thank you so very much!!! :thumbsup:
My pleasure! I'm glad I could help! :bigtu:

Infinitywulf
11-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Hrm, after looking closely at the picture, and man I've been doing nothing but studying this since I posted last, I think I have a good idea of the patterns I need. I really should be sleeping but cosplay calls... :rolleyes:

But anyway, looks as if I'd need to get the pattern for a split leg hakama and need to find sorta a tye dye/stipple brownish black fabric. He's also wearing a kataginu vest (that's the batwings) over his kimono, which both seem to be white... So so far a kamishimo is being worn, with the rather (or so I gather) unstandard two colors between the kataginu and hakama. And then over it all it seems like a jinbaori or a campaign jacket of sorts... And that has an octopus pattern on it? Eeeexcellent....

Oh man I'm itching to try my hand at this one... It'll definitely be my most complex to date... And that's before I add in the spear. I love it! :love:

If it helps I think I found a good site for patterns for all of these:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/roundearth/patterns.html
Now I just need to get a few more shots of him and I'll get to work.:rockon:

Definitely not a Katsucon, but if I work hard, possibly Otakon. :dance:

*edit* Well, there's your photo pose! *giggles* He does look like he's saying that! Heh, I don't think he was a natural blonde anyway. :p
Photo pose? Most definitely. And at least I'm not the only person that sees that look. :D As for him being a natural blond, or having hair like that in those days... I'd have to be rather highly doubtful. But then again, ya never know... He could have um... Fallen into a vat of bleach headfirst and then got hit by hurricane force winds with eggwhite in it. :eek: