PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Rocked!

Mara
07-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Did anyone else notice how well organized Otakon was this year? Despite the number of people, (it seemed MUCH more crowded to me than last year) so many events ran smoothly. Like the masquerade... Since when when do con masquerades start on time?!?! I was so surprised when I glanced at my watch at 8:05 and saw that the show was starting.

There was also plenty of room at all the events... they put popular things like the music video contest in huge rooms where there was enough space for everyone. And the dealers' room had plenty of huge aisles between the tables, even more so than last year.

And on the cosplay side of things, there were just SOOO many awesome costumes everyday. I thought I would be the only Mana from Malice Mizer there, but boy, was I wrong! On Friday at the JRock gathering, we took a bunch of group pics with all the Malice Mizer cosplayers,,, it was awesome. And, wheee! I was so happy to see Lady Somairot and Jibrille win awards at the masquerade!

I guess the reason for my posting this message is to say... I had an AWESOME time this year! What are your overall impressions of the con?

-Mara

ravenkira
07-28-2002, 06:03 PM
I thought the con was fun! I was sad I didn't get to really stay and do much but at least I got to wear my costume!!(I think i was the only Haruko there ^_^)

DancingVampire
07-28-2002, 06:33 PM
I waited 5 and a 1/2 hours for the cosplay to start *_* oh well I got REALLY good seats and I loved chair!!! Everyone waz so nice and a lot of fan girls hugged me cause I waz dressed up as totoro lol I waz fun overall

Chaio~
Dancing Vampire

forte-mari
07-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Yeah, it was pretty great. I think the most fun I had was walking around as Billy...yes, that's me. It was really fun in the morning, when I was one of the few people with a sign. Mine actually made sense for the character. Well, if anyone saw me, I'd kind of like to know, just because it'd be amusing.

pookie-kun
07-28-2002, 07:08 PM
I had tons of fun! :D Wandering around in my Jrock outfit saturday.. woooooooo

*sad afansview is having hiccups ;_;*

kelldar
07-28-2002, 07:15 PM
just got back!! my feet are still killing me.
I was urd (purple dress version) w/a skuld and lina on saturday morning and lum on saturday afternoon if anyone saw me :D I wish fansview would come back up, I was never sure how I looked since our hotel room didn't have a full length mirror oO;

Nyoko
07-28-2002, 08:13 PM
ya I had fun to, hay kell I think I saw you... wall anyway my Inu Yasha costume came out nice...(I don't know did any one see me?? a had a big sword, and on saturday and sunday I had a sign that said "If you mortals bow down and worship me you may touch my ears")

Pipneko
07-28-2002, 10:39 PM
Me too! Anyone notice the Goth-Sesshoumaru? Or the female Miroku with the shippou doll with the "I am a pervert" headband on it? ^_^ lol! can't wait to see pictures, people! ^_^

Studmaster
07-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Well, I just got back to Brooklyn an hour ago from getting a ride with a friend of mine (worst driver on the Planet, certified). And I finally realize that the con is over. Well I just have to say that I had a lot of fun overall when all was said and done. After a miserable, shitty Friday, Saturday and Sunday made up for all of that.

Overall, I'm glad I got to meet a whole lot of you, and I also learned a thing or two about organizing meeting times for next year, so next years Cosplay.com gathering will go a lot better.

Look out for my shout outs and my comprehensive con review and anthology this week.

Pipneko
07-28-2002, 10:54 PM
hmm... what was miserable about friday? ((Besides the rain. lol)) I found it better than Sunday. ^_^'' people kept taking my picture! lol! I think they all thought I was a j-rock character or something. heh. ^_^' anyhoo, the friday Music Videos where a little disapointing, but they showed the better ones later. ^___^ ((wai wai!)) (sings: "Life's gonna suck when you grow up, when you grow up, when you grow up...." lol) Studmaster, who where you dressed as? ^_^

Sami
07-28-2002, 10:54 PM
I had THE BEST time, ever~~ XD XD This Otakon certainly beat the pants off last years! (Even through the Friday morning registration-line rain... *twitch*) I was Yohji with a Ken on Friday, and Kidd from Chrono Cross from most of Saturday.. then I pulled off a female Yohji with my Ken on Saturday night, and we ran through the halls arm in arm honking. XD!! I'm gonna post my pictures tomorrow! Woo!!

What was that about feet still hurting..? @_@ I'm in that boat too.. owwww..

Pipneko
07-28-2002, 10:57 PM
awww!!!! lol!! My friend (sitting next to me currently, lol.) had horrible shoes the first day and they cut up her feet... ;.; I felt so bad!!! The next day, they where bleeding through her socks!!!! O.o (I felt bad for making her take the LONG way back from the dealer's room now... ;.;) good thing I'm good at stairs tho. ^______^ lol

rayechu
07-29-2002, 03:30 AM
I head a great time. I just wish artist alley wasn't so out of the way..

Neon Genocide
07-29-2002, 07:44 AM
This year was definitely the best otakon yet, and a lot more organized. The lines for registration where a little longer but oh well it was fun just talking to all the people around me. I was the aka "hot" Seifer running around or so this is what I was told. Got to sword fight a Squall too, at the Final Fantasy pictures on saterday.. That was pretty cool. It was one wicked weekend though I am glad to be home and out of those forsaken boots, and into some normal clothes. Sucks to wait another year for this to happen again.

kelldar
07-29-2002, 08:05 AM
yes, artist alley was too out of the way ><;
omg, my urd boots killed my feet.... they're still sore on the bottom and my toes are still numb! gah. It was just too much walking for me ^^;

pookie-kun
07-29-2002, 09:06 AM
Heh.. boots.. my 4 inch platform boots (laced to my knees.. too hard to take off) ruined my feet ;_; half size too small >__<;;;

ElfEater
07-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Otakon... I had a good time meeting all these new people and such! ^_^ But I do feel really bad that for almost 3 hours on Saturday, I was in my Maia costume and couldnt see anything!! X_x Maybe I would have met more people if I could have seen! Hahahha! In all, I had a good time. But I was soooooo upset that the "break dance battle royale" skit got disqualifed at the end! ;_; those were my friends up there, and those collars were a pain in the bum! Hahaha! THey did a great job though even if they did get disqualifed. I was also really surprised at all the signs people were holding up... hahaha. ^^
Im reallllllllllllllly tired, I'll write more later... lol. Hi to everyone that I ran into, and to all the people I missed!!! ;_;

Rosiel
07-29-2002, 12:55 PM
My Otakon was miserable... >__<

But that was no surprise considering Otakon 2000 and Otakon 2001. I sincerely believe this was my last Otakon.

I should apologize right now to all the people from this board I was supposed to meet and ended up missing... I was in horrible pain and feeling sick and stuck in con drama quicksand all weekend.

I'm happy to see my experience was the exception and not the rule, though. =)

Neon Genocide
07-29-2002, 12:59 PM
ElfEater, I believe it was saterday that I saw you on. You had one wicked costume. Great job on it. ;)

Need to make up some sleep this week, oh well ya sleep when you die.

HuongStar
07-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Wai!! I didn't get to take any pictures of your Maia! >_<

Studmaster
07-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Pipneko
hmm... what was miserable about friday? ((Besides the rain. lol))

My Hotel Room screwed me over. They wanted to charge me 166 more dollars (not including tax) to stay in their shitty hotel, saying that I didn't reseve until June 9th (Fucking Liars)

HuongStar
07-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Well, I paid for three people (one of which didn't stay in the room at all) and I ended up paying for one night where we didn't even stay in the room. ~_~

Neon Genocide
07-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by HuongStar
Wai!! I didn't get to take any pictures of your Maia! >_<

Unfortunately neither did I, just didn't have my camera with me at that point in time..

ElfEater
07-29-2002, 01:20 PM
Rosiel - I saw you on Saturday when I was in my Myoubi costume, and I saw you again later that day and I was gonna grab you and say Hi.. but.. I didnt. Hahahhaa. ^^ You make the best Rosiel, I love your look! ^_^_^_^

I do have some complaints about the masqurade though. The fact that the chair(wo)man just came out and read off the winners, I hated that. No Best in Show?! No winners going up to get thier awards?! I didnt like it. The blue light. Why didnt they tell the people before hand that thier skit was too long? The BR group told me that nobody told them thier skit was overtime, they only found out when the light came on something was wrong. And the MC said "will be disqualifed starting with skit 8" So they thought they still had a chance, but in the end they were allowed. And I thought the con staff were freakin insane sometimes. way way way over strict, and when they needed to be, they were nowhere to be found. I dunno.. it just kinda upset me. heh. I was impressed with the artist alley and game room though, wow.
Ok Im done now, hehe. I did see some really nice costumes that I wish I couldve talked to the people inside them, haha, but I think my Maia killed me, and Myoubi, I had to tape my boobies and that wasnt fun either. -_- So I wasnt in very social moods.
I will state though, Twinkle, Jeff, and Lindze- I love you guys. Alot! ^_^

HuongStar
07-29-2002, 01:33 PM
Awww!!! Jeff is still glowing after your comment that he looks like he is 18. It was really cool getting a chance to actually talk to you and hang out with at lunch! ^_^

I taped my boobies for Lulu and boy oh boy do I hate it. I have blisters on my sides. >_<

Rosiel
07-29-2002, 01:34 PM
> I was gonna grab you and say Hi.. but.. I didnt. Hahahhaa. ^^

That's too bad, I would have loved to see your Myoubi costume... I know I talked to a Myoubi (which I am ashamed to say I didn't ID right away)... I forgot if I was in costume or not... my memories of the con are iffy at best... I don't even remember which day it was... (con amnesia?)

Could that have been you?

> You make the best Rosiel, I love your look!

Thank you. ^___^

> I had to tape my boobies and that wasnt fun either. -_- So I wasnt in very social moods.

I understand completely. I was in the same state due to the painful wing harness. I still have its outline branded on my skin. ^___^

Nyoko
07-29-2002, 01:45 PM
And I thought the con staff were freakin insane sometimes. way way way over strict, and when they needed to be, they were nowhere to be found.

I agree, alot happend to me with that staff, thay got mad at me for my sword, even know it was under the max hight of 8 feet, when my sword was only 5'2"...... and they said I could hurt someone with it....and it was only cardbord.....

kelldar
07-29-2002, 02:09 PM
I got a pic of Maia!! that was very awesome. you even wowed my grandparents, lol :D
I was taped in for urd ><; I had lovely little red patterns all over me after taking it off.

Lady Somairot
07-29-2002, 03:14 PM
i, too, thought it was a bit odd that they just read the winners at the end of the masq.... it would have been nice to have seen the happy people get their happy awards, and to clap and all that fun stuff. at least we got to see the Bohemeth Rhapsody guy a second time. ^_~ that was sooo coooo the way people held up lighters during the end of his song!! ^_^_^

aside from some stinkyness on the staff's part here and there, i thought that overall this year's otakon was far superior to last year's otakon.. in my humble opinion anyway. *shrug*

Jibrille
07-29-2002, 04:02 PM
> > I had to tape my boobies and that wasnt fun either. -_- So I wasnt in very social moods.

> I understand completely. I was in the same state due to the painful wing harness. I still have its outline branded on my skin. ^___^

yes... the welts from my wing straps look at me right now...
i was fine and they didnt hurt at all, no costume pain what so ever... when i was standing... then they made me sit for over THREE HOURS for the cosplay stuff to start and the pressure of sitting made the pain begin... ><
i wonder how long they will be there... they dont hurt now but they look hiddeous. eyarrr...

in the overall, i definitly agree, it was MUCH more well organized this year... but i am seriously wondering if i will ever go to another otakon. haarrrrr

hisshouburaiken
07-29-2002, 05:09 PM
I personally had a much better time at this year's con than last...maybe it's because it was only my second con and i'm still all starry-eyed :D

My friend and I came up with a phrase for the weekend, "Just because the badge says 'Staff' doesn't mean they know shit from shit." i saw some killer cosplayers, there were so many Lulus and they were all SO good....except for the five guys dressed as her, which reminded us of the Hindenburg for some reason :P

My favorite part, though, was being one of only a f ewRival Schools cosplayers, and the only Kurow at that :D

arisuchan
07-29-2002, 05:17 PM
this con was really unusal for me. I did a lot of stuff that i normal didn't do, like actually going into viewing rooms. Although all day Saturday was consummed by cosplay stuff i was expecting that so it didn't ruin my day. This otakon I think was so much better than last year. I'll probably go next year as long as my friends go. This was a really good con for me personally.

HuongStar
07-29-2002, 05:41 PM
Gah...I know what you mean about all the Lulus...by the time I had mine on, I swear people were ready to throw tomatoes at me because they were so tired of seeing so many.

I guess it's good that it was worn for only the masquerade and an hour or so afterwards. ^_^

Neon Genocide
07-29-2002, 08:12 PM
I'll keep on commin' back, even though they were stricter this year. It happens, ya live with it for how many people that were there. I just have so much fun seeing all the costumes that people have put so much time into and get to talk to them about it. I met some wonderful people this year and made a few new friends. It was all good for me….. :P

Leminhead
07-29-2002, 09:54 PM
I had a crapload of fun. Got my girlfriend to go, and I'm slowly getting her into anime. ^_^

Madmann
07-29-2002, 10:19 PM
I had a great time we had a HUGE Inu yasha group there i was Miruko and we got to kidnap a sessumaru

P.S thanks for your help Pipneko :D :cheers:

Mara
07-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Yeah, despite the strictness of staffers, I agree about the friendliness of everyone else at the con. I was worried I would get bored, because I went by myself, but there was hardly a moment where I was walking around alone. I met a lot of great people and exchanged emails with quite a few of them. The whole feel of the con was more upbeat than any I have been to. :)

-Mara

Oshi
07-29-2002, 10:51 PM
Elfy: I thought that was you in that Maia costume! Got a pic when waiting in line for Megatokyo. Being led around like a blind girl... which... you basically were... yeah o_o;;

Tsk. I feel sorry for all you ladies who taped down your boobs. Gotta be painful.

And about the organization thing... THE DDR TOURNEY WAS VERY, VERY DISORGANIZED. I left the line - or should I say blob - because I was so sick of waiting as random other people walked up and went before the people who actually SIGNED UP could go... And I also missed the SSBM tourney because I was waiting! RAWR! OSHI MAD! DESTROY CITY NOW! ...or... not... >.>;

Besides waiting in line, which for some things was actually fun, I had a really great time, and this was definately a great first con ^_^

Oh yeah... there were a LOT of FF cosplayers. I mean, at the Masquerade, I was seated like this: Yuna, Rinoa, Oshi, LuLu, Yuna... Then right in front of me was an Auron o_o; Yeah, FF was definately the most popular this year. And Trigun.

Nyoko: My sword, which was made of two dowels wrapped in duct tape, etc., was actually questioned by Staff... if it was metal. I'm like... "nooo, I don't think I would be digging it into the floor like this if it was", and we laughed.

And now, my last edit...
You want pain? Well, you know how after too much DDR, your calves hurt? Well, between DDR, and the dance/rave on Saturday... My THIGHS hurt... and they STILL do to this very moment.

Pipneko
07-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Madmann: lol! No Prob! ^__^ if you guys are going to Otakon in the future and you ever need an extra IY char, give me a call! oh ho ho ho ho! ^__^ I'm probably going as Kagura next year (as well as Meryl from Trigun.. ^^)

Madmann
07-30-2002, 12:11 AM
OK.we will i think we decided to go as either angelic layer or chobits next year im not sure.

forte-mari
07-30-2002, 06:50 AM
Yes, agreeing with most other people here, it was fun, but i didn't go last year, so i can only compare it to 2000, but this year was much better. I'm kind of sad that I didn't meet anyone from cosplay.com, I definately caught a climpse of some of you, but I didn't meet you. Oh well, I guess that's what next year is for. ^_^

Neon Genocide
07-30-2002, 07:04 AM
It just gets better each year, I've been going since 1998 in Washington DC when it was in just a hotel, and I know people who have been since the first otakon. Getting bigger will mean changes some for the good and some for the bad.

Nyoko
07-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Nyoko: My sword, which was made of two dowels wrapped in duct tape, etc., was actually questioned by Staff... if it was metal. I'm like... "nooo, I don't think I would be digging it into the floor like this if it was", and we laughed.

ya mine was cardbord, tape and sprypainted white, it was kinda hard to tell that it was cardbord if you saw it friday... (by sunday the paint had chiped really bad and it looked really horred)

Grave
07-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Everything was organized except the DDR TOURNEY!! GOSHH!!!!!

Jibrille
07-30-2002, 08:12 PM
only thing i can think of that had issues was the cosplay crud on satruday. yes the SHOW ITSELF may have stared on time but judging was an hour behind cause a judge was missing, then rehearsal was late starting cause something with the stage or some crap. so those of us in the contest ended up wasting almost ALL OF SATURDAY for that stuff.
still cool for the most part, i just wish i would have been able to walk around and enjoy my costume more. :\

Treacherous_B
07-30-2002, 11:07 PM
The fact my costume plans fell through a week before the con was kind of annoying, but I still had a great time. I saw a vast amount of incredible cosplayers, and it has improved my resolve for next year's cons!

On a better note, though, I did manage to get myself initiated as a member of the Shensin Gumi (Death By Silly String since 2002), and I got to room with one of the people who put together the hilarious $$60,000,000,000 Funky Chicken. I had a great time at what was a (IMHO) great con. I only wish I could've recognized more people from the boards there. Oh well.

Treacherous_B

Nyoko
07-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Hay I found A photo of me!!!! and you can see my sword when it was chipping!!!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/45138095/45139193mhLpiK

Lissa_andstuff
07-31-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jibrille
only thing i can think of that had issues was the cosplay crud on satruday. yes the SHOW ITSELF may have started on time but judging was an hour behind cause a judge was missing,

Ack! we started on time..it's true..cause we ALL worked really hard to make it happen...really. We took a four hour cosplay and made it two..the issues that made the cosplay drag were video issues that we couldn't fix..like it stopped wanting to stop...there was no judge missing...it was a tallying issue..that and the fact we ran the show like a train...there was no time for judges to deliberate....we were already done.

[/i]
then rehearsal was late starting cause something with the stage or some crap. so those of us in the contest ended up wasting almost ALL OF SATURDAY for that stuff.
[/B]

Our union sound guy came in late...if you have no sound what point is there in rehearsing....and we were caught up by 10:30..so I have no idea how that is all day.(shrug)
as an after thought....people reported at 6:30 show went at 8. if you needed anything....all you had to do was ask..I hope that was clear....I think we did have fun....and I hope you come back next year...

I was not incharge or any way related to the award ceremony....that is the Head Coordinator /Administrator Donna Ulan....you need to talk to her about that portion of the cosplay..my job was the actual running of the cosplay if you have any suggestions ...or comments..let me know..

thank so much for your help if you were in the masquerade..and if you were in the audience thanks so much for your help ..

Melissa Phelps
Stage Manager
Otakon 2002

I would like to address that one skit that got disqualified. They ran 4:45 in length. I timed them during the rehearsal and it was tight even then..and they knew it. That night..they ..like all good comedians ..paused for applause. It was unfrotunate and they were one of my favorite skits...they also added about 4 good lines to the skit...that got 4 good laughs...they weren't even really done with the skit when the blue light went off. The rehersals were arranged so that there would be no issue with disqualification. I went to the timer..and asked..and even if they started the clock early they were a full 1 minute and 45 seconds over.

Madmann
08-01-2002, 01:04 PM
from what i heard cosplay went smoothly *shrugs*

Neon Genocide
08-01-2002, 02:33 PM
I would have liked to see it but the line was a little long for me

ElfEater
08-01-2002, 02:52 PM
Heya! ^-^ Im guessing you are talking about the Break dance Battle Royale skit that got disqualified. I am still a bit confused about that. So they were informed beforehand that they ran over the time limit? If that was the case, were there actions taken to revise and rewatch the skit to see if it upheld the time limit? Also, at the end of the skit, when the crowd starts to boo over the blue light, doesnt the MC say "....starting with skit number 8" then the crowd starts to cheer... So I was under the impression that the skit was not disqualifed. Im not being all weird about it becuase they are my friends, Im just still a little confused as to what happened, and so are they. Half the people I talked to said they were disqualifed, and the other half said they werent.

Lissa_andstuff
08-01-2002, 03:49 PM
HI!! ^_^
hmmm the battle Royale skit knew that they were not over time....they rehearsed at 2 minutes and about 37 seconds..but that is a really tight fit. They knew they had to keep the running time at the same level or they could have problems...we did run it twice...both under the 3 minute mark.

they ran over cause they paused...for applause :(

I will see what I can find out about the disqualification...and see if it even happened...it might not have..there were many good skits that didn't win....I thought they were really good..and very helpful backstage..so..all pluses..I'll see what I can find out.

Lissa_andstuff
08-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Neon Genocide
I would have liked to see it but the line was a little long for me
thanks to the awesome videographers we had a room with for run off attendees and it had a live simulcast....everyone was seated by 8:00 ..but there was plenty of room in the runnoff room. so ..maybe next year!

Jibrille
08-01-2002, 04:28 PM
> Ack! we started on time..it's true..cause we ALL worked really hard to make it happen...really. We took a four hour cosplay and made it two..the issues that made the cosplay drag were video issues that we couldn't fix..like it stopped wanting to stop...there was no judge missing...it was a tallying issue..that and the fact we ran the show like a train...there was no time for judges to deliberate....we were already done.

oh please dont missunderstand.
i wasnt mad at how it was run, or mad at all for that matter.
and the judge late thing was refferring to when we were actually getting judged before any of the stage stuff. we were told the judging started late cause a judge was late so we started late. yaknow, just going with what i was told.

> Our union sound guy came in late...if you have no sound what point is there in rehearsing....and we were caught up by 10:30..so I have no idea how that is all day.(shrug)

i was just sad it took up so much of saturday. (getting dressed, getting judged, then rehearsal, then the show) there wasnt much time in between any of it to get anything done. and thats no ones fault, hence why i didnt blame. i was just saying its a shame everything takes so long.

it was a smooth process compared to what i've seen in previous events. Once the cosplay started at 8 all that stuff ran great, it was just getting to that 8:00 that was tough. the cosplay itself was wonderously smooth.

and i understand the video thing and sound thing, hence why i didnt bring it up, i've been stuck in similar situations before.
just a shame crap like that happens.

i guess this is what i get when i tpye frustraited and unlear. ^^;;

Lissa_andstuff
08-01-2002, 07:59 PM
well I have ideas about how to make the day less time consuming....if you have any..please..let me have 'em!

now the way the scheduled times should have worked was to give you a definate three hours in between your meetings...but if you are there for costume judging ..guess that doesn't work all that well. Also..I hate to have you judges and rehearsed and then show..all in a time block later in the day...what if something ran late..?_? so I am open to suggestions..

also..sorry if it sounded like I was snapping..I don't like the idea of having you guys just there all day..standing....that is why I had it the way Idid ..I was thinking of maybe getting a special place for food for you (contestants)..located near by...What else could make life easier..a dressing room..maybe bins to keep belongings....????

also..my children were handing out candy..if anyone has a picture of them..at the Masq. please let me have them...I was running about..and i would have liked to take pictures of my little super staffers.

ElfEater
08-02-2002, 12:44 AM
Oh those were your kids!? They were soooooooooooooooo cute!!!! I was in my Myoubi costume getting some photos of it, and they ran up to me and gave me a creme saver!! ^_^ I ws about ot die it was soooooooooooooo cute! Then the older one ran back and gave me a different flavor and told me it was her favorite and she wanted me to try it.!! You have the coolest kids! ^_^

Lissa_andstuff
08-02-2002, 08:41 AM
thank you so much.....I wondeed what you guys thought of theses kids from no where..as I forgot to intorduce myself..and the kids..-_- nothing like a forgetful stage manager...bleah..

Myoubi...umm I'm sorry..but I really don't know that much about the costumes..what did it look like?