PDA

View Full Version : correct lighting for funky set

broken water
11-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Okay ladies and gents,
I have a set for an up and coming shoot, it cosists of a floor of mirrors, a black and white back ground and a cieling of black and white ( same as bg)
The question is...lighting? Since there is a " cieling" would that not cause some shadow?
Would an outside set work, say shot in the early morning?

shiroin
11-23-2005, 01:11 AM
have to be careful with mirrors
because if flashes are misapplied with them, can easily ruin good pictures.

other than that, mind elaborate on the cieling thing? because i do not understand what you are trying to say/.

staereo
11-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Ok, now I'm not really sure how you would have a ceiling outdoors, but in reality, this is the idea that I think you are trying to accomplish.

You want to use mirrors to reflect the background and the ceiling's black and white patterns, along with your subject?

Ok, can you do this outdoors? Yes you can, but realize that you're going to need to go heavy on the reflectors, and they will need to be large enough to cover the area of the background and celing. So you'll need to invest in those just as much as you would lighting on the indoors. Hypothetically, that could be much trickier, too, because your light source will be moving. (The sun.)

Indoors would be easier, and you would want to run the set as if it were a high key studio, and use your subject accordingly. Everything will have to be super clean, no lint, dirt, scratches, etc. You will need your ceiling and lights lit on their own, so that shadows dont fall. You'll need to make sure that any flashes you have that hit that mirror dont create reflections of light on another part of the photograph. You'll want to try to avoid any direct lighting to the mirror, and instead have the lighting on the subject and background.

Bruce

akicafe
11-23-2005, 06:08 PM
I did some shots like this before, I used diffused lights from each side on the ground pointing up to light the background and cieling. Then I had two tungsten flashes with shutters aimed at camera/shot level aimed in from each of the front corners of the set. There was a little glare off the floor but it was easy to take out in photoshop, it really worked out well with bringing out the background though.