PDA

View Full Version : cosplaying as original characters

Captain Gundam
11-22-2005, 11:02 PM
i've created an original character and part of his look (his name is buster Blaster; he gets his powers from different sodas.) My question is how do you let others know about it and how to show your costume off?

Master Zero
11-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Dude, just cosplay it AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!!!! How do you think people found out about my cosplay character? Its all in how much you can make the character available for the public to see.

Captain Gundam
11-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Dude, just cosplay it AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!!!! How do you think people found out about my cosplay character? Its all in how much you can make the character available for the public to see.
who is your cosplay character? if i've seen it before, i didnt know.

Master Zero
11-22-2005, 11:09 PM
The dude on my Avatar. That is "Master Zero"

ChibiTifa05
11-22-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm planning on cosplaying as one of my original characters soon. She's from a story I'm writing. Since I'm an artist as well, it makes it much easier to make the costume. ^^

Miyabi-
11-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Hmm..maybe you could make a flyer about the character and pass it out or show it to people! It could be a character bio or something.

Captain Gundam
11-22-2005, 11:11 PM
speaking of which hey chibi you mind helping me out on creating his world and such?

Alexia Ishtar
11-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Just cosplay it as much as you can ^.^ That's what I did with my original costume, she's from an rpg game I play on a message board

Captain Gundam
11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
The dude on my Avatar. That is "Master Zero"
oh hence your screen name...

really alexia? what's her level and such?

Master Zero
11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
"In a world where H20 rules with an iron fist....One man will defy the oppresive rule the only way he can....with Carbonated Drinks..."

Theres your storyline!!!!! XD

Captain Gundam
11-22-2005, 11:15 PM
"In a world where H20 rules with an iron fist....One man will defy the oppresive rule the only way he can....with Carbonated Drinks..."

Theres your storyline!!!!! XD
Actually he needs water to balance out his powers other wise soda kills him.

BountyBebopLuva
11-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm planning on cosplaying my original character of 7 years at OhayoCon.. I'm thinking about making little cards to give out about her and maybe add her site too.

Bagu
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't understand the concept of original characters. How would they fit in an anime convention? Is it something you can be judged on in a cosplay contest?

ChibiTifa05
11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Some cons let you compete in the masquerade with an original character costume, but you have to have a REALLY good picture of that character for reference. Plus, a lot of people cosplay as their original characters all the time at anime conventions.

Etsu
11-22-2005, 11:57 PM
My original characters often have a story behind them (either fanfiction or an original piece). I find that cosplaying helps w/ their characterization. At the same time, when your characters already have a background, it's easier to think up poses and outfits. I kind of show off my OCs by treating them as my alter-egos; for example, the persona I have on my Xanga is my cyberpunk authoress OC, Hana Li.

Anovas
11-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Like others said, cosplay your character as much as possible. I'd suggest making advertisements and/or little cards with a bit of information about him with a reference to a site you can create.

PS. I'd also recommend you making a couple of sketches so you can have something to look at when it comes to actual creation time. ^^ Good luck! Your character sounds like lots of fun.

Evali
11-23-2005, 12:14 AM
If you really want attention, make your costume as awesome as possible. Put as many details as you can into it.

I always go up to people with awesome costumes, even if I don't know what they are from. And when people ask you what anime you are from, you can say "It's my own original character!" and imagine how impressed they will be.

Vincent-D
11-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Some cons let you compete in the masquerade with an original character costume, but you have to have a REALLY good picture of that character for reference. Plus, a lot of people cosplay as their original characters all the time at anime conventions.

Yup, she got that right.
I did the same for my own character, already made the pic of him before I made the costume for myself.
http://vincent.blueforgefire.net/things/ml-vincent.jpg

Edit: My Character was based off from my own RPG that my friends and I created.

robfalcon
11-23-2005, 04:39 AM
If you rearly wanna bring your character to life, make a little video sketch with him/her in. I,ve done that with some of mine. 2 of my characters are characters i invented for the roleplaying game Cyberpunk. I made a little website giving drawings (ok, so i used the CAW mode in a WWE game to draw them lol) and a quick bio on them.

Only "Nightwolf" and "Northstar" tho are my creations. All the others are my friends creations. http://www.geocities.com/rms6859/Cyberpunk.html

w00tastic
11-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Just cosplay as much as possible! What I'm doing when I start my own character cosplay (shes from a book my friend is writing) I'll just make a little card to hand out about who she is and stuff.

Not to mention, using a character as a mascot for something REALLY helps as well. For mine, its going to double as the mascot for my AMV studio so after a few cons that I enter my AMV's at people might start to go "Oh thats the CR mascot!" or something to that effect so maybe in due time people might know who she is xD

LanceBardock
11-23-2005, 08:52 AM
cosplaying alot is definitely on key to getting know, but also enter alot of events! or do random things that will get you noticed! Once the comic i was doing died,so did my original character but chances....YES! maybe after a few months I can ask someone to cosplay as a new character I'm creating (its female therefore I can't do it and draw a crowd)

Evolution
11-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I'd just wear it to cons A LOT and when people ask, I just kinda tell them who I am and where I got the idea/inspiration from. Being in wrestling for so long, you kinda just come up with this crap...But it's a good way to get yourself noticed...

Master Zero
11-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Also, try to make the character do something out of the ordinary. My best example, Rap (thats what I do). Heres a line from a song I wrote:

"....a little more time and I'll control the system;
they shot at Master Zero but they straight out missed him"

Use whatever means to get attention drawn to your character.

Evolution
11-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Also, try to make the character do something out of the ordinary. My best example, Rap (thats what I do). Heres a line from a song I wrote:

"....a little more time and I'll control the system;
they shot at Master Zero but they straight out missed him"

Use whatever means to get attention drawn to your character.

Dude, that's SERIOUSLY awesome...

Master Zero
11-23-2005, 01:16 PM
*is all giddy* Aww thanks dude ^^

sakis bluescion
11-23-2005, 02:26 PM
i have tons of original characters that im ganna cosplay, n' tons o' original stories the chara's come from
vincent-D that is a cool costume^^

Captain Gundam
11-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Like others said, cosplay your character as much as possible. I'd suggest making advertisements and/or little cards with a bit of information about him with a reference to a site you can create.

PS. I'd also recommend you making a couple of sketches so you can have something to look at when it comes to actual creation time. ^^ Good luck! Your character sounds like lots of fun.

Well he is fun if i can create him well enough. I'll see if i can draw sketches and host them up here. Warning: i suck at drawing.

Zero, he speaks with a british accent and acts like an idiot but knows what he's doing. He's not british just a chemically created human to battle an evil government/ company using illegal products to rule the world. sugar is one of them.

Vincent-D
11-23-2005, 10:20 PM
vincent-D that is a cool costume^^

Yay, someone likes it! :heart:

My little brother never liked him. :sulk:

ReiRei21
11-23-2005, 10:50 PM
My friend is drawing her own Manga and is planning on cosplaying as her own character from her manga for Detour ^-^

moonrabitt
11-23-2005, 11:01 PM
I'd suggest adding something that will stand out (like said before) Should not look like normal clothes (Cause than you don't stand out..and no one knows who you are cosplaying as)
Take this dude that I found at a con...I knew nothing of him...but the costume was *thumbs up* An original creationg of him.."Strong Mad"=

Strong mad= http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=393113
*Seen some pep. cosplay as "original creatinos" but like at first glance...it lookd "normal" GET some wings, ears, and crazy hair-Du XD

Kyuriko
11-23-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't understand the concept of original characters. How would they fit in an anime convention? Is it something you can be judged on in a cosplay contest?

Many original characters are fan-characters for the creator's favorite anime or manga series. Sometimes they are original characters for an original anime or manga series. But I do not think that they are allowed in most cosplay competitions; this is most likely because the judges don't expect many of the original character cosplayers to have good reference pictures.

I plan on cosplaying one of my original characters for an original animanga series that I'm making, since I love the jacket and the uniform in general. I haven't drawn a good enough picture of it yet to be able to make the costume, though. As for letting people know about who you are cosplaying, you could post up your costume on cosplay sites like you would with any anime/manga/game/etc. costume and tell people that you are going as your own character. When people ask at the con, don't be afraid to tell them, show them a reference picture if you have one. If people think your costume is cool enough they will take pictures and that also will help get your character known. I'd recommend taking pictures yourself too, and maybe posting them in your gallery.

Evali
11-23-2005, 11:29 PM
I'd suggest adding something that will stand out (like said before) Should not look like normal clothes (Cause than you don't stand out..and no one knows who you are cosplaying as)
Take this dude that I found at a con...I knew nothing of him...but the costume was *thumbs up* An original creationg of him.."Strong Mad"=

Strong mad= http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=393113
*Seen some pep. cosplay as "original creatinos" but like at first glance...it lookd "normal" GET some wings, ears, and crazy hair-Du XD

While that is a good costume, Strong mad is a character from www.homestarrunner.com

But I definitely agree with everything you've said!

moonrabitt
11-24-2005, 12:08 AM
I know...(should have posted the url of the creator...) Though I don't get the "While that is a good costume.." I thought that the creator was the dude in the link...*CONFUSED*

Evali
11-24-2005, 09:23 AM
I know...(should have posted the url of the creator...) Though I don't get the "While that is a good costume.." I thought that the creator was the dude in the link...*CONFUSED*

I dunno, I just sort of doubt that the guys from that website are cosplayers. I've never heard of them doing so before. But for all I know, you are right. =)

To contribute, here's a pic of an original character I love:
http://animebelle.com/gallery/album104/DSCF0080

The wig was AMAZING. She's a really good example of putting care into your costume, and making it impressive despite no one knowing what you're from.

moonrabitt
11-24-2005, 03:12 PM
^ Now that is a great original costume!

Mew Berry
11-24-2005, 04:20 PM
As everyone's posted, just be sure to wear it a whole lot and let people know who your character is if they ask, heck, even having a few reference pictures or parts of your comic or whichever with him in it wouldn't be a bad idea.

But, if your character is a character that wears normal clothes and has a normal hair color and all of that, I wouldn't go for it. My friend cosplayed as her original character from her comic, and she draws REALLY nice, but the character wears normal jeans and shirts and has blonde hair and brown eyes -- so no one knew who she was and nobody asked, since she looked like someone who just came to the convention and didn't dress up. Heh, needless to say she never cosplayed as that original character again.

By the way, your character sounds interesting. ^^

Captain Gundam
11-25-2005, 01:49 AM
As everyone's posted, just be sure to wear it a whole lot and let people know who your character is if they ask, heck, even having a few reference pictures or parts of your comic or whichever with him in it wouldn't be a bad idea.

But, if your character is a character that wears normal clothes and has a normal hair color and all of that, I wouldn't go for it. My friend cosplayed as her original character from her comic, and she draws REALLY nice, but the character wears normal jeans and shirts and has blonde hair and brown eyes -- so no one knew who she was and nobody asked, since she looked like someone who just came to the convention and didn't dress up. Heh, needless to say she never cosplayed as that original character again.

By the way, your character sounds interesting. ^^

Thanks Mew but that's his look. Its very simple look since his world no one knows the word flashy (fashion wise). He works in a junkyard (which has a hidden lab below it) but keeps his clothes always clean. Also he goes to school so im going to change look as well.

Master Zero
11-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Tell you what, bring it to ALA. I might be holding an "Original Character Cosplay" gathering.

dagmarus
11-26-2005, 03:22 PM
I did this at Animazement '05. If any of you were there, you'll remember me as the realistically bloody guy with the sword on his back. Well, the costume is an original Character from a web comic my friends and I are starting called "Knights of Omnus". It's the main character, Aimsley, based on an idea from around the last part of his journey.
Pictures below.
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=23461&member=20139

supergeekgirl
11-26-2005, 05:07 PM
For a few cons and events last year, I went as the maid from The Sims, but I thought the costume looked bland the first time I wore it, so I added some wings and combat boots. Suddenly, people thought I was a great original character.

I create a lot of original characters and dress as them. One won a costume contest at Marcon. I'm disappointed, though, that we can't use original characters in most anime con masquerades. Even the masque at Archon (sci-fi con near St. Louis) requires you to have a reference picture if you do an anime/video game inspired costume (which was strike one against sprite-based Daryl and Setzer). I don't like that original characters are excluded from many masquerades because I think it takes more work sometimes to design your own costume. These three won Best of Journeyman Class at Archon this year with original characters:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=493553

But they wouldn't be allowed at A-Cen's masque.

Dragonmun
05-08-2006, 03:09 AM
i've created an original character and part of his look (his name is buster Blaster; he gets his powers from different sodas.) My question is how do you let others know about it and how to show your costume off?

okay... Not only is that an awesome concept for a character, but you MUST do that costume! Then you have to send me an email (heather@dragonmun.com) about it and I'll totally pimp it for you.

That's hands down one of the most original things I've found on this site yet.
*hugs*

P.S. don't be afraid to go all out. you said the character was from a junkyard-type world. There's lots of outrageous stuff in junkyards to add to your costume!

*totally would dig a construction cone hat for example.*

Kesra
05-08-2006, 04:18 AM
*Is working on a variation of Dagger from FFIX* I like original concepts ^^

VincentEternal
05-08-2006, 07:01 AM
*Is working on a variation of Dagger from FFIX* I like original concepts ^^

Be careful what you say about original cosplays! o_O

You might get rocks thrown at you by the cosplay extremists! XD

MissSCeleste
05-08-2006, 09:05 AM

If you draw manga/anime style comics and comic characters it's pretty common to get someone (or just do it yourself) to cosplay your main characters to draw attention to the booth or promote the comic. Or if you play in role playing games for manga/anime series then you sometimes come up with this hybrid original based off the canon of the game. Those are two ideas that come off the top cof my head right away for even if you had to dress to fit the theme of "anime" convention by how I'm assuming your seeing it.. which is understandable because if you don't know this then it can seem odd. The immeadiate reaction is It's an anime con so why aren't they the animes? Anime these days = Animation, not Japanese Animation, because you are starting to see artists who have developed the style outside of Japan. This sub-culture is growing so fast that words are changing there meaning because it is no longer limited to the area it originated.

The other way of seeing it is cosplay = costume play and if we are cosplaying to pay tribute to asian culture to fit the theme most anime cons go for to promote and learn more about eastern pop culture, over there they cosplay anything from movies, tv, books, comics, games, even commercials... (has anyone esle seen the Ronald McDonald troupe?) pretty much anything from pop-culture and then some stuff outside of it... like fans of there favourite bands (usually J-Rock because of the visual kei thing) or they might do one of many different lolita styles. There's ... err.. maids too right? I forget there proper title but those ones are considered kinda naughty or trying to tease people...anyway... it branches out so much that It becomes all about the costuming there more so then sticking to one theme. With that said since alot of people dont limit themselves to just watching there favourite anime (or reading there favourite manga) as a fan, they also want to learn more about the culture that it came from, then when they realize that cosplay over on that end is unlimited creatively they try it out too... you've probably seen it more often then you used to, and more then likely because more and more people are finding out through the usefulness that is the internet. :angel:

IDEAS FOR STANDING OUT WITH OC COSPLAY

1. Act like your character (develop a unique voice)

2. Create a comic or role playing game for them (develop an enviroment)

3. Have a website or "gimmick" that makes people want to find them

(as mentioned before having your business cards is always good)

4. Find quotes that are amusing and stick in peoples head. Watch carefully for reactions. You could think somethings REALLY funny or clever, but if you test it out and the person gives you this face o_o they could be unimpressed, shocked, not get the joke and waiting for the punchline (that isn't there) or so impressed that someone has something witty to say in character that they don't know what to say back or do next. Learn to read body and face language and if you have to explain why your quotes or lines are funny or cool to someone that means there probably not. Remember Universal appeal and experiment often so you can see what works. Once you find what works stick with it but don't beat it to death.

5. If your character falls under a category like pirate or wizard find other pirate or wizard cosplayers and form a troupe. If your doing fantasy characters.. like oc's from your favourite role playing game then it's cool to see an elf, a dwarf, a fighter, a mage all hanging out. Troupes are impressive and imply team work and community.

6. If your characters costume is simple make sure the colours are contrasting or saturated so they stick out more and it is easy to tell it is purposely simple, or rely heavily on your props to make up where your costume may seem "lacking" otherwise, even if you are being accurate. Also make sure your simplicity is neat and tidy, unless your playing a dirty sort of character, then overdo it a bit by adding a bit of make up to make them seem roughed up. Make the implications strong enough that your purposely dirty. If your character outfit is more complicated be meticilous with your details and it will impress people enough to want to know more about your oc.

The Partisan
05-08-2006, 09:43 AM
My original character and costume has been in development for over a year now and it probably will for another couple more years.....

Malicious
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
But, if your character is a character that wears normal clothes and has a normal hair color and all of that, I wouldn't go for it.

in a past convention some guy won for his skit, and he was wearing a white shirt and pants. u call that cosplay? i don't think its fair that he would win over someone else who worked hard on their costume.:untrust:

xinababo
05-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Haha I'm planning to make up a character from a non-existant fighting game that I made up in my head and her main theme of her outfit will be....SEWING!

I'm planning for the character to have giant spools of thread on her head/hair somehow and have her carry around a giant needle. Measuring tape will be around her waist or something like that lol. I just want this to look really cool and stand out amongst the crowd XD

I really really really love to see original characters that look very unique and original and just OUT there with great craftsmanship! And I'm not talking about original samurai characters where it's just "Zomg Fear me and my unique dark blue hakama pants with my samurai sword!" I mean wow..but...not very original even though the character IS made up. I love to see things that are just OUT there! Things that have a unique theme and have challenging looking props :3

TiyenaKayla
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm thinking of doing an OC from a story I'm writing(hopefully one day will be on the net in WEb-comic form) One day I will do it it's just a matter of when I can afford it I don't want to do it untill I can afford to do it correctly.

ChicoChan
05-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I have a ton of designs I want to do one day. I think it's awesome if your design is good enough. Don't buy some crappy clothes and put safety pins and cat ears and call yourself an original character. That sucks.

Dragonmun
05-10-2006, 12:42 AM
5. If your character falls under a category like pirate or wizard find other pirate or wizard cosplayers and form a troupe. If your doing fantasy characters.. like oc's from your favourite role playing game then it's cool to see an elf, a dwarf, a fighter, a mage all hanging out. Troupes are impressive and imply team work and community.

You have no idea how badly I want to get the Sivoa/Libris Del Sol military uniform pattern completed so that I can storm MegaCon with my own army. Still working on it though... probably will take a while cause both my pattern makers are busy busy people. X'D

Dragonmun
05-10-2006, 12:57 AM
My original character and costume has been in development for over a year now and it probably will for another couple more years.....

Well.. I've seen your costume progress thusfar and you've done a pretty nifty job of assembling a bunch of stuff that looks cool when worn together. Some modifications and you really might be onto something.
^_~

The only problem that I'm having with understanding your work is the character himself. Why is it going to take so long to make is costume when you've got so much already? What is it that you're missing?