PDA

View Full Version : Reading Manga

AnimeParty
02-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Do prefer reading manga in English or Japanese?

JoeBoeing
02-07-2003, 06:41 PM
I had to choose Japanese because I always hear that things get lost in the translation from Japanese to English and from watching anime it does.

That's not saying English is bad. I watch english dubs of anime but I prefer it in it's origional language because things like chan, san, kun, sensei, senpai and stuff brings a whole new meaning that almost all englich versions lack.

FRom,
Joe

Rosiel
02-07-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm a lazy bum, so I prefer to read my manga translated in French. As for the differences in speech Joe mentioned, they DO exist in French, which is why I think the mapping Japanese -> French generally makes for better translations than Japanese -> English.

As for things getting lost in translation, I have to say that LESS is lost in a /professional/ translation than if read by someone who does not have a deep understanding of the language. Which is why a lot of the self-appointed "fan translation police" tends to irritate me. Unless you've attained a native-level understanding of the language, you have no grounds to complain about translations. ^___^

JoeBoeing
02-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Greetings Rosiel and all,

I agree with what Rosiel said about the fan police. I'm still extreemly new to Japanese manga and the Japanese language so I'm not about to pin point a ton of translation problems because I'm not skilled enough in Japanese.

I do however say that the english language has no equivalent to the ,san, kun, chan, senpai and other honorifics because there are so many ways to use them and certin guidlines that take on a whole new meaning depending on the given situation.

Rosiel, how do the Japanese honorifics translate into french?

FRom,
Joe

Rosiel
02-07-2003, 08:55 PM
> Rosiel, how do the Japanese honorifics translate into french?

Not through a one-to-one mapping, for the French do not have as many honorofics as the Japanese do, but through the use of different levels of speech which are similar to the Japanese. You don't address someone your age and someone older the same way in French, it would be rude. The language is a lot more gendered and layered than English. You could translate it through gender specific additions/truncation to the names, titles etc, but it's so much better expressed through the use of different levels of formality in speech.

The idea is not to translate the honorifics directly (which would sound tacky), but translate the spirit behind them.

Although if all you want are honorifics, you could just add them in the new language.

And I have to say, some mangas I prefer in translation. ^__^ Like Angel Sanctuary, because French being a latin language I can imagine Angels speaking it much easier than imagining them speak Japanese. And because French, through its decadence, is in my eyes more fitted to long pseudo-philosophical discourses than Japanese. It's all in the atmosphere.
(Hellsing I would rather read in English though, makes more sense.)

mughi3
02-22-2003, 11:28 AM
i always buy the original japanese collected volumes...and i speak/red japanese so it is kinda obvious right :D

Vinya
02-22-2003, 11:32 AM
I'd take my manga in Japanese, if that was possible. (And I knew some more kanji. I have trouble reading doujinshi because of that!) Yeah, well, I can only access manga in English, so English it is. I hope that some day I could read them in Japanese, too. ^_^

Sakura
02-22-2003, 12:39 PM
I can only read English so I take what I can get ^^ I have some Japanese manga but that's only for the pretty pictures since I can't read a damn word. I also get magazines like Nakayoshi and Ultra Jump because I like some of the series in there and I follow along with pictures.

GinNeko
02-22-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Sakura
I can only read English so I take what I can get ^^ I have some Japanese manga but that's only for the pretty pictures since I can't read a damn word. I also get magazines like Nakayoshi and Ultra Jump because I like some of the series in there and I follow along with pictures.

Yay, I'm not alone! I too buy japanese manga for the art, but I can't really read any of it. I can *kind of* read kana, and if I wasn't lazy, I could probably attempt translating things for myself, though they probably wouldn't be very good translations...^^;.

Cocoa
02-22-2003, 09:48 PM
Most of my manga is in Japanese, because most of the series I like haven't been translated yet, and the one that is being translated, I am less than happy with the official translations. Plus, it's cheaper for me to buy them in Japanese ^^ However, Tokyopop has some titles coming out soon that I'm going to buy translated, I think. I don't like them enough to wade through fan translations, but I'll read them in English.
-Cocoa

Babbit_Chan
02-22-2003, 10:03 PM
I will, on rare occasion, buy the Japanese version if I REALLY like a series. Otherwise, it's graphic novels for me (which is okay).

videogirlc
02-22-2003, 10:58 PM
My manga is in english and my art books in Japanese.

Ali-kun
02-23-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm stingy, I don't like to pay the extra for the translation and reprinting...I guess that's bad for all the people who can't read Japanese at all, because I'm one less person buying translated manga - hopefully they won't stop translating just because of people like me ;P

I'm not at all fluent in Japanese, but I am learning, and so reading manga (especially fluffy girly stuff with easy language) is a good way for me to practice. Same reason I have Spanish copies of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (from that last one I learned that you address a queen in the vosotros form, which was not particularly USEFUL knowledge but rather interesting nonetheless ^_^)

AnimeParty
02-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Me Japanese/Korean...so I read it in Japanese...blah...but my large collection of Manga includes many English GNs.

chibi-dj
02-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by videogirlc
My manga is in english and my art books in Japanese.

im with videogirlc on this one......*can't read Japanese ;___;*

MikigamiTokiya
02-24-2003, 08:40 AM
I prefer mine in japanese or whatever the original language is and then looking up translations or making up stories..i'm a bored person lol

Marth
02-24-2003, 10:13 PM
I prefer Manga in Castillian Spanish... My family in Spain sends me manga! I have all 42 volumes of DragonBall, Cowa!, Kajika, and 5 volumes of Rurouni Kenshin... and it says in the front page: Literal translation direct from the original Japanese version...

can't wait till my uncle sends me some more Kenshin!!!

Shadow Lady
02-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Japanese.
I'm in second year japanese class and it helps me study. If I don't now a word I just whip out my handy dandy dictionary. ^_^

cyankirby
02-25-2003, 12:58 AM
I read english manga because it would A) take me too long to read it in french due to my long time away from any french speakers and B) and I can't read any other languages. Oh well.

Cocoa
02-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Marth, I've noticed that some manga comes out faster in languages other than english, interestingly. Have a friend who reads Portugese manga. I, however, am happy with my Japanese manga...I'm actually starting to pick up little bits of Japanese. Amazed myself the other night by being able to roughly translate a whole line without a dictionary the other night - 'anata no nozomi wa boku o korosu koto desu ka?', which is along the lines of 'Your wish is to kill me?' Yay for Seishirou ^^
-Cocoa

Michi
02-27-2003, 10:28 AM
I prefer reading/buying it in Japanese to sharpen my skills, and because it's cheaper too. ^^; I won't dismiss English translations though, and will read them at friend's houses or online. *nods* You miss some jokes, wordplay, and other neat things when it's translated... This is why bilingual manga are cool, but I've never bought any. ^_^; I've only seen Love Hina and Cardcaptor Sakura this way, and it's not worth the price for me, for those series.. Yeah. Woo rambling. *skips away*

Something Lulu
02-28-2003, 12:25 AM
I only read them in English because the only other language I can read is Spanish, and my Spanish has gotten so terrible since I moved out my house that I wouldn't understand everything if I read a manga in it. Not only that, but I can get English manga at a 30% discount from work.

Kirschwasser
02-28-2003, 12:08 PM
I only buy manga in Japanese, because it is the original. Besides, there are just some sayings and jokes in Japanese that you can't translate into another language.
As long as it has furigana by the Kanji, that is excellent. But doujinshi's without furigana....aaaaahh! What a nightmare. I don't know 1/18 of Kanji. It's so hard!
And for you Xenogears fans...try reading the Perfect Works artbook. It is a nightmare for me, because there are no furigana at all. -_-*

Teteiyusu
03-03-2003, 06:12 PM
I get the Japanese versions, but the english verions don't bother me that much!

The only thing I hate about the english versions:

1.) If they make a certain character female when the character is a male. (I just hate that!) it just takes away from the story and character.