PDA

View Full Version : What convention are we sharing with?

desperado
11-26-2005, 10:20 PM
I know last year we shared the convetion with a Christian convention (I will say this now there was not very Christianlike behavior out of that camp but humans are humans) anways...Is there going to be another convetion sharing it with us this year? Hopefully it is something we wont clash horribly with.

BountyBebopLuva
11-27-2005, 12:12 AM
I heard it was a cheerleading con.. I'm thinking if that's so I rather have God con back

HelenaInvictus
11-27-2005, 02:08 AM
I heard it was a cheerleading con.. I'm thinking if that's so I rather have God con back

Why? cheerleaders are far nicer than bible thumpers. Remember, don't judge a book by it's cover, I was varsity cheerleader in high school and they are just as nerdy as the rest of us!

BountyBebopLuva
11-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Why? cheerleaders are far nicer than bible thumpers. Remember, don't judge a book by it's cover, I was varsity cheerleader in high school and they are just as nerdy as the rest of us!

*bows* Forgive me, I've just never had a good experience with cheerleaders. :thumbsup: I'm sure not everyone is bad! Just those few bad apples spoiled it all for me I suppose. No offense ment! Not at all! *slinks off*

Marisca4
11-27-2005, 04:12 AM
I actually didn't have any problems with the people from the christian convention. Everyone that I talked to from there seemed nice.

I'm not sure about the cheerleading gathering. There is a cheerleading competition being held in columbus, OH the same weekend as ohayocon but according to varsity.com, its being held at the Aladdin Shriner's Complex.

desperado
11-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Hmmm cheerleaders.... No offence but 90 percent of cheerleaders are judging and condesending pricks. And I agree even though some of the Christians were very rude some of them were quite nice (if im not mistaken I think one of the VA's that was there went and had a talk with them after the first couple days about their attitude and layed it to them. But I may be thinking of a similar incident)

Karrit
11-27-2005, 02:01 PM
last year I crossplayed as Lupin (hee!) and one of the Christians asked me if I was some kind of an Elvis.

Anyway, not all of the Christians are bad. I didn't have any problems with most. I'm not sure how I feel about Cheerleaders, but I'll be cool with them as long as they don't bother me.

KnuxieChan
11-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Mmm.. Cheerleaders.. Prepare for Mal to snarl and glare at those preps. They'll probably point and laugh at us. I will intimidate them vith my viener!

I hope it isn't a bible thumper convention.. the kids thought we were cool, but the parents were.. ugh.

Hikaruchan
11-27-2005, 09:22 PM
We shared with a cheerleading group at MTAC one year - ended up the chaperones and not the cheerleaders were where the few problems came from.

alucarD_The_Sta
11-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Why? cheerleaders are far nicer than bible thumpers.

well, im not too familiar with the term "bible thumper", i just assume it means "people who go over board about religion", but you are right about not judging a book by its cover, im a Christian, but i also love anime and as long as the person is nice to me, im as nice as i can be back to them. and i think the thing about how cheerleaders are mostly "pricks" is kind of a stero-type, because i know some people who are/were cheerleaders and they are very nice (and some of them like anime).

Sadira Pookie
11-27-2005, 10:40 PM
i actually had a decent intervention with christian con goers. our soul cal group was rehearsing in the hall on the way to where the masquerade was, and a few stopped by to talk to us. they didn't push religion on us, but did talk to us about how we made our costumes and a few of them had played the game and actually enjoyed our craftmanship.

cheerleaders on the other hand......i'd be more afraid of their mothers and chaperones and whatnot. i work at a joann's in columbus, and the cheer leading mothers are always the nasty customers. gossiping and whatnot. grrrr. i did know one cheerleader who liked anime and was nice. but then again, the whole rest of the lot i knew were very stereotypically a cheerleader. then again, some of them migth think we're geeks who sit around and watch tv all day, when most otaku have pretty down to earth lives.

eh the groups will only clash if we wander too far into their domain and them into ours. then again, we share a food court, so we shall see.

LousyItachi
11-27-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. If people are rude to you, tell them to mind their own god damn fucking business. Stupid normies.

Okay, on second thought, yes, that's a bit harsh. But who the hell are a bunch of strangers to judge you for your hobbies? It's not like your smuggling Ebola-infected monkeys into the country or anything. It's cosplay. God. People just need to shut up and mind their manners sometimes.

Miyabi-
11-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes..it's a cheerleading competition that's going on this weekend. A majority of them will be guests at the hotel. Just be polite and if they try to start stuff...smile and walk away or inform a staffer.

The last thing we want is for them to be able to say bad things about *us* right? ^_^

And...well, *some* cheerleaders really do like anime and cosplay! *hides her jr high cheerleading uniform under her bed and coughs delicately*

edgeskater
11-28-2005, 01:07 AM
I actually had a decent conversation with one of the guys from the god-con about theology and he was pretty understaing and open untill we exchanged emails and he wrote me saying that jesus would accept me if i turned to him. He pretty much went back on all the openess that he showed at the con.

LousyItachi
11-28-2005, 03:58 AM
Haha, am I the only one reminded of that fake banner ad "Accept Jesus as your lord and savior and win a free PSP!!!"?

Elycium
11-28-2005, 08:25 AM
It's not like your smuggling Ebola-infected monkeys into the country or anything.

well crap, now that you let everyone in on that plan... ~_^

I'm sad that I missed last year's Ohayocon, sounds like it could have been interesting. Cheerleaders on the other hand... well, to be honest, if they turn out to be anything like the stereotypical cheerleaders, then I doubt they'd even wander over our way. Only the ones who are curious about our geekieness will come our way. That being said, I find it usually is the parents, not the children, who are worse.

Haha, am I the only one reminded of that fake banner ad "Accept Jesus as your lord and savior and win a free PSP!!!"?

o_o... I'm turning that into a bumper sticker for my car.

KnuxieChan
11-28-2005, 12:50 PM
I actually had a decent conversation with one of the guys from the god-con about theology and he was pretty understaing and open untill we exchanged emails and he wrote me saying that jesus would accept me if i turned to him. He pretty much went back on all the openess that he showed at the con.
Lucky. The people that taked to me pretended to be interested in anime, then started forcing their beliefs and religion on me. -_o

My parents were SERIOUSLY ticked off about that. They're religious, but not the overboard kind. (They like anime too. X3)

akicafe
11-28-2005, 02:32 PM
The ohio association of realtors have some meetings on the first floor of the hyatt, I believe, on saturday and sunday. As per the convention center's web site:

-Remodel & landscape expo - january 4-9
-Spirit Power (cheerleaders) - january 6-8

sounds like a fun mix, beware, cheerleaders get glitter EVERYWHERE.

Eurobeat King
11-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Lucky. The people that taked to me pretended to be interested in anime, then started forcing their beliefs and religion on me. -_o

I remember seeing a lot of that last year at Ohayocon, and that happened to some of my friends who were cosplaying. A couple of times I had to pull my friends away, making some excuse just to get them away. :eeek: Seriously, if the Christian convention attendees start doing that to you this year (or anyone else) this year, simply excuse yourself and walk-away if they start talking about religion, if you're not interested in that stuff..

Kaitou Kid
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Marisca4]I actually didn't have any problems with the people from the christian convention. Everyone that I talked to from there seemed nice.

I also really had no problems with the people from the christian convention. I remember one girl was really nice. At first me and my friend thought she was dared or something to talk to us by one of her friends that were behind her but to our suprize and theres the girl complomented us on our costumes and asked what everyone was dressed up for and we explained. She said one of her friends is into anime so she will have to go to one of these sometime. she was very nice only if every christian was like that not trying to shove religion down your throat.

ArsenalFierce13
11-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I just had a somewhat, um, awkward experience with the Christian convention. I was wearing my I-no costume from Guilty Gear XX, which is, admittedly, a bit skanky. I was on the stairs with another GG cosplayer and we were going to take a few pictures, and then what must have been THE ENTIRE CONVENTION came flooding down said stairs. The girls all shot me dirty looks, the guys were trying to start conversations with me about my guitar. I'm glad no one proselytized me, though.

Miyabi-
11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
lol...well, if any of you have problems with the cheerleaders feel free to hunt me down and I'll politely ask them to go back to their side of the con center unless they plan on buying a badge to attend ours. ^_^

Doubt they want to pay $30 to make fun of people. :bigtu:

If that doesn't work...well, I bite. ^_^

KnuxieChan
11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
lol...well, if any of you have problems with the cheerleaders feel free to hunt me down and I'll politely ask them to go back to their side of the con center unless they plan on buying a badge to attend ours. ^_^

We can threaten them with your fishy and my angst! X3

And maybe my bratwurst, when I'm Jeager. I'll just pull it out of my pants.. mwuahaha..

Miyabi-
11-28-2005, 10:08 PM
We can threaten them with your fishy and my angst! X3

And maybe my bratwurst, when I'm Jeager. I'll just pull it out of my pants.. mwuahaha..

*giggle* I HoPe ThEy LikE GReeN MouSe and TElePhoNe iCe CReam! ^_^ And THeY ShouLd fOlLow My FISH sinCe He kNowS WhEre to Go AnD TheN wE'LL gO FinD thE DAncing LaDy!

tohru_tohru
11-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I did some searching, and like previously discussed, all I see happening with Ohayocon at the Convention Center is "Spirit Power" Cheering competition and "Remodel & Landscape Expo". It's iffy with "Spirit Power" though, since their website is down, and the cache for it actually lists the event happening the following weekend. It's still listed as a January event, though: http://www.columbusconventions.com/whats_new_calendar.htm

*giggle* I HoPe ThEy LikE GReeN MouSe and TElePhoNe iCe CReam! ^_^ And THeY ShouLd fOlLow My FISH sinCe He kNowS WhEre to Go AnD TheN wE'LL gO FinD thE DAncing LaDy!

OT: Did I just see a reference to Delirium?! 0.0

BountyBebopLuva
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM

I'm holding you to this.

Miyabi-
11-29-2005, 02:16 AM
I did some searching, and like previously discussed, all I see happening with Ohayocon at the Convention Center is "Spirit Power" Cheering competition and "Remodel & Landscape Expo". It's iffy with "Spirit Power" though, since their website is down, and the cache for it actually lists the event happening the following weekend. It's still listed as a January event, though: http://www.columbusconventions.com/whats_new_calendar.htm

OT: Did I just see a reference to Delirium?! 0.0

Indeed you did! Shippo and I and another friend are doing a Sandman cosplay on Sunday. (I think it's sunday?) I'll be Delirium!! We need more people! Join! ^_^ *shameless promotion*

I'm holding you to this.

Errr...okay maybe biting will be a last resort. :thumbsup: I don't want cooties!

Bobbi
11-29-2005, 04:00 AM
Almost all of the people that I encountered last year were pretty nice. Again, I noticed more problems with the adults than the younger people. I had some nice conversations with a few of them. ^^

The cheerleading convention ought to be interesting. At least anime is more popular now, so I'm sure we'll see many closet anime-loving cheerleaders out there.

But yeah, if you encounter any rude people from the other convention, please do contact the staff and let them know. Handle it in a civilized manner please. :)

Lady
11-29-2005, 11:40 AM

It's true. I still have scars from an encounter with an enraged Miyabi. Anger at your own risk.

Honestly, I feel worse for the cheerleaders than I do for my fellow congoers. Imagine the kinds of stares they'll be getting from some of our ... less socially and hygenically blessed attendees.

kalajessta
11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
At least it's not a lawyer convention like at Colossal =/

desperado
11-29-2005, 03:53 PM
If that was at this years one then it was more hilarious then anything (didnt hear of any confrontations). People in suits walking around looking hoplessly lost.

kalajessta
11-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Actually it was. This year at Colossal, they doubled boooked the hotel with an anime con and a laywer con =/

Chibik3r0
11-29-2005, 04:28 PM
I really had no problem with the Christian convention last year. A few of them stopped to take photos and I also had a conversation with one of the older soccer-mom types... Of course the conversation eventually led to religion but I politely excused myself out. I've heard a few stories of people much less fortunate than me.

I'm almost dreading the cheerleaders more than the Christians. Granted, some cheerleaders also get stereotyped and isolated in their own way, but I'm almost sure we'll hear of some interesting stories and conflict by the end of the convention.

Eurobeat King
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Better than a Soccer convention.. hehe I heard the horror-stories from Animazement 2004 (i think that was it) about soccer moms & their kids with their treatment towards cosplayers.. :untrust:

But regardless of another convention happening the same time as Ohayocon, do your best not to let the non-Ohayocon attendees ruin your weekend for you. :) And be nice to them too so that have fun at their own convention..

Miyabi-
11-30-2005, 01:36 AM
It's true. I still have scars from an encounter with an enraged Miyabi. Anger at your own risk.

Honestly, I feel worse for the cheerleaders than I do for my fellow congoers. Imagine the kinds of stares they'll be getting from some of our ... less socially and hygenically blessed attendees.

Hey, it's your own fault for trying to steal that cookie off of my plate! :untrust: j/k

*snicker* Those poor poor cheerleaders...but hey, they can walk away! We have to deal with those attendees aaaaall weekend. ^_^

Showers are your friends everyone! (ESPECIALLY you DDR-lovin people!) :thumbsup:

desperado
11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Amen to that!

marsie
11-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Hmmm cheerleaders.... No offence but 90 percent of cheerleaders are judging and condesending pricks.*points to self and then to cheerleading uniform in closet* No offense but that was a REALLY rude and judgemental. The same could be said about you.

I don't see what the big deal is. If people are rude to you, tell them to mind their own god damn fucking business. Stupid normies.

Okay, on second thought, yes, that's a bit harsh. But who the hell are a bunch of strangers to judge you for your hobbies? It's not like your smuggling Ebola-infected monkeys into the country or anything. It's cosplay. God. People just need to shut up and mind their manners sometimes.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter....

alucarD_The_Sta
12-01-2005, 12:01 AM
well they did say "90%" which doesnt mean ALL of them, so you could be part of the 10%.

(i didnt mean that in a smartass or rude way)

LousyItachi
12-01-2005, 02:06 AM
That's still a weak argument.

Eurobeat King
12-01-2005, 02:43 AM
OK, everyone.. before this thread gets out of hand, I ask that you tone down the language in some of your replies, and not turn this into a drama-thread, or else I'll have to close it. From this point on, please keep it civil.

Miyabi-
12-01-2005, 02:58 AM
Let's talk about something new.....*thinks*

*thinks*

Okay, what does everyone plan on doing the weekend? Photoshoots, panels (coughcoughcometomyetiquettepanelcoughcough), video rooms, game rooms? Where can we stalk, er...happen to find you that weekend? ^_^

My plans: doing the pre-judging thing, hosting a panel on convention etiquette (come by and say Hi!), judging, going to the dance, attending the CC photoshoot...and..well,tons of wandering around aimlessly. ^_^

LousyItachi
12-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Well, it doesn't make much sense to change the subject since this thread is discussing who we're sharing the convention with. So, if the thread's topic has been deemed inappropriate, it should probably just be closed, no?

Eurobeat King
12-01-2005, 03:42 AM
I can only forsee it getting worse on this thread since the never-ending topic about how non-anime convention attendees dislike cosplayers, and vice-versa, will always be present at conventions. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens come Ohayocon in January..