PDA

View Full Version : Ad Astra - March 31, April 1, April 2, 2006, Toronto

Chanilye
12-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi everyone,

Ad Astra 2006 will be Ad Astra's 25th anniversary celebration. Here's the basic information:

Ad Astra is a not-for-profit volunteer run organization that puts on an annual convention. The focus is science fiction and fantasy literature but we have expanded to include costuming, media, comics, and science content.

When: March 31, April 1, April 2, 2006
Where: Crowne Plaza Toronto Don Valley Hotel, 1250 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario
Web Site: http://www.ad-astra.org
Email: info@ad-astra.org

Guests:
Terry Brooks
Peter David
Ray Harryhausen
Betsy Mitchell
Rowena Morrill
Fan Guest David Warren and
Ray Bradbury via satellite

We've extended our pre-registration deadline for the holidays. If you send in your registration before December 31st 2005 the full weekend price is $45. That's a $20 savings from the at the door price!

There will be day passes available. Last year we introduced a $5 discount at the door for students as well as a $5 discount for anyone who came in costume (although they didn't stack), so I'll be sure to confirm if that's being offered again.

This year we're greatly expanding our costuming programming. You can expect panels and workshops for everyone from beginners to master costumers. There are people on this board who can fill in the details of the panels much better than I can. :)

We're bringing back our Costumers' Suite, a place for people to meet fellow costumers, work on last minute costume touchups and to watch masquerade videos.

We have a Masquerade with prizes. Last year we had a lot of strong entries from all different genres. We're also planning on having hall costume awards.

Last year we really worked hard at increasing our costuming content and it was a great success. Everyone enjoyed seeing so many people cosplaying around the convention, and the fun and energy the cosplayers brought to our event.

We have a lot of programming, events like concerts and comedy shows, opportunties to meet and mingle with guests, a dance, a ConSuite, room parties and more.

archangeli
12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
For ONCE a convention is being held near my house and not out in the far west LOL - the Crowne Plaza is about 10 mins driving from our house.

I definitely plan on attending AA again, I had a great time last year :D

Kia
12-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Ad Astra is one of my favourite cons of the year, so I'll deffinately be there (even more incentive, since I pre-registered at the end of the con last year ^_^). It'll be my 3rd year at Ad Astra and I'm hoping to enter the masq this year (for once!). Now I just need to drag all my friends along. ^_^

dani
12-02-2005, 12:29 AM
I got my first ever costume award at Ad Astra. You can bet your boots I'll be there!
Panelist? contestant? dealer? All of the above? Still time to decide...

Jo_Canadian
12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
oh hell count me in, ive already been told by elemental im being drafted into the ranks of masquerade staff.

Kaijugal
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
I'll post the costuming tracks as soon as thier definate. One definate is a panel on how to make custom fitting corsets.

Teaser on programming?

Doll Nerds of the World UNITE!
As well rumor has it there will be a gothic lolita/dolls mad teaparty party on Friday Night. So wear your gothic or historical garb and bring your Volks, or Pullip, or any doll and enter our Doll fashion show/beauty contest. Prizes in many categories including "Most Angsty Doll". XD
Teddy bears and the like welcome too.
Cheers!

novaraven1
12-02-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry I can't go this year. I went as a volunteer last year but it's just too expensive, my con budget is shot. I think AN will be the only one I get to, and I'll be counting my pennies for admission again this year.

The lolita stuff sounds like lots of fun. I'll be telling my friends. You guys come up with some really good ideas!

Squall1882
12-02-2005, 07:14 PM
I had so much fun last year it's definately on my to do list for this year!!

shiro_hikaru
12-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I wanna try and make it out to as many cons as I can this year so definitely count me in as long as if doesn't conflict with my spring exam schedule.

I'm excited about the Gothic Lolita Mad Teaparty Party, hopefully I'll have the white rabbit done by then... otherwise I'll just have to go as a gothic aristocrat.

Oselle
12-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Ooh! A white rabbit - I will be wearing my Cheshire Cat, hurrah for Wonderloliland!

And of course I will be at Ad Astra. I would love to say something more witty about the incredible range of panels and workshops and so on...but I'll just say that it's a great con, come and strut your stuff in the masquerade and check out lots of costuming programming!

Infini
12-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm definitely going! I just hope I can get all my costumes done by then. *is lazy* This will be my first year going to Ad Astra, as I couldn't afford it last year even though I wanted to go. It sounds like everyone has a good time at this con, so I'm looking forward to it. =D

Mage
12-04-2005, 01:29 AM
I hope to make this my first year to go to Ad Astra. Hell, I'd go just for the corset panel. =)

Kaijugal
12-04-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry I can't go this year. I went as a volunteer last year but it's just too expensive, my con budget is shot. I think AN will be the only one I get to, and I'll be counting my pennies for admission again this year.

The lolita stuff sounds like lots of fun. I'll be telling my friends. You guys come up with some really good ideas!

Ah that's unfortunate. We'll I hope we get lots of Lolitas and Dolls out. ^_^

Maybe next time.

Cheers!

Pompeii
12-05-2005, 05:19 PM
what's it like there? cAuse I'm considering going?
I only seem to attend aniem cons though... hm....
:heart:

stillvisions
12-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm all over being there... have to think of something to do for the tea-party, but otherwise, I'm set to go and registered.

Amy the Yu
12-06-2005, 08:37 PM
:heart:Join me in the first attending of non-anime con. @_@;;

The more I ponder it, the more I wanna go. I may just listen to Kaijugal and get a table in the Artist Alley or something.

I know some people have had problems with wearing more...revealing costumes. I think I might do just that so I can see just how it works. XD *is retarded*

In all seriousness...I'll probably just rewear costumes from Ohayocon and MacTAC, and since the costumes from those two total 3 new costumes, there's my 3 costumes for Ad Astra. =D

shiro_hikaru
12-06-2005, 08:39 PM
I know some people have had problems with wearing more...revealing costumes. I think I might do just that so I can see just how it works. XD *is retarded*

really??? I'm glad I retired the Kitty boy then... giggles

more revealing... I wonder whether or not that could classify under oxymoron.

AncientWanderer
12-06-2005, 09:08 PM
This sounds like fun. ^_^ I've been thinking of pulling together a more fantasy-based cosplay, but my past cons weren't really the place to do it.

I've always wanted to do a Dragonlance cosplay....mmmm, Dragonlance. I also have an original Middle Earth character, so this could be really great if I can make it there.

Pompeii
12-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Join me in the first attending of non-anime con. @_@;;

The more I ponder it, the more I wanna go. I may just listen to Kaijugal and get a table in the Artist Alley or something.

In all seriousness...I'll probably just rewear costumes from Ohayocon and MacTAC, and since the costumes from those two total 3 new costumes, there's my 3 costumes for Ad Astra. =D
lol
Well, Me and my friend are palnnign on going so we sahalls ee you there!
Now what to wear o.o
Maybe I'll do the Geisha costume I was planning on doing, or redoing my Reno one?
I unno

Chanilye
12-07-2005, 09:57 AM

Hopefully some other people who've attended Ad Astra before can add their own thoughts and experiences to mine.

I've been attending Ad Astra for about 6 years now. I first went because some of my friends had been going and liked it. I've regularly attended Anime North and Toronto Trek, and have been to Otakon, DragonCon, Con*Cept and Fandemonium.

I like Ad Astra because it has a relaxed and social feel. Anime North was at about 10,000 people last year while Ad Astra is closer to 800. Because of this you get to know people better and socialize more. That might mean you get more attention by being in costume just because there's not such big crowds of people. It also can be easier to have your opinion heard. Every Ad Astra attendee even gets to vote to decide who will be on the Board of Directors for Ad Astra and can run themselves if they want.

I've found that our guests tend to be very approachable and like to mix with the attendees, so there's many opportunties to see them.

The crowd is on average older than at an anime convention, but that's starting to change. I'm in my late twenties myself so where at an anime con I may be one of the older people, at Ad Astra I'm part of the younger set. I've found that most people are friendly and accepting (there are sadly always a few exceptions :( ) . Even if someone isn't into anime they can appreciate a well made costume, or respect someone else's interest, (and just because someone is older doesn't mean they aren't into anime).

I like the quality of panels at Ad Astra. I've found that the panelists we have tend to be knowledgable, informative and very enthusiastic. We have authors, scientists, editors, artists, etc. sitting on panels about their subject areas, so you can get the point of view of different professionals. We have panels on writing, sci fi, fantasy, comics, science and technology among other things besides the costuming track.

The person responsible for our Anime room works with many anime conventions including Anime North. He tries to accomodate requests he gets ahead of time for shows or movies, and tries to show a mix of classic and newer anime.

Oh, and I love the one man comedy show that Jason Taniguchi does at Ad Astra, where he does his own version of a different movie each year like the Lord of the Rings films, Star Wars and Spiderman. :)

Kia
12-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Oh, and I love the one man comedy show that Jason Taniguchi does at Ad Astra, where he does his own version of a different movie each year like the Lord of the Rings films, Star Wars and Spiderman. :)
Probably one of my favourite parts of Ad Astra. Jason is funny as hell and I always get excited to see him perform. I usually drag unsuspecting people with me to watch as well. ^_^

Chanilye
12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Oh, it also may interest some people that we will be having tastings again, and this year they should among others include: chocolate, coffee and cheese tastings.

There is a fee to attend a tasting, which covers the cost of materials. Tickets for the tastings are sold at the convention, but if you for example knew you absolutely wanted to try the chocolate tasting, you could put a note on your pre-reg form asking to put a ticket aside for you and you'd just pay at the door.

The point of a tasting is to try small amounts of different things. You will get a chance to sample flavours and quality products you may not have had before.

I'll post prices and times when they're finalized if anyone's interested :)

Pompeii
12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Hopefully some other people who've attended Ad Astra before can add their own thoughts and experiences to mine.

I've been attending Ad Astra for about 6 years now. I first went because some of my friends had been going and liked it. I've regularly attended Anime North and Toronto Trek, and have been to Otakon, DragonCon, Con*Cept and Fandemonium.

I like Ad Astra because it has a relaxed and social feel. Anime North was at about 10,000 people last year while Ad Astra is closer to 800. Because of this you get to know people better and socialize more. That might mean you get more attention by being in costume just because there's not such big crowds of people. It also can be easier to have your opinion heard. Every Ad Astra attendee even gets to vote to decide who will be on the Board of Directors for Ad Astra and can run themselves if they want.

I've found that our guests tend to be very approachable and like to mix with the attendees, so there's many opportunties to see them.

The crowd is on average older than at an anime convention, but that's starting to change. I'm in my late twenties myself so where at an anime con I may be one of the older people, at Ad Astra I'm part of the younger set. I've found that most people are friendly and accepting (there are sadly always a few exceptions :( ) . Even if someone isn't into anime they can appreciate a well made costume, or respect someone else's interest, (and just because someone is older doesn't mean they aren't into anime).

I like the quality of panels at Ad Astra. I've found that the panelists we have tend to be knowledgable, informative and very enthusiastic. We have authors, scientists, editors, artists, etc. sitting on panels about their subject areas, so you can get the point of view of different professionals. We have panels on writing, sci fi, fantasy, comics, science and technology among other things besides the costuming track.

The person responsible for our Anime room works with many anime conventions including Anime North. He tries to accomodate requests he gets ahead of time for shows or movies, and tries to show a mix of classic and newer anime.

I talked to my friend about it and she said she wanted to go so we're going!
(yay!)
I wanna go even more now ^^
Basicalyl that's what anime cons are though or cons in general, you pay some odd amount of dolars to socialize XD
lol
But I agree, Anime North wouldn;t have as much as a relaxed social feel to it. Seems in this case the more the merrier ddoen;t work, ne? XD

But I'm excited never-the-less

So I guess I'll see you al there O_~

Lady_Sodina
12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm really thinking about going to this, I've never been before though, so I'll probably just go for the Saturday or something. It sounds REALLY cool though. I read up a bit on it last year, almost was going to go, can't remember why I couldn't though. But either way, I think I'm going to try to make it this year!!

Kawaii Akina
12-07-2005, 10:46 PM
I doubt I'm going to be attending to this one. Since I'm all ready attending marchtac and after that I'll be broke ><' No more cons' until AN ^^;;

MaiSheri
12-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Well, everyone here has done an excellent job of convincing me to go! I'll be sending in my registration form as soon as I can figure out who to make the cheque out to (can't be found on the site T_T).

Like many others, it seems, this will be my first Ad Astra, and my frist non-anime con. I'm hoping it will motivate me to get working on the non-anime cosplays I have in the works. :toothy:

Otaking97
12-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Once upon a time I would of liked to go to a con of this sort. Nowadays I just feel like there really isn't much there for me. So have fun everyone!

Chanilye
12-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Once upon a time I would of liked to go to a con of this sort. Nowadays I just feel like there really isn't much there for me. So have fun everyone!

That's fair enough, and thanks for the good wishes :)

As an aside:

In the past we've had a free two hour period on Saturday where anyone can come and see the convention, no money down. I'll let people know if that's happening again, since it's a way to get a feel for the convention without paying anything. If you want to stay afterwards you'd buy a membership, if you don't you'd just leave, no harm done. I'll bug people to find out if that's a go.

I'll let people know what discounts are available. We sometimes offer Saturday night only passes that are less expensive for people who just want to come for the Saturday evening/night only. You'd be able to see the masquerade, but not enter it with that pass. You could also attend the dance, go to panels, go to the ConSuite, etc.

I'm sure Kaijugal will be posting the costuming programming schedule here too so people can see if there's something to interest them there :)

Ayumi Nemoto
12-08-2005, 04:51 PM
This sounds interesting, I should be able to come :P This is my first time hearing Ad Astra and after reading some of other people's experience, I cant wait to see it for myself ^^ If would be great to be able to socialize for once since Anime North I just kept loosing people @_@

Kia
12-09-2005, 10:32 AM
For those who are definate about attending Ad Astra, I would suggest pre-reging A.S.A.P., as in before the end of the year. After that the price goes up. But Chanilye can correct me on that if I'm wrong. ^_^

Chanilye
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
For those who are definate about attending Ad Astra, I would suggest pre-reging A.S.A.P., as in before the end of the year. After that the price goes up. But Chanilye can correct me on that if I'm wrong. ^_^

You are right :) The price right now is $45 for a full weekend if you send in your cheque and registration by December 31st. Then it goes to $50 for the weekend until February 28th and after that it's $65 at the door.

We don't do refunds on memberships, but we do allow transfers so if you pre-reg and then can't come you can always give your membership to someone else as long as you send us a letter explaining that (either in the mail or with the person)

heki-chan
12-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I heard from Jordan that its $20 for Saturday-only pass! I just want to re-confirm. Cuz if so, I'll be sure to check it out, exams-permitting =D =D

Chanilye
12-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I believe last year the Saturday pass was $30, and if you used the costume or student discount the price would have been $25. That may be what someone was thinking of. There's also a late night Saturday pass that's cheaper.

The prices for day passes haven't been set yet for this year, but usually it's arranged so that the cost of Saturday plus one other day (Friday or Sunday) is about equal to the cost of a weekend pass at the door. So I'd assume that the price before any discounts for a day pass would be over $30 this year to match the weekend at door cost.

I'll try to see if we can get the day prices nailed down soon.

Anime Dave
12-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Last year I helped out at the TT19 table on Saturday. I was just going to get the Comiccon $20 pass, but found that it didn't include the Masquerade - so I decided to splurge for the $30 day pass.

And seeing as I had just been at the funeral of one of my best friends the day before, I felt I needed something to cheer me up.

lainey
12-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Young Jae and I are definitely going for sure, for Saturday at least ^_^

AncientWanderer
12-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I believe last year the Saturday pass was $30, and if you used the costume or student discount the price would have been $25. That may be what someone was thinking of. There's also a late night Saturday pass that's cheaper.

The prices for day passes haven't been set yet for this year, but usually it's arranged so that the cost of Saturday plus one other day (Friday or Sunday) is about equal to the cost of a weekend pass at the door. So I'd assume that the price before any discounts for a day pass would be over $30 this year to match the weekend at door cost.

I'll try to see if we can get the day prices nailed down soon.

If that's the case, there's an even better chance that I'll be able to attend. Since I'd want to start a new cosplay for it, anything to lower the cost is fabulous. :)
I'm starting to get really excited about this now, I hope I can go!

Chanilye
01-04-2006, 09:08 AM
We've had some people asking us about child and young adult rates for Ad Astra, so the rates have been set for 2006 as follows:

Full Weekend Pre-Reg (now until February 28, 2006):

8 years - 12 years: $15
13 years - 17 years :$25
18 and up: $50

Full Weekend At the Door:

8 years - 12 years: $20
13 years - 17 years : $40
18 and up: $65

Children 7 and under are free.

If you have already sent in a pre-reg for someone who is 17 years or under and paid the 18 plus rate, please contact us at info@ad-astra.org. We will have the difference refunded to you at the door (proof of age may be required)

I'm still trying to get confirmation of day rates and I'll post when I hear. I'll also post any discounts that may help people out.

Jo_Canadian
01-07-2006, 12:39 AM
is there anyway to check if your already registered. i pre-registered sunday last year of ad astra i wanna know if my name is on this list

Chisau
01-07-2006, 01:22 AM
what day is your Ice wine tasting panel?? that's the day i'll attend.

chef_belegfea
01-07-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm pritty much decided I'll be going... I just really need to get to work on my massive chainmail and armour building... I wanna out do my Guard costume...I hope about 3.5 months will be enough time to get everything ready...

KazeChan
01-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Ack X_x This is the con I will not be able to make it to. ^^; Gotta save up my money.

Chanilye
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
If you send an e-mail to info@ad-astra.org with your full name and the request, registration can check and confirm for you that you're on the pre-reg list. I'm one of the people who answer that address so I'll make sure it gets to the right people :)

is there anyway to check if your already registered. i pre-registered sunday last year of ad astra i wanna know if my name is on this list

Chanilye
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
what day is your Ice wine tasting panel?? that's the day i'll attend.

Programming hasn't sent out a confirmed schedule yet but I'll post the tasting info when I get it.

chef_belegfea
01-09-2006, 07:38 PM
I was just wondering if anyone was planning any LOTR costumes this year...

MaiSheri
01-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Chanilye, or anyone else here involved in the con: I hope I'm not being a pest about this, but I was wondering if it has been decided whether or not the con will be open for free for a couple hours yet. One of my professors is interested in taking her class, but conventions are pretty pricey for such an event. I think Ad astra is the only one with such a (possible) offer, at least before the term ends. I was hoping to let her know soon if checking it out obligation-free is an option.

Chanilye
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Chanilye, or anyone else here involved in the con: I hope I'm not being a pest about this, but I was wondering if it has been decided whether or not the con will be open for free for a couple hours yet. One of my professors is interested in taking her class, but conventions are pretty pricey for such an event. I think Ad astra is the only one with such a (possible) offer, at least before the term ends. I was hoping to let her know soon if checking it out obligation-free is an option.

You're not being a pest at all :) I know we don't have it confirmed yet since we're still waiting on finishing up the schedule. I'll ask our chairs and programming head if they have an idea of when it'll be. In the past it's been for about 2 hours on a Saturday, usually from something like 11-1 or 10-12. Do you know if there's any specific kinds of thing your prof wants her class to see?

MaiSheri
01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I think she was mostly interested in cosplay, actually. She's a theatre professor, and had never heard of cosplay before I talked to her a couple of months ago. Her class has to do with performance out of the context of traditional theatre, so she was really intrigued by the whole concept.

Chanilye
01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
There will be a free period at Ad Astra this year. Right now we have it tentatively scheduled for the Saturday (April 1) from 11am to 1 pm. It will be on Saturday, but until the schedule is finalized we can't confirm the time 100% and it may change slightly.

I'll keep you posted once the schedule is firmed up.

Natty Dread
01-19-2006, 06:37 PM
what exactly is this gophering theyre talking about in the volenteers section.....?

Chanilye
01-19-2006, 11:15 PM
what exactly is this gophering theyre talking about in the volenteers section.....?

Gophering is another word for general volunteering. You may have to "go for" this or that. It's for tasks that may not be easily defined under one department, e.g. registration is running low on books and needs someone to bring them more, we need chairs set up or cleared from a room, we want someone to put up signs for a room or for events, etc.

When you volunteer at Ad Astra you get to sign up for the times and duties you want, on a first come first served basis.

Kaijugal
01-20-2006, 12:00 PM
I've really enjoyed Gophering at Ad Astra. ^_^ I love working in the Consuite serving people food, that way you get to meet alot of people. ^_^

If you're thinking of attending at Gophering, definately go for it, it's pretty fun. :D Being a stage ninja is a popular choice too. :)

Sarcasm-hime
01-20-2006, 02:26 PM
This is a gripe of mine - it's Gofer, not Gopher. Gophers are small ground-dwelling mammals. Gofers are people who 'go-fer' things.

Natty Dread
01-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Being a stage ninja is a popular choice too. :)
that sounds like fun....:japan:

Chanilye
01-20-2006, 03:31 PM
This is a gripe of mine - it's Gofer, not Gopher. Gophers are small ground-dwelling mammals. Gofers are people who 'go-fer' things.

I think it's cute, so I guess it's just personal preference. Sorry it bothers you.

MaiSheri
01-20-2006, 07:01 PM
There will be a free period at Ad Astra this year. Right now we have it tentatively scheduled for the Saturday (April 1) from 11am to 1 pm. It will be on Saturday, but until the schedule is finalized we can't confirm the time 100% and it may change slightly.

I'll keep you posted once the schedule is firmed up.

Thank you very much, Chanilye! This is very helpful, even without a confirmed time! ^_^

Chanilye
01-23-2006, 09:13 PM
In case anyone here is interested Ad Astra is always looking for volunteer assistance.

If you are available to help with set up on the Friday of the convention (from about noon until the start of the convention) AND tear down on Monday you can qualify for a free weekend membership. This is physical work, since items will need to be moved and unpacked. A minimum amount of hours will be required .

We need responsible people to work as part of our Security team. Previous security experience is an asset but not necessarily required. Special rates will apply for security volunteers. Please contact us for details.

We will also need general volunteers during the weekend.

If you're interested please contact us at info@ad-astra.org. We can go over the benefits you can earn as a volunteer, make arrangements, get you in touch with people and get your contact information.

Chanilye
01-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Day rates have been posted on our web site. http://www.ad-astra.org/Pricing.html

The Chairs have decided to make them higher for this year since the weekend membership price went up from last year.

However:

You can still pre-reg for the *whole* weekend for $50 until the end of February, and it's less if you're 17 or younger.

We *will* be offering a discount at the door for people who show up in costume.

If you can help with the Friday load in and Monday unloading you will get a *free* weekend pass and not have to worry about working during the actual con (although you're welcome to).

Special rates apply for Security volunteers and for Stage Ninjas.

We will have having a free period from 11 am to 1 pm on Saturday. No money down, no strings.

Kaijugal
01-27-2006, 11:08 AM

:P Lots of the people I've worked with ARE small ground-dwelling mammals, or at least had that sort of fragrance. ^_^;

Unfortunately , if you google "Convention" and "Gopher" there are a whole slew of convention websites that use the former and not the correct word. I think Chanilye and myself are programmed from years of Toronto Trek promising volunteers access to the "super secret gopher hole"

Do you suppose it would be a correct term if it applied to people who did errands at a Furry Convention? :D

Anyhow, your gripe is noted, and has been planted.

Chanilye
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Just as a reminder, the last pre-reg deadline is coming up on February 28th. If you're 18+ the price until that date is $50 for the whole weekend. If you're 13-17, the pre-reg price is $25 for the weekend. It's a big savings from at the door and there are a lot of interesting things going on all weekend.

I know that Kaijugal has put together a weekend's worth of fun and interesting costuming panels, demos and workshops. I hope to see a lot of you there (and to get tips for myself!). Our masquerade team works hard to put on a top notch, smoothly run show and we do provide prizes for masquerade winners. And you never know what creative creations will come out of the Lightning Round where you get one hour to make a costume out of a bunch of random stuff and get to present it on stage in the masquerade.

Saturday there is a Comics Mini-Con that's free with membership. Friday night is a free meet and greet where all attendees can come and meet our Guests of Honour and panelists. There's live entertainment on Friday and Saturday. There are panels on everything from Batman to Harry Potter to writing tips. There's a Dealer's Room and an Art Show for people who want to browse or buy pretty shiny things.

So register early and take advantage of everything for a lower price!

Chanilye
03-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Ad Astra is coming up soon! We have a great masquerade planned with prizes for winners, and many costuming panels, demos and workshops, details can be found here: http://www.ad-astra.org/Masquerade.html

I hope to see many of you participating in our masquerade. :)

Oselle
03-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Keep in mind, folks, that last year at Ad Astra the Best in Show for the masquerade was a video game/anime-type entry! And I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong...) that the prize was weekend passes for Anime North. Now, that may or may not be the case this year, but it goes to show that there is a definite appreciation for anime and video game cosplayers at the con. ^_^

The costume panels are shaping up on a wide range of topics, there really is something for everyone who enjoys making costumes and presenting them!

Kia
03-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Keep in mind, folks, that last year at Ad Astra the Best in Show for the masquerade was a video game/anime-type entry! And I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong...) that the prize was weekend passes for Anime North. Now, that may or may not be the case this year, but it goes to show that there is a definite appreciation for anime and video game cosplayers at the con. ^_^

The costume panels are shaping up on a wide range of topics, there really is something for everyone who enjoys making costumes and presenting them!
That, and I think a guarenteed stop in the Anime North masquerade (since it was the first year the AN masq had used an entry cap). But I'm sure Squall1882 and Lainey would know much more about that, since they were the ones who took home that top honour. ^_^

Gah ... must get school work out of the way so I can go back to getting my own costumes done ...

Squall1882
03-07-2006, 06:42 PM
It's true, the prize for Best in Show at AdAstra was in fact passes to AN for everyone in the group.

Our entry was part video game / part jrock / part original

lainey
03-07-2006, 09:32 PM
We also got a guaranteed spot in the AN masquerade!!!
Which was a HUGE stress relief.

Though they haven't advertised yet if this is the case this year.

I encourage cosplayers to go since it was such a lovely experience last year. And if you're worried about people's reaction to your unknown costume, you don't have to worry about a thing. The congoers were very polite and were very interested in us nevertheless.

They also had awesome costuming panels, and the makeup panel was fantastic.

Unfortunately I myself cannot go because of evil school assignments and tests, but I wish I could go :( :( :(

archangeli
03-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm going material shopping this afternoon for my AA costume. Putting things off to the last minute as usual.

What sucks for me is that I will be coming from a rehearsal in the morning so I won't get to the convention until the early afternoon. But at least I got out of my shift at work - they were planning on having me work til 1am... :eeek:

*looks at Masquerade page*
Squall1882 - that mistake I pointed out to you is still there. I've emailed the webmaster. o_0"

stillvisions
03-10-2006, 12:12 AM
We also got a guaranteed spot in the AN masquerade!!!
Which was a HUGE stress relief.

Though they haven't advertised yet if this is the case this year.

Though nothing is formal, I was planning to make the same thing true this year, pending approval from head of costuming (Kaijugal) at AN.

(Note - I can't offer passes - this is just referring to the guaranteed spot in the AN masq)

Kaijugal
03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Though nothing is formal, I was planning to make the same thing true this year, pending approval from head of costuming (Kaijugal) at AN.

(Note - I can't offer passes - this is just referring to the guaranteed spot in the AN masq)

Approved. :)

Chanilye
03-13-2006, 01:25 PM
The pricing page has been updated to show the $5 discount for wearing a costume. This discount can be used at the door for either a full weekend or Saturday pass and can't be combined with other discounts.

http://www.ad-astra.org/Pricing.html

Vicky
03-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I've never been to Ad Astra, but I see people advertising it quite a lot. For those who attend, do you find it compares to FXC or AN?

archangeli
03-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I've never been to Ad Astra, but I see people advertising it quite a lot. For those who attend, do you find it compares to FXC or AN?

There is no quick and easy response to this. First off, Ad Astra is a literary convention, so if you are attending expecting lots of anime programming and video rooms you may be disappointed.

What Ad Astra does offer is lots of interesting costuming panels (like corset making, dress-form making, thermalplastics demonstrations) and coffee tastings, chocolate tastings, and wine tastings.

The target audience is perhaps a bit older than AN or FXC. I remember last year's Ad Astra thread there were a few "young 'uns" who attended and weren't happy because it wasn't what they had expected - but if you read through the Ad Astra page it gives a very good idea of what the convention has to offer.

I find the atmosphere at Ad Astra much more relaxed and friendly than at AN or FXC. I'm looking forward to the new venue this year :)

Oselle
03-13-2006, 03:26 PM

As Archangeli mentioned, the primary focus of Ad Astra is literature, so the guests tend to be authors and artists. The con is much more relaxed, but very programming-intensive, and you will find that the demographic is older than that of AN.

Personally, I really enjoy the change of pace from AN and FX; it's a nice way to start the convention season and there is such a good response to costumes (any costumes!) that it's a great weekend. Some other fun things:
- lots of open-invite parties
- costuming panels and workshops that cater to all skill levels
- Saturday night dance
- masquerade with no entries cap (in fact, we are encouraging as many people to enter as possible!) Actually, if you're planning something for Anime North but want to have a test run to tweak your performance, this could be a good place to do it...:bigtu:
- one day mini comicon (Saturday), with roughly eight or nine hours of programming featuring industry professionals. Confirmed guests so far are, J. Bone, Vatche Mavlian, Ty Templeton, Joe O'Brien, Ramon Perez, Rob Coughler, Atilla Adorjany and Eric Kim.

I hope this helps!

Vicky
03-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow thanks a lot! I knew that Ad Astra was a different "kind" of convention from the places I've seen it advertised - more adult-oriented areas like Colleges and radio stations ^^; But since I didn't know anything about it, I couldn't see what was so different, but now I understand!

It does sound like a nice change of pace, and a little more interesting as opose to panels about Yaoi, Fansub butchering, and PPP lessons.

My question in terms of a comparisson was more in terms of how the conventions function - I prefer AN and FXC because I find them very organized and target a lot of things I'm interested in... But AN, I find, is more targetted to a younger generation, so I've associated it as an event to see friends, and FXC is the con I actually attend events and meet guests... etc... I've only just heard about Ad Astra last year when I started college ^^;

Thank you, Archangeli and Oselle, for your informative answers! I'm not familiar with the guests, but the topics and context sound right up my alley!!

Kaijugal
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
There are alot of really advanced costuming techniques being taught at Ad Astra, not just panels with people talking, but demos and workshops as well. There will be things taught such as Corset Making, Pattern Modification, Leather Working, Vaccuforming, and more. You will see the materials involved, recived instruction, and in some cases get to use the demo equipment to make something yourself.

I will try and post a schedual shortly.

I'm very excited about this entire program!

I hope alot of people, especially serious costumes decide to come, even if it's just for saturday.
Cheers!

Vicky
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks, I'd love to see it ^_^
I'm dying to learn how to make a corset so I'm thinking about going O_O

dani
03-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Maybe it's a good time to point to:
Demos (http://www.ad-astra.org/Demos-Masq.html)
Panels (http://www.ad-astra.org/Panels-Masq.html)
Workshops (http://www.ad-astra.org/Workshops-Masq.html)
You may recognize some of the panelists...

Vicky
03-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the links, Dani! Yeah, I think a few of them ring a bell ;)

novaraven1
03-23-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm just posting to say that yet again I will be going to AdAstra this year, like the last four years I wasn't sure until the last minute but I always end up going anyways. And again I will be dragging my anime artwork. I never have sold much at this con, it's just a very different and older audience who don't care much for my type of work.

I'm going simply on principle because passing up one of only three art shows I can afford to be in each year would be stupid.

I can't pay admission to the con, last year I volunteered and they still made me pay full price so I'm not going to the con at all this year. I can't possibly bring any costumes with me because I'm travelling by bus with my artwork and don't have any room. I'm totally there just on the off chance people will wander into the art room who like anime fanart.

I'm sure a lot of people have a very good time at this con with their friends. None of mine are going because it's simply far too expensive. We're all saving our pennies for Anime North.

So if anyone happens to see me sitting around the lobby all weekend looking depressed, don't be alarmed, it's just what I do at this con. ^^

Chanilye
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi noraraven,

I just want to clear something up in case it means you can get a discount for Ad Astra. Do you mean that you volunteered in 2005 and didn't get a discount that year, or do you mean that you volunteered in 2004 and didn't get a discount for 2005? At Ad Astra volunteers who meet the minimum number of hours get a discount for the next year's convention. So if you worked your hours in 2005 and did enough hours to get the discount you would qualify for the discount this year (2006). Er, I hope that makes sense.

If you qualified last year from volunteer work done in 2004 and didn't get the discount at the door in 2005, I can ask if there's any way that we can carry over your discount for this year. I can't make promises since it's not my call to make, but it's not going to hurt to ask. If you don't want me to do this that's cool too.

In any case I hope you have better luck selling your work this year. :) And there's always the 2 hour free period in the Saturday from 11am to 1 pm where you can attend things even without a pass.

I'm just posting to say that yet again I will be going to AdAstra this year, like the last four years I wasn't sure until the last minute but I always end up going anyways. And again I will be dragging my anime artwork. I never have sold much at this con, it's just a very different and older audience who don't care much for my type of work.

I'm going simply on principle because passing up one of only three art shows I can afford to be in each year would be stupid.

I can't pay admission to the con, last year I volunteered and they still made me pay full price so I'm not going to the con at all this year. I can't possibly bring any costumes with me because I'm travelling by bus with my artwork and don't have any room. I'm totally there just on the off chance people will wander into the art room who like anime fanart.

I'm sure a lot of people have a very good time at this con with their friends. None of mine are going because it's simply far too expensive. We're all saving our pennies for Anime North.

So if anyone happens to see me sitting around the lobby all weekend looking depressed, don't be alarmed, it's just what I do at this con. ^^

novaraven1
03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm going to be dumb and ask you what the discount would be.

Something like 5$ off is not going to help me. I still can barely afford my bus ticket just to get to this thing and I know I'll be living off granola bars until monday when I can get a bus home. ^^;

Yes I volunteered last year. I do every year, especially helping with art show set up and people loading stuff in and out of the small dealers room. But I doubt I worked more than ten hours and last year was the first one I even heard of hour sheets and anyone keeping track of that stuff. I remember them making us fill the sheets out last year, the guy was a bit nazi-ish about it.

**Thanks for thinking of me but it's really ok! ^^ I don't need to see anything. It's a very nice small con, it reminds me a little of mtac only with better panels and no voice actors, and more flea market type stuff in the little dealers room. (It's also three times the price of mtac) I've been to it before so it's not really that interesting anymore. Same panels, same stuff, same older creepy guys staring at me like I'm a different species because I happen to have blue hair and a school girl anime costume (with a knee length skirt, not "that" kind of school girl). ;P

In my personal opinion which probably goes against what everyone else has ever experienced at this con it's not my fav event. I've never had much fun there even when I did see everything because none of my friends ever come. We're all poor otaku and can't afford this one and I personally find it extreemely dull sitting through endless panels. I'm also not the most social person, I don't make new friends easily and I don't enjoy talking to strangers at all.

Last year I just waited around all weekend for the boredom I paid 65$ for to end. I kept wishing they held it at a different hotel that was near a mall or something so I could leave and go shopping cause I'd already seen what they were playing in the anime room. ><

Thank-you again for trying to help me out, but I'm fine being left alone with my angst. Maybe it will improve my art work!

Chanilye
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Anime North has generously donated two memberships to Ad Astra. These memberships will be used as masquerade prizes, on top of the guaranteed place in the Anime North masquerade that Kaijugal and Stillvisions have arranged.

Chanilye
03-28-2006, 08:54 AM
The Ad Astra 2006 programming schedule is now available on our web site at www.ad-astra.org

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sarcasm-hime
03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
If you find that the AA crowd isn't into your style of artwork, and you dislike the con on principle......why are you going?

heki-chan
03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
While there is nothing wrong with thinking an event is boring etc etc, it is not necessary to:

A) force yourself to go, regardless of your stated opinon
or
B) repeatedly voice said opinion, if you are going, great hope to see you there; if not, see you at AN.

I just don't feel this thread needs more repetitive postings. Thanks.

MaiSheri
03-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I know this is going to be a stupid question, but my original costume plans haven't worked out (supplies ordered online have not arrived yet T_T) so I was going to go with my (admittedly over-worn) Rabi-en-Rose costume. While I don't think it is much more revealing than many Lolita costumes, remembering Amy's comment made me a little nervous, and I just wanted to make sure I won't be shunned or feel uncomfortable....

So what's the situation with "revealing" costumes, and would my Rabi-en-Rose be considered too revealing for the AdAstra crowd?

Sarcasm-hime
03-29-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't think Rabi-en-Rose would be too revealing for AA. It's not like it's a bikini or anything. *shrug*

Chanilye
03-30-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't think that the costume is too revealing, and you won't be shunned. If you've worn it elsewhere and been comfortable you should be ok.

People in costume will generally tend to get more attention in a sense at Ad Astra compared to an Anime event just because less people cosplay there (although we've seen more people in costume in the past couple of years). People may notice you more, ask you for photos or compliment you on your costume. They may ask where it's from or who you're dressed as if they don't recognize it.

That being said, just like at any event, one bad apple can seem to spoil the whole bunch. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable, or acting inappropriately please let someone know, whether it be someone on the Committee, Security or even someone you know is a panelist or regular. Committee members like myself, Kaijugal and Elemental will have red ribbons on our badges. We can't help if we don't know there's a problem and often the person involved may not even realize that they're offending someone.

I know this is going to be a stupid question, but my original costume plans haven't worked out (supplies ordered online have not arrived yet T_T) so I was going to go with my (admittedly over-worn) Rabi-en-Rose costume. While I don't think it is much more revealing than many Lolita costumes, remembering Amy's comment made me a little nervous, and I just wanted to make sure I won't be shunned or feel uncomfortable....

So what's the situation with "revealing" costumes, and would my Rabi-en-Rose be considered too revealing for the AdAstra crowd?

MaiSheri
03-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Thank you Chanilye and Sarcasm-hime - my mind has been put at ease ^_^

Kaijugal
03-30-2006, 02:45 PM
I know this is going to be a stupid question, but my original costume plans haven't worked out (supplies ordered online have not arrived yet T_T) so I was going to go with my (admittedly over-worn) Rabi-en-Rose costume.

I love your Rabbien-Rose costume. ^_^ I think you should definately wear it.

We're having a lolita style party on friday night, so if anyone is going to be there please do come up. :) (FibreFantasyArtists, the Costumers Suite).

----------------

Noraven1, I'm not sure why you didn't get whatever was owed you as a volunteer. You must be more insistant next time. Endless panels may bore you, but perhaps there are one or two this year that you might find interesting.

I hope you manage to have a little fun eh?

Cheers!

Bear_
03-30-2006, 11:29 PM
It was mentioned to me that each year there seems to be more people cosplaying.

Just so you know - I've specifically made it a point of making sure there's J-pop in the mix this year for the dance. "Ultra Relax" & "Love Tropicana" are two that come to mind off the top of my head, but there are more.

Elemental
04-02-2006, 09:18 PM
The masquerade was a smashiong success, and I want to thank everyone who entered! I wouldn't HAVE a masq without you guys!

I'll have the list of winners up tomorrow, but for tonight, I sleep!

Pompeii
04-02-2006, 10:19 PM
The masquerade was a smashiong success, and I want to thank everyone who entered! I wouldn't HAVE a masq without you guys!

I'll have the list of winners up tomorrow, but for tonight, I sleep!

We were happy to help sir!!! Thank you for the Rocket btw, they make me happy ^^

You did an amazing job of the masquerade and we would've started on time if it weren't for the people before! XD

<333

MaiSheri
04-02-2006, 10:31 PM
I had an absolute ball, and so "thank you!!!" to everyone there who made it so fun ^_^ I will definitely go again next year!!! It was awesome getting to meet so many of you (and get to know a little better those of you who I'd met already), so hopefully I'll be seeing more of everyone at AN and FXC.

I only wish I had been able to be there today, but lack of proper sleep makes me an ill little bunny, so I had to stay in bed :bigcry:

In any case, I hope everyone else has as good a time as I did, and Elemental, you and your team did a super job with the masquerade.:toothy:

Marianne Solav
04-03-2006, 12:00 AM
It was my first time at Ad-Astra and I had a great time, even if I was only there for saturday! I'll probably go next year and try to stay for the whole week-end.

I've put my pictures online:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Ad-Astra%2025/

mellowunicorn, there's an adorable picture of you in the masquerade. :)

I didn't take many pics, but if any of you recognize yourself and want a full size copy or for me to take it down, tell me.

dani
04-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Kudos indeed to all organizers and volunteers. Everything happened according to plan and everybody had a great time. (I know I did (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=645821)).
Special thanks to the poor souls who made the effort to wake up incredibly early on saturday, just to attend my panel at the ungodly hour of 10am. Panels that early should be illegal :)

Sarcasm-hime
04-03-2006, 01:27 AM
I concur re: 10am panels. :P

I also had a great time despite feeling somewhat foolish (got begged to beef up the masquerade despite not having a competition-worthy costume, but it was all fun) and got to have Leeloo feed me cheesecake. XDXD

shiro_hikaru
04-03-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm really saddened by the fact that I couldn't make it, it sounded like great fun.

MaiSheri
04-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Marianne, I can't seem to get into your Ad-Astra album, all I can see is a blank, white page :(

It was my first time at Ad-Astra and I had a great time, even if I was only there for saturday! I'll probably go next year and try to stay for the whole week-end.

I've put my pictures online:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Ad-Astra%2025/

mellowunicorn, there's an adorable picture of you in the masquerade. :)

I didn't take many pics, but if any of you recognize yourself and want a full size copy or for me to take it down, tell me.

Marianne Solav
04-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Sometime there are bugs with photobucket, but it may work if you hit refresh. :(

Here is the link to the main page, just click on Ad-Astra:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/

or direct link to the picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Marianne_Solav/Ad-Astra%2025/rabienrose2aa25.jpg

MaiSheri
04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Maybe there's a problem with some setting on my computer, I can see all you other galleries, just not Ad Astra LOL ^_^ I swear I'll see it somehow!
*runs off to try housemates' computers*

heki-chan
04-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Was anyone else super amused by the slime blobs? *_*

stillvisions
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I had a great time at Ad-Astra - it's always fun to hang out with old friends and meet new ones, besides all the panels and the usual mayhem that the masq brings.

I'll have pics posted in the pic thread in a few days - I've got a bunch to sift through but the keepers should be good. Kudos to the folks that made things run smoothly...

archangeli
04-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Was anyone else super amused by the slime blobs? *_*

slime blobs? :reverse:

do you mean the tribbles (fuzzy brown things)? they are an OLD star trek joke ^__^

mellowunicorn - your rabien rose costume was so cute. congrats on your well deserved award. i wish i had read these boards before i went since i was sitting next to you in the masquerade green room (yay den 5!)

as always good to see everyone again - kaijugal, sarcasm-hime, ikegami (gloomy!! *poke*), stillvisions, squall1882, cynn.

Elemental - thanks for a GREAT masquerade

Oselle - sorry for being a moron and not remember what division i wrote on my form :schitzo:

i'll have photos up soon ^__^ i want to get some full body shots of my Yűko costume first... :eek:

Chanilye
04-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks to everyone who came out. It was great to see old friends and new faces. And everyone was so supportive of me when I was dressed in my Queen of Hearts lolita costume for the Friday Chocolate Fantasy party. It's rare for me to be the one in costume, instead of just holding a costumer friend's purse or ninjaing and I felt very excepted and comfortable.

If there were things you really liked this year, or things you think we need to improve please let me know. I know there's started a big discussion on the Ad Astra LJ about the photo area and how to take it from drab to fab ;) It's great when we can take a problem and have many people working on fixing it so everyone benefits.

Ad Astra definately benefits from the fun and energy that all the costumers bring. Many people told me how this year had been the most fun they'd had at Ad Astra for a long time!

Kaijugal
04-05-2006, 03:56 PM
There you are Chanilye http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/hico1967/AdAstra%2006/Friday/IMG_3363.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/hico1967/AdAstra%2006/Friday/IMG_3363.jpg)

XD You should make a cosplay.com avatar for yourself now. :)

As for "slime blobs", did you mean the projected background at the Masq Heki? I thought it looked kind of cool, but it also distracted from the costumes and made them turn silly colours. ^_^; I understand that we came directly after the Nash the Slash concert though, so they were already in place. :) It's okay. Something different was fun. Everyone looked fantastic.