PDA

View Full Version : What is your B-E-L

Efecss
12-01-2005, 09:08 PM
What is your Basic Equipment List?

What do you was a photographer find that you basically need to take with you on a shoot, for a convention, or just funnin'?.

As an example, I find I need these:

-My Pentax SLR with basic lense.
-My 70 to 150 zoom lense (Which I hardly use, but nice to have.)
-My Slik tripod
-My Slik monopod
-Atleast 9 rolls of film, asa 400, 2 rolls asa 100
-Flash
-Atleast one change of batteries for flash, per day
-my fanny pack or my film belt case to carry film.

I am working on a small room/studio kit. But I need to save for lights.

Joe

Captain Gundam
12-01-2005, 11:24 PM
My:
kodak 4 mega pixel camera (with memory card inside)
4 rechargable batteries

that's it.

stefaniecat
12-02-2005, 01:04 AM
AX this year was just my camera (Digital Rebel) with fully charged battery pack and my 18-55 lens, and my business cards with contact info just in case I needed them. I kept the tripod and the longer lense in the car in case I decided I needed it, along with my card reader (not that I had a computer with me), instruction manual, and battery charger for my camera battery...

Eventual equipment list will include: spare battery (fully charged), possible spare memory card, external flash and diffuser stuff. Of course, I don't necessarly plan to haul that around the convention the whole time...

Cicada
12-02-2005, 01:38 AM
-Nikon D70s [Primary Camera, 70-200 f/2.8 VR mounted, ReallyRightStuff L-Plate and B-87B Flash Bracket, SB-800 Flash]
-Nikon D70 [Backup/Secondary Camera with 24-120VR mounted, RRS L-Plate to switch flash bracket and flash over if i need it]
-4x 1GB SanDisk Ultra II CF Cards
-Monopod
-50mm f/1.8
-Filters, Diffuser, Spare Batteries...

i pretty much take everythign with me to shoots. I dont like tripods because its a pain to carry, even on my Lowepro camera backpack, so i mostly do the monopod if i have to -- thats why i love VR lenses, i can do most of my shooting handheld.

but for just walking around, its just the D70s with the 24-120 mounted. I recently sold my kit lens [18-70 DX Nikkor] and my 28-200 Nikkor, so i think, with that ill get what's next on my wish list: 10.5mm DX Fisheye..

then i think im pretty much set with lenses for a good long while.

Ami Yuy
12-02-2005, 01:40 AM
- Camera: Nikon Coolpix 8700 (8 megapixel, D-SLR-like)
- 2 batteries
- 2 memory cards (1 GB, 256 MB)
- Battery charger (with AC converter in car)

If staying at con:
- Laptop to dump photos onto
- Tripod
- Reflective paper for photoshoots

jtnishi
12-02-2005, 09:34 AM
* Digital Rebel XT (w/spare battery & relevant charger)
* Tamron 28-75/2.8 (primary walkaround lens)
* 2GB 50x CF Card, plus 1GB, 512MB, 256MB in reserve
* 1 laptop for offloading, with CF Card Reader, for any trip lasting over about 8 hours.

The extended list gets a little more complex, once I start throwing in things like a telephoto lens, external flash, 50mm low light lens, 18-55mm kit, and lensbaby in there. But frankly, the above works for me for about 90-95% of all the shots I worry about, and if I forgot everything else at home and just carried that, I'd probably still do just fine.

Super No 1
12-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I bring everything but the kitchen sink.

-Nikon D70
-Nikon 18-70mm/f3.5-4.5
-Nikon 50mm/f1.4
-Nikon 80-200mm/f2.8
-Tokina 28-70mm/f2.8
-Nikon SB-800 flash
-Custom Brackets QRS-35 flash bracket
-3 1GB CF cards
-Nikon MSV-01 photo storage device
-2 Nikon EN-EL3 camera batteries + charger
-4 sets of rechargable AA batteries + charger

There's also a bunch of support items (cleaners, bags, lens pouches, belts). What I choose to carry with me depends on what I'm shooting. Masquerades don't require as much equipment as hall cosplay shooting. I just like to be prepared for anything. I also find that a set of hard knee pads is very good to have.

The Lord XL
12-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Hum.. lets see...

-My Canon 20D. I named her La Luna.
-My Fuji Finepix from several years ago for snapshots. I named her Diana. Anyone want to guess my cat's name? lol
-1GB Compact Flash for the 20D
-256MB and a 128MB XD card for the finepix
-Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6
-Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II
-Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III
-Canon Speedlite 420EX
-Two 7.4V Li-ion Batteries for the 20D
-AA batteries for the finepix and flash
-Laptop to unload
-And my school ID card to reflect the light from the flash ^_^

On top of that, I have my pouches, minor gadgets, accessories, cleaners. Yadda yadda yadda...

And it is growing.

Efecss
12-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Well, since we are getting technical.

I do have a UV filter on my lense to kind of loose the harshness of floursecent lights when applicable. And smooth out sunlight (That's what my instructor said.)

I also have a polarized filter, but I rarely use it at conventions, because I forget to take it off, and if I use it indoors, it really darkens the picture.

Shiro MS08th
12-04-2005, 03:07 AM
1) Nikon D70
2) AF 85mm f/1.8D
3) AF 50mm f/1.8D
4) AIS 135mm f/2.8
5) AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5
6) SB800
7) 1gb CF card
8) 1 X Nikon EN-EL3, 1 X 3rd party EN-EL3.
9) 10 X AA rechargable batteries
10) Omnibounce diffuser

shiroin
12-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Nikon FM10 Full Manual Film Camera + 50mm f/1.8 Lens + ISO 400 Black and White Film

Well.... Not really.... its just a camera that I borrowed recently because I want to play with both spectrums of cameras; however, I will carry it out as a secondary or a third when I go out and shoot for a convention.

I am actually starting to love black and white because I do not have to worry much of the background's confusing colors anymore!

But anyways, what I have right now as my primary camera is a Nikon D70s + 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5
I also have a 70-300mm F/4-5.6 but its crappy quality just makes me want to throw it away.

Items on the wishlist are (In the order of importance):
One or Two SB-800
Nikon Close Up Speed Light Kit R1C1
Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
A Nikon D2X or D200 Body (If possible...:p)
Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Macro

For your information I plan to do photography as a profession or atleast a semi-profession. All the excessive flashes are for the purpose of a studio ^^

I want to goto a photography school but it is unacceptable for my asian parents. Right now my only hope is the pending Columbia early decision application: if I get in then I will take photography courses at Parsons.

Cynthia
12-05-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm getting a Canon SLR Digital Rebel soon. Right now I just have a p & s Canon with a standard lens and a long lens (all of it is nice, but I'm going to sell the body and keep the lens for my digital after I make certain that they're compatible).

I normally just bring my camera to con, and if I feel inclined to shoot something I do, but I'm often more the one "getting my picture taken" than the other way around.

I do own an adjustable tripod. I might start doing "photoshoots" at the next con I go to.

Ami Yuy
12-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm getting a Canon SLR Digital Rebel soon. Right now I just have a p & s Canon with a standard lens and a long lens (all of it is nice, but I'm going to sell the body and keep the lens for my digital after I make certain that they're compatible).

I found this article (http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/) that might be useful for you. Dunno if it's applicable to your situation or not, but anyway...

Cynthia
12-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I found this article (http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/) that might be useful for you. Dunno if it's applicable to your situation or not, but anyway...

Thanks. It's a good article, but it seems to mainly focus on either non-canon lens or canon lens that aren't autofocus. I'm not worried, if worse comes to worse, I'll just email them about it.

jtnishi
12-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks. It's a good article, but it seems to mainly focus on either non-canon lens or canon lens that aren't autofocus. I'm not worried, if worse comes to worse, I'll just email them about it.
That's because all the Canon 35mm autofocus lenses, if I remember correctly, are from the Canon EF mount line, which are compatible with the Digital Rebel line pretty much completely. And since you said P&S (Point-and-Shoot), you presumably have Canon autofocus lenses on your canon camera, so you should actually be okay.

Admin
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
I used to carry a ton of crap with me, now I find I have more fun just taking my Canon 1Ds, a 35/1.4 and a 85/1.2 (also a 135/2 if I'm doing a LOT of pics in a shoot). Two CF cards and a portable hard drive (one CF shooting in the camera, one CF downloading to the hard drive), and I'm set. Oh and lots of batteries. I'll bring a 550EX flash if I know I'm shooting indoors.

Efecss
12-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Got to admit, that this is getting interesting.

The limits we need, and what we will take.

didjiman
12-07-2005, 04:44 AM
Leica M7 w/ 50/1.4ASPH, Tri X @800
Epson R-D1 w/ 35/1.4ASPH, for color photos
90/2 AA in pocket
swap lens as needed
no flash
no tripod

staereo
12-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Im a little confused here. An slr is commonly an interchangable lens system. A point and shoot is commonly a fixed lens system.

Are we discussing add on tele converters that you had for the point and shoot?

The canon eos series of digital cameras uses the canon EF lens line, which is SLR interchangable autofocus lenses for the canons. A teleconverter for this type of camera would screw in between the lens and the body, where as a teleconverter for a point and shoot typically just slides over the fixed lens.

I could be way off base, but I would hate for you to think somethings compatable when its not.

Some of the APS-c sensor cameras are compatable with the EF-S line, specifically for digital cameras.

But without doing any research, I will openly admit Im a little boggled by the term point and shoot being coupled with interchangable canon lenses. I wasn't at this point aware canon offered a non dslr point and shoot compatable with interchangable lenses.

So... Maybe Im behind the times, or maybe we're talking about slip on converters that point and shoots use to modify the zoom or angle of view.

If this is the case, your quality teleconverters are going to be screwed on, as i said above, between your lens and body now. So even if canon made a camera with a lens diameter that matched your average lens, y ou'd only be able to use it on some lenses that matched thaqt diameter, and the quality would be lost in the converter without using the proper in line teleconverters.

I hope I helped,
Bruce

tfcreate
12-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Depends on the shoot and the conditions.
TFC

Faux
12-09-2005, 01:02 AM
-Minolta 100x
-55mm and 120mm lenses
-Whatever film I can get my hands on

Yeah, I'm a minimalist. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes not.

Cynthia
12-09-2005, 11:28 PM
That's because all the Canon 35mm autofocus lenses, if I remember correctly, are from the Canon EF mount line, which are compatible with the Digital Rebel line pretty much completely. And since you said P&S (Point-and-Shoot), you presumably have Canon autofocus lenses on your canon camera, so you should actually be okay.

Yeah, I caught this on their FAQ for the Digital Rebel on their site--I completely breezed by it the first time :geek: .

It was nice to know though that they as a manufacturer attempted to answer all the questions they could muster about the product in a concise and orderly fashion. I often find it incredibly tedious when I have to do additional, hard-nosed research on something because the maker doesn't want to answer questions about the product.

Cicada
12-17-2005, 01:27 PM
For your information I plan to do photography as a profession or atleast a semi-profession. All the excessive flashes are for the purpose of a studio ^^

i REALLY want somne alienbees.

Lethardicus
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
sony DSC-72
1gb mem stick duo
512mb mem stick duo
1 duo to mem stick converter
6 AA batteries

im a bit new =P