PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts II Cosplay Assistance (Brave Mode/Valor Form Sora)

Kenesu
12-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Hey all I was wondering if I could get some assistance on how I should go about creating this costume. For all who don't know what Brave Mode/Valor form Sora looks like here are some pictures I managed to find from various websites.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/kenesu/Kingdom%20Hearts/bfart2qu.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/kenesu/Kingdom%20Hearts/kh217.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/kenesu/Kingdom%20Hearts/kh2030.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/kenesu/Kingdom%20Hearts/kh2042.jpg

I'm not going to lie... this is a very difficult costume to make, but I am 100% determinted to complete this costume by the spring. There are just a few things i'm lost on to try and make this costume work. Below I divided up the costume and asked certain questions about certain different parts of the costume.

Questions about the shorts:

-What material would you use to make the shorts?
-How about the symbols that are placed over the shorts? What would be a smart choice on how to make those?
-The red bags that are at the side of Sora did would you make or buy those?
-Where would I go about purchasing those belts that are wrapped around Sora?
-Are they possible to make if so what material would be best?
Personally I was thinking about buying shorts and just modifing it. Add on the belts, symbols, etc.

Questions about the top:

-How did you or would you go about making the top?
Personally for the red coat thing I was thinking about purchasing something like Sora's coat and modifing it by adding all the symbols, patterns, and belts.
-Would that be a good idea?
-What is Sora wearing underneath the coat? Is it like a special kind of shirt of some sort?
-Is the black shirt underneath connected to the bottom part of the costume?
-Where is a good place to purchase the necklace that Sora has around his neck?

For the shoes I was thinking about purchasing clown shoes and just coloring that over. I'm not sure about how I would go about attaching the buckles on, but currently i'm just focused on making the main costume first and worrying about the add-ons, shoes and gloves, later.

Thank you all for the tips and help on this costume and i'm sure to post pictures of when I finish. Thanks again!

Tenebrae
12-04-2005, 02:36 PM
*shakes her fist at Square-Enix and YET ANOTHER DELAY in the US release of KH2*

Questions about the shorts:

-What material would you use to make the shorts?
I'd go with cotton twill. It would make sense to use it because it would be a good choice for his hoodie as well.

-How about the symbols that are placed over the shorts? What would be a smart choice on how to make those?
I'm terrible with regards to applique advice. Best wait for somebody else to comment on these. They do look like they're made of the same material as the rest of the outfit, though, so you could go with cotton twill appliques and fusable iron-on interfacing to attach them, maybe? I dunno.

-The red bags that are at the side of Sora did would you make or buy those?
Definitely make them. Again, you've got your reddish cotton twill.

-Where would I go about purchasing those belts that are wrapped around Sora?
-Are they possible to make if so what material would be best?
You know, in the concept art they almost look like rubber strapping that you'd find in a hardware store. That might be a good place to look. You'd want something smooth and sturdy for those. If you can't find the rubber strapping or if it's too hard to work with (probably would be), then look around for some vinyl strapping instead. You might have to look in with ribbons or in upholstery stores.

-Personally I was thinking about buying shorts and just modifing it. Add on the belts, symbols, etc.
I think it might be a bad idea to buy the shorts because it would be harder to match the material to use for the top and the rest of the costume (see above with regards to the material).

Questions about the top:

-How did you or would you go about making the top?
Hoodie/yoga jacket pattern modified to have short sleeves and a big heavy upholstery-style zipper up front.

-What is Sora wearing underneath the coat? Is it like a special kind of shirt of some sort?
You mean the red hood part or the black V-neck part?
I think the hood is attached to his jacket and the black V-neck part is like a V-necked tank top.
*pumps up the contrast/brightness on her work monitor*
Oh...wait. Holy...! Uh, see below.

-Is the black shirt underneath connected to the bottom part of the costume?
Hm. Wait.
Now that I look at it, it looks like he's not wearing shorts at all! My monitor here at work is TERRIBLE, so I'll have to double-check at home...
It looks like his shorts are actually...CHAPS! The straps serve to hold them on. I didn't even see the straps crossing in front at first.
And he's wearing like a black tank top and pair of baggy elastic-kneed shorts under it!
What the...and now I see there's a front pocket thing that's popping out that wraps around his waist...
I think I'm inclined to say that's part of the black V-necked tank top underneath.
Although I see two hoods at the top, so the front pockets could be part of another underjacket that we can't see that's sprouting a black hood at the top....but that seems a bit excessive.

-Where is a good place to purchase the necklace that Sora has around his neck?
Not sure. I've seen a few cosplayers around with them. Ask in the props forum for help with making the necklace, or check out some of the cosplay supply stores and commissioners.
If I were going to make it myself, I'd probably try to get a piece of aluminium from the hardware store to cut out into the crown shape and then get some plastic chain from a craft store either already silver or spray paint it silver.

-For the shoes I was thinking about purchasing clown shoes and just coloring that over. I'm not sure about how I would go about attaching the buckles on, but currently i'm just focused on making the main costume first and worrying about the add-ons, shoes and gloves, later.
There are a couple threads around regarding the KH clown shoes. I've seen clown shoes for sale, but I've also seen some very cute shoes made by people on cosplay.com...the straps probably help keep the honkin' great things on his feet. ;)

Wow. This is a lot of stuff.
Hope it's formatted easy enough to read!

-Tenebrae.

Kenesu
12-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh man... thank you so much for commenting! I apologize if some of the things I expalined about the costume were confusing, but thank you so much. This will deffa help me.

Tenebrae
12-04-2005, 06:49 PM
No problem.
I just looked at this on my good monitor at home and yeah, those look like chaps.
Also, the fleur-de-lis patterns on the front look like separate pieces as well. You will still probably want to iron on some interfacing to the back to stiffen them and maybe still iron them onto the "chaps".
You might find this useful for the gloves:
http://www.thegreenpepper.com/packs.html
They have a fingerless glove pattern. I think that's what a lot of the Narutards use that make their own "ninja" gloves.

-Tenebrae.

RogueMimzy
12-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Firstly, may I just say that you are completely amazing for being determined to do this well :love: awesome! bext of luck with this...I'm a total n00b cosplayer, so no tips from me, sorry T.T

Post lots of pictures!!!!!

~Shinju-san

Kenesu
12-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Haha. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm actually going shopping this weekend for the fabric and such. I want this thing done as soon as possible!

IchiHaneTenshi
12-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Oh and as for misc things you might need, try thrift shops, they tend to sell alot of things that can be edited ^_^