PDA

View Full Version : Nausicaa cosplay

Tazraelindae
12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
okay, first off, how many here have read hayao miyazaki's nausicaa? ok, good. i'm making a costume for Namulith, the Dorok Emperor, and i'm having some trouble with two things. first off, the picture i'm basing off of is on the bottom of page 16 in book 3 (perfect collection). i need some ideas as for making the helmet, and also, what kind of fabric (type, print) to use for the robe itself. i'm thinking some type of fur, but how to get the pattern on? also, if anyone knows a good way to make plate gauntlets, without resorting to PVC piping, you would be my personal god.

astillar
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Hmm. Interesting choice of character. I'm curious about why you want to use fur for his outfit. I mean, it's got sparkles on it, implying that it's shiny and smooth, like some sort of leather or metallic material. I'm guessing that whatever material you use, you'll have to draw or paint the pattern on. The conical helmet looks like it'll be a pain in the butt, I can't think of any material that you could use that wouldn't leave a seam somewhere, short of fiberglass, but I bet you don't want to use that. For the gauntlets . . . mm, I've been having lots of success with expanded pvc, which is a lot lighter and easier to shape than regular pvc (and sturdier than polystyrene), but you'd probably have to buy a whole sheet to get some. Failing that, you might wanna try craft foam instead. And if you wait another ten seconds, I'm sure someone will blindly recommend wonderflex.

Tazraelindae
12-07-2005, 12:48 PM
i'm thinking a short fur because the he seems very full of himself and his position, and he would try to look very regal. also, i think most of what's sparkling on his outfit is the armor plates on his shoulders as well as his jewelled/gold woven belt. also, how much would a sheet of expanded pvc cost?

FlowerOfThCourt
12-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Nausicaa cosplay? *glomps* Well good luck with it!

Annie-Mei
12-07-2005, 05:09 PM
reference images?

astillar
12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
An 8' x 4' sheet of 1/8" xpvc cost me $24 plus tax. Of course, not everyone has a local plastics supplier. All you need to work with the stuff is a razor blade and heat gun or heatstrip (or blowtorch if you're real ballsy). The only thing about xpvc is that it's not perfectly smooth like styrene. XPVC's got a fine texture that gives it a matte finish. The closest comparison I can think of off the top of my head would be a typical formica countertop. Very smooth, but not _perfectly_ smooth. Normally I wouldn't even mention this, but you are making the armor of an emperor, so you might want to go for that perfect finish. But if you do have a local plastic supplier, take a look at their inventory. You'd be surprised at what they have.
So yeah, it looks like you're right about the source of the glitter. But that pattern is just weird . . . you'll have to make it yourself. And coloring stripes into fur, ugh, that sounds like a big chore.

astillar
12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Quick reference pic:

http://www.geocities.com/buick_roadmaster/PC070009.JPG

Annie-Mei
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
okay, first off, how many here have read hayao miyazaki's nausicaa? ok, good. i'm making a costume for Namulith, the Dorok Emperor, and i'm having some trouble with two things. first off, the picture i'm basing off of is on the bottom of page 16 in book 3 (perfect collection). i need some ideas as for making the helmet, and also, what kind of fabric (type, print) to use for the robe itself. i'm thinking some type of fur, but how to get the pattern on? also, if anyone knows a good way to make plate gauntlets, without resorting to PVC piping, you would be my personal god.

You can actually find "tiger" striped material (in fur, or plain material). Might be a "specialty" fabric but they do exist to do the robe.
For the armor:
Wonderflex of craft foam.