PDA

View Full Version : Is December a Good/Bad time for Conventions?


Chisau
12-07-2005, 05:58 PM
ok, we all know that con-no-baka was a failuer. However, does that mean december or winter season in general is a bad time to host an anime convention?? What if someone more organized was to host a "new" anime convention at early december, will you people not show because of con-no-baka??

Pompeii
12-07-2005, 06:44 PM
It hasn't killed it.
It just mean Con No baka is a pretty badly organised con and not everyone can say "I wanna do an anime convention" and do it then get away with it.
XD

Otaking97
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
DTAC just ended and it was fine. So there is already one convention in the December time. Also with Christmas not far away I think two would be a rather poor idea.

Pompeii
12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
DTAC just ended and it was fine. So there is already one convention in the December time. Also with Christmas not far away I think two would be a rather poor idea.
I agree
Not alot of people have that much money for 2 cons and then X-mas since we all know presents usually are given out
X_X
I'm totally broke and I'm making everyone hats XD

heki-chan
12-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Con no Baka was in November. So technically, it can't kill December even if it wanted to ;)

DTAC was kickass.

HidoshiNobunaga
12-08-2005, 01:59 AM
The whole thing about the end of year region is that two major things come into play. 1) Lots of us have finals coming up or are experiencing them by the time it's end of November/early December. 2) Holidays are coming into being, and that can mean family coming in, trips to other parts of the country (or other countries), etc.

So yeah, it's not a great season for an all-weekend con. A one/two day con like DTAC is fine though because it doesn't take up much time at all, and it's a nice break from the rush. Atop that, DTAC is especially convenient because it's 1) Central to most people in the TO area, and 2) Transit-friendly. Neither of which CnB was, in addition to being poorly planned/run. I see CnB's fundamental flaws as being 1) 3 days long, 2) Transit-hostile, and 3) Not central to most anyone. Not good things to start with when you don't have a name like Anime North. I mean, NAF may not be central, but it is in an accessible, transit-friendly area (a college has to be), and it's started small (one day). 2/3 things going right there at least.

It's not so much the time of year as the location and planning that killed CnB, so no worries.

TribalButterfly
12-10-2005, 07:35 AM
I didn't go to con no baka, but i don't think it killed anything, other than itself.
I think the dissipointment in CNB that people felt, only feuled their excitment for the GOOD cons! :)

Yunalicia
12-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Why is everyone still draggin on and on abou this Con? I understand it was a pretty rough Can but it just seems like a reason to spam up the boards. Can;t we Just ahve a general CnB thread?

Chanilye
12-11-2005, 08:57 PM
When you're in Canada having a convention in the winter can be risky because of the weather. One bad snow storm and you could be out of luck. December is usually pretty busy for people because of the holidays and people may be short on cash for the same reason. I don't think CnB really would make a big difference. Some people may be more hesitant about first time conventions in general no matter when they're held...but a lot of that will depend on how they're organized, how big they're trying to be and how much they charge.

heki-chan
12-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Just a note: I have changed the thread title as this does not really pertain to Con no Baka, but more generally, winter-conventions.

Otaking97
12-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Just a note: I have changed the thread title as this does not really pertain to Con no Baka, but more generally, winter-conventions.


Excellent work. Some people were getting confused.

bar1scorpio
12-12-2005, 04:27 AM
I'd say that December is a bad time, because most people's spare cash is going to go to Christmas shopping. Most people are going to be stressing out all month, running around like a chicken with their head cut off, and travelling to meet relatives that they hate.

That's why January is such a nice month for cons. middle of winter, you need that post-holiday release from all that stress... then boom OhayoCon, and a slew of other sci-fi & etc. cons to start out the year.

Kohana
12-12-2005, 08:47 AM
As long as I'm still in school... December cons are a little iffy for me... I've only managed to make one :( .... but I wouldnt mind a con in July I mean if CNA plans to stay in Sept for now then why not....lol

Chisau
12-13-2005, 06:32 PM
As long as I'm still in school... December cons are a little iffy for me... I've only managed to make one :( .... but I wouldnt mind a con in July I mean if CNA plans to stay in Sept for now then why not....lol


there is already 3 in July: TT, GCAF, and NAF.

Kohana
12-13-2005, 10:07 PM
there is already 3 in July: TT, GCAF, and NAF.

ya but two of them are far... and I understand that TT is more on the sci-fi side....which does not interest me at all....

heki-chan
12-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Or early August

since CN will be Sept 1-3 (i think) in 2006....

Anime Dave
12-13-2005, 11:52 PM
TT has actually been more then just sci-fi for the past number of years. We've been trying to grow beyond just Star Trek - especially with no new TV series or movies either on the air or on the way for the first time in nearly two decades.

Kohana
12-14-2005, 01:15 AM
TT has actually been more then just sci-fi for the past number of years. We've been trying to grow beyond just Star Trek - especially with no new TV series or movies either on the air or on the way for the first time in nearly two decades.

oh I see... to tell you the honest truth I have a fear of trekies... it all goes back to the dayz when there were costumed characters from the series at Wonderland... I had a tramatic run in with one... *shudders*

TribalButterfly
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
All in all i dont think december is a good time for a con. it's too cold. And with christmas coming up at the end of December, who has the extra cash to spend??? Plus between christmas shopping and all the christmas parties, you never have a free weekend, even for a con. And I wouldnt want to go out in one of my good costumes, just to freeze to death, and have my costume ruined by the ice, slush and snow.

Cosplay in my book is ment for warmer, sunny seasons.

Anime Dave
12-14-2005, 10:12 AM
oh I see... to tell you the honest truth I have a fear of trekies... it all goes back to the dayz when there were costumed characters from the series at Wonderland... I had a tramatic run in with one... *shudders*

Mmm-hmm... I understand.

And I remember the commercials when Paramount first took over Wonderland. 'Star Trek on ice'? I just didn't get it. :lost:
:)

Mekou
12-14-2005, 10:36 AM
All in all i dont think december is a good time for a con. it's too cold. And with christmas coming up at the end of December, who has the extra cash to spend??? Plus between christmas shopping and all the christmas parties, you never have a free weekend, even for a con. And I wouldnt want to go out in one of my good costumes, just to freeze to death, and have my costume ruined by the ice, slush and snow.

Cosplay in my book is ment for warmer, sunny seasons.

>> All in all i dont think december is a good time for a con. it's too cold.

That's what WARM COSTUMES are for.

>> And with christmas coming up at the end of December, who has the extra cash to spend??? Plus between christmas shopping and all the christmas parties, you never have a free weekend, even for a con.

It only seems to be you who has this problem. Most people don't have millions of friends to attend Christmas parties with and to buy gifts for. For most people here, their friends will be BE AT the con. So that's why they SAVE MONEY and MAKE TIME to go.

>> And I wouldnt want to go out in one of my good costumes, just to freeze to death, and have my costume ruined by the ice, slush and snow.

As I mentioned before, that's why people make WARMER COSTUMES. And I also repeat: CONS ARE INDOORS NOT OUTSIDE!!! If you want to spend all your time outside rolling in the slush and snow with your costume on that's your own problem. IMO, that's the only way a costume would get RUINED by the ice, slush and snow. Just walking outside isn't going to do that. You could also, I dunno, get changed AT the con?

Now please, stop going around preaching that winter is bad for cons because it's NOT. Most people here don't agree with you and are tired of your pointless posts. Thank you.

TribalButterfly
12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
>> All in all i dont think december is a good time for a con. it's too cold.

That's what WARM COSTUMES are for.

>> And with christmas coming up at the end of December, who has the extra cash to spend??? Plus between christmas shopping and all the christmas parties, you never have a free weekend, even for a con.

It only seems to be you who has this problem. Most people don't have millions of friends to attend Christmas parties with and to buy gifts for. For most people here, their friends will be BE AT the con. So that's why they SAVE MONEY and MAKE TIME to go.

>> And I wouldnt want to go out in one of my good costumes, just to freeze to death, and have my costume ruined by the ice, slush and snow.

As I mentioned before, that's why people make WARMER COSTUMES. And I also repeat: CONS ARE INDOORS NOT OUTSIDE!!! If you want to spend all your time outside rolling in the slush and snow with your costume on that's your own problem. IMO, that's the only way a costume would get RUINED by the ice, slush and snow. Just walking outside isn't going to do that. You could also, I dunno, get changed AT the con?

Now please, stop going around preaching that winter is bad for cons because it's NOT. Most people here don't agree with you and are tired of your pointless posts. Thank you.


Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that people were only allowed to have opinions that agreed with yours. :)
My Bad :p

Mekou
12-14-2005, 11:10 AM
You ARE entitled to YOUR opinion. I never said that you are wrong, but you go around preaching about it like ONLY YOU are right and everyone else is wrong. Why do you think people have become annoyed with your posts in the commissions threads???

If you have an opinion, say it once and let it be. Don't go preaching about it in every single thread.

~

On topic, Has anyone ever thought of January? That's AFTER the holiday rush and I'm sure some people would have some Christmas money to use. :3

Chibik3r0
12-14-2005, 11:54 AM
All in all i dont think december is a good time for a con. it's too cold. And with christmas coming up at the end of December, who has the extra cash to spend??? Plus between christmas shopping and all the christmas parties, you never have a free weekend, even for a con. And I wouldnt want to go out in one of my good costumes, just to freeze to death, and have my costume ruined by the ice, slush and snow.

Cosplay in my book is ment for warmer, sunny seasons.

Ohayocon is an American convention right after the new year and easily gets over 5,000 in attendance. Katsucon is right in the middle of February and gets well over 7,000 in attendance. I guess those winter cons really suck.

Most people here don't agree with you and are tired of your pointless posts. Thank you.

Agreed.

Amy the Yu
12-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that people were only allowed to have opinions that agreed with yours. :)
My Bad :pI agree with Mekou as well.

I love winter cons. >_> *been to Katsucon in February, will be going to Ohayocon this year, has been to every DTAC, NTAC and MacTAC since they started and even went to Con no Baka*

It's in the summer that my budget gets strained cause that's the "convention season" and every 2 or 3 weeks there's another convention. Even if I go nuts in winter, it pretty maxes out at one con every month and they (ie. CnB, DTAC) tend to be smaller conventions which means I can spend less to get in and for the most part, not miss anything great by taking time to commute home to save on hotel costs since I live in Toronto anyway.

And I like my warmer costumes cause they don't make me have a heat stroke as soon as change into them and I can still wear my less covering costumes cause I don't know if you usually hang around in the snow or something, but I've yet been to an anime con that took place in a building that wasn't heated. :p

Scoti
12-14-2005, 01:43 PM
(to avoid drama and getting back to the original topic)


I don’t think that any particular season is a bad time to have a con. Like Mekou said, it gives people a chance to wear warmer outfits if they plan to wonder outside. Regardless , all these events are INDOORS so what you wear isn’t really that much of an issue.


Are people broke during the Christmas season? Sure they can be! But you can be broke in June too. It all depends on your situation at that time.

Having a small Convention like DTAC isn’t a bad idea at all. Some people use the dealer’s rooms for their Christmas shopping.

xiola
12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that people were only allowed to have opinions that agreed with yours. :)
My Bad :p

it seems to me from reading your responses on practically every thread on this site, that YOU are the one with a much more narrow view of "what cosplay should be" than anyone else around here. in all your posts you end up acting like you have an entire hard-lined set of "rules" in your head about what's "allowed" to be "real" or "good" cosplay, and then, perhaps it's just your tone, but to everyone else you constantly sound like you are assuming that everyone should/does think the same. THAT's what's putting everyone off. the truth is, like any hobby, there are hundreds of ways to go about it and everyone does it for their own reasons, and they get sick of unhelpfully being told how you think you do it better in every single thread.

on another note... albeit i do happen to have 2 parties to go to but you know, in a forum full of admitted geeks you might realize how ASSUMING that everyone around here has 4 or 5 christmas parties to go to might, you know, annoy a majority of people in this demographic? ;)


as for the original topic...
personally i actually probably wouldn't go to a con in december either, but it's hardly because i'm caught up in a flurry of socializing and spending. i'm probably having to even skip that second party entirely, because it's the busiest retail season of the year and i work every weekend. ;)

i'd say potentially the another problem for many people around here would be university/college exams. they go for different lengths of time depending on the school and would leave only the last weekend before christmas, which does seem to be pushing it a bit close, becuase then a lot of students will just be going home.

then again, if i lived in toronto, maybe i would go. i'm not sure. but i really don't care about the weather, i'd change indoors like a sensible person if i wasn't wearing a warm/washable costume. (i'm not scared of cosplaying on the subway, but i'll only do it as weather allows).

but a lot of people seem ok with the idea, so it probably isn't too bad. i just wouldn't really expect a huge con, that's all. :)

Kohana
12-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Jan. does seem like a good time for a con... you know what would be cool... a con or dance for new years eve....then you could ring in the new year cosplay style!...lol

Amy the Yu
12-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Jan. does seem like a good time for a con... you know what would be cool... a con or dance for new years eve....then you could ring in the new year cosplay style!...lolI think that would be nice for the attendees, but horrible for the organizers.

Ring in the new year fully stressed out during the convention "off season" while everyone else is having fun. Ouch. X3

Otaking97
12-14-2005, 05:31 PM
A new years convention con/dance would be pretty friggin sweet.

The only fear any Winter con should have is a blizzard. If a HUGE blizzard struck I would not be able to attend a con. DTAC this past few weeks was a bit scary. I got up and it was snowing pretty good but the roads were fine. Since I live 2 hours away from the Convention Center snow is the only thing to keep me away. However I have yet to miss a Winter con due to snow. So far mother nature has been nice to us.

Personally I don't buy anyone Christmas gifts (not big on the holiday) and I skip 95% of all Christmas parties I am invited to ( I don't care for 80% of the people at them). So con me up people!

Anime Dave
12-15-2005, 12:55 AM
The only fear any Winter con should have is a blizzard. If a HUGE blizzard struck I would not be able to attend a con. DTAC this past few weeks was a bit scary. I got up and it was snowing pretty good but the roads were fine. Since I live 2 hours away from the Convention Center snow is the only thing to keep me away. However I have yet to miss a Winter con due to snow. So far mother nature has been nice to us.

Otaking, I fully agree with you. A blizzard would be a huge headache for a convention.

Next month will be 6-7 years since UTARPA had to postpone a show for two weeks due to a raging blizzard. Now, a delay of two weeks for an anime club's monthly showing with a local core attendance is one thing. A delay of two weeks - or even one week - for a winter convention in a snowbelt region with hotel space, out-of-town guests, out-of-town attendees, out-of-town staff, dealers (both in- and out-of-town), etc. can be a disaster. :mfg:

w00tastic
12-16-2005, 08:39 AM
I think a winter con would be lovely, I mean its a great time to do all your Otaku shopping needs. Like for myself, I have to go out of town to buy 95% of their gifts as all they want is anime and manga (same with myself) not to mention, It would be a good time to show off those warmer costumes! I mean not everyone wants to attend a summer con with a SUPER heavy costume that will make you sweat to death.

Unfortunatly there is no winter cons out west (Alberta area) So I'll just have to wait till they start comming out this way!