PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 3!

Shadow Lady
02-09-2003, 12:17 PM
I've been hearing alot about FF X-2 lately and its getting boring.

Personally I can't wait untill the new Silent Hill game comes out. I've seen the trailer, read descriptions, and seen pictures and I can't wait!

Anybody else even interested in the new game or am I the only Silent Hill junkie here?

Tifa
02-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Eee, Silent Hill scares me too much >< But I haven't really even heard anything about Silent Hill 3 yet.. x.x I'm stupid...

Arc_The_Lad
02-09-2003, 03:24 PM
In Silent Hill 3 you play as a girl(forgot her name) and it has the BEST graphics i have seen for PS2. I'm definatley going to try it. If its scarier than 2, i'm going to piss my pants 'cause 2 scared the sh*t out of me.

Mizuho
02-09-2003, 03:29 PM
There was something strangely captivating about Pyramid Head.

Hehe. I would flip out if I saw a Pyramid Head cosplayer at a convention. *_*

Tifa
02-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Lol, I bet my sister's gunna haunt me with it everyday until she beats it. When's it coming out?

Arc_The_Lad
02-09-2003, 03:39 PM
i think in the middle of summer, but i'm 50% sure

orochiyamazaki
02-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Silent Hill 3 is a beacon of hope in my almost entirely-abandoned game design career. The North American market pretty much killed my dreams, but when the survival horror genre (a genre I thought would have been killer since the 16-bit era) came out that was a breath of fresh air.

But, Silent Hill in general was so much better at presenting atmosphere than any of the other contenders. Sure, Biohazard, D and Clock Tower could shock you once in a while, but Silent Hill always seemed just a few steps ahead of the 'horror' curve.

Man, I'm hoping Silent Hill 3 keep up this trend with some good fear tactics. Konami's The Thing certainly was a good game, so hopefully they keep the ball rolling. One thing that I think would improve the series, is allow the gamer to control a character who's a little more compitent.

While I undertstand that it's sometimes a conscious part of the game's design, it does get frustrating sometimes in Survival Horror games when you die because the controls are weak. Come one, how many of you have died repeatedly in a Biohazard game, not because you didn't know what to do, but you couldn't get your character to do what you wanted?

I know a few people (very seasoned monster costume designers) who want to do some monsters from Silent Hill, but because of it's sleeper status, most people will just think "oh, it's a resident evil monster." Humbug.

liz-maru
02-09-2003, 08:00 PM
that game looks so good! like was looking at some ad for it and the freakin graphics look mad nice! i thought it was like real for a second! i so cant wait!

Shadow Lady
02-10-2003, 06:57 PM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/media/0,11100,561292,00.html

Has the trailers and a video preview.

I believe the game comes out during the summer. August?

I can't wait. I just beat SH2 and I'm ready for more.

Shadow Lady
02-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Mizuho
There was something strangely captivating about Pyramid Head.

Hehe. I would flip out if I saw a Pyramid Head cosplayer at a convention. *_*

Hmmmm...

I was actually thinking of making a Pyramid Head costume for Halloween. I have a thing for detail so its going to look like it just came out of the game.

I'm going to give so many kids nighmares. Hehehehehe.:D

Tifa
02-10-2003, 08:06 PM
*hides* TOO SCARY

Shadow Lady
02-10-2003, 10:56 PM
hehehehe:devil:

gunplay
08-05-2003, 05:39 PM
It comes out today ... or tommarow, whatever. I'm gonna get it. <3 The SH series.

Hibiki-chan
08-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Silent Hill 3 features a better fighting system than the previous games and better graphics (what else is new?). The story is about this girl who's celebrating his birthday on some date. While shopping in the mall however, the mall seems to dissolve into a place familiar to some of us before...

Damn. All these games, a costume, some anime DVDs, and a freaking debt to boot. This is turning out to be a great year lol

RadicalDreamer
08-05-2003, 09:10 PM
I'm waiting for the nearest EB to get the greatest hits version of SH2. I rented it once, and played it late at night... *shudder*

Arc_The_Lad
08-05-2003, 11:12 PM
eeeee, I just heard that the hospital is back, dear god no, I HATED the hospital. It was WAAAAAAY to scary, the nurses freaked me out.

RyanW
08-06-2003, 12:53 AM
The first Silent Hill game was great, but I think the second suffered from "Playstation-itis", where it takes so long to make the game that the developers start focusing on just getting a character model out the door, instead of working on the games' atmosphere as a whole.

However, I hear that 3 is going back to the demonic/psychotic appeal of number 1, so I'm excited.

RadicalDreamer
08-06-2003, 12:55 AM
The second one didn't go for psychotic/demonic so much as... Well, I dunno. It was depressing, that's for sure.

RyanW
08-06-2003, 05:26 AM
Yeah, and it didn't feature the wacky lines that made the first so endearing.

I mean seriously,

"Huh. Raaaaaaaaaadio. What's with that raaaaaaaaaadio?"

liz-maru
08-07-2003, 01:24 PM
i cant wait to get it ^^ i think im going to get it today! o_O im gonna be up all nite! woo!

Shadow Lady
08-08-2003, 01:50 AM
hehe........I forgot about this thread. :thumbsup:

I've already been playing it for a few hours. ^_^ I just got to the Hospital. Ah.....the hospital..............I hate that place. To make it worse the nurses are faster. They actually run at you and some of them have guns. GUNS! >_<

I love this game. ^_^

Hibiki-chan
08-11-2003, 01:45 AM
I just got it myself... and it's a lot creepier than both. I won't spoil it, but long-time fans of the series will encounter some unexpected surprises. >:)

hikura
08-11-2003, 10:53 PM
I have been playing some.I have to say it is nice to have the hell scared out of me.First time i went into the clothes shop and saw that monster eatting whatever it was.I was like eeeeeewwwwww.That and playing thru the demonic version fo the mall is scary.

La Hire
08-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Sh3 has been released in France since the 5 May (:-p)...

To tell you the truth....

THIS GAME IS HELL!!!!!!!!!!

Heather
08-14-2003, 01:33 AM
Son't get me wrong, SH3 rocks. But certain parts of it made me want to cry. ;-; *sniffle*

I ADORE all the characters. And now I have sudden urges to cosplay at least... all of them. LOL~ ( okay maybe not all. ;) )

gunplay
08-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Heather
Son't get me wrong ...
Son't worry, I won't. :P

I just got it and started playing it. I only play it late at night to get in "teh mood." I wish they would bring back those mannequin things. Those were scurry.

chiichan
08-14-2003, 10:45 PM
omg this game is so scary we play it late at night and its so scary...

La Hire
08-16-2003, 02:05 PM
I really love this game!My fav PS game with FFVII,Kingdom Hearts and Castlevania

RyanW
08-16-2003, 07:19 PM
My Copy arrived today. We'll see how it performs!!!!! :O

Flexei
08-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Ugh.. i HATED Silent Hill 3. I thought the plot was the worst of the 3, had the least interesting characters of the 3, definately the least scary/creepy of the 3, and it was the easiest of the 3. The combat system seems to of gotten worse, and I got really damn tired of seeing "This Door Doesn't Seem To Open" on 90% of the doors. Stupid game annoyed me to no end.. the worst "survival horror" game i've played (of course, i never played a lot of the ones i KNEW were bad).

Gotta love EB.. after beating it in two days, took it back and exchanged it for Knights of the Old Republic.

RyanW
08-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

I think it's highly possible that you may not have appreciated the intricacies of the first and second games in full detail, because if you were a big fan of Silent Hill 1, then 2 and 3 kind of fall into place as very nice addendums to very intruiging story, that is unfortunately barely touched up in in the direct fashion that many gamers today have been trained to expect. (takes breath)

I think Silent Hill 3 ranks in my "I'd spend $30" category for the tons of subtle nuances and references to the stories and characters of the past games. ("My nurse Lisa was a little wierd.." To the casual Silent Hill fan, this is because of what fate befalls Lisa. Of course, she's not referring to that at all..... ^_^)

Anyway, this game was pretty slow at first, and I've never been a fan of the "Lets show a glimpse of ugly graphics and poor lighting, because people are scared of what they can't see.". I'm also not a fan of "Spend 3 hours inside small rooms" kinds of games, like Vagrant Story, barfola. I could have done entirely without the character of Claudia, but the story of Heather and the very town of Silent Hill itself was enough to keep me going. Beyond that, I have to admit that even I found myself mesmerized with at least one of the game's visual tricks. (Has everyone seen the reversing mirror room?)

And, with 26 costumes (most of which are just shirts, a few of which are definately worth mentioning) and tons of extras to pick up after the first playthrough, I think the casual gamer would like this game, and I know the diehard silent hill fan would enjoy it for how it ties together the plot points that people not willing to think too hard about the first two games didn't understand, like what exactly Silent Hill is, and how it affects people.

I don't give a shit about spoilers, and the story of these games is immensly fun and complex, so if anyone has any confusion about any parts of the three games, please ask me and I'd love to talk about it!

Flexei
08-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

I think it's highly possible that you may not have appreciated the intricacies of the first and second games in full detail, because if you were a big fan of Silent Hill 1, then 2 and 3 kind of fall into place as very nice addendums to very intruiging story, that is unfortunately barely touched up in in the direct fashion that many gamers today have been trained to expect. (takes breath)

I think Silent Hill 3 ranks in my "I'd spend $30" category for the tons of subtle nuances and references to the stories and characters of the past games. ("My nurse Lisa was a little wierd.." To the casual Silent Hill fan, this is because of what fate befalls Lisa. Of course, she's not referring to that at all..... ^_^)

I thought those tie ins were actually really lame. It felt like the rumors of throwing Amadalla into episode 4 to MAKE them tie together better. Seemed like the game kept on poking me and saying, "See.. in case you couldn't figure it out, these games DO go together. you see? you see? You see? Do you see? You see? Do you see? But do you see? See? SEE?! DO YOU SEE!!!???" The "ins" might of made you feel clever cause you "got" them, but I found them to be very trite. Yes i got the "ins" and understood the games with no difficulty what-so-ever, but that certainly doesn't make me feel special.

gunplay
08-19-2003, 06:55 PM
I could not follow the story. :( IMO the end boss was quite lame. But I loved the game anyways.

liz-maru
08-20-2003, 04:33 PM
i know this is outta nowhere but im really enjoying the new one! ^^

Mizuho
08-21-2003, 01:40 PM
I put in a few hours of Silent Hill 3 last night, and I really think it's fantastic so far.

It's really great to play these games in the dark, late at night. As far as I'm concerned, it is the only way to thoroughly enjoy them. ^__^

liz-maru
08-21-2003, 01:44 PM
i agree!! where are you right now! im stuck in the subway -_- but i need to get a guide a think ><

Jowy
08-23-2003, 01:57 AM
I was watching my friend play this today. The walls were bleeding. That was disturbing. The game seems good, I should play it one day...

KulaDiamond
08-23-2003, 02:24 AM
I beat the game and am going for that damned UFO ending! *starts thrashing monsters with the light saber*

Yeah...after getting the light saber it's not scary ^_^V!. But damn...bloody walls were scaring me a lot and when going through the haunted house the first time....yeah..I'm weak. Shrieked there.

I played previous silent hill games and made a lot of connections to both 1 and 2 but damn.........I got so pissed at one point because of my favorite character and what happens to them ;_;.

liz-maru
08-23-2003, 08:30 AM
whoa dude o_O you get a light saber whoa niiiceee! the first time you played were you on hard or normal? im playing on normal and when i beat it i hope i get the saber! ^_-

Mappy
08-23-2003, 03:12 PM
im prolly the biggest Silent Hill 3 fan, since i got the game when it came out in Europe. Man, i m just impaitient i guess, ee. But yah the Posession ending is hillarious this time. More than 3 endings woulda been more satisfying tough

Mizuho
08-23-2003, 03:21 PM
I finished Silent Hill 3 yesterday. Wow, what a truly satisfying series. The game developers at Konami have really come a long way with effectively creating disturbing and downright nightmarish environments. The graphics and style of this latest game was truly excellent!

It took us about 7 hours to play through it, and now we want to play through it again already!

The soundtrack that comes with the game is great (track 8 is my favorite).

RadicalDreamer
08-23-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm scared to play silent hill at night. I have a very single task mind, and can suspend my disbelief indefinately. So, take those two aspects of my mind, put them in a dark room with the headphones on at night (when the more creative part of your brain takes over.) *Shudders*

KulaDiamond
08-24-2003, 03:28 AM
whoa dude o_O you get a light saber whoa niiiceee! the first time you played were you on hard or normal? im playing on normal and when i beat it i hope i get the saber! ^_-

Normal-Normal first time through. Now I'm trying to get posessed ending because I got I think the regular ending. I'm also going for UFO ending at same time so unlimited ammo and the lightsaber help greatly. It's a cool green lightsaber haha.

liz-maru
08-27-2003, 08:08 PM
whoa!! coool! i cant wait! ive really been taking my time to savor the game and i got it when it came out and ive only played like 4 hours of it! LOL! i dont wanna beat it quickly tho! YAY i wanna saber! how awesome!

RyanW
08-27-2003, 09:00 PM
I thought those tie ins were actually really lame. It felt like the rumors of throwing Amadalla into episode 4 to MAKE them tie together better. Seemed like the game kept on poking me and saying, "See.. in case you couldn't figure it out, these games DO go together. you see? you see? You see? Do you see? You see? Do you see? But do you see? See? SEE?! DO YOU SEE!!!???" The "ins" might of made you feel clever cause you "got" them, but I found them to be very trite. Yes i got the "ins" and understood the games with no difficulty what-so-ever, but that certainly doesn't make me feel special.

Yeah, that's true. I did find myself sitting around wondering why Heather was going over the old game so much. But I also liked some of the original content from the first game thrown in here or there (like that video clip) and some of the cut-scenes special if you had a SH2 save. I liked the way it tied together, because the entirety of the second game made you think the directors were on crack.

arucard
08-27-2003, 09:41 PM
how much is it. i really want to buy it but i am very low on cash. I am thinking about renting it and playing it non stop. can some please PM me the all 3 endings please

Mizuho
08-28-2003, 12:17 PM
>> The "ins" might of made you feel clever cause you "got" them, but I found them to be very trite. Yes i got the "ins" and understood the games with no difficulty what-so-ever, but that certainly doesn't make me feel special.

Are you speaking of any tie-ins specifically?

Personally, I would think that the tie-ins would certainly be more helpful than harmful-- I would definitely hesitate to call the tie-ins "trite". I know that many SH3 players hadn't played the original Silent Hill in a long time, and I would imagine that maybe they would serve to jog players' memories about the plot elements of the first game that have a place in the second one (details about Alessa, Dahlia, Samael, Harry...)

I also imagine that there are quite a few players who are not familiar with the plot of SH1 at all, and the little references to the first game are there to help them get a feel for the history of Silent Hill.

I am specifically thinking of the journal on the ground poetically summarizing the plot of SH1, Harry's diary, Harry's memos, little excerpts in books you could read, and other miscellanous details about Alessa, Samael, etc. These references aren't necessary but serve to make the game more enjoyable for people who have forgotten about the plot of or not played SH1.

Aside from that, the two stories are direct sequels of each other, so references to the first game are to be expected. I really think the developers at Konami did a great job on making this agme enjoyable for both new and old fans of Silent Hill.

As for the price: I think it's 39.99 but I could be mistaken. You can easily check the Gamestop or EB websites, or even look it up on ebay to be certain.

Blockbuster also has this new thing called a Gamer's Pass, or something... You pay $20, and for thirty days, you can take home any game and not bring it back until the thirty days are over (although you can only one game out at a time, but if you don't like it, you can bring it back and swap it for another game). You may want to look into that.