PDA

View Full Version : Wing ideas

cyankirby
02-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Ok, I'm going as Bahamut from FF10. However even though I have ideas for the wings, I haven't really tried anything yet.:eeek: Anyone have some ideas that I may have overlooked? Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Maryssa
02-09-2003, 10:06 PM
How will we know what you might have overlooked when you have not listed what you already thought of? Lets hear what you have so far.

btw... saw that bowser at otakon... quite awesome! =D

cyankirby
02-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Whoops...well, so far (sorry I didn't post this before) I'm planning on using some collapsible pipe and attaching it to a frame (kind of like a backpacking frame) then sliding some foam wing sections with holes onto it. This may or may not work but my Dad came up with the idea so I'm going with it cause mine didn't work. :)
But also any ideas would be good like maybe improvements on my own or totally new ideas. Thanks for reminding me of what I forgot. :P

Maryssa
02-10-2003, 12:55 PM
that sounds like a good idea actually. i know that the 'backpack' type nylon harness works very well for holding up wings; i know several people who have done that and I have also used that (but my dress was strapless so it didnt have the vertical pieces to it). Just keep in mind travelling when you make it... I ran into huge problems since mine we're pretty large and my dad later suggested to me how to make them collapsable (probably making them screw together at joints that you could take apart for ease in travel).

cyankirby
02-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Having them be collasible would be great; thanks for the idea! I have to travel by train to Otakon from Ma so the more travel friendly my costume can be the better. :)

Lynx
02-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Are you gonig to paint the foam sections or cover them in spandex or something? That is really really tough looking. All i have to say is good luck. I can't wait to see it!

cyankirby
02-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Not sure at this point although paint may be the way to go. I'm still working on the body at this point. I have to put on a lot of cloth covered headliner (the stuff on the inside of the car) scales on the body before I even start the wings. But thanks for the good luck cause I'm gonna need it! :p Oh, and I'll be at Otakon if you want to see me but I'll post pictures afterwards. :)

Kusanagi
02-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Look in my gallery for my Dragoon armor pics...are the wings similar to those at all?

cyankirby
02-10-2003, 07:30 PM
not really but here's a picture. Maybe it will help.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=22039&papass=&sort=1&thecat=

Menchi
02-11-2003, 10:03 PM
wow...jus wow..if that is pulled off half as good as that pic i woudl wanna shake your hand. i know that i could prolly do it but not by myself or in months...try atlest a year.

cyankirby
02-11-2003, 10:08 PM
I'm leaving 6 months so hopefully that will be enough time...

cyankirby
02-11-2003, 10:09 PM
But thank you Kusanagi. I read that you used PVC pipe and I think that might work for me... Good idea!

TsukiGuujin
02-12-2003, 02:06 PM
DUDE if you can pull this off, I will love you! *_*

I can't wait to see pics!

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

cyankirby
02-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Well I hope I can and already have it started so I think I'm doing ok! But I will certainly post pictures when I'm done.

NarniaKnight
02-12-2003, 11:38 PM
....woah....
i...i... dont know what to say.....truly this costume will be a thing to see... plez take pics...

cyankirby
02-12-2003, 11:42 PM
You bet! :D

Trooper_Trent
02-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Check out my thread, we are in the processs of designing several styles of "Working" wings
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8096

A J
02-24-2003, 09:04 PM
My wings aren't the best but they're extremely transportable which was my priority. I used fiberglass rods and the wing design is kinda like a kite, where you can put the poles in and it'll support itself with crossbeams. Then when you're done, you pull out the poles, collapse the fabric and off you go...

http://www.fleur-de-lys.net/costumes/images/jenarose10.jpg

You probably don't want something as ghetto as my wings but the idea is good place to start if you're looking for transportability. :)

-AJ

cyankirby
02-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I haven't started them yet but I'll look into every possible method when I do!