PDA

View Full Version : help with CCS battle costume

Y-lime
12-18-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm having trouble with the bow to the cape i made. It is supported somehow. I was thinking about encasing some thin wire inside the bow to keep it up, but i was wondering if there were any other ideas that people had?

Pazuzu
12-18-2005, 10:19 AM
If you cover the back with red fabric too, you could line it with interfacing...?

Tenebrae
12-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Yeah, interfacing sounds good.
I was going to suggest a wired ribbon. This time of year, you might be able to find large red velvet ribbons or very wide red wired velvet. It's a thought if the interfacing doesn't work out.

-Tenebrae.

Laurelin
12-18-2005, 01:22 PM
If you can't find ready-made wired ribbon you could always make your own like you said, just encase it in a narrow hem on either side. Make sure to use a wire that won't rust though, and will bend enough but keep its shape! Interfacing is probably the easiest way to go, double up the fabric and use loads of iron-on interfacing between cos it'll give a smoother overall look (be careful with iron-on if its satin though).

ll blackat ll
12-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I am pretty sure that it wouldn't be too hard to find ready-made wired ribbon during the holidays. But, such things are very easy to encase...I had to do it myself one time with angel wings....

purplevix
12-20-2005, 07:32 PM
I'd suggest interfacing as well, but I'd go for a certain type: craft interfacing. It's stiffer, it'll stand up and everything. If you don't want it to show on the inside, just put the interafacing on one side of two bits of fabric, but come just shy of your seam allowance. The extra thickness will make it look weird and not press right.

Also, this method looks best if you have an untied bow, that is, one you assemble that looks like a bow, not one you actually physically tie. Because too much movement might make it look all crinkly.

Good luck!

Kumi-chan
12-22-2005, 09:15 PM
I'd say super-stiff interfacing as well. It's what I used in my obi to keep the bow stiff, here:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=452296
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=452293

You just sew a "tube" of fabric in the color you want and insert the interfacing (in my obi, it was folded in half along its length) into the tube like a string through a bead, or like when you're threading elastic into a waistband. The trick is to measure the fabric carefully right before you sew, so the tube will be just a little wider than the interfacing, and the fabric will lie completely flat.

I've seen some extremely thick interfacing at Hancock's recently: it's as thick as felt, and I'm planning on using it to stiffen the half-moon sleeves of my Princess Tomoyo outer kimono (Tsubasa) so they'll keep their shape properly. For Sakura's bow, though, you probably don't need to go that thick.

I think using interfacing might make the cape a little easier to wash than if you used wire, as well as making it easier to iron. It held the bow shape pretty well for my obi.

Tenebrae
12-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Ah, I was assuming the bow would be removable...
That way you could still wash the cape without worrying about the bow being destroyed.

-Tenebrae.

purplevix
12-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah, then go with the interfacing and a few sew-on snaps so you can take it off.

It's a really cute costume. Good luck with it! CCS cosplayers Unite!

Y-lime
12-23-2005, 01:33 PM
oh my gosh guys you've been such great help! :bigtu:
I'm really liking the ideas you are giving me. But keep the ideas coming if you have them. I appriciate everyone of them!