PDA

View Full Version : Fashion & Costume Design Majors Group is Up and Running...

Cynthia
12-20-2005, 09:49 PM
We're interested in hearing from present and future Fashion and Costume Design Majors!!! :)

The range of discussions will include good schools for both majors in the US and abroad, classes to take & avoid, up-to-date industry info, internships, and beyond.

Whether you plan to make this your lifetime passion, or are just pursuing it as a hobby, feel free to join.

The rules are pretty much the same as those for cosplay.com, but mainly with an emphasis on playing nice and staying on topic.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to pm me.

Chibi-kun
12-21-2005, 03:02 AM
I think this would be awesome. (are we allowed to post already? XDD)

I'm actually planning to apply to FIDM in San Diego in hopes to major in costume designing. And I honestly wanted to ask if the career is worth it. What will you really do, where will it take you and etc.

kabuki_ikenie
12-21-2005, 09:20 AM
i'm studying design in the university of valparaiso, chile... next year i'll graduate... i have done fashion design and experimental textiles (but textile and fashion is not my major... i enjoy making clothing designs though)

SkippingSith
12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Costume design and construction major at Salisbury University in MD, soon to be a fashion/costume major at the Savannah School of Art and Design in Georgia.

Admin
12-21-2005, 02:25 PM
http://forums.cosplay.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups

The fashion design group is joinable from that page, with its own private forum. Put in a join request and Cynthia can add you to it.

Admin
12-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Whoops, I forgot to add the forum for this. The forum should be showing up now under this one, for anyone who is a member of this specific usergroup.

ParaPara*Tsu
12-27-2005, 04:41 PM
I do a lot of clothing designs and costume designs for fun, and have been planning to do this when I am older! ^_^

natsukoarts
01-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Fashion design and Animation at the Art Institute of San Francisco, California

Space Invader
01-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Used to be a Fashion Design major at the University of North Texas, I am not at the University of Texas in Austin, and am doing an internal transfer come the fall semester (they stuck me in the Natural Sciences college. Wtf?) to the Theatre & Dance college so I can pursue a major in Costume Design & Technology :).

bob-chan
01-16-2006, 02:51 AM
Fashion design and Animation at the Art Institute of San Francisco, California

Is that school fookin expensive? I wanna get into costume designing, but the CSU i go to don't have fashion design... Can't afford Academy Art SF, either.. :P
For now I'm planning on using my Illustration and Japanese majors to get into character designing for video games... which is basically costume designing, but no real fabric involved.

natsukoarts
01-16-2006, 07:19 PM
yes it is expensive, i will be on the "ramen noodle" diet for like forever, and my 6 years of japanese 4-hours a day got me into translation and in-betweens for animation... i hate 3-D so I am 2-D exclusvely

all hail in-betweens for saiyuki... farmed out to whom-evah....

but it is fashion design i really want to do, have done window dressing and set design, mannekins.... but doens't pay

natsukoarts is our design house, the sister will be doing all the sewing where I do all the designs (and the writing, i'm an author), and the boyfriend does the marketing, lettering for the web comic and the keys that piss me off

dark_mousy
01-23-2006, 11:00 PM
I've been looking into colleges since I need to start applying next year. I'm hoping to double major in Fashion Design and Photography so thus far my two top choices for colleges are the Academy of Art University in SF or Parsons School of Design in New York.

natsukoarts
01-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Dude, if you get into PARSONS, go to PARSONS, best in the universe.
As a New Yorker migrated to the "West" that is the way to go!

dark_mousy
01-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Dude, if you get into PARSONS, go to PARSONS, best in the universe.
As a New Yorker migrated to the "West" that is the way to go!

Heehee wow that good eh? It's definatly one I want to attend. My only draw back is how far away from home it is, you know? San Fran isn't too far (I live in Vegas). Either way, it's on my top two choices right now! I just need to get out tehre and check it out, and such.

Glad it got such a good reaction! Lol. I go to an art school right now, and I know a kid trying to get in, and a few of my teachers have mentioned it to me as well. Everyone tells me that's the one to go to. I just really have to worry about getting in~

Dia
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Fashion Design major at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, getting my Associate's Degree at the end of this semester and hanging around for two more years to get my Bachelor's.

loserific
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I plan on going to New York to a fashion design school. ^_^ I would LOVE to get into Parsons, but who knows. I am a sophomore right now in high school so yeah, I plan ahead. XD There are a lot more schools out there that I am thinking about. And since I live in Texas, I might just stay here. >> But I am doing this 'challenge' project that you do for two years, and I am doing a fashion show. ^_^

I am still unsure of where to go, really. I just know I want to do something with fashion. ^_^

shiro.youma
01-31-2006, 06:09 PM
I appplied to the fashion program at Ryerson in Toronto, it was the only University that offered it as a major, the U of Windsor offers a costume design program, but I wanted to attend University away from home, so I didn't apply.

~J-Chan~
02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm actually planning on pursueing my hobby as my career. My fairy costumes that are in my gallery are actualy original designs that are a part of one of my two portfolios which I'm working on in advaced placement art studio! As a sophmore I visited FIDM in San Fransisco for "Three days of Fashion" and to be quite honest I hated it. I didn't see any "work-type" rooms nor did I see a single sewing machine. When my mom asked if she could see the work room or even a sewing manchine...the college representatives totally blew her off. Anyway, a bit off topic....I'm also planning on visiting SCAD. They're big on fashion as well as art, therefore, I could still expand on my artistic side. Anyway, it's unofficail where I will be attending but my major is going to be costuming. I plan on focusing more so on theatre design as opposed to t.v. movie design because I think it would be much more interesting making show girl costumes as opposed to lousy dresses for some t.v show!

Amaya De'Morte
02-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm a major in Theatre (with empahasis on costume design) and a minor in fashion at a small state school in texas (where the only entertainment happens to be the neighborhood bar/rodeo combonation)

but I'll be transfering to University of North Texas this fall.

LuckInSpades
02-17-2006, 01:14 PM
FIDM, SF for me. Started not that long ago, but its interesting and giving me things to do. I can't wait to go into their costuming program in my 3rd year! Not sure what else to say ^,^;

Chibi Plush Toy
02-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Heh I'm still a junior in high school and I LOVE fashion design but very soon I'll be applying to LIM, FIDM, and possibly Parson's (just RECENTLY watching the last few episodes of Project Runway). This has always been a dream of mine and I'm hoping to achieve it greatly to my fullest potential!

edit: I will also be signing up for the FIDM Three Days of Fashion in San Diego.

Suzushichan
02-19-2006, 09:47 PM
soon i will be attending FIC, a very small fasion college here in SD. they also have classes on costume design. ^_^

Videl-chan
02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
I'll be staring FIDM in Los Angeles in July. I may not go into costume design, I'll stick with Fashion Design. It's great to meet other people who are in the field I'll be in!

Zeat Project
04-03-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm a fashion student at the Art Institute of Philadelphia. I make cosplay costumes and I'm a cosplayer. I would love to be a professional costume designer one day.

vampirate
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Aw, I'm already in one usergroup and can't join. But anyways, I'm a theatre major at Auburn University, not one of the big fancy artsy schools I know but some of us just go where we can financially, and I'm the assistant in our costume shop.

Clueless Case
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm at Otis in LA. It's fun having the campus in the middle of the LA fashion district. It's a pain to drive there everyday tho.

kuko-chan
04-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I've been accepted into George Brown College's fashion design course. I couldn't really see myself starting out in a university just yet because I'm not ready for heavy duty book work and theory as opposed to hands on practical work. I'm really excited about starting fashion design in the fall.

PinqFuu
04-16-2006, 01:04 AM
1 year at the Arts Institute of Seattle Fashion Design program

This fall I'm going to Seattle Central Community College for Apparel Design.

The fashion colleges I know that are most recognizable:

Chicago Institute of Art
FIT
Parsons
FIDM
OTIS

Ryoko-Dono
04-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey, I joined a while back, but I figured I'd post. I'm a senior in high school, and right now I'm trying to decide between Philadelphia Univeristy or FIT for fashion.

Hiro_01
07-22-2006, 11:29 AM
i'm interested in costume design...

Fujiiro-chan
07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
I recently graduated from high school and will be studying Fashion Design at Ryerson University (Toronto, Canada) this September, BUT... I can't help but wonder if I made the right decision. -_-

If you had to chose between Fashion Design and Theatre Production (specializing in Costuming, let's say... like I was debating between) which would you choose?

Hiro_01
07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
thats a good question, i was aqtually headding twords the theartre perduction myself, but i dono any community collages that have it, i want to do that more then fashion design because i'm upssessed with cosplay

Ryoko-Dono
07-26-2006, 11:20 PM
I had the same deliema, but I ended up siding on Fashion because I'd helped out on school productions, and I didnt really care for it. I got bossed around too much, and didnt get enough credit.

agent_airline
08-08-2006, 01:43 PM
fellow fashion student here! just finished a summer at Moore (in philadelphia) and am doing a year of community college before applying to FIT and Parsons.

misplaced
08-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm planning on taking my skills to Savannah soon enough, I would side with fashion. In theatre, I find i'm a little more limited.

Ryerson's a GREAT school for fashion, next to the ex-Sheridan program. What high school did you come out of?

lehulei
08-25-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm actually in the middle of my AA and about to start a 1yr program to become an LMT, but being an LMT will give me the funds to attend Knox (eww...private schools are expensive =P) as a Theatre Major with an emphasis in Design & Construction.

Fujiiro-chan
09-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I graduated from Thornlea S.S.

Having been at school for 2 weeks, I feel I should warn those who plan on applying to Ryerson and don't know how to sew (or have never used an industrial sewing machine) that you should take a course or something to prepare yourself. You're given 2 classes to get "acustomed" to the industrial machine and then you are expected to construct a big shirt in class according to instructions you get from watching a video the university has produced.

I see alot of people suffering in the construction class, because they expect you to know alot of things beforehand. Even if you sew alot on a domestic sewing machine, the sheer speed of the industrial machines will throw you off. (It definately gave me grief for a class... or two)

Just some friendly advice from a current first year. ^.^

Did/is anyone else here go to/is attending Ryerson? I'd love to meet some fellow cosplayers that are in the program.

Machiko
09-24-2006, 12:19 AM
I graduated from Thornlea S.S.

Having been at school for 2 weeks, I feel I should warn those who plan on applying to Ryerson and don't know how to sew (or have never used an industrial sewing machine) that you should take a course or something to prepare yourself. You're given 2 classes to get "acustomed" to the industrial machine and then you are expected to construct a big shirt in class according to instructions you get from watching a video the university has produced.

I see alot of people suffering in the construction class, because they expect you to know alot of things beforehand. Even if you sew alot on a domestic sewing machine, the sheer speed of the industrial machines will throw you off. (It definately gave me grief for a class... or two)

Just some friendly advice from a current first year. ^.^

Did/is anyone else here go to/is attending Ryerson? I'd love to meet some fellow cosplayers that are in the program.

this is so funny...i just searched online to see if i could find stuff about the Big Shirt because i'm just about 95% finished, and i found this LOL

i also go to Ryerson =D and it's my first year. i hate those industrial machines...>3< they just keep snapping my thread O_O But i do have a industrial Juki in my basement identical to the one in the labs =D so i've done 90% of the sewing at home since the machines at school like to destroy my shirt...

theredsun11
10-20-2006, 07:58 PM
hey everyone! i'm a senior in highschool and i'm really interested in going to a college in New England that has a good costuming design program..or at least a good fashion/theatre program that can set me on my way...anyone have any suggestions please? (ah and please remember, i have limited funds$ :[)

thanks!

Golden Eyed Dol
11-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey! I'm a costume design/costume technology major at DePaul University. I can't join the group unless they allow membership in more than one group unfortunately, because I've already put in a request to join the Chicagoland group (more chance of meeting up with people) but I thought I'd make myself know to the rest of you people.

IchiHaneTenshi
12-12-2006, 03:45 AM
:3 Hiya! Um, I'm planning to major in fashion design and whatnot. I thought I'd slip in and say helooo.

I enjoy designing my own clothes and wearing them. XD It's fun! I love doing what I do even if I'm not excellent at it yet. I'll be getting into school next year hopefully since I have to take a year off to play catch up. :/ Icky. It's great to see so many people aspiring to be designers though! :D!!!

Kiniro Hoshi
01-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey everyone! I'm currently a senior in high school but I will be attending FIDM in LA in July of this year. I'm going to start out as a fashion design major, but after I get my Associate of Arts I plan to go on with their Theatre Costume Design program. I've already visited the campus and I absolutely love what I've seen! Needless to say, I'm really excited about starting!

Cynthia
01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Here to let people know that the link to join the group is: http://forums.cosplay.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups
since I've noticed a lot of people have commented, but not joined.

Background:
I was accepted to Parsons last year, but couldn't attend because it's ridiculously expensive and even with the scholarship they were offering I couldn't afford to attend. (So, yeah, Parsons financial reject. LOL)

About 4 years before that I was also accepted to FIDM.

Kiniro Hoshi
01-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I went to the link, but there was nothing to click on in the "Join Group" column :/

xxMiniKittyxx
02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
i didn't see a link to join the group either.

Im interested in fashion and/or costume major for college, but i also wanted to go to a college that had a good study abroad program.

Specificy I wanted to see what my chances were at getting into the Bunka Fashion School in Tokyo......

help?

Trajedy
04-24-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm going to apply to Philadelphia University this summer and hopefully transfer in January.

I wanted to do fashion design at the vo-tech school in high school, but I didn't like the people. I was looking into going to the Art Institute in Philly right after graduation, but decided it was too expensive.

Here I am, 4 years of college and 3 majors later and it's still the only thing I really want to do. I've been doing my best to raise my GPA, since it's a hard program to get into. (They recommend at least a 3.0, I've got a 3.19 now, so I want to have a sure shot at this thing). It's expensive, but honestly,I've realized that it really is the only thing I really -enjoy- doing, and could see myself spending most of my life creating clothing. So... we'll see how it goes...

MissCarlyfornia
06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I went to FIDM in Sanfrancisco allmost ten years ago, it was expensive and they did not encourage my lolita lifestyle(no one wants to look like a victorian child! they told me) nor did they encourage stage costuming. I feel FIDM is a school for people who want to go into the industry not so much for people who wish to start their own clothing line. Granted ten years is a long time and this whole Gothic Lolita/anime thing has realy blown up, so maybe they are more receptive now. I would love to know.

Dal_Segno
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Can any one here comment on the practicality of being a costuming major? I’ve thought about several schools (Mainly in London or New York), and I go to an elite high school (which has national recognition apparently O_o), but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be living off Raman for the rest of me life. D:

Personally, I would love to pursue a career making costumes for Visual Kei bands, but I don't know if I'd be chasing something that's not there. DDD:

wyldbratling
10-28-2007, 06:05 PM
fellow fashion student here! just finished a summer at Moore (in philadelphia) and am doing a year of community college before applying to FIT and Parsons.

Hey, I'm a Moore Alumn! I strongly sugest if you want to do costume design that you apply for FIT in NYC. Moore really is not suted to costume design.

godsavethequeen
10-29-2007, 09:08 AM
I graduated from Emory University in May 2006 with a BFA in theater/costume design. Finding work that was specifically related to my degree and paid well was extraordinarily difficult (even in a large city like Atlanta). My experience when looking for jobs in costume shops, etc. was that many of them already have "established" employees - employees that have higher degrees and have worked with that particular costume shop for years, if not a decade or more.

So, what did I do? I started my own costume shop. I negotiated distribution contracts, set up a website, found a good set of contract employees - and now I'm my own boss. It is utterly fabulous and I wouldn't have it any other way. I still like to be involved with local theater companies, but many of those jobs are seasonal (i.e. one production). Something I really appreciate about my own business is the consistency - it is always there. Unless you have ample experience in a costume shop, breaking into a permanent position at more established places can be difficult.

So, my advice to upcoming costume/fashion majors - this is a difficult industry. Expect lots of contract work. As for my current plans - I'd like to expand my business, of course, and go for my masters in fine arts, costume design and construction. Considering SCAD at the moment.

Velvet Wings
10-29-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm interested in this usergroup! I finish my AA in December and am transferring to Western Illinois University for their Fashion & Marketing program. (The actual degree will be a Bachelor of Science in Family & Consumer Sciences.)

Varna
10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm hoping to attend IADT (International Academy of Design and Technology) in Chicago starting this summer, and I'm going to major in fashion design ^__^ Of course I'm planning on taking costume design classes as well since I'd like to build up my cosplay career. I've been designing outfits for a while but I haven't actually made anything just yet, except for costumes based on character designs.

Poke' Chan
11-01-2007, 10:57 PM
blah money... I wanted to be a fashion/costume design major but my mom stopped me... she doesn't believe that I should put my future in arts and refused to help me in that direction... currently i'm a psyc major at lsu-s and i love it... psychology is a passion of mine... but I still want to do design... I'm working in retail right now and I started as a seasonal sales associate and now 2 years later i'm a co manager...at 19... i'm hoping to save a little money and finish my degree then when i can afford it myself move somewhere more interesting than Louisiana and get back into design (neither degree offered at me current school and I don't really want to quit my job right now since i love it and they treat me well plus I get to dress people)

any advice?

Regena
11-05-2007, 08:46 AM
im looking to go back to school, for fashion design and merchadising and maybe business managment. The only school i believe that offers something here in NC, that i know of is Meridith college which is an private, all girls school and NC state,which has something in Textiles i believe. There is a school in charlotte, nc but that is to far for me. Until i decide on what i want to do i guess i am stuck at where i feel like ima be for the rest of my friggin life

Merino
11-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm currently at Ryerson for fashion design. I enjoy costume making a lot, but I really just enjoy the sewing, I will be happy with any job that lets me sew all day long. I want to take a lot of costuming and historical classes to get well rounded. I'm also a sucker for dresses, I love making them.

Quamara
01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I attended and graduated from the University of Northern Iowa, because my parents convinced me that they and I could not afford to go to the fashion schools. The program wasnít bad, just really small. I received BAs in Textiles and Apparel and Art. I also worked in the university theatrical costume department for a year and a half. Over all I would say that my experience was good, but it was hard to make contacts for future employment opportunities, because the program was really small.

Terumi
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
im looking to go back to school, for fashion design and merchadising and maybe business managment. The only school i believe that offers something here in NC, that i know of is Meridith college which is an private, all girls school and NC state,which has something in Textiles i believe. There is a school in charlotte, nc but that is to far for me. Until i decide on what i want to do i guess i am stuck at where i feel like ima be for the rest of my friggin life

I'm an NC girl too, and finding a proper school (in or out of state) has been difficult. In a similar boat ;_;

(This *is* the right spot to post this, right? >< Looking at what other people have posted here, I decided this was my best bet. If I'm wrong, I apologize!)

I was thinking about applying and transferring to APP or ECU for their Drama program with a concentration in Costume Design. If I want to pursue a future in creating costumes for Drama productions (or any other sort of production), would this be appropriate? Or rather, would it be sufficient?

I still talk with my high school art teacher and after speaking with him he responded with "Well, no matter what your degree, people always end up working outside of their job descriptions/degree particulars." But I'm worried it would have me stuck with small productions my entire life because of the degree. Does a goal of working with major productions (or even Television and/or movie) demand a degree from another school with different particulars? (I wouldn't need this to be happy, but I don't want to shut the door so soon or without even realizing it).

Not only this, but I've noticed that some of the schools with degrees labeled "Drama, Television and Movie costume Design" (or something very similar) don't have the students working hands on with a production or actors until the very last year or semester of the program (Where as the Drama degrees with a concentration in costume have you working hands on almost every semester). This confused me because when researching online I discovered that employers seek to hire based on hands on experience.

I feel as if I'm in a bit of a tough bind and I'm not sure which direction I should step off and into. I'm an amateur in need proper schooling, but which is best? Would anyone have suggestions, experience or advice?

Ichiro
02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Im going for costume design, after i finish up some generals.

thesingingllama
03-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm a Fashion design major at Missouri State University. I love the program, it is very industry based as the professors have actually worked in the field. It was close enough to home for me and I have earned college credit in high school, so I didn't have any trouble getting that to transfer. When I'm done I'll have a Bachelor of Science and I'll have done a required internship, which helps find a job.
It is an affordable school, it was easy to get a scholarship, I didn't need a portfolio like I would have at an art school, and now that I'm here I couldn't imagine going anywhere else.

itsuki<3pudding
03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm currently a Fashion Design major at the State University of New York at Oneonta. If all goes as planned I'll be attending FIT my last year and getting degrees from both schools.

agent_airline
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Can I get an invite to the group? I want to leave the other group I was in...

BTW I go to FIT now :) Fashion Design major!

TheLegendofLink
03-05-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm enrolled at the Art Institute of NYC for Fashion Design. Though I'm seriously interested in going into costume design.

miyavilover666
04-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I am trying to get into SCAD if not im going to go to the Art Institute of New York.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a scholership for Cosplay???
I have been looking for some...but can't find any. Or one that you can use cosplay for?

lost_teflon
04-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I want to be in this group too! I'm at FIT.

Anicam
04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I am trying to get into SCAD if not im going to go to the Art Institute of New York.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a scholership for Cosplay???
I have been looking for some...but can't find any. Or one that you can use cosplay for?

They don't exist. The only fashion design scholarships that I knew about in high school are the Duct Tape Prom Dress Scholarship, Joann's prom dress contest, Hancock's pattern contest and the ones that were available at the college that I was going to.

Currently those that are interested Cirque de Solei is having a costume contest for their current touring production.

I'm a fashion design major at the University of North Texas, very competitive to get in and very intense program but worth it. I'm planning in getting into Couture which is more artsy than what you train at UNT for which is high fashion that is also marketable. But Costume design is still in the air for me since Couture is hard to get into.

Gackt_Girl
05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Accepted at Universisty of Tennessee at Knoxville for Theater costume design ^^ Plan to acquire Masters in design in Japan

miyavilover666
05-29-2008, 08:21 AM
YAY i got into SCAD ^^ <3
fashion major here i come ^^

GNB Cosplay
02-27-2009, 03:09 AM
I went to Community College first at Pasadena City College to get my Associates of Arts degree in Fashion Design. Now I'm at CSUN working on my Bachelors Degree in Fashion Design ^_^

Shifty Llama
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
im not sure how to join but would love to,

Im am currently in 2nd year of a 4year costuming degree at Dalhousie university and am then planning to go on to get a masters in costume design. I would love to get a feel for some of the good schools in the states because im thinking of going there for the masters. It is really great also to see all the other people at school for this sort of thing.

LaPetiteSalope
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I am currently going to FIT and transfering to VCU for a bachelors degree in costume design :3

Lady_Kana
04-30-2009, 03:39 AM
I went to FIDM in Sanfrancisco allmost ten years ago, it was expensive and they did not encourage my lolita lifestyle(no one wants to look like a victorian child! they told me) nor did they encourage stage costuming. I feel FIDM is a school for people who want to go into the industry not so much for people who wish to start their own clothing line. Granted ten years is a long time and this whole Gothic Lolita/anime thing has realy blown up, so maybe they are more receptive now. I would love to know.

I'm in FIDM los angeles campus as of this moment, and I can tell you that they're still pretty unreceptive towards anything that is not geared towards FASHION. I'm continuously told that designs HAVE to come from a fashion forward background, and even with lolita being a lot bigger than it has been it's still quite an unpopular thing in the fashion industry.

For anyone else pursuing a degree in fashion

I think anyone looking to get a degree in fashion has to go for fashion unless they want to pursue costume design in if that's the case get ready for a load of work.

A lot of things you do might not even be the things you want to do.

You will have to draw, paint, business aspects, design patterns, and drape patterns with little to no creative freedom at all at first.

You have to lay down your life for this
That means you might not get to cosplay for a couple of years.
If you're a very very serious person then this is a great way to go. I'm just saying that this is a very time consuming degree where you will have little to no social life at all.

I hear a lot of people saying it's not what they expected, and they waste their money. Even I was surprised when I hopped aboard the train thinking that I could use this to my advantage, and I really can still.

It's hard work and it took me almost a year to figure out that I can't do more than half the things I used to because I'm too worried about making everything work and balance.

Just get ready to pull a lot of all-nighters :3

If you can just go and try and get a degree in costuming, become a tailor/seamstress apprentice, or get an internship with somebody that will let you work for free and teach you.

I say if you can handle that then you can probably handle schools like FIDM or Parsons, and I hope I didn't scare anyone. I'm just trying to let you guys know before you end up doing something you end up regretting.

GOOD LUCK future students :D!

loserific
04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm in FIDM los angeles campus as of this moment, and I can tell you that they're still pretty unreceptive towards anything that is not geared towards FASHION. I'm continuously told that designs HAVE to come from a fashion forward background, and even with lolita being a lot bigger than it has been it's still quite an unpopular thing in the fashion industry.

For anyone else pursuing a degree in fashion

I think anyone looking to get a degree in fashion has to go for fashion unless they want to pursue costume design in if that's the case get ready for a load of work.

A lot of things you do might not even be the things you want to do.

You will have to draw, paint, business aspects, design patterns, and drape patterns with little to no creative freedom at all at first.

You have to lay down your life for this
That means you might not get to cosplay for a couple of years.
If you're a very very serious person then this is a great way to go. I'm just saying that this is a very time consuming degree where you will have little to no social life at all.

I hear a lot of people saying it's not what they expected, and they waste their money. Even I was surprised when I hopped aboard the train thinking that I could use this to my advantage, and I really can still.

It's hard work and it took me almost a year to figure out that I can't do more than half the things I used to because I'm too worried about making everything work and balance.

Just get ready to pull a lot of all-nighters :3

If you can just go and try and get a degree in costuming, become a tailor/seamstress apprentice, or get an internship with somebody that will let you work for free and teach you.

I say if you can handle that then you can probably handle schools like FIDM or Parsons, and I hope I didn't scare anyone. I'm just trying to let you guys know before you end up doing something you end up regretting.

GOOD LUCK future students :D!

I agree!! I am also currently attending FIDM at the LA campus and I LOVE IT. (Actually I am here right now..in the annex because I don't have the internet back home xD ) But, you are right in so many areas about going into the fashion industry. You really have to take it serious and it can't be just because you want to learn how to make your costumes better, or something like that. I am in my third quarter of my first year and ever since I started all I have done is go to school and work..eat sometimes..and maybe shower if I am lucky. (lol, I kid) I thought that moving out to LA would be awesome because of all the cons here but I haven't been able to go to one. I had to miss PMX because of homework, missed a Diru concert that was literally down the street because of homework/money...so yeah, expect to sacrifice a lot. LA is pretty awesome though..if you have time and money. I canít wait for my break. lol

Just to show how busy I am this is my first time to cosplay.com since I first moved here in September..its been a while. I can't even think of cosplay right now. xD Even though now I have learned so much I still don't have the money. xD

But it really is worth all the time and money. I am loving it so much. And yes, they don't give you much freedom at first but now I am getting to actually make my own designs and all that. I love it though. <3 If you are deciding to go to a fashion school, particularly a two year, be ready to work and really question if this is really what you want to do. They teach you sooo much here which makes it really worth it, if thatís what you want to do. :D

Oh and YES..be ready for tooooonnns of sleepless nights. In fact, I am going off of two or so hours of sleep today! YEAH! xD

Lady_Kana
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree!! I am also currently attending FIDM at the LA campus and I LOVE IT. (Actually I am here right now..in the annex because I don't have the internet back home xD ) But, you are right in so many areas about going into the fashion industry. You really have to take it serious and it can't be just because you want to learn how to make your costumes better, or something like that. I am in my third quarter of my first year and ever since I started all I have done is go to school and work..eat sometimes..and maybe shower if I am lucky. (lol, I kid) I thought that moving out to LA would be awesome because of all the cons here but I haven't been able to go to one. I had to miss PMX because of homework, missed a Diru concert that was literally down the street because of homework/money...so yeah, expect to sacrifice a lot. LA is pretty awesome though..if you have time and money. I canít wait for my break. lol

Just to show how busy I am this is my first time to cosplay.com since I first moved here in September..its been a while. I can't even think of cosplay right now. xD Even though now I have learned so much I still don't have the money. xD

But it really is worth all the time and money. I am loving it so much. And yes, they don't give you much freedom at first but now I am getting to actually make my own designs and all that. I love it though. <3 If you are deciding to go to a fashion school, particularly a two year, be ready to work and really question if this is really what you want to do. They teach you sooo much here which makes it really worth it, if thatís what you want to do. :D

Oh and YES..be ready for tooooonnns of sleepless nights. In fact, I am going off of two or so hours of sleep today! YEAH! xD

Haha! I was actually one of those stubborn kids that was like, "hey I can do this for cosplaying! AWESOME!"
and the I'm too stubborn to listen to anyone because I though it wouldn't be hard for me. I have a horrible attention span though, and if I don't get started on my work then it's hard for me to ever get to it >__<
Didn't turn out to be what I expected at all, and I found my love to be not in sewing like I thought, but in pattern making and history of costumes.

I'm actually pretty bad at all the design aspects of fashion design lol
I can draw decently, but I'm not the greatest seamstress or draper :<

I actually had to take a quarter off because I was so stressed between work, moving, and school so I decided to just take a break.

I didn't think I'd get to meet a fellow Los Angeles FIDM student though!
and we're in the same quarter :D! So weird

kuroi_shi
04-30-2009, 11:21 PM
.. I recently finished school for fashion design.. =) .. It is a lot tougher than most people assume.. The fashion program at my school had the highest drop-out rate of any other program in the school, because many people signed up thinking that it was going to be easy..

Now that I'm done, I'm having a really hard time finding a job O.O
... And, it was sooo expensive O.O

athena-chan
09-20-2009, 10:20 PM
BA in fashion design from IADT

Aqua's Rhapsody
09-21-2009, 03:48 AM
My sister just got accepted to FIDM and she wants to major in fashion design[she has no interest in cosplay whatsoever]. I on the other hand am looking at the North Carolina School of the Arts, and would like to major in Costume Design.

Kralice
09-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Fashion has always been a huge passion for me.
I was going to apply to the IADT here in Toronto but have found my home buisness keeping me very busy but I do need to get cracking on my CosPlay making skills fast ^^

xxbabyjenksxx
09-29-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll be switching my major over to fashion design in the spring if I don't get into the disney college program (crosses fingers). I need to find a good college thats affordable in my area though. The one I goto now has a fashion department but its not well developed T.T. Any one know of some in the NY/PA area? I don't want to go too far from home so anything within 5-6 hours of Western NY/Upstate NY would be amazing!

Jaxx Sentinel
09-29-2009, 05:47 PM
This is pretty cool! =3 I'm currently studying costume and prop design at Monmouth college and plan on using my skills in the future as a prop or effect master later x,x. I may get a minor in tech theator but it all depends on if my school supports it next year

Champuro
10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Future fashion major here - I'm applying to the Pratt Institute's BFA program in just a couple weeks, as well as to Parsons although Parsons is really far too uptight for my liking.

I'm more interested in pursuing costume design, though, but I really don't want a theatre degree which seems to be the only way to get a Bachelors in that vein. Are there any colleges out there that offer a specific costume design program that is bachelor-granting and not associates-granting?

amariel
10-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm currently in the process of applying to the costume studies program at Dalhousie in Nova Scotia. Very excited, hope all goes well. ^^

Hiryuu
10-16-2009, 08:54 AM
I go to SCAD for fashion design :) It's hard...but I like it.

dulsaly
10-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Great, now people are botting for this title. Means my efforts of actually working for it were in vain.

Hiryuu
10-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Great, now people are botting for this title. Means my efforts of actually working for it were in vain.

You think we students aren't working for it? You're sorely mistaken. I've been in Fashion now for six years, not just for some fancy title. Fashion is hard, cut throat, and demanding. If you're not tough and able to work, you won't make it. All of us put effort in. Fashion is a more revolving business now so of course there will be more people joining in. Some won't make it, and some will. I think cosplayers are the most qualified to do fashion design, because of how we have to make things work for a costume. You should never discredit someone before you see their talent.

hegx
10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I am studying for a BA(Hons) degree in fashion in England...
I did my GCSEs and A levels and then went on to do a 1-year Art and Design foundation degree.
I then did 2 years of my degree ... Took a year out to work in the fashion industry ... and now I'm in my last year.
My advice to anyone interested in a career in fashion or costume design - GET INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE! If you can get a sandwich course which allows you to take a year out between your 2nd and 3rd years it is so worth it! If your course doesn't offer that, you can usually "intercollate" which is just postponing your last year (not actually leaving college/uni)
I had some paid work experience, mostly unpaid but I worked hard full time for 15 months and it has benefited me soooo much!
I know it makes getting your qualification further away, but when you graduate your are so much more likely to get a job!!
If anyone wants any advice or anything about this just ask :)
hegx xx

CherryMewMewNya
10-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I go to Parsons for Fashion Design and am FINALLY in my senior year haha. This NYCC/NYAF is going to be my first time cosplaying actually so I'm excited. Sometimes i rather work on my costume then my senior thesis but thats a whole nother can of worms. Nice to see some Fashion Design students up in here. REPRESENT!

colleenmcguirk
10-08-2011, 12:20 AM
it is good to see some FD major in here!
I went to Virginia Marti College here in Cleveland. got my Associates in Fashion design. cosplay was never brought up, so im in eager to learn all about it!!
love from the 216.

princelysoft
10-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Hey there! First year in FD & Industry at UNID Mexico. I'm actually here with a question for the majority here.

Among the costume industries, which one in your opinion, is the best for internship?

SakuraxTsubasa
11-17-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm a junior in high school this year and I've been looking at colleges since last summer. I'm really and truly hoping that whatever school I end up going to has some sort of fashion or costume design, because I want to double major in biomedical engineering and fashion/costume design. I actually spent a while looking through the programs Tisch has to offer, and they said, "Now, if you’re already enrolled in a college or university, consider spending a spring semester with us. Spring at Tisch offers you the opportunity to study Acting, Cinema Studies, Dramatic Writing, Film Production, Photography & Imaging, and Theatre Production & Design. It’s an unforgettable experience, and you may decide you want to stay for the summer or maybe longer. We’ll talk." so I'm really hoping that I can do that, because the head of design for stage and film is Susan Hilferty and I absolutely adore her.

Ja Zoo Spider
01-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi~!

I'm almost through with my undergrad degree, a BFA in Theatre Technical and Design with an emphasis in costume design. Afterward, I intend to pursue a Master's in fashion design, possibly at RISD or FIDM.