PDA

View Full Version : Petiton...We need help

DiGi_Rin
12-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Okay some of my friends that live far away want to come to Anime North but right now they can't since their parents don't know alot of nice people are going that live far away and close to the convention so I'd appericiate it if anyone would be nice enough to sign our petition, and maybe this could help your anime fan friends that live far away come to Anime North too.

http://www.piczo.com/animeconpetition

Please sign it.

Anime Dave
12-24-2005, 02:34 PM
If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you point out the parent's FAQ on the web site for them to read. That should help to alieve most if not all their fears.

Yunalicia
12-25-2005, 12:49 AM
It sounds like a good idea at first but if you think about it are parents going to respond to a whole bunch of random people who put there name down from the internet? i know mine wouldn't. You need to give them information rather than a list of random people's names. It's kinda like a presentation at school. You need to gather as much info as possible have everyone sit down and let them present it to their parents. If that doesn;t work then the parents obviously have their reasons and a petition won;t change it, it would probably just make them more mad.

EDIT: I just noticed that you are born in 1992. So you and your friends will be 13/14 when going to AN. I had problems convincing my mom when I was 17 to let me go. You will need a chaperone. I wouldn't let my children go to a con that young unless someone older was going. Sorry to sounds mean but I am just tring to help you realize what you are asking of them and understand why they would say no.

DiGi_Rin
12-25-2005, 07:15 AM
It sounds like a good idea at first but if you think about it are parents going to respond to a whole bunch of random people who put there name down from the internet? i know mine wouldn't. You need to give them information rather than a list of random people's names. It's kinda like a presentation at school. You need to gather as much info as possible have everyone sit down and let them present it to their parents. If that doesn;t work then the parents obviously have their reasons and a petition won;t change it, it would probably just make them more mad.

EDIT: I just noticed that you are born in 1992. So you and your friends will be 13/14 when going to AN. I had problems convincing my mom when I was 17 to let me go. You will need a chaperone. I wouldn't let my children go to a con that young unless someone older was going. Sorry to sounds mean but I am just tring to help you realize what you are asking of them and understand why they would say no.

The parent just might read that its safe and from other people's experiences how fun it would be for their son/daughter to go.

Actually my friend's ages range from 12-21 XD And my friends some live in Saskatchewan and are looking for some people that live around there to go with them.

Chisau
12-27-2005, 06:51 PM
it sounds to me that their parents thinks events like anime north is just a waste of time and money and they are making exuses so their children will not go. I lived in Saskatchewan before. Unless your friends are from rich families, Toronto is a very expensive city and Anime North is a very expensive event. Not to mention it's more dangerous too. And since your friends are in high school or under, they will be in their exam time during Anime North.

heki-chan
12-27-2005, 10:59 PM
No offence, but I don't see the point of the petition. O_o;
Petitions are used for civil demonstrations, and I don't think starting one will convince anyone's parents to let them go to AN.

If anything, you should ask your friends to see if they have relatives in the area willing to be chaperones. A list of people saying it is safe/fun probably won't cut it. There are people in your city that travel to AN, perhaps you and your parents can all spend some time together and perhaps make travel plans together. That's probably an easier and more possible way to go about this.

Amy the Yu
12-28-2005, 12:50 AM
it sounds to me that their parents thinks events like anime north is just a waste of time and money and they are making exuses so their children will not go. I lived in Saskatchewan before. Unless your friends are from rich families, Toronto is a very expensive city and Anime North is a very expensive event. Not to mention it's more dangerous too. And since your friends are in high school or under, they will be in their exam time during Anime North.Not so much exam time since AN's in May and exams are in June and I don't think anyone I knew actually studied much ahead of time for exams back in high school. @_@;;

However, it is expensive. For one weekend in TO, even locals (who can just take the bus across town) must pitch out over $100 for registration and hotel (and that's if you cram your hotel room full and beyond).

Parents often don't like the idea of their children (especially if they're high school or younger) being so far away by themselves. I can't see them too concerned with the 18+ being in a difference city, but that works on a person to person basis cause maturity...is relative. >_>;;

I flew down for AnimeUSA last year and my parents were less than pleased with the idea of me making the journey down even though I had friends who lived down there to pick me up from the airport and to drive me back there when I was leaving, and I was 19 on that trip. Aside from that, they were really only willing cause we had a lot of airmiles points stocked up and I managed to get my plane ticket for free using those.

Aside from the parents fretting over their children (even the legal adult "children"), paying $300+ for one weekend trip to TO (which is not a very safe place compared to smaller towns) for a hobby they might not fully understand probably doesn't make any sense to them.

Maybe they would understand it a bit better if the hopeful attendees earned the $ for the trip on their own and can use that as sort of "proof" of how responsible they are and how they can be trusted on such a long distance journey. ^^

That being said, I don't even think local kids that are 13 and under should be allowed to go to a convention themselves, so I certainly can understand their parents being reserved about letting them FLY to a strange city for such a thing. ^^;;

Vicky
12-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Yeah, sorry sweetheart but I think a petition is pretty silly. If your friends parents don't want their kids to go, a bunch of random people they don't even know isn't going to change that. You have to negotiate with your parents and gain their trust - at least that's what I had to do.

EDIT: also, i don't quite understand what you're trying to do. You said you're doing this to convince your friend's parents but the actual site says it's just a petition to see who's going... that isn't much of a petition...

Kaijugal
01-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I have to concur with what others have said in this thread. Having a petition proves nothing, your time would be better spent trying to arrange for a chaparone that would be acceptable to the parents involved, or convincing the parents themselves to attend.

In addition, Anime North's Convention Policy specifically states:

Children (under the age of 13)

A parent or guardian must accompany children under 13 at all times. Parents and guardians are responsible for the well-being and behavior of all children in their care.