PDA

View Full Version : Tomoyo-hime: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle

Kumi-chan
12-28-2005, 01:15 AM
My big project this year is going to be Princess Tomoyo, from Tsubasa. CLAMP's costume designs are always fantastic, and I'm picking a particularly detailed version of this one. The first image, in color, is the one that inspired me, and the one I'd like to do if possible. The second one is the slightly less complicated version that actually appears in the story.

This is the most complicated costume I've ever attempted, and I'm starting to run into difficulties even here in the planning stages. For instance, her plum-colored outer kimono, especially the "crescent moon" partial sleeves. The outer robe has a very flowing skirt despite being fastened in front like a regular kimono. I'll be using a regular kimono pattern, slightly altered in the sleeves, for the inner white and lavender layers, but I don't think that will work for the outer one. I'll have to make my own, but I can't seem to grasp the mechanics of how it comes together.

The moon-sleeves and the wideness of the neck are what really have me confused. Somehow, I can't get the shape of the pieces that form them in my mind. I have vague ideas about inserting stiff interfacing into the partial sleeves, to keep them stiff, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

I'm also not sure how to translate the flowiness of the skirt into a kimono pattern. Kimono usually stay pretty close to the body, and although I know nobles would wear flowing open robes, this is a closed robe.

I have some concerns about the head ornament and the mirror-necklace she wears around her neck. What would be good materials to use for these? I don't have the tools or knowledge to do metalwork, so I need to find an alternate solution that will hold up well. And does anyone have any suggestions for footwear? Should I just go for tabi socks?

I'll appreciate any suggestions that can help me in any way. I really want to do a good job on this costume, but I'm having trouble getting started.

Amiya
12-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I finished a version of Tomoyo-hime about two months ago. I used wood to make the necklace and the headdress and clay to make the beads. Mind you, the headdress is really hard to balance, and the necklace could get heavy. You could also use cardboard to make the headdress/necklace (bends easily). Since her dress is already really long, I don't think anyone would see your footwear...

ChibiTifa05
12-28-2005, 07:38 PM
My friend went as Tomoyo-hime for Otakon this year (check out my Otakon gallery!) and she used balsa wood for the bead-type things. She drew the pattern of it with pencil and used an exacto knife to cut it out. Then she used the same one she cut out as a basis for the other ones. For the kanji-like symbols and the cresent moons, she used T-shirt transfers.

For the headdress, she used balsa wood, too, which was kinda a bad idea on her part (it ended up breaking kinda on the Sunday). As for footwear, you could wear Japanese sandals or confortable silk slippers. My friend used slippers. But like Amiya said, no one will see your footwear since the costume will be pretty long.

Kumi-chan
12-28-2005, 09:52 PM
ChibiTifa05: Your friend's Tomoyo is really pretty! She looks lovely.

Wood does sound like a good idea for the hair ornament, if I could make it light-weight enough. I've never worked with it before, except painting wooden beads for a Miroku rosary; no carving experience. I'm sure there's a forum here that can give me tips on that, though.

I have a little experience casting resin. Perhaps I could use that for the beads on the ornament and the necklace? I've had trouble getting the resin to set very quickly, though, so if anyone knows anything about it, I'd love tips.

How do you keep your hair ornament on, Amiya? It's so large, I was thinking that I might anchor mine permanently in the wig, with additional ties that fasten behind my head. At least I can see using many wires and lots of stitches to try and keep it in place. Also, how do you keep from catching people in the eye with those long branches? I'm short enough that I could see poking a lot of people right in the face. I had enough trouble whapping everyone with my wired Merle tail, and that was just in the legs.

The biggest problem I have, though, is still with the costume itself. That outer kimono is a headache. I don't really have any idea as to what the pattern should look like. The way the partial sleeves hang out is very confusing: the neck opening is very wide, and the sleeves themselves slant downwards. Maybe its just how I'm looking at my reference pictures.

Speaking of which, I made some scans from the manga volume I have. Maybe they'll help.

DarkerLink
07-15-2008, 05:07 AM
I'm currently also making a Tomoyo cosplay outfit ... For the headdress I'm actually using a clothes hanger as the basis and sticking bits on it :) Not sure what to do about the hair though ....

The Kimono bit is really tricky .. I'm planning to do it in separate bits, ie a long flowing skirt, and then separate shoulder bits.

MsTestament
07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Allo! I do kimonos :) so let's see if I can help. Ok it's not really a kimono that you are looking at but an over coat as it were. Cut the shoulders Wide and I do mean wide, also widen the neckline. When you cut the waist down cut at a flare (almost like creating a skirt) do this flair for the front and back. Cut flared triangle panels to be placed between the front panel and the back panel (waist lvl down, it will be covered by the belting) This will give you the flutter and petal feel.

For the sleeve instead of cutting the pattern straight like a box, go wider by a few inches and (6-8, do a mock see what works) and curve back to the pattern towards the waist, that will give you more of a curve and as the coat slumps on the shoulders you will see more of the float or flow with a curve. Then you can hand paint on the cresent moon with a good fabric paint.

Check my sight some visual pictures may help you see what I mean, tell me if you need more explaination.