PDA

View Full Version : What your parents think about cosplay...

digikoomi
07-29-2002, 08:13 AM
Hi, cosplay fans. I like to know about what all your parents think about cosplay. Like my parents would think it's too crazy and wasting money... right now they are better because it's a good thing to show off your craft skill.

so I like to heard about what your parents think about cosplay.

Neon Genocide
07-29-2002, 08:21 AM
My parents are pretty cool with it, maybe a little odd but hey... I get wierd looks from them (more so my dad than mom). But in the end its all good..

mandichan
07-29-2002, 08:41 AM
For some reason, my mom really loves my cosplay! She is so proud when I sew something, and she goes on and on about how cute I look in my costumes ^_^ She hates it when I buy a lot of anime/manga stuff, but she loves my costumes!! ^_^ (Although sometimes when she sees other people's photos she goes on about how they are too scandalous ^_-)

I thought that my dad would hate them too, but he just gets mad about fabric all over my room ^_^ He actually complimented my costumes too!

I was most surprised at my younger brother who is a jock type who I thought would call me a nerd for it, but he said it was really cool and I should go into fashion or sewing or something @_@

Anyway I've found people to be pretty ok with cosplay! Even a guy I know who thinks cosplay is dumb still was ok with me after I told him I did cosplay ^_^

Sami
07-29-2002, 10:47 AM
Haha, aside from the ocassional weird look or something, they're pretty okay with it. ^_^ I live on my own so I don't really get much input, but my mom was super helpful when I was making my Misao costume last year.

However, I'm -still- trying to get my boyfriend to cosplay with me... >.> Nnngh..

Tenjou
07-29-2002, 11:07 AM
My mom's okay with it, but my dad think it's stupid and I'm stupid. ^^::

digikoomi
07-29-2002, 02:25 PM
I think American parents are better than asian parents...most asian parents would think anime and manga are bad for kids, and they force them to stop reading it...that's sad, my parents was like it before, now is so much better....

oh and do anyone heard about any comment about cosplayer during the shoujocon? there are lots NORMAL people didn't know about anime and talking about us, I think that's really bad...I hate that kinda people so much....

Neon Genocide
07-29-2002, 02:50 PM
I hate when people judge others like that. Never judge what you don't understand......

Shinobu
07-29-2002, 05:13 PM
my mom likes it. she helps me sometimes even though I dont ask for it. I luv my mommy. ^^
Well she also loves it and says my costumes are cute and is willing to bring me to the fabric store etc.
I dunno what my dad thinks of it. lol

kelldar
07-29-2002, 06:32 PM
my parents are very cool with it. but I guess that's cause they both used to make a lot of costumes for halloween parties when they were younger, and also costumed at scifi conventions for a while there. My mom helps me with *all* my costumes and my dad sometimes helps with accessories. My dad also usually ends up going to most cons with me, helping me put on difficult parts of my costume and, when I was dressed as Lulu, helping me walk around, lol.
they complain about it sometimes, but I think they both have fun doing it. my grandparents are cool with it, too. They always want to see pics.... altho my granddad saw my urd costume the other day and told me I needed to be wearing a sweater. *g*

scandia
08-03-2002, 09:50 AM
My family thinks I need to outgrow it and that my Emeraude dress made me look fat (it was empire style rather than a more flattering A-line, but it still fit well).

Oshi
08-03-2002, 03:43 PM
...My mom is kinda shocked that I'm starting to do this stuff, though she helps when I need it... I'm not even gonna tell my dad, and hide it from him as long as possible, for fear of what he's gonna think/say... He thinks I'm a loser enough because I'm so into computers and videogames. -_-;

Ranma Saotome
08-04-2002, 01:31 PM
I'll say again...

My mom likes it. Had to stop her on several occasions from dressing up like Nodoka Saotome.

My grandmother despises it. End of story. ^^;

Ranma Saotome
08-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by digikoomi
oh and do anyone heard about any comment about cosplayer during the shoujocon? there are lots NORMAL people didn't know about anime and talking about us, I think that's really bad...I hate that kinda people so much....

Yes, Saturday night. I was there. Let's just leave it at that. ^^;

Lovelyangel_81
08-06-2002, 07:24 PM
My parents are cool with me cosplaying. They tell me that if I love it then it's ok with them. I love my parents. ^__^

Ranma Saotome
08-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Lovelyangel_81
My parents are cool with me cosplaying. They tell me that if I love it then it's ok with them. I love my parents. ^__^

Wanna trade parental units?

scandia
08-06-2002, 08:49 PM
My mom just told me that now that I am almost 25 and a professional I need to channel my interests. This was in response to when I told her that I will be driving to Hotlanta for AWA on the weekend before my birthday. On the other hand, making costumes can help me indirectly with teaching art.

ReiChan
08-06-2002, 09:42 PM
My parents are cool with it. My mom helped me with my Haruko outfit...she made most of it because I really didn't know what I was doing. When I made my Lulu by myself she helped me choose fabrics and taught me how to do certain sewing-related stuff I didn't know how to do before. I guess they think that if it makes me happy it's cool with them. Plus I think they're proud of me for winning a trophy in the Comic-con masquerade this past weekend. ^_^

Third-child
08-07-2002, 05:55 PM
My parents are kool with it. They are in a little shock that i got peacecraft to do most of the sewing! Also, mom came in and I was told I was styling the wigs all wrong. 3 hour later mom, styled them all for me!

They love to see the pictures that I bring home of me and others!

KuroBara
08-07-2002, 07:29 PM
My mom's ok with it, she helped me a lot on Suzaku no Miko. My dad doesn't mind, he's a big sci-fi fan. I guess he figures it's better than a lot of other habits.

The rest of my family gives me crap about anime / manga in general. Even my brother joins in, despite the fact that he's a pro-wrestling fan. Talk about your fantasies...

I got a lecture from my aunt when we were shopping and I had to stop at a fabric store for some satin. My family doesn't see my photos, and don't even know I have a website. I don't think my mom knows I have more than 3 costumes ^_^

makonurikoryoko
08-10-2002, 02:16 AM
My dad is indiffernt and my mother hates it for the most part but sometimes she'll show off pics of me and say "look ho talentedmy daughter is". She just thinks its a waste of my money and se thinks I'm insane to spend so much time on it. Especialy before Otakon when I stayed up till 4 evrynight till Thursday before the con. It was worth it! XD

Dark Vision
08-10-2002, 02:53 AM
My parents don't really know. I just work on costumes and their afraid to ask what i'm doing. Also they wonder why i'm playing with sewing machine, tools, and paints. They think i'm going through a phase and i get passed it. Yea right!! XP

Ranma Saotome
08-10-2002, 01:55 PM
*waves at mako-chan*

makonurikoryoko
08-10-2002, 02:38 PM
::waves back:: hey there! ^-^

Ranma Saotome
08-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Mako, where was that picture taken?

Ranma Saotome
08-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Just like what Will Smith said... Parents just don't understand.

makonurikoryoko
08-10-2002, 07:04 PM
That pic was taken at shoujocon. The roses in the front wereso pretty

Ranma Saotome
08-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by makonurikoryoko
That pic was taken at shoujocon. The roses in the front wereso pretty

Way past kewl.

Koumori
08-12-2002, 01:24 PM
I'm 29. My parents think it's a little weird, but my mother, who's a seamstress herself, at least appreciates the technical skill that goes into it. They don't actively disapprove, and that's fine with me. But then, I don't live with them. Like I said, I'm 29.

Xx Lulu xX
09-08-2002, 08:07 PM
My parents are totally ok with my Cosplaying...but i think that my desire to go as girls increases..along wiht my age..they're going to have a problem with me and my spendingg of money on things like that....:argue: But oh well...i dun care..its a blast..and its a hobby i've always wanted to do :razz:

Xx Lulu xX
09-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Yes I know this is out of place..but i just need to say Koumori...i saw you at Shoujocon..I was the blonde miko rei...I dont think you noticed me.., I was sitting in the lobby most of the time but i'd just like to compliment you on BOTH of your costumes....they were amazing...

Xx Lulu xX
09-11-2002, 09:27 PM
*blink* :bouncer: Cosplay...and my parents...i dont think they'd work....no nope

Shadow Lady
09-11-2002, 11:54 PM
My parents are pretty cool with it.
I've only done one costume so far (R. Dorothy from Big O). I didn't get much of a comment from my Mom (or I just don't remember) and my Dad (the Halloween dude) thought it was intresting. My Grandma made the costume with my help. I think it turned out pretty cool for a first time. She still wants a picture of me wearing it because the the lady at the craft store wants to see how it turned out (I think she makes medival costumes).
I wonder what they would think if I continued to cosplay up into my late twentys (I'm 16 now)
:toothy:

diqitaldreams
09-12-2002, 12:09 AM
My mom use to think that cosplaying was for "improper" people. @_@ Leave it to an asian parent to think like that. After a while, she saw how much I liked anime and how badly I wanted to cosplay. I asked her constantly how to sew and finally, she caved in. xD HAR HAR. Soo...she's helping me with my costumes now. ^.~ Luckily for me, because I'm still afraid of sewing my fingers together. ::can't sew worth life::