PDA

View Full Version : Weight Issues: Revisted

DojoKonojojo
01-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Not alot of people are slender, duh.
So what hope is there for fat people in cosplay?
They're arent a whole lot of anime characters that are fat.
They're may be some, like Chouji from Naruto, but others arent even respectable.
So, what do you suggest for the big guys/girls?
If your overweight and would like to talk about your cosplay experiences, give a shout out here.:chatah: Im all ears.

p.s. This is personal for me too. Help me find someone to cosplay.
I've narrowed down my choices to Chouji from Naruto(I need to buy a wig cause I shaved my head) or Rare Hunter Lumis from Yu-Gi-Oh!(Im not short but I am bald.)
Attached are some pictures of me. Resemble or remind you of any characters?
Let me know. Reply or P.M.
PEACE OUT!!

p.p.s. I appreciate the kind people who will say "It doesnt matter about your weight class, cosplay anyone!" But seriously, Im not gonna bother considering that cause thats just wrong. Look at my picture and tell me in the face I could cosplay..ex. Edward Elric from FMA. Yeah..thanks for the gesture anyways!:angel2:

Konrad-Chan
01-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Yeah, but how often do black people feel self-conscious about cosplaying as white or asian characters?

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Probability
01-03-2006, 05:14 AM
You my friend are definetly a case of being your own worst critic! Honestly it sounds like you have a bigger issue with not playing someone of your weight then other CosPlayers would!

However if thats your thing and you only have fun playing larger gents, consider some of the old school fighting games like SF:II, Fatal Fury I,II, etc... almost all of them had larger characters {although 90% of the time they were either wrestlers, or sumo wrestlers though, so that route is sort of boxed in}

Also consider non-anime sources. Anime/Japan aren't the only places to get ideas to wear at CosPlay, and western scifi/fantasy is full of far more characters of wide girth {who aren't sidekicks/joke fodder}.

Also you look black in your photos... if so that opens up all kind of possabilites... their aren't alot of black cosplayers compared to white and asian so enjoy the magnititude of black fictional characters secure that regardless of comparative weight you can look them better then 99.9% of the normal cosplayers. Barret from FF7 for example... actually give you the whole facial hair... hmm... theirs another one for you there, although good luck with the gun arm.

Tenebrae
01-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Ryu/Tiny/Hootie the Owl from Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets/etc.:
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/r/ryu.htm

Uno from Final Fantasy X-2:
http://www.creativeuncut.com/artff10-2.html (3rd row, far right, purple guy)

EDIT: BTW, I also tend to agree with what most people have already said. Cosplay whoever you want to as long as you can adapt the outfit to be flattering on you. Even if I wanted to cosplay Felicia (infamously nearly-nekkid Darkstalkers catgirl), there's no way I could really adapt something like that to look good on me.
Try not to be so defeatist and down on yourself.

-Tenebrae.

Mistress_Aine
01-03-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think that overweight cosplayers should limit themselves to just characters who are big. An overweight cosplayer can cosplay almost anyone. The catch is to make the costume to fit you. I mean If you are doing a small character and you aren't so small, then remember that you are making the costuem for yuor size not theirs, so alter it to fit you more appropriately. Size shouldn't matter and won't if you take the right steps.

Manveri
01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
the other thing I think that overweight people should consider is very revealing costumes or tight fitting costumes, people don't really want to see that. Other than that, I'd agree with Mistress_aine

SkippingSith
01-03-2006, 12:24 PM
You, my friend, would make an EXCELLENT Barrett from FFVII. Or Rude.

But I agree. I'm not by anyone's definition, "slender," and I cosplay whoever the heck I please. (currently working on Rosette from Chrno Crusade). As long as you become the character when you cosplay (adopt an attitude during pictures, know your poses), you can be whoever you want to be.

Tia
01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
I think it's sad that you're limiting yourself like this. The other thing is, the fact that you didn't give a photo of your whole body makes it difficult to cast you. It sounds like you have body issues more than just being overweight. I can understand this, but I think you are wrong about what one should cosplay. Like stated before, it's like telling someone who is black they shouldn't cosplay anybody white or asian and give them about three or four possible characters they can cosplay. People have no control over their race. People do have control over their bodies, but some people have trouble keeping it. It's not like being overweight is intentional. It's a different story, and not quite as harsh as saying that to a black cosplayer, but it is similar. There are a lot of other options you have besides just cosplaying fat guys from anime.

AncientWanderer
01-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm also with Mistress_aine: if you do decide to cosplay someone who has a smaller frame than yourself (and let's face it, lots of us are in that situation) altering the design a bit can make it really flattering for you. I get pretty self-concious sometimes too, but if you can work your way around it you'll be fine.

If you are really set on your mission to find a larger character though, I immediately thought of Barrett from FF7 when I saw your pic. :) I hope your search goes well, no matter what you decide to do. And like I said before, a lot of us deal with weight issues in the world of anime/video game figures, so I think a tolerance of larger cosplayers is pretty good around this community. Good luck!

madame morte
01-03-2006, 01:20 PM
You, my friend, would make an EXCELLENT Barrett from FFVII. Or Rude.

But I agree. I'm not by anyone's definition, "slender," and I cosplay whoever the heck I please. (currently working on Rosette from Chrno Crusade). As long as you become the character when you cosplay (adopt an attitude during pictures, know your poses), you can be whoever you want to be.

Hehe, I was thinking of Barett, too!

Probability
01-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm going to play devils advocate for Dojo here and point something out...

Just as it is okay for a big person to CosPlay a skinnier character... it is ALSO just as okay for a big person to NOT WANT to CosPlay a skinnier character.

Generally when someone posts something like
'I'm fat so I shouldn't cosplay skinny character because OTHER PEOPLE have a problem with it',
my wisdom is
'screw them, cosplay what you want, don't let others dictate your life'.

BUT

Dojo isn't saying other people have a problem with it.

He is saying HE dislikes the idea of cosplaying someone not of his bodytype.

If he doesn't want to, he shouldn't do so just to 'prove a point' that fat people can cosplay skinny characters. He should cosplay what he wants to and what he feels comfortable with... if thats characters more like him, more power to him!

Also I think saying he has "a lot of body issues that extend further than being overweight" because of two photos might be taking it a little far, thats alot of judgement over very little evidence unless he posted something somewhere else I'm missing. Nothing at all is wrong with wanting to CosPlay someone more like you, especially if you lean towards being a perfectionist in your outfits.

The point is it's okay, either way, in Cosplay.
(whoot! rhymed it!)
Nothing at all wrong with wanting to be someone more like yourself.
Just because your big and don't want to cosplay skinny doesn't mean you have weight issues.
Just because your a man and won't cosplay as a women doesn't mean you have sexuality issues {or vice versa}.
Just because you cosplay caucasions, or asians, etc, doesn't mean you have races issues.

Best reason to cosplay... you like the character, and are comfortable with it. If he's comfortable as a big man with being the big men, good for him!

esantiago7292
01-03-2006, 03:54 PM
There's already a topic about this. Not entirely the same subject but related enough to be the same. Please look around before posting a new topic.

Rem Akimichi
01-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Man, do I know how you feel. I'm a chubby girl! Do you know how many chubby girls are in anime? I can think of maybe two.

Anyways, why limit yourself to people who're chubby? I think you'd look awesome as Jet from Beebop (with a fake beard and some hair, or course, but thats whats wigs are for), and I'm certain there are some great characters you'd feel comfortable playing in the Gundam genre *remembers the first original Gundum series* certainly. Just look through them. Maybe Gundum 008? I'm not quite sure if thats the one I'm thinking about though...

Or, what more! Start looking through webcomics. Might sound silly, but a lot of webcomics portray more "real" type characters than the mainstream manga (and then again, a lot of very unreal. Its all a matter of preference). Or you could play Al from FMA. The suit might be hard to make, but it would be awesome.

Seriously, you're choices are only as limited as your knowledge of anime, so get looking for some new stories. You might find something that becomes your new favorite while finding a great costume you feel comfortable in.

Good luck!

sjbonnar
01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
I am overweight and I just don't care LOL I personally wouldn't cosplay someone that is a small, petite guy (Hitsugaya from Bleach comes to mind LOL) but my first ever cosplay is going to be Zaraki Kenpachi who actually has a six-pack and is quite a buff guy LOL But I just don't care because he's a cool guy *shrugs*

I think that cosplayers and the people who attend animé conventions seem to be less judgemental than society as a whole. *shrugs*

My two pence I guess LOL

havokgrl
01-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm also with Mistress_aine: if you do decide to cosplay someone who has a smaller frame than yourself (and let's face it, lots of us are in that situation) altering the design a bit can make it really flattering for you. I get pretty self-concious sometimes too, but if you can work your way around it you'll be fine.

If you are really set on your mission to find a larger character though, I immediately thought of Barrett from FF7 when I saw your pic. :) I hope your search goes well, no matter what you decide to do. And like I said before, a lot of us deal with weight issues in the world of anime/video game figures, so I think a tolerance of larger cosplayers is pretty good around this community. Good luck!

My thoughts exactly!, Im not the skinniest person in the world and im trying to get in shape but that wont stop me from cosplaying who i want to cosplay as, though I would NEVER cosplay anything that i find shows a lotta skin like Rikku from Final Fantasy x-2. I wouldnt do that til im more toned up.:toothy:

Tia
01-03-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said "a lot of"... I am editing the previous post to change that. But it seemed to me that asking for characters and not giving a full reference of yourself means that you don't want to show what you look like. I kind of overreacted, though, and I am sorry for that. I was in a really bad mood when I read this post, and shouldn't have replied.

Choc_puddin
01-03-2006, 07:44 PM
In all honesty I dont think that size matters in cosplay. I'm really more interested in how well made and accurate a costume is, and how well someone portays their character.

But not only is it hard for bigger people to decide on costumes, thin people have a hard time of it too. I'm very small and slight, so choosing costumes for me is a big deal. I need something that will compliment my firgure without overwhelming it, and often I have to adjust parts of costumes to suit me.
But that still wouldnt stop me from cosplaying as a character I adore. Its all about tampering with a costume so that it looks good on you.

Fory-san
01-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Adjust the costume to fit your body type. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Dre
01-05-2006, 07:39 AM
I agree with Probability,

If it is your choice to cosplay or not to cosplay a certain character, than more power to you.

To be honest, I was once a "fluffy" individual during my childhood and into my teenage years, but that didn't stop me from cosplaying as the characters proportionally a different shape as I. A good example of that was when I was 7. I weighed a good 150 lbs. then (that's really, REALLY big), but I managed to cosplay Dee Jay of Street Fighter (yes, shirtless and buff) by creating a bodysuit to look like an amazing physical specimen, but that was because I was prone to illnesses then, and needed something to keep me warm! Being big never bothered me, and it shouldn't bother you either, as long as you are comfortable with yourself. I lost weight due to my physical ailments at the time and I was worried about future repercussions.

scnd
01-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I can't speak for every fat person here, i know i can't, because each of us holds ourselves differently. We've all had to adapt in to a culture where were not completely accepted, and some of us have gone above and beyond that, focused on the good things and become successful, others have let themselves become joke fodder (i like how that was put earlier).

The thing is, just as someone might take pride in their race, religion, culture or hobby, some fat people take pride in their fat (i know i do, i couldn't imagine not being double wide). So sometimes its more awkward than you might think to have to "think like a thin person". Its naturally easier to think like a fat person because for the most part, thats all we've ever been. Just a thought.

energyj2001
01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
You can be Mr. T or Brett from FF7.

As for losing weight this is one that works. I'm 5'11 and only 140. Why? Because I walk everday or run/jog. If you want to be slender then do pushups/situps/chinups rather then lift weight.

Good luck, its very simple but takes a while to see results.

Kaijugal
01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
My advice to you is try not to get discouraged.

That being said I know what it feels like to be a plus sized cosplayer as I've been on the larger side of life since day one. ^_^"

You have a distinctive advanatage over me however and that is that you are male, (and I'm guessing over 5 ft tall right?)

I see lots of great characters which I think would be great for plus sized cosplay if it weren't for the fact that they are bare chested / topless males, or extremely tall characters, without a place to hide lifts or stilts. *sigh*

Here are a few random suggestions: (I'm absolutely sure there are tonnes more!)

Dongzhuo (Dynasty Warriors) http://www.thegnet.ch/playstation2/dynastywarriors/bilder/dongzhuo.jpg

Guilmon (Digimon)
http://digimon.intellos.net/guilmon.jpg

Jillbert (Chrono Cross)
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/cc/art-jillbert1.jpg

Bowman Delgado (Rival Schools)
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/fightgen/characters/boman.html

Genma Satome (Ranma 1/2)
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Flats/4352/genma-003.jpg

Briareos
http://mangajimatemp.free.fr/img/briareos.jpg

I have to agree with the person who posted the suggestion of Ryu/Tiny from Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets. (As he's my favorite all time character I can definately say there are not enough Tiny cosplayers in the world!) XD *chuckles* :)

Definately do not get discouraged ! If you have a specific type of character you'd like to cosplay I'll do my best to find that for you. From personal experience Kaiju (giant monsters), and Mascotts can be very good, especially if you are shy.

I have a feeling that whatever you decide to cosplay you will be a hit. I can see from your photos that you have alot of personality and one of those contageous smiles. ^_^ That goes a long, long way in cosplay. ^_~

Be cool, good luck finding some costumes that you will enjoy wearing/ characters you will enjoy cosplaying as. :)

Cheers!

FiaNari
01-05-2006, 01:20 PM
You can be Mr. T or Brett from FF7.

As for losing weight this is one that works. I'm 5'11 and only 140. Why? Because I walk everday or run/jog. If you want to be slender then do pushups/situps/chinups rather then lift weight.

Good luck, its very simple but takes a while to see results.

(I tend to get bashed whenever I give that kinda advice, what gives? 6'0" 155)
For guys it's a little different, once your shoulders have a certain width(in the adult years), it's hard to become a "small" guy. So usually one becomes a big, buff guy(which is better anyways), so even still the same cosplay character options are around(for his criteria anyways).
Seth from KOF or Zasalamel from Soul Calibur 3!!

energyj2001
01-05-2006, 05:12 PM
O rly? Oh well, guess I'm genetically slender ;-)

FiaNari
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
O rly? Oh well, guess I'm genetically slender ;-)

Well genetically your as slim as me more or less. What I meant is that when one expands and the bones adjust to that expansion, it's hard to become thin.

energyj2001
01-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Eh, I'm a bit slow.

So basically what you're saying if a person becomes fat during adolescent, he can't become or 'tis difficult to become slender during his adult years?

FiaNari
01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Eh, I'm a bit slow.

So basically what you're saying if a person becomes fat during adolescent, he can't become or 'tis difficult to become slender during his adult years?

If an adult matures with 40 inch shoulders, he won't be "small", he can be fit though.

Tifa_Lockhart_X
01-05-2006, 06:56 PM
So I read through what some people had to say on this. I agree with the whole cosplay as who you feel comfortable as. Screw it, if the costume is a tad bit revealing, let those people insult you, but don't take it to heart. Ask yourself, "Did I do this costume accurately?" If you did, I see no problem with it whatsoever. Come on now, your stereotypical 'geek' is usually overweight or seriously thin. So hey, there's plenty of people out there. I'm a bit chunky, though...I plan on losing it. Though, I could careless what people think of me. If I want to cosplay a character that doesn't have my body frame, that's my decision, and no one should worry their little selves about what I'm wearing. It's my business, not there. So don't limit yourself to a character that is one of a large frame. Though, I must admit, the Barret or Rude suggestion hits your right off the dot. I think you'd be fantastic as either character. Good luck.

Dre
01-05-2006, 07:51 PM
it is very hard to become a "smaller" individual once your adult years kick in, however, if one had taken the time to excercise and diet correctly during their adolesence and into their teenage years, then that situation could be remedied faster. The lack of metabolism in an adult body is the cause of this.

I am a naturally large individual (5'11" and I weigh 210 lbs.) and I always have been. The reason I weigh so very much compared to many other cosplayers (or people for that matter) is because of both natural muscle mass and athletic discipline.

As aforementioned, I was a "fluffy" individual with potentially grave physical ailments (Massive Heart Failure and Diabetes prone due to genetics). So even though I might have been a happy person by nature, I realize that I needed to change to benefit my health. So I decided to enter the strenuous discipline of professional wrestling, which helped in boosting my confidence and physical condition.

But don't get me wrong, I know some big guys who aren't afraid to flaunt! One of my few close friends is massive in size, but that does not stop him from cosplaying characters like Rock Howard (twig) or Benimaru Nikaido (ehehehe, super twig). He is very comfortable with wearing that form-fitting shirt. I'm fine with it, whatever floats his boat ^_^.

The point is, if you're unhappy with your appearance, then do something about it. If not, then don't limit yourself.