PDA

View Full Version : A Final Fantasy Remake?????

Giant Alucard
02-11-2003, 07:55 AM
I was going through a old Game informer magazine (2 or 3 months old ), and i came across a article i thought most Final Fantasy fans would love to hear. Square soft has announced a project to remake their line of final fantasy games. When i say remake i mean update their outdated graphics, put in add story line and dialouge (people accually talking), and better CG effects. Why would they do this do you ask?? Well. when they fianlly release FF11, it WILL be the last new final fantasy, Since all they need to do (since it is on the internet) is add new levels and new characters, and so on and so forth). Becuase of this, the people down at squaresoft needed a way to keep that fans of Final Fantasy happy if they ever got bored of Playing the online versions of the same game. SO now they plan that , once FF11 is made and Released to the public, (or maybe even before, since the release date may be pushed back) they will release the remake of their older FF games. FF tactics(gamecube) is just one example of the new remakes ( even though i Think it's just the name thats the name, and not much else). It's aslo known that they've chosen the first title that is to be remade and released and it is................................................ .......
Final Fantasy 7. I , personally, am very happy with this choice, since i've loved FF7 out of all the FF games. And now that we know this you can expect to see Cloud and Sephiroth In all their glory.

But i wish to know what you all think about this choice. Do you think they should have chosen a different game or that they shouldn't try to remake the classics at all???

Erilan
02-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Uh dude... what do you mean by Square not making FF games? FFX-2 is just around the corner and FFXII is currently in its first stages of development. Square has also secured website licenses for all Final Fantasies up to 15. So Final Fantasy isn't exactly "Final" yet. :p

As for remakes, yeah, Square is remaking many games such as FF1/2, FFT(which is coing out for GBA, not GC), and so forth. FF7 hasn't been officially announced yet, but Square has indeed mentioned they are interested in an FF7 remake.

Celine
02-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Actually, they aren't remaking FFT. The Tactics game on the GBA (brilliantly titled FF Tactics Advance) is going to be different, despite previous statements that it would simply be a remake of the PSX game. There is a different FF game coming to the GC- Crystal Chronicle, but not much information has been released about that yet.

And FFXI is definitely *not* the last Final Fantasy.

Kairikins
02-11-2003, 02:18 PM
I remember hearing about the remake of FF1/2 called FF originals (kinda like Celes' favorite package of Anthology ^_~) and they plan to do the same with 3 and 4.

While I had not heard of any remake for FF7. .I did hear they are working towards a sequel. .so maybe there is some confusing there? I'll have to find my magazine and scan the lil blurb that talks about the sequel to 7 (with a nice comment that we can plan on Cloud not wearing hot pants hahaha)

shakeystephens
02-12-2003, 06:50 AM
And here's the simple truths.

1. FF7 is not being remade

2. FF7 will have no sequel

Rumours are terrible thing.

Kairikins
02-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by shakeystephens
And here's the simple truths.

1. FF7 is not being remade

2. FF7 will have no sequel

Rumours are terrible thing.

I havent heard it as a rumor, but its being said in OPS magazine that they are indeed making an ff7 sequel. .but you could be right as well but Ive seen it on more than one source as well (who know? lol)

Dark Vision
02-12-2003, 12:18 PM
From what I heard, the remakes/sequels, will depend on future development. If FFx-2 does well, they it'll be put into consideration. But its nothing hard to go on. And FFXI being the last. That's company suicuide. Kill their flagship series, put everything on a multiplayer game that some people will never touch. Its a scary thought.

Kairikins
02-12-2003, 12:25 PM
That makes a lot of sense. I know the FF1/2 are already for sure and I believe their release is *just* around the corner (April-ish?)

But as for the others. .theres nothing hard on it so you could very well be right on that.

kitty_neko
02-12-2003, 03:01 PM
as cool as it would be to see the older final fantasys with advanced graphics, voice actors, etc, i think they should be left alone... and i hope they will be... i mean, theyre CLASSICS, and you cant remake history, ne?

Arc_The_Lad
02-13-2003, 10:48 AM
I remember this from a long time ago.

Square wasn't just remaking FF7, they were doing VIII and IX for PS2 also, but i'm pretty sure they scraped it all (sobs)

*Shiva*
02-14-2003, 12:20 PM
First, Square DID announce plans to remake FF 7, 8, and 9 for the PS2, but has since but those plans on hold indefinately. Although I think it would be cool to see enhanced versions of these games (aka FMV'd scenes that weren't previously videoed), I's rather play an entirely new game than risk Square messing with my old favorites.
However, I do like the fact that they've remade 1 and 2 (FF Origins) and 5 and 6 (FF Anthology) for the PS mainly because FF2 and 5 were never really available in the US prior to these releases, and I like getting the chance to play all of them. Plus new CGs has meant new costumes! ;)

Second, there has been no offical plans for sequels other than FFX-2, although if it is succesful, I'm sure Square may attempt to capitalize on sequeling in the future. I just hope it doesn't become like Disney, rehashing sequels of all its classic movies rather than producing new ones.

And finally, there is no such thing as a planned FINAL Final Fantasy. FF12 is already in pre-production, and FF13 has been announced. FF is too profitable for Square to drop, and they've never mentioned any intention of doing so anytime soon. Final Fantasy is an oxymoron. :)

Kairikins
02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Ok. .I didnt post about FF7 being made into a sequel for no reason. .nor did I say this was omg for sure its coming out in 2 years. But I've attatched the article from OPS magazine that shows SQUARE is the one talking about doing the sequel. .not just some rumor being passed on but heres the link to the article about them talking about making the sequel

http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/celticstarling/ff7s.bmp

DJ(SiC)ness
02-16-2003, 01:03 AM
ya square announched the remakes of 7,8,9 before FF:TSW hit theaters but becuase they made like $10, and since it cost them a whooping 130 millon to make, there lost was a great deal. SO they scraped it and put out 10 and continued work on 11.

Now there a rumors that 11 may not hit PS2 for a very long time if ever in the US. Mainly becuase you need the PS2 harddrive...but sony isn't sure they want to risk it. Since sony is the ones who make the hardware for PS2 and not square. They don't feel its worth it becuase 11 is the only known game that needs the HD.

Square has stated that if FFX-2 does well, they next game they are looking at is 7. But they have the same fear as we do, they don;'t want to screw it up. So they are think of just going and remaking it. But they want to see how FFX2 works out.