PDA

View Full Version : Wing Tutorial Other than "Paperwings"?

kitsunered
01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I did a search for feathered wing tutorials on this forum and pretty much every thread points to the "Paperwings" tutorial. I have nothing against Paperwings, but I'm not fond of the u-shaped part in the back of the wings in the tutorial, so I was looking around for other tutorials that might have different techniques for making small feathered wings.

Can anyone point me to some other websites?

Feral
01-05-2006, 10:11 PM
I think the U shape looks kind of dumb too. However, you should have SOMETHING of a reasonable verticle length as part of the wing support, otherwise they'll be inclined flop back and forth.. moreso the bigger they are. If they're just itty bitty wings that don't reach above your shoulders or anything, then just forget the U part, and make it an "=" shape.

The Paperwings tutorial is probably the best method you're going to get. But think outside the box, lol.. you can change certain things.

Rem Akimichi
01-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Heh, I'm working on desings for some new wings myself. I really don't like those "U" shaped ones either. If I get it right, I'll be sure to help you out (as it is, they still look...odd...I'm not done just yet). But good luck on your search! If you find anything real useful, please share, I've been looking too and theres really almost nothing *cries*

Ghyra
01-08-2006, 03:08 AM
I may have something for smaller wings: heavy interfacing with an upside-down L shape that slides down the back of one's shirt/bra/whatever.
:the bottom of the harness looks kinda like a bow with two upside down "L" shapes sticking up from the top two corners of the bow.
__ __
| |
/\___/\
\/-~-\/ kinda like this.
The base for the feathers is made of non-fusable interfacing, the stiff medium-thick kind. Using a half circle or half oval of interfacing folded in half (that sounds funny ^_^), you hot-glue the folded interfacing over the top bent part of the metal L.
|

next: hot-glue the feathers to the interfacing in whatever pattern you want. Once cool, you can place the wiring down the back of your shirt or bra and it will look as if the wings are growing out of your back. Nifty, huh?