PDA

View Full Version : guilty gear help

otakuapprentice
01-06-2006, 12:46 AM
i am making a Ky Kiske costume for fanime, and the reference pics i have for it aren't the best ones i could get. does anyone have any good pics of him, especially the front and the back of the outfit(especially the back), and each seperate piece???

Chibi-kun
01-06-2006, 12:59 AM
yay for fellow GG cosplayers. I too am planning to make Ky's costume someday XD

otakuapprentice
01-06-2006, 01:02 AM
in that pic, is the top part like a jacket of some sort? it looks kinda weird

Chibi-kun
01-06-2006, 01:29 AM
i believe so. Alot of Ky cosplayers i've seen have done it as a coat thing and Ky does look like he wears layers.
I believe figurines of the characters are one of the best uses for reference XD
since their 3d

anyway, i found several more pictures of Ky.

silverwolf
01-08-2006, 06:34 PM
*cracks knuckles* Okay...
The best thing to do is break his outfit down.
-Undershirt
-skirt and belts
-gaunlets
-a load of belts!
-armored capelette
-armored boots
-armored gloves
-white pants

Cannonly, he wears a shoulderless white shirt with a belt across the chest, over that, a cape with a rolling collar. Around his waist, he wears a skirt attached to two belts. Both his skirt and cape has a short vent in the back
It's easier to cosplay with a coat to fuse the shirt and skirt together, less things to loose. It's best to at least wear two layers. Coat and cape.

Good luck.

otakuapprentice
01-09-2006, 12:26 AM
*cracks knuckles* Okay...
The best thing to do is break his outfit down.
-Undershirt
-skirt and belts
-gaunlets
-a load of belts!
-armored capelette
-armored boots
-armored gloves
-white pants

Cannonly, he wears a shoulderless white shirt with a belt across the chest, over that, a cape with a rolling collar. Around his waist, he wears a skirt attached to two belts. Both his skirt and cape has a short vent in the back
It's easier to cosplay with a coat to fuse the shirt and skirt together, less things to loose. It's best to at least wear two layers. Coat and cape.

Good luck.
the way you're putting it, it seems it is harder than it looks. if you could send me pics of each seperate piece laid out, it would help alot more, plus it gives me a better description of the way you are depicting it. the other thing i'm noticing is that the cape and the skirt seem to be kind of one complete piece/item(trenchcoat or duster)

Danzikumaru
01-09-2006, 03:16 AM
the way you're putting it, it seems it is harder than it looks. if you could send me pics of each seperate piece laid out, it would help alot more, plus it gives me a better description of the way you are depicting it. the other thing i'm noticing is that the cape and the skirt seem to be kind of one complete piece/item(trenchcoat or duster)

Well I don't know what on God's earth gave you the impression this costume was going to be easy...and Silverwolf is a bit of an authority on this, so I'd definately take her word on it...

http://ggxlol.highervoltage.net/ky/index.html I find it best to work from sprite galleries.

http://www.guiltygear.ru/images/endings/ggxxr_sm_ky1.jpg
http://www.guiltygear.ru/images/endings/ggxxr_sm_ja3.jpg

Those should help with the shirt underneath the capalette.
These pictures are also further proof that it is indeed a skirt/shirt and not a coat, but as Silverwolf suggested, it is indeed easier to make it as a coat (though not near as comfortable)

we hear at The Gear Project are currently in the process of completely recreating my Ky costume (originally commisioned from Silverwolf) and this time around designing for accuracy rather than ease...it really all depends on what you think you are able to do.

If you want some really good costume references, check out both Silverwolf and my gallery.

Michi
01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Is that Ky's GGXXReload ending? I never knew Jam had a thing for him... o_o;

I wore a friend's Ky costume before, and it's just a matter of getting all the pieces. Lots and lots of pieces. I was gonna make a Sol costume before, and you simply hafta break it down. That's what I do for any costume, though.

otakuapprentice
01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
in the end, would it be easier to make it as a coat or as a cape and skirt?

Danzikumaru
01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
in the end, would it be easier to make it as a coat or as a cape and skirt?

Yes, it would be easier to make it as a coat, but it would be more accurate and versatile to make it as a shirt and skirt. To make it as a skirt and shit, you actually create two different costumes, Holy Knight Ky and Casual Ky

silverwolf
01-09-2006, 10:30 PM
This costume IS a lot harder than it looks. His outfit is pretty complicated. If you want really good references, go get the GGX drafting book. That's how I learned how to break down his outfit.
My suggestion, if you want ease, is to make it a coat and cape. Find a pattern with a duster that has a tall collar on it. And for the cape, well, find something that offers a capelette and alter it. It would need a lower collar and a taller upper collar. It took me at least twice to get that part down right. And it took me about a year or so to get the whole costume down.

I don't have any pictures on how I do this. I just show the finished costume on my gallery.

Try not to look at the costume as a whole. Break it down. Watch the details. I suggest trying to master the coat first, then after that, go onto the cape (the hardest part I think).

otakuapprentice
01-09-2006, 10:56 PM
where can you find that at? i haven't seen it anywhere(wah!)....

silverwolf
01-09-2006, 11:05 PM
The book? I got mine on ebay. ^^

otakuapprentice
01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
was HK sol on the cover?

silverwolf
01-09-2006, 11:11 PM
No, it has Sol with a sickle. Mine at least.

otakuapprentice
01-09-2006, 11:24 PM
what is the full name of the book?

Master1080
01-10-2006, 02:07 AM
If it helps you any, I can break down my costume:

Top:
- Inner Jacket (Not accurate to the actual costume be gets the look)
- Cape
- Blue Armguards
- Gloves
- Blue Cross (I would like to hear how other cosplayers attached this thing. I used safety pins =P)

Bottom:
- Skirt
- White Pants
- White boots or shoes with boot covers.
- Shoe/boot Covers

Also, you need 10 gold buckles, 1 large gold buckle (for the back), and 6 medium to large sized gold buttons.

otakuapprentice
01-10-2006, 02:22 AM
three questions about your description:
1) how did you get the cape to stay on?
2) did you buy the pants or make them?
3)you need a gold buckle for the back?! where the hell does that go, because after lokking through all of my references, i have yet to see a large buckle on the back....

Master1080
01-10-2006, 01:01 PM
three questions about your description:
1) how did you get the cape to stay on?
2) did you buy the pants or make them?
3)you need a gold buckle for the back?! where the hell does that go, because after lokking through all of my references, i have yet to see a large buckle on the back....

1. Friction basically. I just made it heavy enough so it would not move. Plus, it was attached to the blue cross via snaps and safety pins. Maybe some velcro on the inside would help?

2. My pants were made. Buying is a good option to save time and work but make sure it is the right color.

3. http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/guiltygearx2/screenindex.html?page=6
Screenshot #117 (bottom left corner) has a good view of the back. You can also do this by firing up Training Mode in GG and pause the screen then press select and you can view the entire screen.

silverwolf
01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
The cape is easy to keep on, unless someone elects to hold you upside down. I made mine so all you have to do is slip it over your head and tuck the tail of the cross down your belts. It should stay there. I also sew my cross into the cape, at least two to three points.

It's easier to buy pants. I did. But I'm not 100% satisfied with mine,they're jeans, but you can't tell. I had trouble finding boy's white slacks.

Yeah, there's some sort of metal belt on the back of Ky's shirt on the belt. Maybe it's more of a clasp. I swear Ishiwari has a belt fetish...

If you can draw, figuring this stuff out helps alot. Mainly, it's altering stuff. btw, the book is called Guilty Gear X Drafting Artworks.

Danzikumaru
01-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah, there's some sort of metal belt on the back of Ky's shirt on the belt. Maybe it's more of a clasp. I swear Ishiwari has a belt fetish...

I agree. We counted the ammount of straps on Sol's outfit to get an idea as to how much money we need to spend...

...we counted 13....

otakuapprentice
01-11-2006, 02:12 AM
i don't think i've said it yet, but i really appreciate everyone's help. if i had just gone ahead and started working on it without consulting on it first, i probably would have screwed it up in the process. thank you all for the help and tips.

.....oh, and if you know any quick ways of making ky's thunderseal, i would appreciate those ALOT as well. and thanks again.

*starts figuring out how to keep all of my fingers while using the scissors and sewing machine...*

Danzikumaru
01-11-2006, 02:26 AM
i don't think i've said it yet, but i really appreciate everyone's help. if i had just gone ahead and started working on it without consulting on it first, i probably would have screwed it up in the process. thank you all for the help and tips.

.....oh, and if you know any quick ways of making ky's thunderseal, i would appreciate those ALOT as well. and thanks again.

*starts figuring out how to keep all of my fingers while using the scissors and sewing machine...*

Well, the guy who made mine made it out of wood....and he's quite a good theatrical prop master, so I wouldn't use his method unless you're compitent with the tools and ways of using them.

otakuapprentice
01-11-2006, 02:36 AM
...um, i' really not good with woodworking tools since i have bever used before in my life. i was hoping of going alittle bit easier and try to make it out of pvc pipe. i have heard alot of people have done it that way

otakuapprentice
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Yes, it would be easier to make it as a coat, but it would be more accurate and versatile to make it as a shirt and skirt. To make it as a skirt and shit, you actually create two different costumes, Holy Knight Ky and Casual Ky*

i think it would be easier, but it seems like a cop-out to me.....that, plus i already bought all of the fabric i think i will be needing so i will probably go for accuracy instead.:toothy:

Danzikumaru
01-13-2006, 01:23 AM
i think it would be easier, but it seems like a cop-out to me.....that, plus i already bought all of the fabric i think i will be needing so i will probably go for accuracy instead.:toothy:

Actually, we gave up on the accuracy over ease idea we had going in. It's a hell of a lot more difficult than it looks, so it's not too late to opt for the coat vairant instead...

We have some progress photos up of the Ky reconstruction we're doing on our cosplay group's live journal account

Links ahoy! http://www.livejournal.com/users/thegearproject/1970.html

otakuapprentice
01-13-2006, 02:27 AM
*looks at live journal pics*
does it have to have shoulder pads?

i think i'll stick with the accuracy method for now, since i have about 4 1/2 months to make it(and a bunch of other costumes along with it) to make it. if i screw up somewhere along the way, then i'll switch concepts and go for the variant, but until then......