PDA

View Full Version : Girl > Boy crossplay. ^^;;

Limeyaku
02-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Hrm..:rolleyes:

im considering cosplaying hyde from L'Arc~en~Ciel for the jpop dance at AnimeNorth...

I look REALLY silly with a black shroom but...*sigh* SO unfeminine...*_* but i guess that IS the point...

what about you girls though? do you get wigs or chop off your hair?? X_x

and what about chest-size? X_X do girls as guys not bother with it or wear something REALLY constricting? ^^;;

another thing...eyebrows...how many of you pencil on thicker eyebrows to look more ... boy-ish?

help. x_x

suggestions??

Lil Dreamer
02-11-2003, 02:35 PM
well, whenever i crossplay a female character i usually take estrogen pills. is that a bit extreme??

Nipple. :)

TsukiGuujin
02-11-2003, 02:35 PM
How tight are we talking here? Depending on how you strap em down, tight is no issue. It's STRAPPING THEM DOWN that's the issue. XD

I'd get a wig, personally. That's just me. Big wig fan. ^^;

As for eyebrows, I'm not really sure. O.o

~~Tsuki Guujin, who has actually gone to school as a boy before. XD~~

Hikaruchan
02-11-2003, 03:42 PM
I always go the wig rout - I've got more wigs then I know what to do with.

I have got dark eyebrows - so only time I do something with them is when I wear a light wig I try to thin them down a bit.

khamryn
02-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Errm.. I always strap em down... don't bother with eyebrows.. and used to use only my real hair but its hard to use my real hair for long haired guys etc.. u.u;

Pendrell
02-11-2003, 05:38 PM
I'll vouch for wigs, too.
And my eyebrows are big enough as it is... if anything, I try to make 'em look smaller. I'm a big fan of waxing, personally. ^^;
As for binding etc. my chest is also.. rather.. unsubstantial. So it's easy for me to conceal my femmy figure. North of the border anyway, I've got more than I know what to do with hinder-wise. ><;

kelldar
02-11-2003, 05:43 PM
on the subject, any one know of how to pull off convincing facial hair? ^^;

khamryn
02-11-2003, 05:46 PM
kell- no idea. @.@ me and my mom were talkin about it at one point because my friend was to cosplay Boromir, but I've managed to space what she said. ::will let you know if i find out again ^_^::

Rosiel
02-11-2003, 05:48 PM
> on the subject, any one know of how to pull off convincing facial hair? ^^;

What kind? Substancial like a goatee or too-lazy-to-shave-more-than-twice-a-week a la Kaji in Eva?

Spirit gum and really short pieces of wig hair scattered on your face is what I heard for the latter. As for the former, I have no idea how one would make those fake beardthings look more natural. Sorry. ^_^

Dr. Makoti Jean
02-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Bah either both, I would love to have short short hair though. Wigs are better too because it's already styled. I do anything to hide my bust to. I hate it when they are revealed under my shirt. x.X

I don't know anything about pulling of facial hair. Sorry Kell. ^^'

kelldar
02-11-2003, 06:35 PM
The too-lazy-to-shave Kaji look. lol, speaking of Boromir, I've been pondering doing Aragorn and that's the main thing keeping me from doing it.
I do like that wig hair idea though... I have lots of little random pieces in a baggie from one of my wigs I cut (NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY! lol) I may have to break out the spirit gum and do a test run. I'm going to do a couple of searchs... if I find anything I'll post a link here. thanks guys!

AnimeParty
02-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Definately go for a wig...!!!
And as for crest...I woulnd't worry about it. I crossplay all the time and it doesn't stop me (even with a D+ cup size).

L to the 3rd
02-11-2003, 08:50 PM
I use drafting/artist tape to ''tape them down'' it's easy to remove.

I actually started plucking my eyebrows
for my squall cosplay, but i do extend them slightly.

Michi
02-12-2003, 12:19 AM
When I first ever crossplayed I used duct tape around a tanktop beneath my costume.. And then when it got to things like Kuja I began using ace bandages, and have kept using them since. *nods*

TsukiGuujin
02-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Ace bandages are all right, but I prefer my top secret method better. XD

~~Tsuki~~

Chosuke
02-12-2003, 03:31 PM
I'm going to be cutting the hair for mine.. Since I REALLY need a haircut and they aren't to masculine.
i.e Kamui,Tsuzuki,Mouse..a few others..

Its going to be a mix of characters hair styles I think ^^;

The thing that has got me stuck is the binding.I have NO idea how.
I'm not the biggest girl chest wise,but i'm definitely not the smallest either..

TsukiGuujin
02-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Ace bandages work...I use a technique that works on up to D-cup chests (and maybe DD, we haven't tried it yet).

I myself am not that big (THANK GOD) but I don't like ace bandages.

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

Chosuke
02-12-2003, 04:11 PM
I tried wrapping my chest with stretchy fabric but it didn't work..mainly cause I had no idea HOW to wrap it..x.x;

is there a special way? how does it stay there..I had to hold one piece in place and fumble around x.x

TsukiGuujin
02-12-2003, 04:17 PM
PM me or AIM me (DeathGundamPilot) and we'll talk.

~~Tsuki~~

Rosiel
02-12-2003, 05:22 PM
I do it with the wide ace bandages (not the thin ones you see everywhere... once you try the wides ones you never go back). Basically you wrap it around yourself positionning your breasts up and towards your armpits then secure it with a safety pin.

Most ace bandages are self-stick so the safety pin is just for that, safety, as the bandages will stay in place on their own.

DO make sure you can still breathe comfortably and feel no pain. You might feel a little constricted, but you should still be able to breathe effortlessly. This is important, you don't want to faint in the convention. =)

Kairikins
02-12-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm glad I looked at this thread. .because I had thought about cosplaying Touga (have the height and the hair) but didnt know what to do about making it not look like he has breasts heh (Thanks for posting tips regarding that ^.^)

But if you have the right hair color. .but not length would it be best to stick with original hair, or go for a wig?

soshi
02-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Kairikins
But if you have the right hair color. .but not length would it be best to stick with original hair, or go for a wig?

it depends on how much of a length difference there is. like, if you have hair that falls to your chin or shorter, it would probably look better of you got a wig. I think shoulder-length or longer hair would be acceptable for Touga ~ but make sure you dye ALL of your hair, and do it like the night before the con or something. I've seen far too many cosplayers who dye their hair too far in advance and have colors fade or roots grow in, and it looks BAD.

Kairikins
02-12-2003, 08:02 PM
I'll definatley keep those tips in mind, thank you ^.^ the hair is just past the shoulders . .so maybe I'll be able to get away with no wig (yay ^__^)

Chas
02-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Definently the ace bandages with velcro! I always end up loosing the clips when I have one that requires those... XD

TsukiGuujin
02-13-2003, 12:46 AM
DUDE I've noticed that Ace bandages only work for smaller people. They work for me sometimes, not always. And I'm small in the chest, too.

Glad so many of you can use them! O.O

~~Tsuki~~

kelldar
02-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Hur I'm an idiot, right on the ACS LOTR page I always use for these things is a bit on doing Aragorn's stubble.
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Makeup/5oclockShadow.htm

If anyone wants to check it out. I like Rosiel's suggestion better, I think. I'll have to try both I suppose ><

Koumori
02-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Ace bandages work very well for me; I'm a B-cup. I find I have a lot more trouble with my hips than with my breasts, though, as I am hourglass-running-toward-pear-as-I-get-older shaped, with a very defined waist and curvy hips. Which is just swell most of the time, but absolute death for crossplay. I pad out the sides of my waist as though I were wearing a kimono, but most of the time that just makes me look even bigger.

Rosiel
02-13-2003, 10:06 AM
> I find I have a lot more trouble with my hips than with my breasts

I can relate. X__X Although I am loathe to call myself a pear.

Basically I try to find costumes that are hip-conceiling (the A-line of Schudig's suit, for example is just perfect for that), or at the very least that have dark bottoms (as it slims you down)... and make sure to never ever let people take a picture of me facing them fully. ^__^

Koumori
02-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel

I can relate. X__X Although I am loathe to call myself a pear.

Well, so am I, but at some point I have to look at my mother, and look at myself, and face facts. ;)

Basically I try to find costumes that are hip-conceiling (the A-line of Schudig's suit, for example is just perfect for that), or at the very least that have dark bottoms (as it slims you down)... and make sure to never ever let people take a picture of me facing them fully. ^__^

Yes - that tip on posing is one of the best I've ever heard. I'm amazed at how much of a difference it makes in pictures. As I'm not slim to begin with, I generally try to avoid anything particularly close-fitting anyway, but sometimes my hips just.. show. I am trying to make peace with this. :)

Yuna
02-13-2003, 10:51 AM
I can relate, Koumori. My breasts don't give me nearly as much trouble as trying to hide my hips/waist. I bound myself for Kyo, but then I realized that if I just wore a sports bra, it didn't make that much difference and it was /so/ much more comfortable. When you do your Yuna obi, you'll find out what a PAIN having a waist is becuase it will make the obi bunch and look weird. There needs to be something to hide a waist x_X;;;

Koumori
02-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Yuna
When you do your Yuna obi, you'll find out what a PAIN having a waist is becuase it will make the obi bunch and look weird. There needs to be something to hide a waist x_X;;;

When I do wear kimono, I usually pad out the sides of my waist since the ideal kimono body shape is pretty much cylindrical - there are special padded kimono slips you can buy, but I usually just tuck a couple of folded tenugui in under some of the inner belts (which themselves are designed to help achieve that smooth "waistless" line and give a flat surface for the obi). It's not a perfect solution, but it does help.

Chosuke
02-13-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm worried about my waist and hips.. but most importantly.. my thighs x.x;

I'm certainly not the skinniest girl in the world and I'm more on the fuller side when it concerns the thighs..
Is there anything I can do to get gangly male legs?

Koumori
02-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat

I'm certainly not the skinniest girl in the world and I'm more on the fuller side when it concerns the thighs..
Is there anything I can do to get gangly male legs?

Well, since we can't lose weight in just one place <g> all we can do is lose weight all over - which I know from long experience is very possible, but not very easy. Or else wear costumes that flatter the body types we have, instead of worrying about the body types we don't. :)

KnuxieChan
02-13-2003, 06:46 PM
I try and pick characters with long hair, cuz they're cuter =P

Karisu-sama
02-14-2003, 06:30 AM
Wig, wig, wig!!!! But my long hair is fine enough to disappear well even under short wigs...

Wide Ace bandages are my friends (NON-sticky only), but I'm not large in that area to start with (which suits me just fine)...

My hips aren't actually too many inches bigger than my husband's, but my waist IS 10 inches smaller than my hips, so I NEED to wear clothes that "hide" that fact.... Dang "good childbearing hips"....

Eyebrows: I wouldn't ever shape 'em on principal anyway, so I DO have nice bishounen eyebrows. in fact, they're thicker than my husband's.

Adding shoulder padding is a plus, although I already have reasonably "wide" shoulders for a girl... (so much for Dilandau's t-shirt version. :p )

Thighs: will never really be like a boy's, but lots of martial arts workout has trimmed them considerably.

Rosieal
02-14-2003, 10:02 AM
The best method that works for me when it comes to concealing my bosom is wrapping my chest with bandages. It makes my chest look more masculine and at the same time, it flattens everything out.

It's quite hard to conceal the hips since it's the pelvic bone that we are talking about. The only way is to add something to your waist or make your chest fuller and more masculine. The best way is to wear something that disguises it all-together.

It's almost impossible to achieve that muscular, male thighs... but then again most anime characters are on the slim side. To conceal the thighs, wearing those over-all girdles from Maidenform would probably work. The best option would be choosing characters that have costumes that doesn't fit the thighs.

Chosuke
02-14-2003, 10:24 AM
<quote>Thighs: will never really be like a boy's, but lots of martial arts workout has trimmed them considerably.</quote>

-slaps head- I forgot I just started a few new MA's and will probably be in better shape by then because of leg work out xD So that will help a bit.
Though I'm thinking of buying one of those underdress thigh to under your breasts nylon girdley things that take people down a few sizes.
The only problem is I don't know if they make them in my size though... I'm 5'1" ,size four and 112 pounds.
I know that it has to fit REALLY well on your body too,or else it will be baggy and not work.

Another problem for me is height. I'm pretty short and well..yeah. Bisho are rarely below 5'8" never mind 5'5"..
And I'm not sure whether to wear platforms like the japanese cosplayers do or what.. argh xx;

Karisu-sama
02-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Though I'm thinking of buying one of those underdress thigh to under your breasts nylon girdley things that take people down a few sizes.
The only problem is I don't know if they make them in my size though... I'm 5'1" ,size four and 112 pounds.
I think they do, but you may have to hunt, because I bet the manufacturers think most of their customers are bigger.
Another problem for me is height. I'm pretty short and well..yeah. Bisho are rarely below 5'8" never mind 5'5"..
And I'm not sure whether to wear platforms like the japanese cosplayers do or what.. argh xx;
Hmmmm... I'm 5'8.5. (That makes me not a good height for anime GIRLS, heh.) However, my husband is only 5'4, but he's pretty bishie... :p
I think if the proportions are good, it will matter less if one is "short" for a guy. Being a biological girl will give you longer legs than most guys your height, which will actually help the look.
Some bishie guys in anime ARE shorter. Omi from Weiss Kreuz is short, even Van from Escaflowne is pretty short...

Platforms can work well, especially if they are not too obtrusive / styled to call attention to themselves. One of my friends crossplayed Vash in platforms, and she's 5'10 to start with! O.O

Chiri
02-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Since I'm technically not allowed to do anything with my hair, I have to get a wig...and for Tasuki's hair, there was no choice but getting a wig ((he has crazy hair..and well..I don't))

As for the 'strapping-down-of-the-chest-area-portion'...I'll prolly have to do that..cuz Tasuki dun have boobies @_@

i happen to be 5'6''..and tasuki ish around 2 inches taller than me...so it works out okay ((until i crossplay a giant 8-foot nothin' charrie))

-chiri :thumbsup:

edit-forgot some height info ^^;;

Chosuke
02-15-2003, 09:36 AM
<q>Hmmmm... I'm 5'8.5. (That makes me not a good height for anime GIRLS, heh.) However, my husband is only 5'4, but he's pretty bishie...
I think if the proportions are good, it will matter less if one is "short" for a guy. Being a biological girl will give you longer legs than most guys your height, which will actually help the look.
Some bishie guys in anime ARE shorter. Omi from Weiss Kreuz is short, even Van from Escaflowne is pretty short... </q>

I guess you're right there ^^
How short is Van anyway? shorter the Hitomi? -wracks brain-
I'm supposed to be crossplaying one for AN as well as Elk,Tsuzuki,Hakkaii and Kamui ^^;

TsukiGuujin
02-15-2003, 06:34 PM
AGAIN. Must be nice, all the small-breasted people in the world. (even though I am one. XD)

Have you ever seen a DD-cup girl trying to crossplay with an ACE BANDAGE!? Excuse me, but...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I'm so glad I know professional crossdressers and transgender people, otherwise a couple of my friends would be out of luck. X_X

And I have no problems with MY hips, really. ^^;

~~Tsuki~~

Koumori
02-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by TsukiGuujin
AGAIN. Must be nice, all the small-breasted people in the world. (
Have you ever seen a DD-cup girl trying to crossplay with an ACE BANDAGE!? Excuse me, but...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*ahem.* We all try the best we can, using the resources we have available.

Ukayoru no Chou
02-16-2003, 11:20 AM
I really wish I could bandage muh chest up better -_-;; Im not exactly small ...ok so its not small really. Anyways, yea, I tried last night with some ace, and no luck for me ! ^^;;;;;

And as someone said earlier, to much backside, and muh hips are all there, but I don't look like a hourglass, more like a circle! XD
But I do have pretty large ,broad shoulders, and such, so I assume thats good for something . o_o;; *still wants to crossplay someone but ain't got a single clue on who really*

Hikaruchan
02-16-2003, 04:49 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Might be why my sister has never tried crossplay. I am smaller chestwise and have a hard enough time as it is.

Karisu-sama
02-17-2003, 11:49 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

My more well-endowed female friends who crossplay of course use stronger methods than an ace bandage - such as a theraputic back brace. I don't think they need or deserve any "AHAHAHA's" for it.

I'm so glad I know professional crossdressers and transgender people, otherwise a couple of my friends would be out of luck. X_X

Karisu's 4 pertinent words: San Francisco Bay Area. ^^

Chobrat: Hotomi is shorter than Van (because she is the hero's love interest), but his "offical stats" make him about 5'4". (Yeah, official stats on a DRAWN person, including blood type & such - that always cracks me up... :p )

TsukiGuujin
02-18-2003, 12:00 AM
>> My more well-endowed female friends who crossplay of course use stronger methods than an ace bandage - such as a theraputic back brace. I don't think they need or deserve any "AHAHAHA's" for it.

I'm not making fun of anyone. My best friend has a big chest and we have tried LOTS OF STUFF before finding a good method.

I was laughing because everyone acts like ace bandages work wonders. I think they DON'T. So, I guess I'm being kinda mean and spiteful. That's all. :P

~~Tsuki~~

Koumori
02-18-2003, 12:11 AM

I was laughing because everyone acts like ace bandages work wonders. I think they DON'T. So, I guess I'm being kinda mean and spiteful. That's all. :P

Please don't. We're all doing the best we can with what we have to work with, and being "mean and spiteful" doesn't help the discussion. If you have alternative suggestions to offer, please do. If not, please don't mock the rest of us.

TsukiGuujin
02-18-2003, 12:55 AM
>> Please don't. We're all doing the best we can with what we have to work with, and being "mean and spiteful" doesn't help the discussion. If you have alternative suggestions to offer, please do. If not, please don't mock the rest of us.

X_X
Yep, my post came off as much bitchier than I meant it to.

And someone took offense.

Cuz I'm SHOCKED.

Guuuuuh.... *gurgles and dies*

Excuse me, I have no tact.

Trust me, I'm not mocking anyone.

I also have no sense of on-topic.

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

Chosuke
02-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Hotomi is shorter than Van (because she is the hero's love interest), but his "offical stats" make him about 5'4". (Yeah, official stats on a DRAWN person, including blood type & such - that always cracks me up... )

xD its is kinda funny.
Stats on Van: Light weight paper,copic colored and scented slightly with a spray of adidas sport to make the ink set.

Can someone clear up one more question for me..is Ace bandage like gauze..or is it stretchy? o.o;

Rosiel
02-18-2003, 09:54 AM
First of all...

> Please don't. We're all doing the best we can with what we have to work with, and being "mean and spiteful" doesn't help the discussion. If you have alternative suggestions to offer, please do. If not, please don't mock the rest of us.

Koumori said it better that I could. Please think before you type. You were doing a lot better and being pleasant to talk to lately, try not to resurrect the problem we had a few weeks ago.

> Can someone clear up one more question for me..is Ace bandage like gauze..or is it stretchy? o.o;

It's thick and stretchy... and I would recommend the sticky kind. I had a non-sticky one on this weekend and it slowly migrated towards my stomach. That was supremely annoying.

> Is there anything I can do to get gangly male legs?

Wear black pants. Black is a very slimming color. And avoid white/beige/light ones which will make you look bigger than you are, especially on photos.

Chosuke
02-18-2003, 11:21 AM
ep..
And Van wear's beige pants in the series doesnt he? x.x

Karisu-sama
02-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah, Van unfortunately wears beige pants. I had to look all over to find some decent ones for my husband (lazy seamstress), but I STILL had to alter them.

ACE brand bandages, not store brand - accept NO substitutes!! They are thicker and stretchier and don't wear out as fast. I use one 6" wide one, and put a 6" store brand over it only because that one has better color. (Mine sometimes have to show.)

As for Rosiel's suggestion of the sticky kind, even with my daughter's help we just cannot seem to get those darn things to go on without sticking folds into themselves. Even from a brand-new roll. (We adjust a lot. ...Suggestions? ^^) She and I manage pretty well with the non-sticky, however. (She crossplays Kenshin.) Whatever works for you.

Chosuke
02-18-2003, 01:45 PM
I haven't seen them yet..I hope the ACE brand are in Canada x.x;

Hikaruchan
02-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel

> Is there anything I can do to get gangly male legs?

Wear black pants. Black is a very slimming color. And avoid white/beige/light ones which will make you look bigger than you are, especially on photos.

We were talking about how Lady Oscar has the supreme bad taste to wear white pants with every outfit we were interested in doing. There is no hiding anything in white pants. sigh

Umi
02-18-2003, 07:31 PM
While on the subject of looking male. What do you experienced crossplayers use makeup-wise?

You can slim down thighs and hips a bit with those control things you find in most lingerie departments, they come in full body suits or just seperate shorts. The bad thing is that you'll still have to pad your waist since they minimize your waist as well.

KnuxieChan
02-18-2003, 07:33 PM
I hate it that I'm not muscular/tall enough to do some crossplay >.O.. Then my parents want me to just cosplay girls.

PirateRogue
02-18-2003, 08:40 PM
On the subject of makeup-- i do recommend it. I use some nasty rubber mask grease paint that comes in a pallet of shades as a stiple, it stays on all day. You want to get your lips a shade or three less red, the grease paint does wonders on this. Males have thicker skin on the lips and around the eyes, so hit the eye bag area with blocker. All males have some recession of teh hairline that accentuates their wider forehead. Highlight the bones above your temple. If you're really hard core, shave your hairline back 1/8 to 1/4 inch in the temple region. Small wire rim glasses will also make your head look wider. Shaving your facial down also adds a little something. On the other hand, if your natural down is espcially heavy above the lip or on the chin, try a littel masquera, being careful not to get blotches on the skin. Sometimes it works.

I'm big in the chest and have never been able to bind, so I really on tight traditional bras under a strong sport bra, loose shirts, and bad posture. It's very convincing head on, but if you saw my rounded back in profile, you could see what my trick is.

Looking like a guy is something I found I could do quite by accident, I had no idea there was a subculture for it! What fun! Unfortunately, my face has aged past the point where I can get away with it believabaly, men's and women's faces do age differently, so enjoy it while you can!

Tsuki-- i'm interested in your binding technique. Do share!

--rogue
a simple space pirate;)

Pendrell
02-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Yeah, Tsuki. C'mon, what be the secret technique? *pokepoke* Tell us, tell ussss. We wantsss to know.... onegai? XP

TsukiGuujin
02-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Hee! *hordes her secret technique and demands bootlegged anime for it*

*thinks* I need Inuyasha, G Gundam, Excel Saga.... *keeps going*

XD

just kidding! REALLY!

Just toss a PM my way and
I'll prolly tell you. I don't want to post it publicly, you know what I mean?

Trade secret. Only sharing it for a limited time. ^^

~~Tsuki~~

Karisu-sama
02-19-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Shippo87
I hate it that I'm not muscular/tall enough to do some crossplay >.O.. Then my parents want me to just cosplay girls.
Awwww... ;_;

I let my daughters (6th grade & 3rd grade) crossplay.

Cocoa
02-19-2003, 01:08 PM
My parents don't care if I crossplay. Well, my dad gives me funny looks for all of my anime/manga obsessions. My mother doesn't care, and cosplays occasionally herself, even though she doesn't watch enough anime to really know the characters. PirateRouge, thanks for the make-up info. I was going to ask about that myself, because I know nothing about make up. And I sort of found out the glasses bit on my own ^^ I have a pair of sort of rectangular glasses that I really didn't like because they made my face look wider. Perfect for TB Sei and Tatsumi though.
-Cocoa

Chosuke
02-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Cocoa- I LOVE Tatsumi! Hope you post pics of your crossplay soon!

Rougepirate- Thankyou for all the tips! This thread has helped me a lot with some stuff I have been wondering about!

I have on more question though,is there any way you can make your chin look more squared?

Koumori
02-19-2003, 02:52 PM

I have on more question though,is there any way you can make your chin look more squared?

I imagine with the right combination of shading and highlighting and a LOT of practice, you might be able to, but that's a tough call. Check out Kevyn Aucoin's book "Making Faces"... that has a very useful section on highlights and contours. And it's just plain a good book.

Chosuke
02-19-2003, 02:57 PM
I've never heard of it..
But do you think a big non-specialty book store like chapters or Indigo's may carry it?

Cocoa
02-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Chobrat - Won't have pictures of me as Tatsumi until August...me and some friends are doing YnM for Shoujocon.

Koumori - Shall see if I can find that book...tips are always, always good.
-Cocoa

PirateRogue
02-19-2003, 09:53 PM
On the chin -- a small small touch of highlight on the corners of the chin, but you'll also have to pull attutide here-- put the tip of your tongue on the back of your bottom teeth and keep oushing forward, and practice in the mirrir what angle to carry your head at or you'll be doing the female primate "come hither" and you really don't want that.

Again, you've got to block out your lip color. experiment with foundation or concealer and chapstick until you get something tha doesnt leave a line or cake up.

I hope you are all of age. hate to think I'm contributing to deliquency of minors... but minors shouldn't have any trouble looking like boys.

PirateRogue
02-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Heres a pic of me actually trying to look like a guy. Notice the temples are shaved slightly and the sideburns have been shaved off. I'm also holding my head at a not quite natural angle, and the jacket i'm wearing has a lot of padding in the front shoulder area to fill in the hollow. This picture was taken a live broadcast of a local shock-jock radio morning show and teh dj would have people try to guess my gender. It was 1995, the goth/andro thing was in style. I don't really wear glasses.

http://www.theonering.net/barlimans/photo_album/large/568

Insert the obligatory denial here. Repeat after me : "...but I'm NOT GAY!"

Koumori
02-19-2003, 10:09 PM
I've never heard of it..
But do you think a big non-specialty book store like chapters or Indigo's may carry it?

If not, they should be able to order it for you, or you could get it off Amazon. That and his other book, "Face Forward," are amazing inspirations - and totally practical advice, too.

TsukiGuujin
02-20-2003, 12:28 AM
>>Heres a pic of me actually trying to look like a guy. Notice the temples are shaved slightly and the sideburns have been shaved off. I'm also holding my head at a not quite natural angle, and the jacket i'm wearing has a lot of padding in the front shoulder area to fill in the hollow. This picture was taken a live broadcast of a local shock-jock radio morning show and teh dj would have people try to guess my gender. It was 1995, the goth/andro thing was in style. I don't really wear glasses.

PirateRogue, I love you. XD

You really DO look very male there.

When I cross dress, I tend to look more bishounen than MALE. You know? But I'm ok with that. Like I've said, I make a PRETTY boy (whereas I make a very plain, boring girl). I'm more for ambiguity than actual male-ness, you know? But you do WONDERFULLY and I commend you. *GLOMP*

~~Tsuki Guujin, who needs to take picture of herself as bishounen~~

Karisu-sama
02-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Ah, yes. I go for pretty-boy too. (A bit old for "pretty girl", I think - but anime boys are often more fun anyway.) I STILL don't think I "pass", but hey... I can do the body language.

TsukiGuujin
02-20-2003, 12:51 AM
Karisu-sama, you are the best ever Dilandau. So you pass, in my book.

*had to say it, sorry I'm OT*

~~Tsuki~~

Cocoa
02-20-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by PirateRogue

I hope you are all of age. hate to think I'm contributing to deliquency of minors... but minors shouldn't have any trouble looking like boys.

Hate to break it to you, but I still have a few more years to go. Of course, I go to public high school in America, so it's kind of hard to corrupt me further. There are kids who bring their kids to school. And you really, really look like a guy in that picture. It's almost frightening. Especially because anime has made me pretty good at guessing genders.

Me, I couldn't pass for anything for a pretty boy currently, mostly because I don't quite look old enough, but I don't care and end up crossplaying characters like Seishirou and Clow and Tatsumi anyway ^^ My Subaru has been mistaken for a guy though, several times by other students at her college. I find it highly amusing ^^
-Cocoa

Chosuke
02-20-2003, 06:50 AM
Quite a few more years to go here too! ^^;
Oh well..

Koumori-Thanks for the info! I'm gonna see if I can order it!

Koumori
02-20-2003, 07:57 AM

Koumori-Thanks for the info! I'm gonna see if I can order it!

No problem! "Making Faces" is out in paperback, too, so shouldn't break the bank.

I look like a girl.

PirateRogue
02-20-2003, 10:45 AM
well, I always was boyfaced, so with a little effort, yeah, it DOES scare people. You have to laugh about it, those poor cash register workers saying "here's you're change, sir...oh!ooh! I'm so sorry!!!!", and I have to reasure them that its no big deal, I'm frequently mistaken for a guy, happens all the time. I only hear that twice a month now. It was twice a DAY when I was in my 20's.

I think I look like a drag queen when I put girl makeup on *ack!* Definately boy-faced. If you heard about Adam Ant being at Dragoncon, that was me.