PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Putting on a wig.

Pages : [1] 2

Katasha
01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
My website is being changed so I will have the tutorial on here for a bit.

Making a wig cap: (and yes you NEED a wig cap for your wigs. Not only does it hold your hair in place so it won't poke through the wig, it also keeps your wig clean.)

Making a wig cap:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig1.jpg
Take a normal knee high stocking; a new one is best.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig2.jpg
Tie a knot little more then halfway up and pull it tight.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig3.jpg
Cut off the excess.

Now how to put your hair up all depends on what kind of hair you have. If you have really thick hair you want to part your hair into two pieces and twist it up the back of your head. You can also braid the pieces and pin them into your hair, French braiding works as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig4.jpg
If you have really long hair you want to twist it like before but circle it around the crown of your head. This spreads out the hair so you have no large bump.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig5.jpg
If you have thin hair you'll be fine just twist it up into one piece like a French knot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig6.jpg
Now to put on the wig cap you want to grab the front piece in between your teeth and pull it up over your hair and down the back of your head. You always want to go from front to back to catch your bangs. You don’t have to keep it in your teeth I just find it easier if I have no one else around to help me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig7.jpg
While pulling the cap back over your head, use your thumbs to stuff the hair under the cap.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig8.jpg
Pull it down as far as you can. I have a rather low hairline so some of my hair does stick out the back and that's normal. Just try and stick as much under the cap as you can. If you are worried about the little hairs, you can use Gel or Hairspray to stick them to your head and under the cap.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig9.jpg
Pull the knot forward and tuck it under the front band.
Use your fingers to massage the hair and spread it around so you don't have a large lump in the back of your head.
Putting on the wig:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig01.jpg
Lean forward and rest the front band on the wig in the middle of your forehead pulling the wig back over your head. Now this does not work on wigs that are top heavy or really styled. If you have one like that, place the wig gently on the front of your forehead and gently pull it back over your hair.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/WIG02.jpg

There are two tabs on the side of each wig that should line up perfectly on either side of your head. Make sure they are right in front of your ears.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/WIG03.jpg
Brush the wig and your ready to go!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Katasha/wig04.jpg

Cora
01-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Great tutorial - thanks! ^^

ilikeyaoi
01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Wow, this is great. I'll be sure to put it into the...dead... FAQ.

Sarcasm-hime
01-10-2006, 01:03 AM
If the wig is heavy or oddly balanced you'll also want to secure it with hairpins. I have very long and slippery hair and find that simply twisting my hair up isn't secure enough; I put mine in two or three braids which I pin close to the scalp, which keeps the hair from sliding around and also provides an anchor that I can pin the wig to once it's on.

YunaLenne
01-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Thank you for the tutorial ^_^

TribalButterfly
01-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Wow... I've been putting on wigs for years and I never knew it was so complicated! :) haha! But that was benneficial, thanx! I'll try to keep all that in mind for the next time i put on one of my wigs! :)

Chibi Ice Wolf
01-10-2006, 06:20 PM
That's a great tutorial! I tried to explain that a couple times while doing a cosplay panel but it can be hard to show... I'll make sure to link this to folks next time someone asks me why they need a wigcap! XD The only thing I do in addition to that is to secure it in a few strategic places with bobby pins (especially in the front cause the bangs want to slip upwards, especially with bangless wigs it's vital!)...can't go without em myself, though I know others do so I guess it's personal preference. ^^

KaiJule
01-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks for this tutorial! it rocks! ^__^!!

Jiah
01-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Very helpful! I have pantyhose wig cap, but it tends to slip alot, so I think I'm going to make another one when I get my hands on some knee-highs. I'm definately bookmarking this on my computer :)

Genesis_13
01-11-2006, 10:18 PM
I had a wig cap and then lost it, and I just realized I can use knee-highs...awesome!

SamuraiArren
01-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Thank you soooooo much! I plan on cosplaying as Haruno Sakura, but i couldn't figure out how to keep my hair from showing underneath the wig. This tutorial helped me so much.

Hitomi chan
01-13-2006, 10:29 PM
YAY!! I like this tutorial, I even posted the link in the spanish forum :D thank you very much.

If you have short, (shoulder lenght) thick hair, a french braid would help you a lot. A friend of mine has A LOT (really a lot) of hair and she found out that the best way to keep her hair is with a unique french braid.

Katasha
01-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Knee Highs= god.

Thanks for all the kind remarks guys, glad It helped a few people!

KazeChan
01-13-2006, 11:43 PM
wow! Great tutorial! Thank you! <3 I really needed that actually ^^; I have really long and thick hair so- thanks! :D great tutorial!

madame morte
01-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Awesome tut! I have pretty short hair, so I have to pin up my hair because it isn't long enough to twist/put into a pony tail.

I used this tutorial for my sister, who has very very very long hair, and it worked pretty well!

YoshidaEri
01-24-2006, 10:25 AM
This is VERY helpful! Thanks for making it :)

Kilala
01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Wow! This is going to be soooo helpful for me! Thank you very much :) .

Kukkii-san
01-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Great tutorial!

I always use a pantyhose & wrap the legs round my head (tuck the ends under the seam of the pantyhose or fix them with hairpins). This makes the cap tighter and helps keep the hair from sagging down or bulging out at the sides and back.

I use hairpins to secure the wig in the front / side front as well as in the back, this helps keep it in place even when you have a "big" head with thick hair. Just pull it down with force! ^^

Setsuna Tenshi
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks! It's very helpful ^)

I usually use just two braids around my head *with no any cap*

Chocolatecovrd
02-07-2006, 06:40 PM
thanks! i was lost but now am found!!

Yunalicia
02-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Some one should post how exactly to pin a wig on cause I am lost when it comes to that. How do you do that without actually ruining the wig and having pins show?

LadyRayne
03-06-2006, 08:18 PM
If your wig is styled using advanced foamcore or bun techniques you can't use the flip it from front to back technique, you need to put the back of your hands pushing out on the sides of the wig scalp and slide them around to the front over your head so your hands cover your eyes then as you work your hands around the wig scalp you end at the back pulling the back scalp over the nape of your neck then letting it slide up collecting the "whispies"
-Leelee

UltraViolet_Tofu
03-13-2006, 02:54 PM
omg this is so helpfull thankies!

Rydain
03-27-2006, 12:34 AM
If the wig is heavy or oddly balanced you'll also want to secure it with hairpins. I have very long and slippery hair and find that simply twisting my hair up isn't secure enough; I put mine in two or three braids which I pin close to the scalp, which keeps the hair from sliding around and also provides an anchor that I can pin the wig to once it's on.My hair isn't quite as long as yours (I recall that yours is knee-length - mine is 35" from hairline to ends), but it is thick and slippery, and stuffing hair under a cap without anchoring it doesn't work for me, either. Pin curls got it all flattened down enough to wear a wig with limited give in the back, but it was a tight fit, and pin curling required lots of help from a friend. I need to learn a flattening style that I can do myself.

Do you find that French braids work better than regular braids? I can braid my own hair without any trouble, but I never learned to do French braids. I bet I can learn before Otakon, though. :)

AnimatedPoison
03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Some one should post how exactly to pin a wig on cause I am lost when it comes to that. How do you do that without actually ruining the wig and having pins show?

I was wondering the same thing! I've never used hairpins (just bobbypins), so I don't really understand how to put them in, or how to conceal them on short wigs.

animeBecky21
03-28-2006, 10:10 PM
For the most part I just put my hair in a ponytail, on the third time I wrap the holder around I don't pull it all the way through - just leave it looped. Depending on the wig I use a big bobby pin to pin that to the top of my head, then put the wig on over and pull the pin back out. Bpbby pins, two on each side usually is enough to hold it.

I tried the knee-high stocking cap trick and it gave me a pretty bad headache combined with the bobby pins. In fact, against my judgement I did it again after my cosplay to wear the same wig clubbing, and sure enough the headache came back. About three drinks later it was gone again, but that's not the wisest option to cure a headache -

TransurrealisTristan
03-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the tutorial.I bought a swim cap in December and it's hard to stuff my hair in,so this will come in handy.Hopefully I do all the steps right...

Kittytifa
04-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks the tutorial helped me a lot ^-^

tara_davis
04-21-2006, 07:42 AM
How to make a wig cap (abbreviated version):

1. Go to a wig store.
2. Say "I would like to buy a wig cap."
3. Pay for it.

Yes, modifying a knee-high would be cheaper, but if you have an extra handful of quarters, you might as well just buy one that's ready-made. It's not like the craftsmanship judge is going to inspect your wig-cap-making skillz. ;)

kabuki_KILLER
04-22-2006, 12:48 AM
:confused: Could any wig experts show me a pic of their wig and how it lines up with their hairline (with the wig hair pulled back to reveal the whole forehead and ears)? I've so far never been able to put on a wig successfully and I fear it's either that I suck at it or I have a gigantic head. No one else seems to have such a problem.

EDIT: Nevermind! It fits! Woot!

witty username
04-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Would a swimming cap work just as well as the pany hose?

yayahan
05-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Would a swimming cap work just as well as the pany hose?
A swimming cap is not as breathable as a wig cap and you definitely want to be as comfortable under a wig as possible. I would stick with the wig cap!

hitension
05-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Hello, I need some help... :(
I tried to make a wig cap in this fashion and the stocking was not big enough for my head. My head is not abnormally large (I hope not? x.x;;) but it's nowhere near fitting on me.
Is there something I'm doing wrong ? @.@;;;

Katasha
05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
I have had that prob a few times as well. but I have a smaller head. there are 2 ways I fixed it. One I got the cheepest wig cap I could get, I got a pack of 10 pairs at walmarl for like $5 nice and cheep so they strech alot.

Or simply find stockings for larger wemon. Sometimes they are called size D or some such. But you can find kneehigh stockings in diffrent sizes if you look hard. and really strech it out when you first get it, works best for me.

hitension
05-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I have had that prob a few times as well. but I have a smaller head. there are 2 ways I fixed it. One I got the cheepest wig cap I could get, I got a pack of 10 pairs at walmarl for like $5 nice and cheep so they strech alot.

Or simply find stockings for larger wemon. Sometimes they are called size D or some such. But you can find kneehigh stockings in diffrent sizes if you look hard. and really strech it out when you first get it, works best for me.

Okay thanks so much ^_^ I think I'll go to wal-mart then and get both and try both XD!

Minamino Haruka
05-08-2006, 04:58 AM
How do you do this if you're putting on a wig that's lighter in colour than your regular hair colour, which also happens to be short? I bought myself a
light-coloured (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/l_i_g_a_y_a/For%20LJ%20Posts/COSPLAY/PROPS-Wigs/Image001.jpg) wig (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/l_i_g_a_y_a/For%20LJ%20Posts/COSPLAY/PROPS-Wigs/Image002.jpg) so that I can cosplay Sailor Mercury of PGSM, since I'm a natural brunette. My hair's length is actually as long as the wig's, too. Thanks heaps!

Sorry if I'm not much on the pictures, my camphone doesn't have space. Besides, I'm going to try to steal my mother's digicam later so I can take more and better pictures.

hitension
05-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I went to Wal-Mart and could not find a wig cap there, even asking :/
So I have a hairnet instead now (like.. the thing lunch ladies use. lol) And it works somewhat but not as much as a wig cap seems to be. (pics in the gallery)

Er, this is awkward, but would a do-rag work? o_o I don't really know much about them but they look like something similar. Has anybody here tried it? :D

Katasha
05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Oh no no no wal-mart doesnt have wig caps, thats where I get my knee High Nylons that I use too make wigcaps. I started doing that because there was no place in my city too get wig caps, so I just started making them out of Knee high stockings. I find the cheepest kind I can ( mine some in a bright pink box and theres like 10 pairs for $4) and then I just cut them too shape like shown in the tutorial.

SkippingSith
05-16-2006, 03:43 AM
I've actually found (especially for people with thick layered hair) that pinning your hair up into five loose pincurls--basically small loose buns with two bobby pins to hold it in place (two at the front sides of your head, two closer to the back, and the remainining hair in one at the base of your neck) works really well, and provides a smoother surface under the wig cap. That way you have places for bobby pins to catch in at different points when pinning the wig on.

Great tutorial, though; exceptionally helpful for my friend's wig-putting on (she has long, fine hair and pincurls don't work as well in her hair XD)!

Prysm
05-20-2006, 05:03 AM
I've got a long wig that's fairly heavy, and at the last con I went to, it kept slipping and pretty well ruined the costume :/
My question is, how do I use hair/bobby pins to pin my wig in place? Do I go through the mesh of my wig, and through the wig cap? I'm a total n00b at wearing wigs, so any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Really spell it out for me please ^^'

Kitsoru
05-21-2006, 10:23 PM
great tutorial! my con is next weekend, and I was ADHD enough to forget to get a wig cap ^^; now I have one! yay!

AquaHaute
05-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I am a girl with waist-length hair, and I want to cosplay Solid Snake. How do I put hairpins in such short hair without them showing? For that matter, will a short wig really hide all my hair sufficiently - and will the men's wigs on Cosworx fit a woman's head, or am I better off with a very short-haired women's wig (more of a mullet!Snake rather than clean-cut!Snake)?

ChicoChan
06-10-2006, 09:07 AM
I know alot of people who shave the bottom parts of their hair near the nap of the neck so they won't poke out of wigs. I'm bad but I can't be that hardcore ^^ I like my hair hehe

chicagochic
06-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info. FYI, this website I always use for wigs has wig caps for very cheap - www.bhowigs.com - they also have great wigs for reasonable prices and they feature all the hottest manufacturers - look at Forever Young - they totally rock.

BebopCola2021
06-17-2006, 02:43 AM
I haven't been on the forums in a looooooooong time. This tutorial is really really helpful!! I have long thick hair, and I didn't know to use a wig cap when I did my first cosplays (you can see my awful wig use in my gallery). I learn so much from the forums...I need to check here more often, tee hee. :bigtu:

siead_lietrathu
07-09-2006, 06:23 AM
heh. here is an odd question. because of other cosplays (and just the way i am) my hair will only be about an inch long. will i have to deal with slipping wigs or is there a way i can secure it (and, no, i am not willing to use ducttape)

Hanyaan
07-09-2006, 12:11 PM
A wig cap helps wigs stick to your head better. I've also heard of people using spirit gum to help wigs stick to their head; your milage may vary.

Winter Divinity
07-10-2006, 04:17 PM
I have very very long hair, but I have no idea how to use hair pins to keep my wig on. I just can't figure them out.

Sarcasm-hime
07-10-2006, 04:50 PM
First put your hair up securely; I like to put my hair (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=41981) in two or three braids, coil the braids flat to my head and and then pin them in place. This provides a good anchor for the wig. I like to use a fishnet-type of wig cap so the pins can go through it. Once the wig is, use hairpins along the edges wherever you can, securing the wig to your hair underneath.

Here's how to use hairpins: unlike bobbypins, which only work when they can close completely and hold small pieces of hair flat, hairpins are shaped like a "U" or "V" and work using opposing forces.

To secure a hairstyle, you insert the hairpin into the edge of your braid/bun/whatever, with the pin pointing straight towards your head, then when the tips of the pin touch your scalp you 'scoop' upwards, catching some scalp hair with the pin. Then you finish inserting the pin so it's lying flat to your head (aim the tips upwards a little bit for more security). Because it's being held in place by some of the scalp hair as well as the braid/bun hair, the pin can't move, and in turn it keeps the hairstyle secure.

It works the same way to secure a wig; you insert the pin through the wig into your hair underneath, then scoop upwards and finish with the pin flat against your head. :)

Mejin Rairi
07-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I've only worn one wig. Since my hair is shoulder-length, I just pinned it up and put the wig over that, it worked rather well...

Kayoshin
08-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks! Very useful! :bigtu: :angel:

Seraphy
08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
I was just wondering about wig caps. Wig caps come in all sorts of colors, but is there any you're suggested to use? Like if you have black hair, use a black wig cap, etc.

I'd go with the stocking technique from the first post, but I highly doubt my mom would let me use one of hers (if she even has one).

Sarcasm-hime
08-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I like the fishnet-type wig caps because you can pin through them easily to secure the wig to your hair.

Seraphy
08-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, I'm planning on buying everything from one site. Like wig, accessories, wighead and all from CosWorx. So I just wanted to know if it made a difference the color of a wigcap.

kabuki_KILLER
08-12-2006, 02:21 AM
I have a question about how much will fit under wigs. I'm planning to get the dread/braids like a lot of African americans have. I want the fine kind, not huge ones. Will that still fit under wigs or is it too bulky?

strawz
08-13-2006, 06:36 AM
I did this yesterday and it worked perfectly XD
thankyou <3

sweet_kat22
08-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Oooh this will help me a lot. Every time I put on my Jack wig it is a mess! I also need to make a dark cap because its either spend 5 bucks for panti hose to make a cap, or spend 60 bucks to die my hair black. But this looks a lot easier then I thought it was.

I think I may buy some dreads to add to my wig too.

Sarcasm-hime
08-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Kabuki_Killer: I have knee-length hair and can still fit it under wigs, but just barely, and I have to coil and pin it pretty tightly. Fine braids may make it easier, but you probably will be limited in the kinds of wigs you'll be able to wear. Poofy haired wigs will be more forgiving, but anything smooth or straight (especially short and straight) will run the risk of weird lumps showing through the wig, or the mesh showing. You may need to modify wigs to deal with that if it's a problem.

Seraphy: Different coloured caps do help a bit, but if you have hair a very different colour from the wig's and there is a risk of the mesh showing, you may want to put a panel of matching spandex into the inside back of the wig. The reason is that wig caps are made of pantyhose material, which becomes almost transparent when it stretches over your head, so the colour matching isn't very effective when trying to disguise, say, really dark hair with a light wig, or vice versa.

Selene6235
09-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks a lot! This is the first year I've worn a wig because I could just style my hair for the others and this really helped me. Without this I probably would have gone out and bought a really expensive wig cap when you can get the same effect with knee-highs! Who knew??

Kaniki
09-23-2006, 08:06 PM
This tutorial tis teh awesomeness! I am new to cosplaying and I only have one wig {And it's shoulder length - My hair is mid-back}, and I couldn't figure out how to keep my hair up! >.< But this has helped a LOT! My sisters couldn't even tell I had the 'wig cap' on! ^_^

Thank you very, very much! =D

Huntress_Rip
09-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Thank you, this tutorial is really helpful. I only have one teensy problem. I have rather short hair and bit and pieces of it keep trying to escape my wig cap(plus my wig is has no bangs). Any suggestions on how I can get my hair to behave?

Katasha
09-30-2006, 04:26 AM
A good strong hairspray is what I use on my best friends who have short hair. I just hairspray the trouble spots back before putting on a wig cap. Or pinning the hair down with bobby pins may work.

Muyami-sama
09-30-2006, 07:37 AM
This is very helpfull, thanks ^_^.

kawaiifuu
10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
If you have really thick hair you want to part your hair into two pieces and twist it up the back of your head. --->

I have really thick shoulder length hair and twisting my hair up like this really isn't hellping me. There's still a big lump at the back of my head and I can't put the wig on. Please help

SkippingSith
10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Pincurls. Split your hair into five sections (two at the front, two at the back, and one at the nape of your neck.) Twist the hair around so it forms a flat bun, and insert two bobby pins at opposing angles to secure in place. Put a wig cap over this. I feel your pain. I have the same problem. With my hair DOWN, wigs fit fine, when it goes up--problems.

kawaiifuu
10-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks a ton
I'll try it out and see if it works, I'll let ya know

Eda
10-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Very clear tutorial! I used to have a problem with keeping my hair before using a hair cap.

Thank you very much!!

starcat
10-08-2006, 01:04 PM
How do you keep little stray bits of hair (like the stuff in front of your ears and at the back of your neck) from showing? It won't stay tucked up and the style I'm wearing is in a ponytail.

It's also light purple, and I have dark brown hair. @_@ I don't generally use any sort of makeup, so how could I go about hiding those? I'm pretty sure I can hairgel it into place but there would probably still be some showing.

Katasha
10-16-2006, 12:58 AM
My hairline is kinda crappy for wigs, no matter what I do the hair at the back of my neck and infront of my ears will stick out. But easy to solve, This time of year is pefect for it. Ger some of that really cheep halloween makeup that matches the colour of your wig and just rub it into your hair where it shows, not too much now you dont want it melting onto your costume but blend a bit in where your hair is showing( when your wearing the wig cap) and then put on the wig, it should would fine.

starcat
10-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Ahh, that makes sense! Thank you!

Kukkii-san
10-21-2006, 04:35 AM
a friend of mine always uses colored hairspray (the halloween / carnival kind^^) to color her hairline. this is great for short wigs.

but what i do is:
a) use extra strong hair gel to slick back my hairline before putting up the hair
b) stuff the loose strands under the wig cap using the handle of a comb (or any kind of long stick.)

btw, i always use a pantihose (size S), put it on exactly like the "knee-high stocking" wig cap, then wrap the "legs" of the pantihose around my head (careful not to wrap it too tightly, otherwise you're sure to get a headache) and secure the end with pins (i usually cut off the "feet" of the hose).

i LOVE my pantihose ^_~ it's a great way to keep the hair underneath the cap from sagging down to the sides, and to match the wig cap more closely to your head. be sure to use a small pantihose though.

Prota-Girl
10-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh Awesome idea! I just put my Hair up into a ponytail and mut my wig over it. But I should try that before the con! Thankies for the tips!!! :megaglomp:

Yapparii
10-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Okay, I have very, very, boy-ish-ly short blonde hair. And I'm putting on a waist-length black wig.:D Any tips for making it stay?

grr_i_bitew
11-27-2006, 08:48 PM
this tutorial helped me a lot thanks soooo much

nishi_e
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I read this tutorial before trying on my first wig, and... well, some problems.

I have really thick hair, so I tried to put it in two pieces like it said. Other problem: -_-;; I have a big head. I could not grip the cap in my teeth and get it to stretch all the way around my head. I ended up putting my hair in a ponytail, but there's still a lump around the back that sticks out. I am getting my hair cut this week, but someone please correct me on this. Is it maybe that I just can't do it by myself? The wig is really short and I have shoulder-length hair.

Kukkii-san
12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
don't grip the cap with your teeth, just hold it with one hand (positioned on your front hairline) and pull it over your head with the other hand. if the cap is too small, just try a pantihose as i suggested.

a ponytail will make the worst lump you can get. try making SEVERAL really flat hairbuns (it's best to have someone do this for you).

when wearing a short wig, make sure your hairline is slicked back really well (in the front AND back) so your own hair won't stick out all too much (the only way to avoid this completely is by shaving your neck & temples *lol*) you can also style the wig in a way so that a few strands cover the hairline in "critical" areas.

i have a "big" head as well and i know some wigs may appear really small & tight at first, but i can put on any of them. this one's a good example:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=828388
just make sure the "foundation" (pinned-up hair & wig cap) is well-secured and as flat as possible, and don't be afraid to use brute force when pulling the wig over your head *lol* you need to pull it down all the way in the front & back and secure it (to the wigcap) with hairpins.

you can do ALL of this on your own, however, it's a little easier and takes less time when you have someone do this for you (who knows what they're doing), especially when you need to make a complex updo because of your thick hair^^

tsuoi_kaze
12-18-2006, 11:26 PM
I read thorugh the thread and if these questions were asked already, I'm sorry, I must have misread a post.

The first question I sort of feel stupid asking beacuse I'm sure it has a very obvious answer:
1. What if the style you need the wig to be in forces your ears to show? In the tutorial pics your ears were crammed into the wig, and the wig was covering them up anyways. I have alot of short, fine hair around my ears that I really don't want to show, yet my ears must be out.
2. I have shorter pieces in front of my hair. They come to just below my chin and are about half the length of the rest of my hair, and no matter how hard I try they refuse to go into a ponytail of any sort. Any suggestions on what to do with those?(NOT cutting them off)

Any help is appreciated!

starcat
12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
For the first one, you can either clip/shave them or hide the hairs with makeup. As far as the second part goes, maybe you could try little french braids for the short pieces. :)

Blood_Seal
01-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Thank you so much and my friend will now kiss your feet!

:heart:

london2191
01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I tried that pantyhose trick but when I move my head, like, normally it snaps off and so does the wig. How long from the foot does it need to be? Like, the spot where you cut for the wig, how long should it be so that it doesn't slide off? *this is when it's not on your head and just shriveled up like a raisin. xD*

Kukkii-san
01-09-2007, 07:47 AM
i've never ever had that problem. i cut off only the toes of the pantihose so i have the legs to wrap around my head, but as normal wig caps don't have any legs at all and end right at the top of your head, the legs can't be the only answer to your problem. have you tried different sizes of pantihose? (or just buy a pre-made wig cap). oh, and have you fixed the cap with hairpins /bobby pins? this is compulsory.

demon_alchemist
01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Another way to hold back hair is with a backwards french braid, though I don't know how well that would work for really long hair.

angelkawaii
02-08-2007, 08:56 PM
This helps a lot. ^_^

Aquapearl
02-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow thanks I was wanting to learn to do this ^^

Alexia Ishtar
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
For the first one, you can either clip/shave them or hide the hairs with makeup. As far as the second part goes, maybe you could try little french braids for the short pieces. :)

What makeup would you suggest being used to hide the hair?? I'm not a huge makeup fanatic >< but I'm also not very keen on clipping/shaving the hair by my ears that tends to stick out no matter what I do ><

Nohirexi
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Thank you so much for this >>;
Me being the horrible wig-putter-onner [ Yeah, it`s not even a word >>; ] that I am, this will definetally be helpful. ^__^;

infinitydragon
02-21-2007, 12:36 PM
what about dealing with a fringe?
the hose trick works with the rest of my hair apart from my fringe as doesn't go in easily and i end up with a odd bulge at the front.

*my fringe is a bette page "v" shaped one, very good to annoy hairdressers with!

Animated Fool
03-12-2007, 07:51 AM
YAY. So helpful.

I'd say the only problem is with the wig cap, is that after time it looses its stretch and then just doesn't work anymore, thus I must get another stocking to make another one, does in my case cause a slight problem. (I own...um...no stockings basically, and if my mum found that I've had to take new ones from her and cut them up, she'd be mad, very very mad.)

XD's all around.

Devi 1313
03-19-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible to pin a wig down while wearing a wig cap? My new cap that I bought is different from my old one (the old was like flesh-tone fishnet with skinny elastic at the edge) and slips off kinda easily. I also have very short hair right now, if that matters.

Sarcasm-hime
03-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible to pin a wig down while wearing a wig cap? My new cap that I bought is different from my old one (the old was like flesh-tone fishnet with skinny elastic at the edge) and slips off kinda easily. I also have very short hair right now, if that matters.

I prefer fishnet-type wig caps for this reason; they're easier to pin through. However if your hair is very short now, it may be impossible to pin the wig to your hair securely. You may have to resort to using toupee tape at the hairline to keep things secure. Or depending on how short your hair is, try making tight pincurls to provide more of an anchor.

kisu-koneko
03-21-2007, 11:33 AM
; ; this is great! thank you so much, ive looked everywhere for a white wig cap and didnt want to buy one online but now i can just make it :D

PockyPants
03-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi! :D
Thanks for the tutorial, its lots of help!
But I have a question: what if the wig doesnt cover all of my hair?
My wig covers pretty much everything except the area above my ears. :(
Here (http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/9761/image44iw5.jpg)'s a picture, because Im bad at explaining XD

GirlyAnimeGirl
03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Wow, great tutorial! I guess that is a really good way to put on a wig. I always had hard times putting on wigs but this makes it look easy!

-Tidus

Berenice
04-14-2007, 04:10 PM
At:

Pull the knot forward and tuck it under the front band.

Is it really necessary to pull it and tuck it? (the end)
My head stocking doesn't have a knot @_@

Angathol
04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I've been doing it wrong the whole time? o_o Huh.

MiaYagyu
04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I've not usually had a problem with just pulling the cap over my hair and shoving my hair under the cap. I did though have a recent problem with Die's from Dir en grey [KR] Cube PV's wig. (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/SukebanMiaYagyu/Sakura%20Matsuri%20and%20Salisbury%20Trip%202007/100_0214.jpg) I did buy the wig from an asian store, and I'm...well...not asian. But, I was shown how to pull my hair (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/SukebanMiaYagyu/Random%20Pics/149494624_491017949_0.jpg) back into two small pigtails at the base of my neck and (I guess you would say) pincurl them. The pincurls stayed til I took the wig off...the cap was another story. But, I have found out that the baby/sky blue wig caps are made for people with small heads.

I normally go to a Sally's Beauty Supply to get my wig caps, heads and hairnets. The price for the wig caps usually run about $1.99 for a pack of two (and they're neutral colors), the wig heads about $2.95 for a styrofoam head, and the hair nets about 99 cents.

Thanks for the tutorial! I appreciate it! ^^

Akusesu
04-22-2007, 12:51 AM
ahhh im a noob with wigs, so the tut will help alot! and i can understand it! lol
but question!
do wig cap color matter?

Kawaii_Omi
04-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Whats the best comb to Detangle/ Brush wigs? o.O

Prota-Girl
05-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Ok I have to try that today! o.o

RiKashi
05-01-2007, 04:22 PM
wow thanks for that, it helped a lot! ^_^

bohemianbeauty
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm seconding Kawaii_Omi's question about combing through a wig. What does everyone recommend? Mine is about 2.5 feet and it gets tangled quite easily so I wanted to know what people use for their wigs-- does a brush or particular comb work best? fingers? washing it? Suggestions welcome!

Honey Usagi-chi
05-16-2007, 05:39 PM
It works the same way to secure a wig; you insert the pin through the wig into your hair underneath, then scoop upwards and finish with the pin flat against your head. :)

Wouldn't that damage the skin top of the wig? O-o;

Arienette
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't that damage the skin top of the wig? O-o;

No, you would put the hairpins through the mesh part of the wig that the wefts are sewn into, not the skin top. You can't stick hairpins through the skin top, since it's solid. :P

Hairpins aren't sharp enough at all to go through skin tops anyway; they have rounded/blunted edges like bobby pins, not sharp like straight pins for sewing.

The Commodore
05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Nice tutorial. I don't have any wigs planned right now, but I may need to wear one in the future, so I've been wondering what to do about short hair. My hair is about halfway down my ears on the sides, to my eyebrows in the front, and a bit longer in the back, and it's pretty thick. If I were to wear a wig, would I just pin it back so it doesn't show? I could also slick it back with gel or something I suppose.

Kukkii-san
05-21-2007, 04:01 AM
Definitely use tons of gel (as well as hair pins / bobby pins) to control short hair. When pinning back / up short hair, I take one strand at a time and use one or two bobby pins to keep it in place (instead of making a bun or several buns, which won't work if your hair is very short.) Just make sure the pins lie flat on your head and don't stick out at odd angles.

Lumasnati
05-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Question:

I have a wig that is tied back in a low pony tail. How do I pull my hair back and hide my wig cap from being seen?

I have shoulder length hair with thick curls...

PeachyMana
05-22-2007, 06:08 PM
I have a problem..my sisters hair is really long like down to her waist and its really thick..how do i get it into a wig cap without all those crazy flyaways sticking out..(and without wrestling her big head into the wig cap)..major prob..help!

Ju-tan
05-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Thank you a lot for this great tutorial >_<.
I had hard time trying to figure out how to put on my wig :(

Kukkii-san
05-25-2007, 09:28 AM
@PeachyMana
This question has been addressed and answered in this thread quite a few times. Basically, you slick the hair back with lots of gel to prevent fly-aways and put the hair up in two or more buns (probably more if her hair is very thick and long) to make the hair lie flat against her head. Use the handle of a comb or some sort of stick to push fly-aways under the cap BEFORE putting on the wig.

@Axel...
The best way is to style the wig in a way so that is covers your hairline (for example, make a rather loose, low ponytail, or add extra wefts around the wig's rim, or have some shorter hair hang down from the wig in the back of your neck, as if the wig had natural fly-aways.)
Other than that, just make sure to follow the tutorial for putting up your hair, controling fly-aways and putting on the wig, and use color hair spray on your own hair if it still keeps poking out in the back.

PrincessZelda06
05-25-2007, 04:04 PM
ah, i have a question. can any wig be pulled into a pony-tail and still look good? or do i need a special wig, because i was playing around with my sakura wig and couldnt pull it up into a pony-tail without the mesh/netting (not sure what its called) showing. so can anyone help me out?

Operator
05-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Woo!
Thanks. My grandma gives my old (not used, mind you) pantyhose, and i finally have a use for them! XDDD

PockyPants
05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok, so my wig keeps sliding back and looking bad. Hairpins will keep it in place, right?
I have some hairpins but am unsure of how to use them with my wig cap, do I just poke them through the wig cap? won't that make the cap have a bunch of holes?

SeikoMoon
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Has anyone tried putting a Amanda, Godiva, or even LONGER wig on by flipping it? I did...and not only did it fall off, but the clips yanked my hair along with it. -I still HAVE my hair, thank god, but one VERY sore scalp.- I did it pretty slow...
I like the idea of the flattened buns for my hair, since it's thick, chest lenth, and very curly at the end. I'll try that before I try the flipping again. But if you've done it with a long wig, does it work? Or should I just slide it from the front backwards like I was doing it before I tried the flipping?

Kukkii-san
06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
I never flip wigs before putting them on. I don't think this works with long or heavily styled wigs. I just 'slide' them on from front to back, gripping the wig tightly with my thumb in the front and pulling it down in the back with my other hand. I then let go and pull some more, on every side, until the wig sits as low on my head as possible.

NekoMimiChan
06-02-2007, 08:53 AM
great tutorial!

Anikiki
06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
This tutorial has helped me a lot; especially since i lost my wig cap. I have plenty of stockings.

stitch201
06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I also have a question...

You said to brush the wig?.. The wig that I use for Neji (From Naruto) is a bit cheap, and when I brush it hair comes out, so I don't brush it and now it looks really crappy... Do all wigs do this, or is it just mine because I got it from a costume shop? If so, is there any places that I could get a good wig that's on the cheaper side? Thanks! ^^

Katasha
07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
All Wigs shed hair, but cheeper ones do shed more. If you want to brush your wig just take your time, grab some hair at the top and softly brush down it but don't let it tug at the wig, like brushing a little child's hair.

Sarcasm-hime
07-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Ok, so my wig keeps sliding back and looking bad. Hairpins will keep it in place, right?
I have some hairpins but am unsure of how to use them with my wig cap, do I just poke them through the wig cap? won't that make the cap have a bunch of holes?

I use a fishnet-type wig cap so I can pin through it. :) You can pin through a regular cap, it does leave holes but that doesn't matter so much. It's just easier to pin through a fishnet style one.

Kukkii-san
07-03-2007, 03:50 AM
You may want to try bobby pins if you're having problems with hair pins. Personally, I prefer bobby pins (the short, flat ones, NOT the ones with the 'wavy' outline) to secure my hair, the wig cap, and the wig itself. Try to get pins in a matching color (black or brown and white ones are a good start) and put them in places where they're invisible (basically, where they're covered by the wig's hair.)

animesharpie
07-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Thankyou so much this is extremly useful next year im going to cosplay has sailor venus and i might need a wig.

MusicalFantasy
07-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Definitely use tons of gel (as well as hair pins / bobby pins) to control short hair. When pinning back / up short hair, I take one strand at a time and use one or two bobby pins to keep it in place (instead of making a bun or several buns, which won't work if your hair is very short.) Just make sure the pins lie flat on your head and don't stick out at odd angles.

^.^ Very useful tutorial! Especially with pictures! (I'm a visual learner) I've never worn a wig before so this is handy. I have very smooth and short hair, but do I have to use pins to hold it back? I mean, I plan on using pins to help keep my wig on, and I don't way my whole head covered in metal, so, would using lots of gel like something out of Dracula work well enough? Or is it safest to use pins too?

-GlacialMai-
07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey, I tried this with knee-highs andit was WAY too tight! I don't know if I did it wrong, it's too small, or my head is just too big, but it was impossible! I'll have to buy a wig cap...

MuffinMan
07-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I ran into the same problem Syd-chan. I had to deal with it in the heat for AX. The heat combined with the restriction on my head almost made me sick on Day 2. I ended up pushing it back past my hair line so that the elastic wasn't directly on the skin. Leaving it on your hair provides some protection. Unfortunately, I didn't figure this out before causing some damage to the skin on my forehead and almost passing out =[

It was fine when I tested it out, but I didn't account for the extreme heat and wearing it for a full weekend >_>

Katasha
07-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah thats a problem a couple people have run into with my knee high stocking thing. I have a really small head so I never had a problem but another thing you can do if you still want to use this method is find the Plus size knee high stockings. They are made for larger people, and there for are larger themselves. I use them on some of my friends with larger heads and they love them.

Or if you can find them. Thigh high stockings that don't have the plastic at the top that is used for keeping them up. those work great for bigger heads.

Bubble872
07-13-2007, 03:31 PM
wow thank you for making this! this is great! i already have wig caps so i don't need to make them, but thanks! :D

Silantre
07-22-2007, 08:31 AM
I've never had to use pins before on a wig as they sit really well on my head, however the pony tail I'm making with this next wig makes it waaaaaaaay to heavy at the back to stay on, so where would i put the pins and how would I attatch them,, this is a wig someone else did but mine's pretty much the same

http://images.cosplay.com/photos/11/1107220.jpg

my wig is several feet long and soo is very heavy, would pins be enough to even hold it?

(A styrophone cone is used to keep the hair in an outstadning pony tail)

Kenlink Wilder
07-25-2007, 06:29 PM
But what about a chacter wig like Edward Elric will this tutorial work as well?

venus
08-12-2007, 10:35 PM
My hair is short, chin length, or a bob cut even.. I was trying to put my hair in a wig cap (the knee stocking), and the back hair keeps coming out.

So do I pin my hair with bobby pins, and then put the wig cap on?

And when you pin the wig down onto the wig cap, how are you able to find the pins when you're taking it out? Is there a trick to it, because I was trying on the wig and then when I was taking it off, it was hard to find where I stuck in the pins.

If anyone can give me a step by step of putting short hair in a wig cap, pinning the wig on, and then taking it off, I'll be so very greatful~ :japan:

wordstoasong
08-13-2007, 11:08 PM
That was great help. Thank you!

DivineSage
08-14-2007, 12:33 AM
My hair is short, chin length, or a bob cut even.. I was trying to put my hair in a wig cap (the knee stocking), and the back hair keeps coming out.

Pin your hair before you put the wig cap on. Just pin up the parts that tend to fall out, then put the wig cap on and pin it down some more.

As far as finding the pins, there's no trick to it. You just kind of have to remember where you put them. Or in my case, pull the wig off, and the pins will be where your head hurts the most.

Kukkii-san
08-14-2007, 04:52 AM
There are a few spots where you typically put the pins: On the temples, in the mid-back and side-back - if you have a heavy or small wig, or one that has a visible hairline, you'll probably need to use more pins though. Really, just remember where you (always) put them and if they won't come out, pull them out using a stick or the metal handle of a comb (the same I use to stuff stray hairs under the wig cap, btw.) You can usually also feel the pins when you touch the hairline with your fingers. (This is true for bobby pins at least.)

If you're using pins in the wig style that you don't want to accidentally pull out when taking off the wig, use differently colored pins (a contrasting color for fixing the wig to your head) and have a friend remove them for you.

As for the short hair problem that came up earlier, and on whether to use pins or not: It's really important that all of your hair is stuffed safely under the wig cap before you attempt to put on the wig. If gel is all you need and you don't need pins to keep your hair out of the way, that's fine, but make sure the hair doesn't form a lump, ride down, or slip out of the wig cap when you're moving your head. It should be firmly in place and all stray hairs should be taken care of BEFORE putting on the wig itself.

As for the size problems: I never use knee-high stockings, as I have a pretty 'big' head. Try using size S or XS pantyhose - they come in all colors of the rainbow, which is great for cosplay wigs! I cut off the feet only and wrap the legs around my head to further secure the cap (still, be careful not to wrap it too tightly.)

FaithInDeidara
08-15-2007, 12:52 AM
hun, what happend to the tutorial? (just when i get a wig, too...)

Kukkii-san
08-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Dunno... 0_ô

Basically, you put massive amounts of gel into your hair (especially on the hairline) and use hair pins or bobby pins to make an updo that lies as flat against your head as possible. It depends on your hair's length, but two buns will work for most people (part the hair and twist each 'pigtail' until it makes a neat bun on top of your head. Fix it with 3 or 4 pins.)

After that, you can put on the wig cap / knee-high stocking / pantyhose. I recommend using a stick or the handle of a comb to stuff ANY stray hairs under the wig cap. Secure the wig cap with a few pins (on the temples and in the back.)

If you're wearing a white or party color wig, you may want to color your hairline with some non-permanent color spray or temple white (theatrical makeup for hair) as you can usually still see a bit of your own hair on the temples and in the back of the neck. (Unless you want to shave that...)

Pull on the wig from the front to the back (grip the front with one hand and hold it on a level with your forehead while you pull the wig all the way over your head), adjust it (you may need to pull on it firmly before it covers all of the wig cap right down to your natural hairline) and secure it with a few pins in the front and back (the temples are most important.) If it hurts or twitches, remove the pin and put it back in until you've found a spot where it doesn't hurt. Basically, you'll want to pin the wig to the wig cap, not necessarily to your own hair.

No pictures, but I hope it helps^^

Katsura
08-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Sorry everyone; Katasha's cosplay accounts were hacked yesterday morning and the hacker was such a nice person to delete all of her pictures and put up clever little messages like this one. We're working on getting things back up and running but it's going to take some time. If you like, pass questions and things on to me and I will make sure she gets them.

Thanks!

Kukkii-san
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
What the... I feel SO sorry for the person who did this. Say hi to Katasha from everyone of us, and tell her to not let this get her down!

TsukikoAiko
08-18-2007, 10:30 PM
What the... I feel SO sorry for the person who did this. Say hi to Katasha from everyone of us, and tell her to not let this get her down!
I second that, and thank you Kukkii-san for posting what you could of the tutorial, it helped a ton.

FaithInDeidara
08-19-2007, 03:47 AM
wow...well that sucks. poor girl..

Katsura
08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
The tutorial (or one like it) is still up on www.katashacostumes.com at least :D

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 11:15 AM
:p loser!
Geez, that sucks ):

For those of you who haven't seen the tutorial yet:
You can always go to Sally's Beauty Supplies and get a wig cap.

Katasha
09-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey guys I'll have it up again in the next few days. So sorry about all this. Stupid attention seeking ex friend

Aquapearl
09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I know who that feels someone hacked into my myspace and no one knows my password excpet me. They changed it and everything and I think even sent some bad comments to people I hate when that happens. Stupid hackers.

TwilightMoon
10-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I didnt see the tutorial..... its not there at all

Katasha
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I am currently remaking it so its even better and packed full of more info but here is the old one here on my website

http://www.katashacostumes.com/tutorials.html

LordMoufMouf
10-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Uhhh, does anyone have the link to the tut? I don't see it...

LuciaDuvant
10-23-2007, 07:28 PM
thanks for the tutorial - I'm gonna have to try it that way - I have very long thick hair, so I usually mini braid it and then pin each braid to my scalp with a hairpin. So the tutorial sounds much easier.

fireblackdragon
10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Thank GOD for your tutorial. I not only have LONG hair (nearly to my hips) but I have extremely THICK hair too.

Sakuraally
11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
oh i have the wig in your tutorial!

fightstar
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I know this thread is a little old, BUT I REALLY enjoyed the tutorial. Thinking about doing a cosplay that involves a wig. I have NEVER done one so I guess now is as good a time as any to get started. This at least shows you how to put it on.

Now all I need styling, buying, and maintenance advice.:toothy:

Again thanks for the tutorial!

Itachi/Lfanatic
12-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Cool tutorial!:bigtu: but Lets say I do get a wig cap and it all goes smooth-how to I anchor the wig with the wig cap on? L is so confoozed >.<

ran_ichihara
12-25-2007, 10:10 AM
very thanks!! >w<!

clover_keat
01-28-2008, 10:55 AM
invaluable tutorial<3
I used it and it saved many of my cosplays<3
Now I have paypal I've bought wigcaps, but it's still a good idea on how to put it on and such^^

Kirsta Nadaime
01-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I didn't get a result when i searched the thread so I hope no one asked already... but what are the "ear tabs" for?

natylopez
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
The tutorial is great, but I'm having trouble securing a hair extension... you see, I have shulder-lenght hair, and I wish to make a high ponytail and add to it a hair extension, so the ponytail is longer. The thing is that the extension (which is actually a wig, because it has the exact same colour I was looking for) is too heavy and pins are not strong enough to secure it to my hair... I was wondering if there was something else I could try to make it stay up.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Sarcasm-hime
02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
The tutorial is great, but I'm having trouble securing a hair extension... you see, I have shulder-lenght hair, and I wish to make a high ponytail and add to it a hair extension, so the ponytail is longer. The thing is that the extension (which is actually a wig, because it has the exact same colour I was looking for) is too heavy and pins are not strong enough to secure it to my hair... I was wondering if there was something else I could try to make it stay up.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Try sewing some hair combs or clips into it, rather than pins. That's how the ponytail extensions you can buy attach.

flutephan
02-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Wow, that was so helpful! xD I was about to ask how to stick my Aerith (Final Fantasy VII) hair into a Naruto wig! xD

THANKS SO MUCH~~ <3

natylopez
02-18-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks a lot Sarcasm-hime, you were really helpful!!

^^

slywrite
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, it really helped! :D

Kairi_11
02-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Thata really helped!
Thanks so much :]

Animangafreak
02-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Thank you so much for the tutorial! I've never worn a wig in my life and I've now figured out how to! I feel so smart! XD I've got shortish hair (down to my chin) and I'm getting a Kyo and Edward Elric wig. So at least no long hair hassle for me.

MasterSwordette
03-08-2008, 04:43 PM
i'm in agreement with everyone else, what a wonderful tutorial ^_^ I will be getting my first wig by next week and I was wondering how I was going to get this on, and then this thread popped up, my question is, do short haired people still need the cap, or is the cap absolutely necessary. I hope this hasn't been asked before, any advice would be helpful please, thanks ^^

Kukkii-san
03-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Definitely use a wig cap. It prevents the hair from poking through the wig undermesh, it's something you can anchor the wig to (with hairpins or bobby pins), and it helps keep your hair in place - especially when you're short haired (because you can't just put your hair in a neat braid or hairbun to make it stay put.)

In addition, use a lot of hair gel to slick your hair back and pin back lose strands (if needed) before putting on the wig cap.

Yubel
03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
ARIGATO!!!

Seriously, was SO worried about shoving waist-long brown hair w/pink streaks into a white wig for my Bakura cosplay... wahooo!! ^_^ Arigato gozaimasu yet agian!

Illexxxi
03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow..Great tutorial! I love it!

Now, shoot me if it's question has been answered already, but does it matter what wig cap color you have? I'm cosplaying as Vexen and his hair is blonde and mine is brown. If I use a blonde wig cap, will my brown hair show through the cap?

MasterSwordette
03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
thanks very much Kukkii-san, that helped me out so much ^_^

Ghost613
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Wow..Great tutorial! I love it!

Now, shoot me if it's question has been answered already, but does it matter what wig cap color you have? I'm cosplaying as Vexen and his hair is blonde and mine is brown. If I use a blonde wig cap, will my brown hair show through the cap?

No, the blonde (rather, beige I'd imagine) wig cap is designed to keep the brown from showing though you wig. It'd work the same way with blue or pink too.

Illexxxi
03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Awesome <3
Thanks, Ghost!

Mintsu
03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
That was very helpful, especially since my hair is so long & thick. xD
Thank you. < 3

sakurasilver
03-26-2008, 06:04 PM
great tutorial!!! it helped so much with the wig i have!!!

Kasia-chan
04-22-2008, 05:32 AM
cool :) very helpful :)

AeonBlue
04-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Great tutorial, thanks! And thanks for the great input Sarcasm-hime.
I always wondered why my wigs never looked quite right, but your tutorial totally helped to fix that, thanks!

GuinevereGradua
04-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I seem to have all the problems at once--big head, slippery long hair (nearly waist length), loose bits that won't cooperate, and annoying hairline issues. >.< My wig is long, but I need it in pigtails, which will show the hairline and loose bits; my wig cap fits, but it won't stay on, even with a headband, and it's driving me crazy; at this point I'm beginning to consider hair color instead. But thanks for the tutorial and the suggestion about Halloween or other makeup to match the wig color for the escaping bits--I'm going to have to do that, I think, as well as braid my hair in about twenty million braids, pin it up, and hairspray it into submission. Yeargh. :P

FoxieDen
05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you so much =D

Midnight_Toker
05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
i would imagine this doesnt work for wigs already carefully styled =/ the flipping part would destroy it.

Kukkii-san
05-12-2008, 05:59 AM
You don't need to flip your wig to put it on. I recommend NEVER to flip your wig, actually, no matter whether it's styled or not (long hair will tangle... it doesn't matter with rather short, flippy styles though.)

BorgmanJayce
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I couldn't read the tutorial as it crashed the other IE windows on the PC I was using at my local library [my laptop's out of commission at the moment so I'm having to use the PC's here to check emails and visit eBay amongst other things].

Anyway, what I want to know is, how do I use a wig cap properly as I bought one with my Afro wig which I got from Cosworx and it seems to be quite big. Do I need to cut it to fit?

Also, with the wig itself, with the part inside with the two clips that join together, do I use that at the forehead to support the wig or the back of the head...

Sorry if these are newbie questions but I'm worried I'll make myself look like a total dork if I put on the wig wrong in any way.

Katasha
05-18-2008, 03:44 PM
See thats the on going debate everywhere. I flip my normal wigs, not the ones I have styled like sailor moon or anything. But I find the wig goes on better for me if I flip it, the hair falls where I want it and my bangs don't get caught, but you gotta play around with your wigs, see what works for you.

Sarcasm-hime
05-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I seem to have all the problems at once--big head, slippery long hair (nearly waist length), loose bits that won't cooperate, and annoying hairline issues. >.< My wig is long, but I need it in pigtails, which will show the hairline and loose bits; my wig cap fits, but it won't stay on, even with a headband, and it's driving me crazy; at this point I'm beginning to consider hair color instead. But thanks for the tutorial and the suggestion about Halloween or other makeup to match the wig color for the escaping bits--I'm going to have to do that, I think, as well as braid my hair in about twenty million braids, pin it up, and hairspray it into submission. Yeargh. :P

I have super-long slippery hair and I only usually need two braids coiled up tightly and pinned. :)

Also, with the wig itself, with the part inside with the two clips that join together, do I use that at the forehead to support the wig or the back of the head...

Those clips are for adjusting the size; they usually attach to little gaps in a ribbon at the back of the wig.

Sakky_Uchiha
05-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Wow this tutorial really was helpful. Thanks a ton. n_n I just got through with trying it out and it worked real well. [:

GuinevereGradua
05-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I have super-long slippery hair and I only usually need two braids coiled up tightly and pinned. :)

My hair stayed put just fine with two braids and a whole lot of hairpins. ^^ And a little hair spray for my rebellious bangs.

wanabecosplayer
07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
hi sorry its been a couple months since the last post but:

i did the stocking wig cap and if i leave it on too long it will give me a headache. i would take tylenol but it makes me sleepy. are the wig caps from cosworx or anywhere else less tight around your head? i have no problem with regular headbands so i figure its the tightness around my head
i have a big head so that might be the reason its too tight. but i can get it on no problem it just causes headaches. i tryed to stretch it out but it made no difference.

kracken29
08-07-2008, 02:49 PM
hi sorry its been a couple months since the last post but:

i did the stocking wig cap and if i leave it on too long it will give me a headache. i would take tylenol but it makes me sleepy. are the wig caps from cosworx or anywhere else less tight around your head? i have no problem with regular headbands so i figure its the tightness around my head
i have a big head so that might be the reason its too tight. but i can get it on no problem it just causes headaches. i tryed to stretch it out but it made no difference.

I have a wig cap from CosWorx.com & it's not tight at all.. it's very stretchy & alot more comfortable than using a stocking.

riotgirl8268
08-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, the wig caps from cosworx are really nice, i acutally prefer theirs to any of the others things i've tried. Wig caps from sally's are to tight for me, and the stocking thing didn't even work lol. But my cosworx wig cap is awesome :D

Kukkii-san
08-08-2008, 05:14 AM
Suggesting size S pantihose once more^^ Just get a cheap, skin-tone pair of thights (no sheers) and cut the feet off.

Inufan078
08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Thank you for the tutorial ^_^ Would a wig cap from cosworx work better, or just as well?

riotgirl8268
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
They work just as well as other wig caps, and i'm sure they work just as well as the stocking method :)

LoveTheBomb
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
You saved me money, which is the highest form of praise I can gather at the moment.
<3

Blasphemy Blue
08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Alright, I call surrender on this one. XD

I have a ton of hair. It's long -and- thick, which makes it a problem under wig caps. I managed last year, since I had one huge spiky wig and I just kept adjusting my white one, but hair was always coming out the back and the wig kept slipping back. This year I have another short wig, and I really want this one to stay on well and keep all my hair under it. It looks like I have a huge head when I just pin all my hair up under a cap, and it's too big for the wig cap.

I just need some recs on what I can do to fix this, technique-wise and such. No hair cutting, obviously.

Sarcasm-hime
08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Alright, I call surrender on this one. XD

I have a ton of hair. It's long -and- thick, which makes it a problem under wig caps. I managed last year, since I had one huge spiky wig and I just kept adjusting my white one, but hair was always coming out the back and the wig kept slipping back. This year I have another short wig, and I really want this one to stay on well and keep all my hair under it. It looks like I have a huge head when I just pin all my hair up under a cap, and it's too big for the wig cap.

I just need some recs on what I can do to fix this, technique-wise and such. No hair cutting, obviously.

Sadly this is something all of us longhairs have to deal with. I sympathize; I often feel like I have a gigantic head when all my hair is up under a wig. Here are some methods I've found work on my thigh-length (used to be knee-length) hair:

- tightly braid hair in two or more braids, then coil the braids as flat as possible against the scalp, mostly at the back of the head where wigs are most stretchy. Pin securely with hairpins (they're U-shaped, unlike bobbypins, and work much better. My hairpin tutorial is here (http://sarcasm-hime.net/wearingwigs.html)). I also like to do a few pin curls at the top front for anchoring the wig to keep it from slipping back (see below).

- sew in a small haircomb or wig clip at the front of the wig to secure it; really helps with the slippage, especially if you've put some texture in your hair at front.

- Fishnet wig caps are far superior IMO because they allow you to pin through the wig and into your hair underneath for extra stability.

- Sometimes wigs are just not big/stretchy enough for all our hair to fit underneath, or they stretch so much that the netting shows. In these cases I recommend slicing down one of the vertical ribbons (most wigs have vertical ribbons that secure the horizontal wefts) and adding an inch or so of new wefts to add extra room. You may also need to line the wig with matching spandex to minimize show-through.

- Use a strong hair gel to secure the wispies that like to sneak out from under the wig cap, and if necessary use hair mascara or theatrical makeup to disguise the bits that still show.

texaspillager
08-25-2008, 11:14 AM
i have a problem. i have normal shaggy guy hair (i am a guy). that being said a freind of mine just made this AWESOME axel wig for me. the problem is that i am having trouble getting the thing to cover all of the wig cap. its a cosworx wig and i dont have time to change ive heard using bobby pins helps but im a clueless noob when it comes to hair. also my hair is too short to tie up how do i get in the cap it keeps sticking out all over the place.
HEEEEEELLLLLPPPP!
and i have a very large head apparently
THE COSPLAY GODS FROWN!!!!!!!!!

Nguyet
08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks! I was having some trouble putting on a wig because my hair is a bit long ^__^

seira-chan
09-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Thank god this is a sticky! XD
I swore I'd saved this on my computer, but I guess not - I really need this. XD
I wore a wig for my last cosplay, and I didn't use a wig cap - I have short (chin-ish length?) hair now - my only prior experience with wigs was non-serious Halloween stuff, when I had long hair I could just bunch up into the wig. It was... pretty bad going without the wig cap - because I forgot to bring knee highs! My hair refused to stay in the wig, it shifted all around, and the purple headband I wore underneath showed through!! D8

Thanks for putting up this simple solution. Next time I wear it, it's WIG CAP TIME! XD Thank you!

ToonMasta
09-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the tutorial! I've cosplayed once thus far sans wig cap and it is so hard to get it to stay on. I'd actually been told by a few people that I needed a wig cap, but the showing how to put it on and stuff is a huge help. ^^

Nevturiel
09-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Texas: I don't know why the wig won't cover all of the wig cap. Maybe while it was being styled, your friend accidentally made it smaller? I'd say show it to your friend and they can figure out something to do to make it work. In regards to getting your hair to stay under the wig cap, I bet slicking it back with gel would help.

Saphire_121
09-22-2008, 06:15 PM
wow, this is really helpful! I have really long & thick hair and had no idea how I was gonna put it up for my wig XD

IAmTheMurderer
10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
My problem is that I have fine, slippery hair. Last year I tried wig combs and my wig DID stay on a great deal longer than the year before. However this year I have one back heavy wig to wear and several waist-length ones.
My hair literally shoots out the hairpins. I've tried combs and pinning it on as well. I don't have enough hair though to braid or anything (my hair is usually only chin length), so what's a good way to make those hairpins or combs have some sort of texture to grasp onto? Particularly if I'm wearing a wig cap. Would I be better with a fishnet sort of wig cap?

Schuldig_
10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
My problem is that I have fine, slippery hair. Last year I tried wig combs and my wig DID stay on a great deal longer than the year before. However this year I have one back heavy wig to wear and several waist-length ones.
My hair literally shoots out the hairpins. I've tried combs and pinning it on as well. I don't have enough hair though to braid or anything (my hair is usually only chin length), so what's a good way to make those hairpins or combs have some sort of texture to grasp onto? Particularly if I'm wearing a wig cap. Would I be better with a fishnet sort of wig cap?

I've personally found that the pins stick quite well to the wig cap as it has a rougher texture than hair, which can be quite "shiny" and slippery. I normally prefer regular hair pins (like these (http://www.goodhairdays.com/metal-comb-files/1.75_tipped_hairpins.jpg)) as they don't do as much damage to the wig cap and stick better to my hair - but my hair is curly and thick; anything sticks - and wig caps are cheap.

However, these (http://gildingthelilydesigns.co.uk/images/red_hairpin_big.JPG) (without the gems, obviously) might work if you're hair is slippery - they sort of close at the end and hold onto the hair a bit better, imo. They're quite cheap, so perhaps could be worth a try? I don't know what pins you've been using up till now, though, so sorry if I'm suggesting something you've already tried.

Saphire_121
10-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I just got my wig today and couldn't wait to put it on. I read this tutorial & tried everything it said, but my hair kept sticking out of the wig cap and no matter how much I massaged it down it kept leaving big lumps. My hair is kinda long (about the middle of my back), and I was wondering if there was a better way for long hair? great tutorial nontheless, I must just be doing something wrong =/

Schuldig_
10-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I just got my wig today and couldn't wait to put it on. I read this tutorial & tried everything it said, but my hair kept sticking out of the wig cap and no matter how much I massaged it down it kept leaving big lumps. My hair is kinda long (about the middle of my back), and I was wondering if there was a better way for long hair? great tutorial nontheless, I must just be doing something wrong =/

Depending on how thick your hair is - to me, this matters more than length, really - you might try wetting it first. It's not a method I can say others swear by, but for me, with my thick, curly hair, it works wonders because it flattens my hair and makes it smooth. If massaging the "lumps" around to even them out doesn't work for you, you could try this. Just make sure to squeeze the water out with a towel so it's not sopping wet. I always do this to my hair and have no problems with it; I can't even feel that it's wet under the wig cap. Just, you know, make sure that it dries in between. ;)

Demon Kaizoku
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I skimmed the thread on its several tips and it seems quite helpful, but I can't help but ask my question anyway. If it's been repeatedly addressed, I do apologize.

The wig I'm using for my cosplay in the future is a very short one (not much to cover the forehead with and the back of it I think goes to the nape of my neck. So pretty short!) I have thick hair barely passed the top of my shoulders. I've debated if a wig cap, hair pins, or both would be the best way to go with mine or not. Which would work best?

I'm honestly more concerned about some of my hair showing (above the ears and at the nape of my neck)! The wig's white while my hair's brown, which wouldn't make a great match, imo.
What's the best option for that? Gel, pins, hair color spray?

Lothlin
10-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Wig cap and make sure the hair is on there really good. Get some white gel or a combo of gel and a bit of theatrical makeup (like kryolan,) gel back the hair at your temples and nape, and whiten it to match the wig.

Saphire_121
10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Depending on how thick your hair is - to me, this matters more than length, really - you might try wetting it first. It's not a method I can say others swear by, but for me, with my thick, curly hair, it works wonders because it flattens my hair and makes it smooth. If massaging the "lumps" around to even them out doesn't work for you, you could try this. Just make sure to squeeze the water out with a towel so it's not sopping wet. I always do this to my hair and have no problems with it; I can't even feel that it's wet under the wig cap. Just, you know, make sure that it dries in between. ;)

Okay, thanx. I will try this out sometime :)

Blood_Sword
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! ^^ Will probably get use of it when I start cosplaying... :3

Meo
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
wow, so Great tutorial! i seems can save money again,>3<

Nekovamp13
11-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I will have a neck-length wig that will be spiked...Is there a way to put on the wig without harming the spikes? Or should the spikes be hard enough that it shouldn't matter???

Kukkii-san
11-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Just make sure the wig is big enough for your head (and long enough, so it doesn't reveal your hairline) by styling it on a wig head that is your size. The wig undermesh must be stretched when you style the wig, otherwise the stretching of the wig when you put it on may ruin the style.

And don't flip the wig when putting it on, just hold it firmly by the front and back and pull it over your head that way.

Nekovamp13
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Okay. Thanks Kukkii-san. I'll make sure to do that!

Trails
01-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Wow, this is a ton of help :'D I'll have to make sure to get some thigh-highs before my wig arrives. But I have one question. I don't know if I'll need to, but how do you pin the wig to your hair? I have close to a million pins, I just don't know how to make them work with the wig.

Kukkii-san
01-17-2009, 03:49 AM
What kind of pins are you working with - bobby pins or hairpins, or other?

MochaValentino
01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Ooh! I'd like to know the art of pinning as well :D

My options would be bobby pins or those triangle shaped ones that snap (y'know what I'm talking about?)

Which are better?

Janeru-Chan
01-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks For the Tutorial! very helpful. i have very thick hair and its long so i used a lot of Bobby pins and stuff to keep it up then put the wig cap, luckily it stayed!

xLunarxKishx
01-19-2009, 10:55 AM
:) YAY. Good Tutorial.

Tarot Warrior
01-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Awesome tutorial, I just have one question...

I have short hair, should I do anything to secure my hair under the wig cap anyways?

Starlit Rose
01-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a question myself. I skimmed through the entire thread, and the best thing I saw mentioned was using toupee tape or whatever it was.

My friend has super short hair (boy cut), and will be wearing a wig with pigtails. The biggest issue is, she'll also be wearing a paperclay mask that is attached with an elastic band over the wig, and for skit purposes, she will need to be able to pull the mask off and on, or perhaps slide it from the side if we can't get that to work. So not only does she need help with anchoring the wig to her head, but she will need it to stay well enough to move a mask back and forth. My guess would be to use a net wig cap with some toupee tape to hold the wig down, but I'm curious to see if there are other suggestions. The convention is less than a week away, so we are scrambling to get this figured out. :(

Kukkii-san
01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Would weave clips work, or is her hair too short? You can sew them on the inside of the wig (near the front) to clip the wig to her hair. A Hiyori wig shouldn't be too heavy, though, so as long as you make sure the mask is smooth and can be moved easily without getting caught in the wig, it shouldn't be a problem. (Blast the wig with hairspray to keep stray hairs from getting caught in the mask, too^^)

Starlit Rose
01-26-2009, 02:22 AM
Would weave clips work, or is her hair too short? You can sew them on the inside of the wig (near the front) to clip the wig to her hair. A Hiyori wig shouldn't be too heavy, though, so as long as you make sure the mask is smooth and can be moved easily without getting caught in the wig, it shouldn't be a problem. (Blast the wig with hairspray to keep stray hairs from getting caught in the mask, too^^)

LOL I love how you know exactly which wig I'm talking about. XD

Her hair is pretty short. It's not a buzz cut or anything, but it's still short. I like the idea of sewing in weave clips. I'm just not entirely sure if her hair is long enough for them to work, but it might be just BARELY long enough. I'll definitely shove a comb into her hair tomorrow and see if it stays, LOL. Thanks for the suggestion! I actually hadn't even thought about those little things. If her hair is long enough for them, they will definitely help.

Ruri
01-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Thank you very much for sharing this.

I never knew people wore wig caps. Thank you!

Hatsune Miku
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks so much!
Very helpful >w<

XxMarilynxX
01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the tutorial... I was kinda scared about putting on the wig for my cosplay cuz I haven't used a wig before. I want it to be awesome... so yeah. Thanks!!!

MochaValentino
01-31-2009, 05:54 PM
So how do you actually pin/clip a wig to your head? Do you clip the mesh to your wig cap?

Kukkii-san
02-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Yes. If you're using hairpins, you'll stab them through the mesh into the wig cap and the hair underneath; If you're using bobby pins, you clip/pin the wig to the wig cap along the rim / hairline, wherever you think it's necessary (I recommend at least two bobby pins in the front and two or three in the back.)

Just make sure to never, ever try and hold back stray hairs with the pins - make a neat foundation first by pinning / slicking back your hair and putting on the wig cap, so that no hair keeps poking out of the wig cap, then put on the wig. Also, if the pin hurts when you put it in, pull it back out and look for a better spot. It may not hurt bad at the moment, but it will cause a headache later.

LostDonut
02-19-2009, 10:04 PM
wow =D
That's really neat =D
Thanks ^___^

Domin-eau
03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
What kind of brushes do you use to keep the wig all neat and tidy?

rikuloserface
03-04-2009, 08:01 PM
hmm.. i have thick, long-ish hair.
my hair is like.. black to. xD
lets say i wanna wear a light wig.
any sudgestions?

Ashton_Anchors
03-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Domin-Eau- While I'm not the OP, I think that I can answer your question. Katie Bair's site says to use wide toothed combs to comb wigs, which is probably how the OP keeps her wig straight. Also, I've heard that keeping them on a styling head keeps the wig looking brand new- as long as they're covered by something, and stored in a good place.

jester44
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Great tutorial, just a quick question. Should you still use a wig cap if you have really short hair (like an inch or two long)?

Kukkii-san
03-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Yes, definitely use a wig cap! Combined with hair gel / glue, it's the only thing that will keep your short hair from poking through the wig.

jester44
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
OK thanks!

Sillybean
03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
question: Last year for acen, I wore a wig cap underneath my wig like a good girl :D The only problem I had was that after wearing everything for almost an entire day, I started getting a headache. I know it was from the wig cap cause that thing was pretty snug. Not tight, it left no marks, just snug. And as soon as i took it off, I felt much better. So, my question is, is there any way to avoid the minor headache i experienced? I have a whole lot of curly thick hair, so i straightened it so as to make putting the wig cap on easier so I'm pretty sure that was not the problem. Is the wig cap too small on me? Is that even possible (cause it was one size fits all, as i think most wig caps i've seen are)?

Kukkii-san
03-30-2009, 03:13 AM
Use a larger (home-made) wig cap. I recommend size S pantihose for big heads and people with thick/long hair.

chenmeicai
03-31-2009, 01:26 AM
This is really helpful for begginers! Thanks a lot! :)

Mii-chan
04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! It's really useful! ^^

Oh, I have a question, though. Are wigs supposed to fit pretty snugly to your head because the bottom of my wig doesn't come close to the base of my scalp, and when I "tighten" the wig using the elastic band things on the side, there's parts that kind of "pleat" outwards... >_< (Sorry for the run-ons and I hope someone kinda knows what I'm talking about... D8) So does that mean the wig is too big for my head, or am I just doing things wrong? :(

rubyrain44
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
sorry if this mentioned in the post already somewhere, but i have a really long wig and flipping the hair defenitely tangles it all over again. would anyone be able to help me out with telling me the correct way to put a long wig on?

Katasha
04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
For when I have a long wig I just pull it over my hair, match the front of the wig to my front hairline and just pull it back into place, sometimes getting a friend to hold the front helps as well.

Kukkii-san
05-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Also, tie ribbons around the lengths of the wig for storage and transport, and do not take them off until you've put on the wig and you're at the convention hall. You can also put the lengths of the wig in a hairnet. This, in addition to not flipping the wig or holding it upside down, really helps reduce tangles.

BakuganBrawler
05-03-2009, 11:50 AM
=D thanks alot!

Matty's Mello
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
you people use KNEE HIGHS for wig caps? I don't have a big head- and my hair is short- and I try putting a knee high over my head and I can't even do it, its too tight... there is NO way we could get it over my friends head with shoulder length but F*CKING THICK hair... So what should we do? Our wig shop has caps, but they are SO loose its not funny, even on my friends head... And online is not an option right now 'cause our con is in 19 days, and we have... -$1000, yes, NEGATIVE $1000...

Kukkii-san
05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
size S pantihose.

azuremeia
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Wow, I never thought wig cap can be made from stockings XD I'm waiting for my first wig to arrive so I'm looking forward to try it out!

xsongmihix
05-23-2009, 08:48 PM
[[reply to Matty's Mello]]
It's funny, I tried this method the other day with a random knee-high stocking I found, and it totally didn't work for me either (I also ended up destroying that stocking ._.;; ), but I tried it again tonight with a fresh (and newer, I think) stocking, and it worked remarkably well. I have near-waist-long, thick hair, but it still turned out well... Maybe if you try it with another few stockings (note: I think ones with wide leg-bands probably would work best... not sure though), you'll be successful. :3

Spooky Elric
05-29-2009, 05:09 AM
This is a really useful thread/guide! I wore my first wig with a wig cap but it just would NOT stay on. It kept slipping backwards; I tried hairpins with no avail. I did however try Toupee Tape and that stuff works pretty well! The wig was just long and kind of thick coupled with my shiny/healthy hair... It was all around bad. I also think my wig cap had been too tight which I didn't even think about until I read the last page here of this thread, as like with Sillybean, I also ended up with a headache. I shall have to try that S size pantyhose for my next wig attempt!

Thanks for the great tutorial and thread!!

MonsterManiac
06-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Do you really have to use pantyhose or the like for a wig cap? With every wig that I bought, I get a net wig cap. Is that fine or should I really use pantyhose for a cap?

Kukkii-san
06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Whatever works best for you. I recommend pantihose (size S, mind you) for people with larger heads or thick, long hair that is hard to fit under a normal wig cap without causing a major headache. But if store-bought wig caps fit your head, that's perfectly fine^^

Just make sure to use a cap made out of pantihose fabric (skin tone or in a shade that matches the wig you're going to wear), not the fishnet ones.

Kaede Karasuma
06-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks so much! :) This was really helpful, especially because I lost my poor wig cap and I have very long hair.

dorapoch
06-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Do you think it'll be okay with a couple strand of my hair near my neck to show? I can't seem to cover it up and keep the front of the wig in place...or maybe I just need hairpins.

It's a yoko wig so it's very heavy where the ponytail is. I've read how you guys recommend using the hairpins to keep it in place...just where do you pin it? Middle or near the sides? I might go overboard and turn the whole wig black...lol

kuronekochan
06-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Ooo! This helps me so much!! Thank you for this!!

parakiss
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
thank you so much!! I been all over the net trying to figure how I am going to wear the wig for mion from when they cry. Now I just need to style it. Is there any froum for tips on how to style the wig?

Pirategirl916
06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
great tutorial, thanks for the link :)

GakuChan
07-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial! :]

Rockaholic Girl
07-14-2009, 06:57 PM
great idea about using braids for wigs... i need to wear a wig for the first time, and i have long thick hair... i might do that. thanks!