PDA

View Full Version : Convention Sleeping Space

TribalButterfly
01-16-2006, 10:14 AM
For CN/FX this year, a pile of my friends and I were thinking about all piling into a hotel room in the hotel attached to the convention centre - The INTERCONTINENTAL :)
We want to stay at the hotel, because its kinda a far trip to and from the con, and it just seems a lot easier to knock off the travel time at the begining and end of each con day. To wake up and already be at the con? Amazing!

Anyways, I was just wondering, how many of you have stayed at this hotel before, and what is the maximum number of people you have been able to (somewhat comfortably) cram into one of those rooms for the weekend?
We figure the more people we can fit in the room, the less expensive it will be.

Thanks!
:)

BlackYodaWizard
01-16-2006, 10:24 AM
that is a intresting question are you refering to the omi shore hotel for katsucon 06 if so i have the number if you need it reply eather way :chatah:

TribalButterfly
01-16-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure what the name of the hotel is, (I'll find out for sure as soon as I talk to my friend, who stayed at the hotel last year) But the convention that I'm referring to is CNAnime (i posted this in the CNAnime Forum).
I know they recently changed the name of CNAnime, but i don't think they changed it to Katsucon...though I guess I could be mistaken...?

Kia
01-16-2006, 02:56 PM
that is a intresting question are you refering to the omi shore hotel for katsucon 06 if so i have the number if you need it reply eather way :chatah:
Um ... sorry, but you have the wrong country. Katsucon is in Virginia, CNAnime (or FEX or whatever its called now) is in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. But thanks for your offer of help.

TB, the hotel is called the Intercontinental. Their website is here: http://www.toronto.intercontinental.com/
I've personally never stayed their before, so I unfortunately have nothing to say about the hotel itself. :( Maybe one day ...

TribalButterfly
01-16-2006, 03:27 PM
YES! That's the name of the hotel! The Intercontinental! Thanks!
That's one question answerd so far. Now if only i can figure out how many people to comfortably fit in a room! :)

Anybody?

BlackYodaWizard
01-16-2006, 03:30 PM
just go to he site and get phone # talk to a employee ::)

TribalButterfly
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm kinda wanting to avoid letting the hotel staff know how many people we're having in the room...:)

Plus i want a real cosplayer's opinon from their own personal experience staying there with others.

Thanks though!:)

Vicky
01-16-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm kinda wanting to avoid letting the hotel staff know how many people we're having in the room...:)
Maybe because it's against the law? LOL
I have not stayed there myself, but if you're creative you can fit quite a bit.
Just keep it realistic, trust me.

TribalButterfly
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Haha! Yea, that's why i'm asking others what their experiances were like.

I'm thinking it might be around 4 - 7 people. I know we could fit 4 comfortably, maybe even 6, but i'm worried 7 might be pushing it...

BlackYodaWizard
01-16-2006, 05:07 PM
is it a two bed or one bed bc i am fitting 7 in one room two beds also two in each bed three on the floor i dont know if its illeagal so i just wont say anything i will just assume andits supper cheap:):):)

Anime Dave
01-16-2006, 05:35 PM
In terms of number of people you can have in a room, the 'official' answer is four - at least at those conventions that are connected with a hotel, like AN or TT. Hotels usually frown upon having their rooms stuffed like a circus clown car. ^_~

Seriously though, the hotel makes money through room-nights, and they can make more money by renting two rooms with four people in each then they can one room with eight people in it. It also costs the hotel in other ways, such as more people in rooms means things like more towels being used each day which translates into more laundering costs, which also translates into potentially more damage to the enviroment.

As well, it can be dangerous, as Bill (the assistant manager at the Doubletree who deals with AN and TT) mentioned to me at the end of CnB. Say there's a fire in the hotel and they have to evacuate everyone. If there are eight people in a room that only has two registered, then how will they know who is alive and accounted for and who is still inside?

I've heard how years ago many of the local conventions would routinely have rooms with upwards of a dozen people in them - Irwin, the chair of AN, told me how one year he was practically sleeping under the nightside table - but as the demographics of those conventions ages, those days are pretty much gone. Not to mention that nowadays the hotel people for those cons have to be more vigilant in keeping an eye out for such thing.

The other thing is that the hotel industry is only now starting to recover from the SARS scare of years ago, and as such is still feeling the financial pinch. So they're more mindful of such practices.

While I understand the need and desire to want to save money by spreading the cost of a hotel room among as many people as you can, there are reasons why you shouldn't. Plus, if as in the case of AN, Ad Astra and TT, the convention has a room block that they have to meet, then by booking two rooms rather then one, you've doubled the number of room-nights that will go to that block. Not to mention that as the convention makes or exceeds its room block, that helps towards lowering the cost of the function space for the convention.

One last thing, don't expect to get a good price on a room there, as I don't think that FEX has any deal with any area hotel. (I think they might have had a deal with the Strathcona years ago, but I don't know if they still do today.) That said, I just checked the Intercontenental website and found that the best advanced rate for that weekend (2 queen bed superior room) is $229 per night, which could end up being like $70 or so each once tax and everything else is added in - and that's with four people in the room.

You might want to actually look at either the Strathcona or the Holiday In On King - up at King and Peter, about a block west of John - for better rates.

And I just thought of something else. You may want some space for all your cosplay stuff as well. ^_^;

AncientWanderer
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
The Holiday Inn unfortunately doesn't offer rates for the con (I stayed there with some friends this year). I think 5 of us paid for a 2-bed room and the cost was about $70 dollars or so. Still, only a block or two away, which is convenient.

I think the Strathcona does have some sort of deal, though...but don't quote me on it. I know the con held the Anime All-Nighter at a nearby hotel, and I believe the Strathcona was it. If that's the case, then I would assume they have some special agreement with them. But again, don't hold me to it in case I'm wrong lol. Still, it's worth a shot.

TribalButterfly
01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanx a lot for the advice Anime Dave, but we definatly want to be in the Intercontinental.
We're not looking for a spechial deal because we're going to the convention. I never would assume that there would be spechial deals just for people going to CNAnime, simply because conventions run in the convention centre all year long, so for them to give a spechial rate for people going to conventions would be something I wouldn't expect them to do.

Last year my friend had a really nice penthouse suite with two queen beds in the Intercontinental for only $150 a night. :)

I'm not too worried about "being caught sharing the room" because a good friend of mine from Boston comes to Toronto to visit me a few times a year, and we've always hung out in her hotel room without any difficulties with the hotel staff. Besides, Its such a common practice durring con weekend, I think the hotels just come to expect it now. :)

Anyways, I'm still waiting to hear what's the most people anyone's ever fit comfortably in one hotel room :) haha! :)

Tia
01-16-2006, 07:39 PM
There should be a cheaper price for convention-goers, because usually the con is required to have a certain number of room-nights blocked for the weekend. Because of the large number of rooms spoken for, there is a slight discount.

All I have to say about room stuffing is this: If you do it, get kicked out of your room without any of the things you brought with you, and do not get your money back, do not whine and say nobody warned you. Room stuffing is not something that hotels take lightly.

Otaking97
01-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I never got a hotel room for CNA yet. Last year I slept in my car and it still cost $24!

TribalButterfly
01-16-2006, 09:06 PM
WELL, my room mate list just gained another 2 people, so i think we'll probubly end up getting 2 rooms instead of one :p Haha!

but, I'd still like to hear about other people's crowded con roommate storries! :)

heki-chan
01-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I've heard of instances where the hotel found out about the extra people, and they (the people) were heavily fined by the local fire department as it is against fire regulations.

That said, just be reasonable about it. Don't attempt to stuff 10 people in a 4 person room. And don't be noisy/rowdy.

Vicky
01-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I agree. The less people OVER the limit, the better :P

Kohana
01-17-2006, 10:45 AM
you might want to keep in mind about everyone's baggage they carry into the room.... my room got over crowed by cosplays and props (this was at AN though).....I HAD to clean it up... when I'm in a room like that I can't function....also finding out if pple are morning or evening shower takers is good too... I hate waiting :)

Brita_Lee
01-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, definately have a shower schedule! One group at night, another in the morning! ^^
I try and keep to the room limit, 'cause its nervracking to know its above, and its uncomfortable. I did that at CNA'05. It was like 6 or 7 people in a 4 person room. Really crowded with stuff and just hard to organize ones self like that. O__o; Never again. Ha ha.

Aaridys
01-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Wow, I'm suprised that very few on this thread has *actually* stayed at the Intercontinental for CN Anime before... it's so practical.

We've attended this Con for 3 years now and always stayed at this hotel. It does offer a special rate for the convention but rooms get reserved uber fast so you might want to start thinking about it around May or June. The price usually saves you 20-30$ on regular fare (ok, not insane, but enough to get a plushie!) Normal rates go from 200$ to 259$. They have a website you can check. Breakfast is not included and although the buffet is nice, it costs 25$!

One thing you want to avoid also is mentionning that you are a group. They will jump on that like vultures on a corpse and try so hard to get you into as many separate rooms as possible. More rooms = more money for them.

If you call up or walk to the front desk and ask for a room of 4, they will tell you that the limit is 3. Don't ask why, I've done so about a thousand times and they won't let you break the rule, unless you're ready to pay a lovely 30$ extra charge for the fourth person. Unless you're a mommy with 3 kids. It's a bitch if you really want to keep straight but we managed fine with 4 in the room without them really knowing about it. Also, take into consideration that once you get there, many things get resolved quickly at the front desk because the employes there don't want to make a huge fuss. The Intercontinental is considered a 5 star hotel (by magazines... personnaly, I'd put it around 4 1/2, anyways...)

Parking will cost you around 50$ for the whole week-end. There are 2 separate spots in the building. On is the hotel parking, with valet service and all. The other is the Convention Center, which is self-service, obviously. We the first and second year, it cost us 54$ in the Convention Center and last year, we managed to get free valet service with our room, yepee!!

The hotel offers great services, for a hefty price but considering that you don't even need to walk outside to get to the con, it's a real treat. And do enjoy the pool if you stay there!

Although I understand that you want to keep the costs low by cramming as many people in one room, the Intercontinental rooms can hardly manage more than 5, 6 at maximum if you guys really get along well. Like many people said earlier, consider luggage, costumes, bathroom junk (as I call my soap and hairbrush) an the like. If you have large props, long hair and make-up sessions or even other people to prepare, think about keeping the 'sleepers' amount as light as you can manage.

Good luck!
Aaridys

Vicky
01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I stay at the Strathcona because it's way cheaper and just as good o_o;

TribalButterfly
01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
WOW! Aaridys! :) Thanks so much! It's so good to have a really detailed personal oppinion on the Intercontinental (since that's the hotel in question :) )

I'm gunna take everything you said to heart, and keep it all in mind when reserving the room(s) and figuring things out with my friends! :)

Thanks so much!
Ur Awesome! :)

mokulen22
01-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I stayed at the Intercontinental last year. I got one of those rooms with one queen size bed and one pull-out couch. The pull out couch wasn't bad either (rather comfy actually) but you'll have to call the staff for an extra blanket. The room can not hold more than four people in my opinion; well, the room I was in would be too small. It was only my cousin and I staying in the room and we like our space so I'm not sure my opinion is much help to you. The bathroom is really nice! *sigh* that wasn't helpful was is...*walks away with her head down*

TribalButterfly
01-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Haha! Dont worry Moku! its always good to hear from you! :) haha!

Last year My friend Jenna had a room on the top floor and itt seemed pretty spachious. I think if it came down to it, we could fit 6 people no problem. 2 beds, plenty og floor space, and yea, the bathroom was gorgeous!

How much did it cost u per night though? My friend said the room cost her 150 a night, but everyone else is telling me like 229, and their rooms weren't as high up as hers!
???????????

Enk
01-21-2006, 10:35 PM
I've stayed with 8 people in a 4 person room for another con. We're not doing that again. It is just too crowded and the extra money is totally worth the extra space we will have to hang up our costumes.

With 8 people, two were sleeping on the floor, three in the King bed and three sleeping sideways on the extendable couch. i had to add the armchair for my feet because I am over 6 feet tall. it was rough, especially with the showers, getting no sleep and EVERYONE being so sick. We were a room infested with disease! For Anime North the 6 of us are trying to get two rooms side by side, with two queen beds in each room, so it will be two people per bed and one bed for props and 'stuff'. Something like that. or rotate people who sleep by themselves in a queen bed.

For CN Anime, last year we thought we would save money staying in a youth hostel. We were four girls promised a room together on a girls only floor. That never panned out and after so much BS, we decided that we would not stay a single night there. For 50 bucks a night per person, yea definately not. It cost the same amount of money to sleep in a kingsize bed in the hotel down the street (thanks to my brother who also attended Cn Anime). It was a nightmare. We travelled by bus and walked across downtown to get tons of BS excuses from a dirty, dirty hostel. (I used to backpack in Europe a lot and never had I encountered such *bad* service)

Anime Dave
01-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Enk, you're not talking about the one at Spadina and King, are you?

TribalButterfly
01-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow, that's nuts! I'd never given any thought to staying at a hostel... but I never would, I'm a bit high maintenance when it comes to where I sleep/shower! Haha!

Aaridys
01-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Wow, you've had a rough time Enk! The only real trouble we ever had was to get what we wanted from the hotel reservation staff.

They're so tight, you really need to know your stuff.

And, TribalButterfly, 229$/night is for the whole room. Split that between 4 people and you get a lower price per head. Last year, it cost us 120$ each for the 3 nights we stayed, breakfast and parking included.

Good luck!

JustinCredible
01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Wow, you've had a rough time Enk! The only real trouble we ever had was to get what we wanted from the hotel reservation staff.

They're so tight, you really need to know your stuff.

And, TribalButterfly, 229$/night is for the whole room. Split that between 4 people and you get a lower price per head. Last year, it cost us 120$ each for the 3 nights we stayed, breakfast and parking included.

Good luck!

229*3 = 687 / 4 = 171.75 + Buffet (25)+Parking (50)... did you get a discount because you booked early?

Enk
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Enk, you're not talking about the one at Spadina and King, are you?

I am actually... what're they called? Global Backpackers? Why? They are known to suck?

TribalButterfly
01-26-2006, 09:55 AM
229$/night sounds so weird to me! My friend swears she spent only 150$/night, and she booked late, and got a penthouse room! ??? strange.

I'll ask her again the next time i see her, just to confirm.

mokulen22
01-26-2006, 11:27 AM
no, I think she is right, I remember it being quite a bit for a room there.

Edit: just looked at the website, you're right Tribal, but the rooms are limited at a discounted price ($169/Night). I was late getting a room (wasn't sure if I could go or not) and had to select a room with one big bed but I was able to get two beds after I checked in because someone else cancelled.

http://www.hobbystar.com/ComicConToronto2006/CC_Anime_Travel.asp

Aaridys
01-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Parking and breakfast were included in the 229$/night fare.

Wow, 169$/night, that's a bargain considering the hotel! Must book now...

Also, the amount of rooms available at a special rate for CN Anime are limited so if they're all booked, you need to get another at a higher rate (well... anyhow, that's how it went for us).