PDA

View Full Version : Gundam suit help

Shinigami666
01-16-2006, 11:36 PM
I know there's a lot of these kind of threads but still.

I plan on (hopfully) making a gundam suit (either freedom or justice probably) but the problem is i don't know what type of material to use and where i could get it. so can someone help me out? It's almost Chinese New year so probably get about $200 cdn but I'm still looking for something cheap and easy to use (but not cardboard because i have bad experiences with it) to make the suit.

astillar
01-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Well, if your budget is only $200 and you don't want to work with cardboard, I think the only other materials you're left with are polystyrene or expanded pvc, about $20 and $35 per 8' x 4' sheet, respectively. For a geometric armor suit like a Gundam, I'd use the polystyrene, since it'd be easier to cut into patterns and fold into your origami Gundam. But polystyrene would probably need some sort of backing to give it strength. For that, cardboard would work. But it's up to you.

Shinigami666
01-17-2006, 08:57 PM
thanks. but a quick question do they warp under heat? and if they do is there any other cheap easy to use materials that wont?

Annie-Mei
01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Refer to the links in my sig

dothacker2
01-18-2006, 11:33 AM
try using fiberglass, ive seen some good works made with the stuff around the forum here, its strong, doesnt warp and looks pretty nice painted with gel paint...i saw a link a while ago...if i refind it ill edit my message and post it

Annie-Mei
01-18-2006, 02:48 PM
try using fiberglass, ive seen some good works made with the stuff around the forum here, its strong, doesnt warp and looks pretty nice painted with gel paint...i saw a link a while ago...if i refind it ill edit my message and post it

word of warning to those who have never used FiberGlass before

Try a project involving something small and easy to do. Why? cause if you've never worked wit hteh stuff before, you will quickly find out that its pretty "difficult" to work with, and of course dangerous.

Fiberglass works with very "volatile" chemicals, and if the stuff gets into your skin, you'll be itching for a week, and nothing can get the stuff out, except over time as your body naturally sheds its dead skin.

There are other alternatives to fiberglass that isn't as dangerous to use. I would suggest looking into products made by Smooth On

http://www.smooth-on.com/

they have new products like Liquid Plastic, that is lightweight, easy to work with (that means mixing, many is a 1:1 mixture) and some even float in water.

Im currently working a project with both fiberglass and smooth on products to see which one is worthile to use and cost effective.

edit: speak of the devil, someone just posted an excellent tutorial for fiberglass and mentioned some of the products from smooth on that I was trying to refer to:
http://www.digitalemerald.com/cosplay_armor_index.html

dothacker2
01-25-2006, 03:50 PM
edit: speak of the devil, someone just posted an excellent tutorial for fiberglass and mentioned some of the products from smooth on that I was trying to refer to:
http://www.digitalemerald.com/cosplay_armor_index.html
yes, this is the one i was thinking of...its pretty good

LanceBardock
01-25-2006, 11:11 PM
good luck with your costume, if it comes out successful, let me know, also let me know waht con you intend to use it for... I wanted to make God Gundam myself :rockon:

Cora
01-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Do...er...Justice. 'Cause....er....yeah *points to personal title and ava*

*ahem*

I'd suggest wonderflex, but that'd probably be too expensive. It'd be really easy to work with, but it would soften slightly in a lot of heat, however body heat wouldn't do anything to it. I would think the only problem with heat you'd have is if you were planning to be walking around in 80+ degree heat outside underneath direct sunlight for long periods of time...which wouldn't be a good idea anyhow, given the nature of your costume (read: heatstroke = baaaaad)

The polystyrene actually would probably work well too, though I can't personally attest to it.