PDA

View Full Version : Can we bring signs to ALA?

Captain Gundam
01-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm not talking about posterboard sized signs. More among the lines of a single sheet a paper signs. Are they allowed? If so, what can't I have on it.

Hazel Chaz
01-18-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm not talking about posterboard sized signs. More among the lines of a single sheet a paper signs. Are they allowed? If so, what can't I have on it.
What sort of sign do you have in mind?

Keep in mind that we're not keen on panhandling or soliciting; and merchandise sellers belong in the dealer's room with a California seller's permit (or in certain cases, the fan tables or artist's concourse).

[We also hope that nobody's going to starve to death or drop from dehydration at our convention, given that you can get a snack or a tasty beverage from the Con Suite most hours of the day.]

That covers most of the signs I've heard of people objecting to (and enacting "no signs" rules against) at other conventions.

Can you tell me what you might be putting on your sign, so I can get a feel for what you're asking here, please?

Eurobeat King
01-18-2006, 01:21 AM
I've been to a lot of cons and seen a lot of people hold up sheets of paper that were just made with a pen or pencil, saying stuff like "Free hugs", "Kiss for $1", "Will Yaoi For Food", "Will Yaoi For Pocky", etc. I don't take pictures of cosplayers holding signs like these, since it's sorta like panhandling, and I get enough of that at my work in downtown San Francisco.. :razz:

I support cons that ban signs, and get a good laugh at some cons (that enforce the "no sign" rule) and confiscate signs from those who don't obey the rule, and then post them on a board sorta like a "Wall of Shame" :D

DivineSage
01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah, signs are annoying more than anything. I mean, something like a cute/witty line or phrase, etc. I can bear with, but if you're asking for anything, it's just kind of... pathetic...

Rogue Marvel
01-18-2006, 09:57 PM
as long as it isn't crazy (the yaoi signs get old fast) or its party of the costume I'm cool with signs.

heck my pocky costume is like one big sign!

I can't wait til ALA

Captain Gundam
01-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey Chaz its mostly humor signs. its either going to be "Lives in a giant robot with 5 monkeys" or " my girlfriend, partners, and house are all robots".

EBK, well if the cons dont allow it, i'll throw the sign away. i'll follow the rules posted so i dont cause any trouble.

Eurobeat King
01-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey Chaz its mostly humor signs. its either going to be "Lives in a giant robot with 5 monkeys" or " my girlfriend, partners, and house are all robots".

EBK, well if the cons dont allow it, i'll throw the sign away. i'll follow the rules posted so i dont cause any trouble.

We'll let HC reply and give the final say about if your sign(s) are OK or not. :)

Hazel Chaz
01-19-2006, 05:48 AM

I don't see a problem with the signs you've described; they don't sound any different in principle than a slogan on a t-shirt or a button.

(Speaking of buttons, you might stop by Earth Daughter Arts in the dealer's room and see if they can make you a button with your robot/monkey messages. Then you'd have something a little more durable and reusable...)

Master Zero
01-19-2006, 03:11 PM
So "Free Robot Sex" is ok then? (refer to my pic gallery to know what I'm talking about)

Hazel Chaz
01-19-2006, 09:01 PM
So "Free Robot Sex" is ok then? (refer to my pic gallery to know what I'm talking about)
Depends on context. How old are you? Remember what I was saying about soliciting?

Gainax Boy
01-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Don't worry.. I can vouch for his Sign, Chaz. It's clean ^__^