PDA

View Full Version : unspoken rules about constructing your own costumes?

aimee
02-13-2003, 02:15 AM
Hey guys, I have some friends who can't sew, but that wanted to at some point do a cosplay with me.

do any masquerades allow one group member to help create another member's group costume?

or is that frowned upon?

I know SOME people have competed in costumes that parents or friends have made for them, I was just wondering if it's considered ok. if it is, I'd like to do it.:thumbsup:

PretearWink
02-13-2003, 06:44 AM
There was a topic about this somewhere before a while ago @.@

I think the general census was that yes, it's a legal thing you can do, but by cosplayers in general it is frowned upon. Exceptions to that were if you let the judges know pre-skit that they were all made by you or the competition was based SOLELY on the skit, and not on costumes.

Does that help? ^^;

Rosiel
02-13-2003, 10:04 AM
> do any masquerades allow one group member to help create another member's group costume?

If you're both competing in the same group there is no problem in helping each other as long as you compete as a group and don't use someone else's work for an individual craftmanship award. In my Seimaden group, at Ohayocon, we ended up working on each other's costume. We competed and won as a group.

Having someone outside of the group is a whole other situation, and, yes, is frowned upon. Unless you're in the children's division. The minimum you have to do is tell the judges and not compete in craftsmanship, for that would be unfair to those who slaved on their costumes on their own.

Koumori
02-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Just another one of the bijillion reasons I don't compete - I make ALL the costumes for myself and my friends, who either are lukewarm about cosplay and doing me a favor by wearing what I make, or can't sew. If all the costumes in a group of, say, the 3 sisters from OMG, were made solely by me, but we had a cute presentation that we worked on together, how does that factor into judging? I just skip it altogether. But if everyone in a group does work - on your own costumes or each other's - and all of the costumes are created by the people on the stage, I don't believe there would be any problem with that.

I don't think it's possible to have a cosplay entry judged solely on the skit, without paying any mind to the costumes - it's a total package, and you can't judge skits against each other if every entry wants you to judge them on different things.

Rosiel
02-13-2003, 11:13 AM
> the 3 sisters from OMG, were made solely by me, but we had a cute presentation that we worked on together, how does that factor into judging?

In my mind the only problem is when people outside of the group help with the costumes. If you make them all and you are part of the group, then you should compete for skit and craftsmanship, as long as you don't mind the fact that the award (if you win craftsmanship) will go to the group even though the other people did not do anything.

> - it's a total package, and you can't judge skits against each other if every entry wants you to judge them on different things.

You can decide not to enter craftsmanship judging, which is separate from the skit judging, and generally happens before the masquerade, if you did not make your costume. It's the right thing to do.

That said, I am generally opposed to comissioned costumes, or costumes made by someone else (not in the skit), being allowed to enter the masquerade. See other thread for long ramble on the subject.

[Edit: As for being unspoken, a lot of cons have it in their masquerade rules that comissioned costumes are not allowed.]

Koumori
02-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel

You can decide not to enter craftsmanship judging, which is separate from the skit judging, and generally happens before the masquerade, if you did not make your costume. It's the right thing to do.

Right, and that's an argument people often use for trying to sneak in costumes they didn't make (that they didn't enter them in workmanship judging). But doesn't judging of skits - whether or not you entered the "craftsmanship" judging - still take into account the look of the costumes? The whole thing makes my brain hurt. I agree, though, that from a strictly craftsmanship level, problems don't arise until someone outside the group gets involved.. especially if that person was paid for his/her work.

Rosiel
02-13-2003, 11:41 AM
> But doesn't judging of skits - whether or not you entered the "craftsmanship" judging - still take into account the look of the costumes?

In my mind, yes, which is why I am opposed to any sort of comissioned costume being entered in the Masquerade... but not everyone agrees and some cons let you compete for non-craftsmanship awards with comissioned costumes.

Hikaruchan
02-13-2003, 11:50 AM
In the cosplay I run, as long as the person in competitions costume was either made by someone in their group - or the creator is there in person(person wearing is their model or creator too shy to get onstage) - or it was worked on by family(who a lot of time is at the con) - all those are acceptable. It is only when the person forks out cash to someone to make the costume is that frowned upon.

aimee
02-13-2003, 12:07 PM
ok, well that pretty much answers my question, because basically what I was asking was, say, for example, if me and a good friend of mine want to be two Video Girls from Video Girl Ai, (just a hypothetical) but she can't sew very well. She may help me some with props and painting ,etc... but I'd have to do most of the sewing, if not all.

so that's ok then huh?

Hikaruchan
02-13-2003, 12:13 PM
That's perfectly acceptable for probably any competiton

Mink
02-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Gosh...I make all the costumes for my groups and I never even thought twice about that being an issue.....I totally thought that was ok...I need to pay more attention *mihoshi moment*

Koumori
02-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Mink
Gosh...I make all the costumes for my groups and I never even thought twice about that being an issue.....I totally thought that was ok...I need to pay more attention *mihoshi moment*

I believe it is okay, as long as someone (even if it's just one person) in your group actually made the costumes.

Marty
03-11-2003, 02:39 AM
That's very true Koumori.

By the way, even if it's ok with the judges to enter a commissioned costume, most of the time it's NOT ok with the seamstress (or boy...seamster??) you commissioned it FROM. You've no idea how outraged we can get when someone claims our costume for their own, or wins a substantial amount of money for something they didn't make. It's very upsetting, so for anyone who commissions costumes, PLEASE ask if it's all right to enter the costume before you buy! Most costumers belong to sites like this one and always find out if their costume was used, and it's very upsetting.

But I see nothing wrong with sewing for other members of your own group. You all work as a team on the rest of the skit, so sewing should be part of that if your friends aren't as good as they'd like to be. :)

By the by, Rosiel, thanks for volunteering your advice with questions like these...your costumes are great!

Rosiel
03-11-2003, 10:19 AM
> By the by, Rosiel, thanks for volunteering your advice with questions like these...

No problem, I always volunteer advice whether people want it or not! (kidding)

> your costumes are great!

Thank you! Yours are simply lovely too! Especially the Marie-Antoinette one... I was incredibly impressed and I wish I had seen it in person! I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to make a period dress... ^__^

Marty
03-11-2003, 02:39 PM
:D Thanks! Well, I'd start in the period section of the McCall's patterns *L* but that's just me.

Now what I wouldn't know where to start on is Die-chan's A. sanctuary from Katsucon 0_0 weren't you just so amazed by it?! She wouldn't tell me what it was for the longest time, but it was worth the wait. :)

Oops, sorry to get off-topic there.