PDA

View Full Version : Costume-Con 25 in St. Louis, MO 2007

Buddycat
01-20-2006, 07:39 PM
The general Science Fiction and Fantasy costuming community has taken notice of the huge number of people who make and wear costumes at anime cons. The design and attention to detail that anime fans give to their outfits is very impressive. All of us would love more of you to come to the general SF cons to show off your stuff, and more of you starting to do so.

Now, if you love costuming as a form of artistic expression almost as much as you like dressing as your favorite character, then you might enjoy Costume-Con. It's 4 days of all costuming - all the time. You can learn a lot at instructional panels, meet other costumers from different backgrounds (fiber art, historical, SF, SCA, etc.), and see some dynamite costumes.

For more information, please visit us at www.cc25.net.

Can't wait that long? Costume-Con 24 will be in Des Moines, Iowa, Memorial Day Weekend this year. You can find out more at: http://cc24.dmsfs.org/.

supergeekgirl
01-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Gah! Costume-Con in STL!? Yippee!! Now if we just got Worldcon, that would make it perfect!

Well, we need an anime convention, too... as St. Louis is severely lacking in those.

Buddycat
01-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Are you aware there's going to be a one day affair in April for anime fans? Maryville College folks are putting it on.

supergeekgirl
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Are you aware there's going to be a one day affair in April for anime fans? Maryville College folks are putting it on.

Of course I know... but I'm kind of sketchy on the details. Do you know a lot about it?

khenemetset
02-05-2006, 12:03 AM

Yeah, um it would be nice if they would be a little more vocal about it so people who want to come will come. I only found out about it by sheer luck to be honest. Maybe someone for the anime club there needs to come here and post something about it. Just a suggestion :D

As to Costume Con, man, I would love to go to it since it'll be like 15 or 20 minutes away from me but I don't think I can afford to go to it sadly. :(

Buddycat
02-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah, um it would be nice if they would be a little more vocal about it so people who want to come will come. I only found out about it by sheer luck to be honest. Maybe someone for the anime club there needs to come here and post something about it. Just a suggestion :D

As to Costume Con, man, I would love to go to it since it'll be like 15 or 20 minutes away from me but I don't think I can afford to go to it sadly. :(

I don't believe we've posted the details yet, but we're near having a no-frills Student rate that might make it more affordable for you.

Also, we will be awarding a free membership to the most promising Novice at Archon's masqurade this year. That doesn't mean it may be the Best Novice, but possibly.

Buddycat
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Ever wanted to design an original costume for your favorite anime character? Or, how about just do something different and create an anime-inspired ensemble? Here's your opprotunity - it's the Costume-Con 25 Future Fashion Follio! Go here for details: http://www.cc25.net/FFF.htm. Want to see what's been done in the past? Visit http://www.costume-con.org/CClink/index.shtml, click one of the past conventions and click the Entries link for the Future Fashion Show. Drawing ability is not really a requirement!

For more info on what a Future Fashion Folio is, go here: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/ffashion/

khenemetset
02-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't believe we've posted the details yet, but we're near having a no-frills Student rate that might make it more affordable for you.

It's a nice idea to have a student rate, but that won't help me out sadly as I'm not a student anymore. ^_^ But, it's good to hear all the same.

Buddycat
03-04-2006, 05:08 PM
It should be mentioned that we will have one day rates.

Buddycat
03-04-2006, 05:19 PM
CC25 hopes to present free memberships to Costume-Con 25 to the Best Novice or Most Promising Novie entries at select convention maquerades this year. The tentative schedule is as follows:

Demicon
LA CON
Archon
Lunacon
MidSouthCon
Philcon
Capricon
CC24
MileHiCon
ConQuesT (Kansas City)

We are investigating the possibility of a couple of anime cons as well - subject to confirmation. We'll announce them here when we know for sure.

This is a $95 value, which includes all publications, including the Future Fashion Folio. Winners photos will be posted on CC25 website (www.cc25.net) as part of the "Hell Freezes Over Tour" featured "acts".

CapsuleCorp
03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Man, that would be wonderful except 1) I'm so not a student anymore and 2) I'm not a Novice anymore either! I'm Journeyman-Master level. And I STILL can't afford CostumeCon, even if it's that close. (Iowa's closer, but I have a wedding to go to that weekend) I hadn't intended on competing at Archon, but even if I do, I won't be allowed at Novice level. SIGH.

Why *does* CostumeCon always have to be so expensive? I would love to go, and get the benefit of rubbing elbows with other experienced adult costumers like myself, but I'm poor. I can afford anime cons, but not world-level cons.

Buddycat
03-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Man, that would be wonderful except 1) I'm so not a student anymore and 2) I'm not a Novice anymore either! I'm Journeyman-Master level. And I STILL can't afford CostumeCon, even if it's that close. (Iowa's closer, but I have a wedding to go to that weekend) I hadn't intended on competing at Archon, but even if I do, I won't be allowed at Novice level. SIGH.

Why *does* CostumeCon always have to be so expensive? I would love to go, and get the benefit of rubbing elbows with other experienced adult costumers like myself, but I'm poor. I can afford anime cons, but not world-level cons.

Thank you for asking this question, as we get this a lot.

Mainly, it's a question of numbers. The usual reason that anime cons and general SF cons are cheaper is because they deal in volume, volume, volume. That brings down the cost per person. Also, CC is a travelling convention, hosted by different groups of people each time (historically, but not restricted to, an ICG chapter). There is no base of funds from previous cons to build on - most are lucky to break even or clear a couple of grand.

The largest CC was CC8, back in 1990, with about 900 attendees. The smallest was somewhere around 180 or so. The more people you can promise the hotel, the better deal you get. If you're lucky, the hotel will let you have meeting space for free if you can produce a certain number of room nights. They always charge you for catering, so you can't bring yoiur own food in. There's all sorts of ways they can get you. This seems to be more prevalent on the Coasts than in the Midwest, but not always. More so when it's in a downtown hotel.

CC also produces a Future Fashion Folio each year (http://www.cc25.net/FFF.htm) and is given to every paid member of the convention. That's probably a grand or two off the top, depending on who publishes it. Add the pubs and you're up to another grand or two. There's also possible equipment rental for the Tech Crew.

So all that has to be built into our costs.

To be honest, many of the people who go to CC are in the same boat as you. We share expenses with 1 or 2 other people, which brings down our average expenses (not counting food, etc.) quite a bit. And in turn, Worldcon is making it more and more expensive to go to, pricing many costumers out of it. There's a fear that one day WC will decide it's no longer cost-effective to have a masquerarde, and that would be a shame.

The best advice I can give you is when you hear about a CC, buy your membership immediately after the bid is accepted as the official site. That's when you get the cheapest rate. Ours was $40 when we became official (I think). Procrastination costs.

As for competing at Archon, I wouldn't worry about competing as a Journeyman. The level of competition varies wildly from year to year. The only tough place is the Masters, where it's getting quite crowded. But you shouldn't be concerned about winning something - it's more important to have fun and entertain Archon's enthusiastic, pro-costumer audience.

CapsuleCorp
03-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro-costumer audience, eh? That sounds like something I can get behind. :)

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I understand now, even if it doesn't make it any more possible for me to attend. I would very much like to, believe me I would. Next time, I won't procrastinate when there's even a ghost of a chance of it being anywhere near me (Chicago, then Des Moines, and now St. Louis). Thanks! Much appreciated!

Buddycat
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
You're welcome. Hopefully, your financial staus will improve with time. I udnerstand that there's a bid for a Minnesota location in 3 - 4 years.

khenemetset
03-06-2006, 10:40 PM
It should be mentioned that we will have one day rates.

Any idea on what these 'one day rates' will be? Just curious, not that it'll make it an option for me to go or anything.

Buddycat
03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Lemme double check on that, because we're not really publicizing it all that much. I'm pretty sure that Monday, when there is very light programming, will not cost anything. Friday may be the same thing, but there's no access to the Friday Night Social.

ashleyohtori
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
What time does programming start on Friday?

I'm deciding whether to arrive on Friday or arrive on Thursday.

Buddycat
03-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I don't think it's official, but $50 for one day, which allows you into the masquerade(s) that day. Friday and Monday will most likely be free, but does not allow entrance to the Friday Night Social.

Buddycat
03-24-2006, 07:56 PM
What time does programming start on Friday?

I'm deciding whether to arrive on Friday or arrive on Thursday.

Programming hasn't even begun to get scheduled, but my guess is light programming will begin around 10 am.

Thursday might not be a bad idea, although it would cost you another room night, because we plan to have the Costumer' Suite open in the evening for schmoozing and early pre-registration. It's a pretty relaxed way to meet the staff and other early arrivers.

Eleryth
03-26-2006, 07:41 PM
My friends and I are planning already for this... I keep waiting to see what the programming will be like. ^-^ And for hotel rates to be up so we can book while it's cheap. ;)

Too bad I can't win any of those free passes to Costume-con. That would save a fair chunk of money. I think it's a great idea, though. It'll get the word out there to anime and other costumers about costume-con. And most people usually don't turn down a free con entry pass.

Today's question - what exactly is the Friday Night social? Does it involve some sort of costume contest? Or just costumes for fun?

Dany
03-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Today's question - what exactly is the Friday Night social? Does it involve some sort of costume contest? Or just costumes for fun?

Traditionally, it's just for fun. Usually, there is also a theme involved as well, and CC25's theme seems to be Rock 'n' Roll. Last year's was Stargate related, and the year before was Halloween at Hogwarts.

Hee. I am soooooooo tempted to actually try to go...even though it's the same year I go to Japan. I want an excuse to dress as one of the members of Poison....from waaaaaay back in the day.

Buddycat
03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
My friends and I are planning already for this... I keep waiting to see what the programming will be like. ^-^ And for hotel rates to be up so we can book while it's cheap. ;)

The theory is, the hotel reservation link will be up when the con is a year out, which is soon, but I can tell you now they're $95 single - quad per day.

As Dany said, the social is just that. It's for hanging out, meeting people, etc. You can wear any costume, but since the theme is R 'n' R, any costume, from Elvis to a roady will be welcome. Use your imagination. J-Rock would be just as appropriate, for that matter.

Buddycat
03-28-2006, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=Eleryth]My friends and I are planning already for this... I keep waiting to see what the programming will be like. ^-^QUOTE]

Wups. Forgot to address that.

There will be the usual panels, but we have some special plans as well. when they're firmed up, we'll announce them. But here's a scoop: we will have a Mad Max Car display. :rockon:

Kaijugal
03-30-2006, 12:05 PM

We're looking into booking a bus as a group to go down in 2007. Would you be interested? I'm not looking for a solid commitment, just an idea of who's interested. ^_^

Cheers!
~Dawn :)

Eleryth
03-30-2006, 07:46 PM
We're looking into booking a bus as a group to go down in 2007. Would you be interested? I'm not looking for a solid commitment, just an idea of who's interested. ^_^

Cheers!

A BUS?! There's that many people? Wow. Or would it be a large van with people alternating driving duty? It would be nicer to transport stuff, and I love a good road trip.

Oselle and I thought about driving, but it will take at least half a day, and we don't know about the time off yet. So we're going to look into flights and see how much they cost. It's the Time vs Money thing and which one is worth more in that instance. It's a bit early for me to say right now, but once I'm home in Ontario and know my school schedule and have a job I can probably say. I think I'll be taking an entire week of regardless...

Buddycat
03-31-2006, 09:18 PM

Cheers!

Go for it. We tried to get a charter to Atlanta 3 years ago, but it fell apart because too many people were unwilling to pare down the amount of crap they wanted to bring with them. As one of the early dropouts said, "we're rather stuff intensive". There were also a few people who were unwilling to be tied to a specific schedule, etc.

So a few of us rented a 15 passenger van and made the trip quite nicely.

Depending on the size of your bus and amount of costumes y'all want to bring, you probably don't want to fill more than half the seats with bodies.

Buddycat
06-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Did you miss out on Costume-Con on Memorial Day Weekend, in Des Moines? Did you know you have another opportunity to meet fellow costumers from all over in less than 10 months? Ask anyone who was there – Saeto, Karisu, (and others) – it’s a golden opportunity to learn, strut your stuff, and have a lot of fun!

We’ll have lots of special programming to make this the best CC yet.

Like fast cars and leather? Then you’ll love the (Post-Apocalyptic Car Show)! We’ll have a Mad Max movie recreation, complete with authentic vehicles, costumes and furry companions. There’ll also be a panel on how you, too, can become a Road Warrior!

This shameless plug brought to you by the Co-chairman of CC25.

Eleryth
06-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Looks like I gotta catch upon the older movies before this CC... what little I know of Mad Max came from about 1/2 hour on TV years ago...

Looking forward to the programming/panels! *wants to learn new stuff*

Dany
06-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Actually, instead of catching up on old movies, you might want to brush up on your rock 'n' roll...as that is the theme for CC25. CC24 's theme was epic movies ;)

Personally, if there is any Costume-Con I -should- go to, it's that one...I'm all for pulling together a weekend full of 80's hair band costuming. As a matter of fact, if I could pull together a group of people to pull off the members of Poison, I'd be totally geeky.

Of course, I'd have to actually GET to CC25.......

Bruno
06-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd say that Jem & The Holograms counts as an 80's band.

AuroraCeleste
06-06-2006, 10:18 PM

Darn. And I thought I was going to get away with not making a costume for the Friday social because I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.

:rockon:

Eleryth
06-07-2006, 08:09 AM

Haha, that'd be brilliant!! So any rock star counts, then? Fictional or not? Hmmm.... I might have to rethink my idea... although I must admit I find my idea amusing (it's a secret, sorry).

khenemetset
06-08-2006, 12:18 AM
I sure wish I could go to CostumeCon. :( The one time it's almost right next door to me and I can't go. lol. Hope everyone has fun.

Kokuu
06-08-2006, 01:00 AM
I really want to try and make 2007! After hearing my best friend talk about her experience at CC23 I've really wanted to go. Hopefully if I start putting some money aside now, I'll be able to save up for a plane ticket. If not 2007, I'll definetly be there for 2008, since my parents live in San Jose. XD

Buddycat
06-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I sure wish I could go to CostumeCon. :( The one time it's almost right next door to me and I can't go. lol. Hope everyone has fun.

How's come you can't come and play?

khenemetset
06-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I lack the funds because I'm a poor, but happy, musician. :D

Buddycat
06-13-2006, 10:22 PM
If you're a student, write me offline.

Karisu-sama
06-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Buddycat, you can send her info via Private Messaging here too... ^^

RaDragon76
06-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Wish I could go since it's going to be so close to me too but badge cost is out of my range and sadly I'm not a student anymore. :bigcry: Unless I can somehow save up for it or something but I'm so bad at that.

Buddycat
06-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Wish I could go since it's going to be so close to me too but badge cost is out of my range and sadly I'm not a student anymore. :bigcry: Unless I can somehow save up for it or something but I'm so bad at that.

Well, Friday & Monday are free, and the Dealers Room and the Exhibits will be open to the public. And we'll be selling tickets for the masquerades.....

khenemetset
06-15-2006, 11:30 PM
I wish I was a student too. I guess we'll see what happens. At the moment I know I can't afford it.

I do have a question for you though. I have a student (I teach private music lessons) and she's really into costuming and wanting to go to college for that. What would the rate be for her since she's a high school student? I know you mentioned a student rate before so I'm curious. I plan on telling her about it.

Buddycat
06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
FYI, we've got a special Hall Costume Contest just for Pirates!

You know you've got one, everybody does - so dust off your Pirate Garb
& join us on Saturday, March 31st at Costume-Con 25 in St. Louis.
The contest will run all day with Special Judges to peruse your fancy
threads.

The winner will be announced Saturday night during the SF&F Masquerade
& will be awarded an uber special prize (TBA).

Ulterior motive? You bet! We wanna' see more hall costumes. Can you say "One Piece"? Captain Harlock? I knew you could!

Kaijugal
06-28-2006, 06:25 PM
A BUS?! There's that many people? Wow. Or would it be a large van with people alternating driving duty? It would be nicer to transport stuff, and I love a good road trip.

Oselle and I thought about driving, but it will take at least half a day, and we don't know about the time off yet. So we're going to look into flights and see how much they cost. It's the Time vs Money thing and which one is worth more in that instance. It's a bit early for me to say right now, but once I'm home in Ontario and know my school schedule and have a job I can probably say. I think I'll be taking an entire week of regardless...

Well we considered a van, but then there were so many interested people it turned into several vans, and then it just came around to the bus idea again.

To be honest, because of the scale of most of my costumes, flying is just out of the question. (Which is too bad because I love to fly). I don't see anything changing any time soon, as my waist expands so do my costumes exponentially. XD No matter what everyone else decides, I have a feeling I'll have no choice but to travel on land.

Ah well. Will have a look into all of this as soon as I've survived the last two major cons on my calendar for this year. XD

I'm really hoping to make it to Costume Con this year. If another convention I'm Exec on scheduals against it AGAIN this year, there will be hell to pay. *wry grin*

Buddycat
06-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Well we considered a van, but then there were so many interested people it turned into several vans, and then it just came around to the bus idea again.

Daaaaang! How many of you are talking about coming (and how come they haven't sent their money yet!?)

Eleryth
07-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Daaaaang! How many of you are talking about coming (and how come they haven't sent their money yet!?)

I don't know how many are coming, but as for the money, I would like to send a cheque but am unsure of how to get a cheque from a Canadian account to be in USD. I could just ask my bank, but am currently not in Canada, so that will have to wait for a few months until I can visit my local branch.

My preference is paypal, as I already have US funds and thus don't have to worry about the conversion from CDN to USD.

IIRC, CC does take credit card but it costs more, correct? And we probably lose on the conversion. So I'd rather talk with my friends who are going and see if we can make one payment instead of several. I suspect you'll see a few Canadian applications after the summer con season is over. ^^

Buddycat
07-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Costume-Con 25 is pleased to announce that we are now accepting membership payments online*.

Go to:
www.cc25.net/membership.htm
and click “Pay online” – just follow the directions – super easy!
You will receive a confirmation email requesting more registration details from the committee within a couple of days.

We are also accepting donations which will also qualify your for tickets for the Door Prize.
Check it out!

*There will be a $3 processing fee for electronic membership payments.

Eleryth
07-09-2006, 07:44 PM
SWEET.

Thank you!

We can send more than one membership payment at once, right, and then just provide the details in an email later? Would it still be $88/membership, or just $3 for the transaction?

Now to talk to the buds back home... *is more excited*

Buddycat
07-10-2006, 05:37 PM
That is per person. Since this is Paypal we're using, it takes into account the fee they charge us plus the pubs you get through snail mail (and this will still probably cost us more fer th' folks in Canada, but we're tryin' to make it easy for everybody :) ).

Eleryth
07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense!

*is SO looking forward to this!*

BoinkCoBoy
07-11-2006, 08:34 AM
SWEET.

Thank you!

We can send more than one membership payment at once, right, and then just provide the details in an email later? Would it still be $88/membership, or just $3 for the transaction?

Now to talk to the buds back home... *is more excited*

The CC26 Online Registration system (https://www.cc26.info/interactive/registration_form.php) actually lets you enter all the reg information (or as much as you have... there is a "Friend of" mode) for all the memberships you want and then sends it to PayPal as a single transaction. That saves our reg staff a lot of work entering information, creates user accounts for everyone you register, and reduces slightly the bite that the PayPal fees take out of our memberships.

Buddycat
09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Just an FYI, since not much is going on on this forum at present: the editing of the Future Fashion Folio has been completed, and we anticipate that we will begin mailing them out by mid-October. We will have a sneak preview at Archon at the annual meeting of the St. Louis Costumers Guild on early Sunday afternoon.

grandis
10-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Okay, so you've got me...for Saturday. :) It's a short hop from Iowa, and I can drive down Friday after teaching, and drive back Sunday in order to get things put away and teach on Monday.

We'll see you there, barring giant freak Midwestern snowstorms.

Grandis

Kaijugal
10-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Just an FYI, since not much is going on on this forum at present: the editing of the Future Fashion Folio has been completed, and we anticipate that we will begin mailing them out by mid-October. We will have a sneak preview at Archon at the annual meeting of the St. Louis Costumers Guild on early Sunday afternoon.

A sneak preview?? Argh!!!! *chewing off nails all the way to knuckles!!!* XD

*JEALOUS!!!* ^_~ :toothy:

khenemetset
10-10-2006, 10:36 PM
I guess I'll make a post here. I'm excited to be able to come to costume con (thanks to our Archon win) I can't wait to see everyone I met there and to learn some more about costuming in general.

The Future Fashion Folio is nifty. :D

RaDragon76
10-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I'll be able to attend too, since I also won at Archon this past weekend. I can't wait to meet all of you there and to learn more. I only have one problem and that is what costumes to bring.

Buddycat
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
And we're pleased that you both won. You deserved the award, and we're glad that it worked out that it made it possible for you guys to come.

RaDragon76
10-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm glad I stuck to my guns on those costumes then. We almost didn't do them at all since they were going to cost so much to make. In the end though it was well with all that hard work and time that we both spent on them.

khenemetset
10-11-2006, 08:06 PM
It was a total shock that we won, to me anyway. Thanks!

Alisa
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Woot, Costume Con is in St. Louis this year! Must save up money and get ahead in school work. I didn't get to attend Archon this year, because the loop's arts and music festival was at the same time. So sad. I drove past it like 5 times.

Buddycat
10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Are you aware of our student rate?

Alisa
10-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Oooh student rate? Nope, I did not know of it, but I like student rates. :)

Buddycat
10-24-2006, 08:10 PM
FYI, the last rate change occurs, beginning November 1st. From then on, until the convention, memberships will be $95. Save yourself $10 and get your membership in soon!

Eleryth
10-26-2006, 09:48 AM
I ordered two of them using paypal (one for me, one for friend who has no paypal), but I have yet to receive an email requesting more information. About when should I expect that? I hope the payments were processed; I'm trying to avoid the $10 hike if I can help it!

I don't know what email, but I think it was eleryth AT hotmail.com, if that helps any.

Buddycat
10-26-2006, 05:50 PM
We're beginning to suspect there's some sort of problem getting that to you. We sent the first confirmation the day you registered (the 16th). There have been 3 emails total since that date - one to you individually, one about your friend and then one about both of you because we hadn't heard from you. Is it possible your inbox is blocking it? The domain is mail.com.

In any case, we've sent a new confirmation via another mail account - this time Yahoo, so hopefully you'll get that one. Let us know if you're still not seeing it.

RaDragon76
10-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I was wondering about confirmation emails myself. Will Khene and I be receiving one as well even though we are attending free? I don't believe that we've received a confirmation email yet, though our names are listed on the CC website as having won at Archon. I think the email we used on the form at Archon was admin@silentvow.com (for both of us) but I can't really remember. I was understandably distracted at the time and the rep from CC filled out the form for us, which explains why I can't remember. If you need a different address to send it to I can pm you one.

Buddycat
10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Nope. That's only for the folks who used Paypal to register online. We already got your membership info. :)

Eleryth
10-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Buddycat,

I'm sorry! I didn't get one at yahoo, either. I don't have any strange blocks up, and I check my junk mail and spam all the time to make sure nothing goes in there by accident. I wonder if anyone else who has paid by paypal with a hotmail/yahoo account is also having problems.

I'm quite confused now! I have the receipts for the paypal payments in my hotmail account, so I know that worked. I've got the same name at hotmail, yahoo, and gmail. Since hotmail and yahoo don't seem to be working, willing to try gmail? Or would you rather me email you first?

YAY! Finally got one. No idea what the problem was at all. *confused*

Buddycat
10-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Soooo, you got it in the middle of your post? Okay.

Eleryth
10-27-2006, 09:24 AM
I posted, then saw I had a PM, checked that, then checked email, and it was there, having come in before the email message about having a PM on cosplay.com. Really weird.

But anyway! The important thing is that I got it and have asked my friend for info so that I can send that way.

YAY! I'll be going to a costume con!!
XD

Buddycat
10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Yay! And we look forward to meeting you!

RaDragon76
10-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Nope. That's only for the folks who used Paypal to register online. We already got your membership info. :)

Thanks Buddycat. :) I thought that was the case but I just wanted to make sure.

Shine-Chan
10-29-2006, 04:59 PM
My registration is going out tomorrow. I have had it sitting here ready to go for a while but work at the costume shop is so crazy it is making me want to sleep whenever I am not working. Please ignore the Mr on the address labels the charities that keep sending me these things think I am a man.

Eleryth
10-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Got my CC25 FFF... So Excited! I feel so inspired now. I can't wait to meet people!

grandis
10-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I can't wait to meet people!

I can't wait to meet you!

Grandis

RaDragon76
10-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Can't wait to meet everyone either. I'm excited to be going and lucky that CC happens to be in my hometown next year.

Shine-Chan
11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
My registration came back today even after me rushing out right after I posted to send it. Apparently it now takes 39 cents to send things neither me or my stepdad who got the stamps knew this. Is there any way I can send it back tommarrow and still get the October rate?

Buddycat
11-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I PM'd you.

Buddycat
11-06-2006, 07:18 PM
For any announcements that I don't get around to posting here, bookmark www.cc25.net/news.htm

Matsuo
11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Hey Hey, been a long time...too long...Life should not be such that I forget my dear cosplayers...Lots of new faces, it is I who feel a stranger in this place...Anyway...I'll be there at teh Con.

Matt

Matsucorp (http://p067.ezboard.com/bmatsucorp)...Go there...

Buddycat
11-17-2006, 10:02 PM
A number of things to check out on the News page.
(www.cc25.net/news.htm). For one, we have a tentative stage layout. The stage itself will be considerably smaller than some venues.

Also, anyone thinking of renting a car during the con will definitely want
to check out the link to the general info page from there.

Other bits: location of Hospitality, the "Mouse-kerade", convention hours
and another hall costume contest!

Buddycat
11-18-2006, 02:43 PM
On top of a big science teacher convention the same weekend, opening day of baseball for our World Champion Cardinals is the Sunday of the con, so you'd best get your hotel reservations in ASAP, because we suspect if you wait, the hotel will be booked up. The Viking is a straight show down I-44 to downtown. Also, if you read the news page, car rentals could be a problem, too.

Sarcasm-hime
11-19-2006, 12:58 AM
I wish I had time to make at least one of the neat FFF designs... :(

Buddycat
11-25-2006, 11:15 AM
That would often make a number of us. :)

Eleryth
11-27-2006, 10:48 PM
AHA! Booked my hotel room just a few hours ago. ^_^ YAY!

Thursday at the con rate was booked, so I had to take the non-con rate, which wasn't that bad, only $99.

Buddycat
11-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Hmmm. That's odd. I know we didn't have that many blocked, but let me look into that. I don't think we can expand the block beyond what we had in the contract, but you never know.....

Eleryth
12-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Hmmm. That's odd. I know we didn't have that many blocked, but let me look into that. I don't think we can expand the block beyond what we had in the contract, but you never know.....

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd, but I'm not too worried. It's only a could dollars different; not a big deal.

Buddycat
12-08-2006, 09:37 PM
We are currently seeking panel suggestions for CC25. We will have a track devoted just to anime costuming, along with two other tracks for every other subject. If you'd like to see something, or head up a panel, let us know.

CapsuleCorp
12-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Buddycat - I've been trying to get to your website to get information on the con and it seems to be down. Do you know how quickly I'll be able to get the info on the dates and the registration process?

Buddycat
12-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Try again. We just checked it and it loaded fine.

All the info is right there. We try to be thorough to folks don't have to go out of their way to ask. :)

CapsuleCorp
12-16-2006, 09:01 PM
All right, now it's going. It was completely down the other night, I was throwing every browser at it to no avail. must be the flash or something, I dunno.

Thanks. Now I can give this an honest look and check my budget.

Buddycat
12-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Could be our server was doing some maintenance. Glad you got in, finally.

CapsuleCorp
12-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks.

So, panel suggestions - do you want us to email them to someone in charge of programming, or can we post them here? Because I've got a few thoughts on what I'd like to see, as far as stuff I may need to know about and currently don't know squat. :)

Buddycat
12-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Either way's good. All the people in programming read this topic. Plus, maybe someone else will be inspired to post some ideas, too.

CapsuleCorp
12-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Okay, well. One field I have yet to exploit for my own purposes is fabric dyeing. I'd like to learn about the ins and outs of special fancy things like gradient dyeing, acid dyes, etc. The fun stuff, that adds to the look of a costume (beyond just making a garment a different color than what it came in). And how maybe someone who doesn't have access to a washing machine that doesn't take quarters might be able to do (or fake) some of those fancy dye effects.

And even though I've been to a very informative panel on them, very recently, I would always happily attend another on making wings. :)

Buddycat
12-24-2006, 01:00 PM
We're definitely considering a dyeing panel - I know one or two people do tie-dying quite a bit. We'll check around to see what other kinds of experienced people we have coming.

By the way, a big "Muck Bucket" from a hardware store works rather nicely for dye jobs, if you don't mind doing the stirring by hand.

Wings - hmmm. We could probably do that, if there's enough interest. We had a pretty good turn out at CC24 for one. I had a handout that I gave away of a couple designs I've observed or made myself plus links to sites with other designs.

Maybe we need do another one.....

RaDragon76
12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I have a suggestion to and it kind of goes along with one that CapsuleCorp mentioned. A wig panel would be helpful, especially one that deals with the process of wig dyeing and the how to of making your own wig dye. I know I would be interested in something like that and probably other people who do anime cosplay would also find it of interest since there are a wide range of colors in anime that can be impossible to achieve without dyeing a wig or spending a load of money to have someone else do it for you.

AuroraCeleste
12-26-2006, 03:00 PM
I've got both wig styling and wing making (both feather and fairy) panels planned on my side. I'll work on wig dying, too, that's a really great idea :D

RaDragon76
12-26-2006, 06:23 PM
AuroraCeleste- That's good to hear. I'm planning a couple of costumes with wings in the near future so another wing panel would be helpful to me and I just thought maybe a wig dyeing panel wouldn't hurt either since Capsulecorp mentioned fabric dyeing, which reminded me of it in the first place. I really looking forward to this convention moreso then most of the others I'm attending this year.

Shine-Chan
12-28-2006, 04:50 PM
I have been thinking about this ever since I went there last summer and if the weather is nice on Sunday at the con I would like to go to the Missouri Botanical Garden for a photo shoot. If anyone else wanted to go we could meet up and travel over there caravan style.

As far as I could find on their website as long as we adhere to their photo rules and do our best to not bother the other guests or be pests in general we should be fine. Here are the photo rules. http://www.mobot.org/visit/photopolicy.asp

This is their main site.
http://www.mobot.org/default.asp

Has any one ever tried anything like this before or would want to join us?

RaDragon76
12-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Since I'm a local and a garden member I've been there loads of times, though never for a photoshoot of any kind. I do want to make everyone aware that there is an entrance fee for the garden on Sunday if I remember correctly (unless something has changed of late.) so people will need money to get in and it tends to be a busy place if the weather is good so parking could be an issue, especially with so many other people in town because of the Cardinals home opener and the other convention that's in town that same weekend. Also if you're not a local it can be confusing to get there if you go the wrong way so get directions and drive them ahead of time or you could get lost and a little beyond the garden district is not a place I'd want to be lost in.

It sounds like a fun idea though so I'm all for it. As I said I've never been there for a photoshoot before but I do know that the local anime cosplay meetup group, which I'm not involved with, has done 'photoshoots' there during the Japanese Festival we have over Labor Day weekend and I've thought about having a shoot there with my friends at some point. The Japanese garden might make a good backdrop for photos especially if the sakura trees are in bloom by then and there's also the Rose garden, the Chinese Garden and a few other places that might make good backdrops for photos.

CapsuleCorp
12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
*gasp* if the sakura trees are in bloom...end of March/early April?

duuuuuuuude...

RaDragon76
12-29-2006, 10:04 AM
CC- They've been known to be that early. Spring tends to come a bit early here so as long as there isn't some kind of late winter storm that freezes them out they should just be starting to bloom about that time. The weeping cherries and plums are already at peak bloom then too.

Shine-Chan
12-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Damn that would be amazing. As soon as we went in last summer I started spotting places I had to come back in costume for pictures. My home town has very few good picture taking spots.

If people didn't want to pay to go in the gardens and take pictures we could also try forest park it is free and there are a lot of neat backdrops for photos.

khenemetset
12-29-2006, 11:26 AM
There's also Shaw's park which has some awesome backdrops as well for pictures if the Gardens idea doesn't work out. And of course Forest Park as well :D

Hey Buddycat is there anyway the costumecon people can talk to the Botanical Garden people and maybe see if they can give us a deal or something?

Buddycat
01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Hmm. I think that would depend on how many people want to go. There's probably something on their website about groups. If you guys want to organize something, more power to you. I doubt we could swing anything more for you.

Keep in mind, though, that Sunday will be busy - in addition to the panels, there's the Future Fashion Show, which is pencilled in for 11 AM, and will probably run about 2 hours. And if any of you have a Historical masq entry, tech rehearsal will follow that almost immediately.

khenemetset
01-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Okay. :D Of course with all that's going on sunday it might be a little difficult to get over there. I guess we'll see.

As to panel suggestions. Maybe something on armor? Fiberglass casting perhaps? Or other materials out there that are good for armor making that are not wonderflex.

Buddycat
01-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Got it. We tentatively have one of each scheduled. We'll announce our programming and publish a tentative pocket program on line when we have people confirmed.

Buddycat
01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
We can now announce some new reasons why you should come early and stay late for CC25.

First up: Field Trips

Thursday afternoon/evening will be a run to Jackman's Fabrics, which features some really nice Bridal fabrics, and other unusual cotton prints. We're working on a discount on most items bought that night. The store will be open until 9 pm.

The rest of the trips will be on Monday:

A visit to ST Leather: Suggested meeting time will be 9:30 AM. The proprietors will let people come in and wander around the warehouse to shop (and smell the leather!)

Follow this with: Jackman's Fabrics reprise + Artistic Fabrics: Meet around 12:30 pm, tentatively. Artistic Fabrics adjoins Jackman's but is not part of the same business and is only open during normal business hours. Lots of really nice upholstery fabrics and brocades!

Costumes! A tour of the costume warehouses of both The Repertory Theatre and the Opera Theatres of St. Louis. The St. Louis Costumers Guild has seen the former. Excellent stuff, and the Opera Theatre warehouse is even more fabulous! This will occur at a time during mid-morning, TBA.

=======

VERY tentatively, is a trip to the Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site: www.cahokiamounds.com/cahokia.html. It is the location of the "largest pre-historic Indian city in North America".

Of course, all of these will be dependent on availability of transportation. There will be a signup sheet for the Monday activities for interested parties (and for willing drivers). We may be able to convince one or two staffers to be chauffers, but if anyone is driving to St. Louis for the con, we'd appreciate hearing from them, too.

Then, the CC25 Committee invites all attendees to join us for a mass descending on a local Mexican restaurant Monday evening. We had so much fun doing this last time, at CC16, that we thought we'd repeat the experience.

Then, to wrap up, it's back to the hotel with the Dead Dog Party/Mouse-kerade (once again, originated at CC16).

More details will be forthcoming in PR #3, but always check the website http://www.cc25.net for the latest updates.

It would probably be wise to let us know of your field trip interests ahead of time VIA THE CON E-MAIL ADDRESS (slcg@email.com). That way, we can better anticipate how many drivers we may need.

Eleryth
01-08-2007, 10:04 AM
After all of the excitement and planning, it seems Real Life (TM) has gotten in the way and I can no longer go to CC25.

I'm hoping I'll have enough funds, and time, to make it to 26.

I'll be eagerly awaiting con reports and photos!

Buddycat
01-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Bummer! We were looking forward to meeting you! Oh, well. Maybe one or both of us can make it out to 26. We'll have to see...

CapsuleCorp
01-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Aw Eleryth, I was hoping to meet you too. You always have the smartest things to say around here. :) I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of serious cosplayers from all over who I wouldn't get to meet otherwise.

RaDragon76
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear that, Eleryth. I was hoping to get a chance to meet you as well. You're alway so helpful and nice on the forum. :) I'm also looking forward to meeting more serious minded cosplayers then the ones I see at other conventions. I'm hoping this con will really get my creative juices going and that it will give me some new ways to make different things instead of the usual blundering about that I tend to do. Not that the blundering about I do is bad or anything, it's just time consuming and I'm sure there are easier ways to do some of the things I've done.

Buddycat
01-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm hoping this con will really get my creative juices going and that it will give me some new ways to make different things instead of the usual blundering about that I tend to do. Not that the blundering about I do is bad or anything, it's just time consuming and I'm sure there are easier ways to do some of the things I've done.

Oh, yeah! Our experience is, on the way back from a CC, we get at least a couple of new ideas for presentations we want to do. I'm so far ahead on projects in mind that I've almost got the next ten years tentatively planned. And I dare say you'll pick up some useful info. We're encouraging all our panelists to bring along handouts for people to take home.

keri1966
01-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Ouch! 12:30 for the fabric store trip on Thursday? Wish it was more like 3:30 PM. I'm driving from Louisville, KY (5+ hour trip, depending on how much traffic I run into.) Oh well, maybe I'll check out the store before I leave on Tuesday.

Buddycat
01-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Ouch! 12:30 for the fabric store trip on Thursday? Wish it was more like 3:30 PM. I'm driving from Louisville, KY (5+ hour trip, depending on how much traffic I run into.) Oh well, maybe I'll check out the store before I leave on Tuesday.

Ummm, I think you have the two events confused. There's a trip to the fabric store on Thursday evening, and then the one on Monday at mid-day. So you should have no problems when you come up.

I imagine it's a fairly easy drive from Louiville.

RaDragon76
01-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh, yeah! Our experience is, on the way back from a CC, we get at least a couple of new ideas for presentations we want to do. I'm so far ahead on projects in mind that I've almost got the next ten years tentatively planned. And I dare say you'll pick up some useful info. We're encouraging all our panelists to bring along handouts for people to take home.

Glad to hear that. I've been getting ideas for presentations already. Actually, I've been getting ideas since Archon. Some of them will take awhile to do though since I'm still relatively new to all this and my skill level isn't equal to some of my ideas at the moment. However, I have almost finalized the costumes I"m bringing to Costume Con so at least that's pretty much planned.

keri1966
01-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Ummm, I think you have the two events confused. There's a trip to the fabric store on Thursday evening, and then the one on Monday at mid-day. So you should have no problems when you come up.

I imagine it's a fairly easy drive from Louiville.

Cool. I love that your theme is rock and roll this year. I made a hippie costume a couple of years ago that I love to wear at cons (even had a hotel van driver honk the horn and wave at me as he drove by once, he was grinning ear to ear too!) It looks sort of vaguely Janis Joplin like, as do I. ;)

Buddycat
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
That'll work.

Buddycat
01-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Glad to hear that. I've been getting ideas for presentations already. Actually, I've been getting ideas since Archon. Some of them will take awhile to do though since I'm still relatively new to all this and my skill level isn't equal to some of my ideas at the moment. However, I have almost finalized the costumes I"m bringing to Costume Con so at least that's pretty much planned.

Nothing wrong with ambition.

Re: planned costumes. Lordy. I'm booked up for almost 10 years of stuff I want to do, so welcome to the club. :cheers:

RaDragon76
01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Cool. I love that your theme is rock and roll this year. I made a hippie costume a couple of years ago that I love to wear at cons (even had a hotel van driver honk the horn and wave at me as he drove by once, he was grinning ear to ear too!) It looks sort of vaguely Janis Joplin like, as do I. ;)

I like the rock 'n roll theme too. My cosplay group is planning on wearing costumes from a rock 'n roll themed anime called Gravatation. Should be fun. I'm not sure how many people will recognize us but it fits the theme so we decided to go with it since we are primarily anime cosplayers anyway.

CapsuleCorp
01-25-2007, 10:35 PM
and two of us are even wearing obscure OAV outfits from Gravitation! We like to be completely outside the mainstream, don't we? :D

Say, Buddycat - if I had some questions on skill level qualifications for the scifi masquerade, is there someone I should email, or can I ask here for the benefit of anyone else wondering the same thing?

(note to my cosplay group - I'm not completely in love with entering, I just had a question that would decide once and for all if I want to. :D And I'm not forcing you guys on stage with me!)

AuroraCeleste
01-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Say, Buddycat - if I had some questions on skill level qualifications for the scifi masquerade, is there someone I should email, or can I ask here for the benefit of anyone else wondering the same thing?

You should email the Masquerade Director, Elaine Mami, at ecmami@hotmail.com

You could always ask here and we could debate it and give our opinion, but hers is the final say in the matter.

Buddycat
01-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Aurora is right. To be abolutely certain, e-mail Elaine, but if you want to kick it around here, be our guest.

CapsuleCorp
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh, I was just wondering on the exact qualifications for requiring someone be bumped up from Journeyman to Master class. I really don't think I'm Master level, but I take commissions...so if I would be forced by the rules to compete in Master class then I won't compete. I'll email the director, thanks!

AuroraCeleste
01-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Here are the rules copied from the CC25 Sci-Fi Masque rules page, for everyone following along to see:

COMPETITION SKILL DIVISIONS
The masquerade uses the following skill divisions:

Young Fan (youth) Any contestant 13 years of age or younger who is not part of an adult group.
Novice (beginner) Anyone who has not won an award for a costume in the masquerade at a major regional convention.
Journeyman (intermediate) Anyone who has won 3 or fewer awards for different costumes in the masquerades at major regional conventions.
Master (advanced) Anyone who has won more than 3 awards for different costumes in the masquerades at major regional conventions, world science fiction conventions, or costume-cons, or who has won Best in show at a WorldCon or costume-Con masquerade. Professional costumers must enter in this division.

The skill divisions' purpose is to assure that less advanced entrants do not compete against more advanced entrants. However, any entrant may elect to enter in a higher skill division.

I really don't think I'm Master level, but I take commissions...

JMO, but there's a big difference between someone who takes commissions and someone who is a professional costumer. In my mind the first is someone who makes a bit of money, and the second is someone who makes a living, or at least what could be fairly constituted a living by the general public: for example someone who earns over 10,000 a year (which is a very meager living) would be a professional in my mind. If you do something else, though, like go to school, wait tables, or work in a library then you're not professional unless there are other circumstances (you used to own a business, went to school and learned costuming, make patterns, etc).

CapsuleCorp
01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Okay, thanks. That really helps a lot. I'm already very familiar with the skill divisions themselves, because I've competed at CONvergence for many years and they use ICG guidelines very strictly, but my real worry is whether taking commissions qualifies me as a Master. If Kat was still directing at CONvergence she would make me compete as Master, but she's not anymore, so.... *scratches head*

I'll take it up with the director. Thanks, though - I'm inclined to agree with you. ;) I'm no professional by a longshot, when most pros I meet are theatrical or SCA costumers and do it consistently.

Buddycat
01-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Just wanted to pop in and give a heads up to anyone planning to come to CC25, but have yet to register:

The convention hotel room block will be held until February 27. After that time, we cannot >guarantee< that there will be rooms available. So while we know some of you are planning to wait until you register at the door, you are advised to make your room reservations ahead of time. For more info and the hotel's reservation number, please visit the website.

Buddycat
02-10-2007, 10:00 PM
It's still a work in progress, but the CC25 Virtual Pocket Program is now available for viewing. We're still working on plugging some holes yet, and some things may be switched around, so don't hold us to it. But we thought you'd at least like to see what's planned so far. www.cc25.net/virtualpocketprogram.htm

:rockon:

CapsuleCorp
02-11-2007, 10:13 PM
*gasp* a programming schedule more than a month in advance of the convention, even if it is tentative? YAY!!! I wish all cons were this thoughtful.

Now I better think about registering... ;)

RaDragon76
02-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Now I'm really excited about the convention! Lots of panels that I would be interested in attending, many more then I would normally attend actually. And this is just the tentative program list? WOW!!!! Can't wait to see what else you guys have in store.

Buddycat
02-13-2007, 01:26 PM
That's why it's all-costume, all the time. :)

There are a couple of things we're going to have to wait until the con to see if it comes off, plus there's even going to be a sort of entertainment track in Hospitality most of the day....

RaDragon76
02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
As long as it's as good as what you have so far I'm looking forward to it. There may even be more Costume cons in my future if all of them are like this one. :)

Karisu-sama
02-14-2007, 06:02 AM
*sigh* ...It's official. I can't afford to go to St. Louis this year. :/ 2 trips to Japan (Worldcon plus Job stuff) are gonna begger me. :p

Have a blast without me, though! ^^

(CC26 in San Jose in 2008 I'd better NOT miss, though - I'm staff. :p At least that'll be more local. :) )

CapsuleCorp
02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Aww Karisu! I was looking forward to rubbing shoulders with you!

Enjoy Worldcon. I'm very jealous. Summer in Yokohama... *swoon*

RaDragon76
02-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Karisu- Sorry to hear that. Hope you have fun at Worldcon though. :)

Kaijugal
02-24-2007, 03:34 AM
*sigh* ...It's official. I can't afford to go to St. Louis this year. :/ 2 trips to Japan (Worldcon plus Job stuff) are gonna begger me. :p

Have a blast without me, though! ^^

(CC26 in San Jose in 2008 I'd better NOT miss, though - I'm staff. :p At least that'll be more local. :) )

Boo! That means I'm not going to get to meet you after all. ^_^; Ah well. I hope Japan is a good experience for you. I bought a membership for the Japan bid in 2003 thinking I'd be able to go by now. No such luck. ^_^; Ah well.

Have a blast for all of us who can't make it, and we'll do the same for you in St Louis. :thumbsup:

Buddycat
03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Just like Casey Kasem, we're countin' 'em down - it's 30 days until CC25!

Buddycat
03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
11 days left to register online.

CapsuleCorp
03-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Buddycat, in your opinion, would I be better off getting my registration in by the 17th, or just registering at the door? Since the price is the same. I let it lapse since I didn't really have a deadline, and other bills needed to be paid first. :) But I'm absolutely going, no worries.

Buddycat
03-07-2007, 10:52 AM
The only thing I can think of is that you can't pay by credit card at the door. Other than that, depending on how many walk-ins we get, we may run out of certain con publications for full weekend memberships who have not pre-registered.

CapsuleCorp
03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Ah, well I'm not worried about publications. :) Can you register Thursday night or just pick up your badge then? If the latter, then I'll pre-reg, otherwise I won't worry about getting myself to the post office ASAP. At least, not for that reason.

Buddycat
03-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Registration does not officially begin until Friday morning. Only pre-regs can pick up their packets o' goodies on Thursday night in the Con Suite.

CapsuleCorp
03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Aha! Reason enough to pre-reg, then. Thanks! You've been mondo helpful and I can't wait for the con.

Buddycat
03-09-2007, 01:28 PM
We aims to please....

Buddycat
03-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Aha! Reason enough to pre-reg, then. Thanks! You've been mondo helpful and I can't wait for the con.

Got your check, by the way. We'll have your materials out to you soon.

keri1966
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey Buddycat, are there any anime related stores in the St. Louis area? (ala House of Anime in Atlanta, etc...)

Buddycat
03-15-2007, 03:51 PM
The closest one we have is Animagination, at St. Louis Mills Mall. They are one of our dealers, as a matter of fact. However, I'm not sure what they will be bringing - since it's a costume convention, I don't know if they will have much stuff as far as video, manga, etc. is concerned. I'm betting they'll have a few costume accessories, mostly. However, if you need a stuffie for the Mousequerade on Monday, they're the prime source. Before they changed to their current name from Wizard's Wagon, they had a table at CC16 and they sold the mice puppets that were used at the first CC Mouse-kerade.

The Mouse-kerade was sort of a spontaneous event. When my wife bought one of the mice puppets, everyone thought they were so cute that they had to have one, too. Then someone got the crazy idea to make costumes for them (at the con, mind you), and, so the story goes, it was suggested we have a masquerade for stuffies. I believe this was the wife's idea, also.

khenemetset
03-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey Buddycat what's expected of us membership winners in regards to that panel we have to be at on Saturday. Are we expected to wear those award winning costumes to that panel or no?

Buddycat
03-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Depends. Are you competing in them? Then that's probably not advisable. I'd ask the MD to be absolutely certain. The rules generally are that you should not wear your competition costume before you actually have appeared in the masquerade.

Now that you've asked, I'm wondering if a general announcement needs to be made to all of you winners about that......

khenemetset
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
We weren't planning on competing in them at all. I figured we'd wear them around the halls at somepoint during the weekend, I just wanted to ask to make sure that we weren't supposed to wear them for the meet and greet panel.

Though now I'm curious. Our costumes (Pharaoh Tutankhamun and Lord Meren) since the characters are from a book but, King 'Tut' and the costumes are historically based, what masquerade would we enter if we changed our mind?

Thanks for the information.

RaDragon76
03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
That's a question I was wondering about as well. I was curious where our costumes would fit as far as competing was concerned. The costumes are not completely historical in nature since they're from a work of fiction but they don't really fit in the sci-fi/fantasy/anime masquerade either because of they are historical in a way. We couldn't come to a conclusion about it on our own and so we had decided not to compete rather than to present our costumes in the wrong masqerade. If there was a way to clear this up then it would help us in making a final decision about when/if to wear them in the hall and/or whether to compete in them. I did print out the reg forms for both masquerades in case we decided to compete.

Buddycat
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Sounds like that would easily fit into the "Historical Interpretation" category. Check out http://www.cc25.net/hist_rules.htm #7 B, C & D. On the other hand, the wife sez Sci-Fi. I urge you to contact the two masquerade directors and get their opinions, rather than deny yourselves the opportunity to present your costumes at an International venue.

supergeekgirl
03-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Sorry to steal the thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm back on the forums after being away for a few months. I'll see you all at Costume-Con. Mikhail and I are running a few panels. What's sad is that I never found the name of the hotel on the website, and Mikhail asked me where it was the other day. I finally started searching the site and found that it was about five miles from our apartment on the same road. That's so exciting! If anyone coming in from out-of-town wants to stay with us, that would be awesome.

khenemetset
03-17-2007, 09:12 PM
You two are pretty close. RaDragon and I are about 10 minutes away. It'll be good to see you two again

Eleryth
03-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Trying to unload these...
Feel free to pass on to those who you know are going and aren't on c.com:

I have 2 memberships that I have to transfer to someone else as they're non-refundable. They were bought in October, so they tickets were $85, and I paid with paypal, so there was a $3 charge, so they're $88. At door now is $95, and after Mar 17 all memberhips will be "at door" only. All in US$ of course.

I know chances are slim, but if anyone wants one/them, or knows someone who wants to go last minute, please let them know. At this point I'd love to get all the money back, but I realize chances of that may be slim. :/ I'd rather make something than lose nearly $200 US (a lot of money for a broke student).

I thought I had someone who wanted one, and emailed her a few days ago, but she hasn't replied yet. I'm assuming she doesn't want it.

Just PM me if interested.

Hope everyone has fun. I really wish I could go. :(

AuroraCeleste
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
That's a question I was wondering about as well. I was curious where our costumes would fit as far as competing was concerned. The costumes are not completely historical in nature since they're from a work of fiction but they don't really fit in the sci-fi/fantasy/anime masquerade either because of they are historical in a way.

JMO, but it's all in how you present it. The two masquerades have a very different approach and feel to them. If you're competing in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Anime masque, then you want to bring pictures of what you tried to do and emphasize how your costumes look just like the source you were working towards. If you're competing in the Historical masquerade, you talk about how authentic and true to the period your materials and methods were, or why you chose to do something different if your methods and materials aren't authentic (ex: sewing with a machine is acceptable if you can prove it would take too much time by hand, etc). I believe Historical requires documentation, too, which is research to prove how historical your garment is.

khenemetset
03-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I suppose we'll see what the individual directors say on the matter, as it's really up to them. Personally, I don't think it falls under the Sci-fi/Fantasy/Anime Masq because it's none of those things.

The characters are Pharaoh Tutankhamun a historical figure and Lord Meren who is fictional from the Lord Meren mystery series by Lynda Robinson. The Tut costume was constructed using images from reliefs of him, historical information on clothing and it's construction and other things found in the tomb including recreations of a pairearrings, a broadcollar, the crook and flail and the Diadem. Meren had to be totally taken from description in the books though the author did her research so while the character is fictional his clothing is totally taken from similar sources as Tut though I did design aspects of the costume. It's not really a simple drag in a picture and give it to the judges issue. Not that documentation is an issue as our documentation is extensive.

I suppose the real crux of the matter is would it be considered historical interpratation or historical recreation if it fell in the Histrical catagory because you have a real person and a fictional character

Buddycat
03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
. What's sad is that I never found the name of the hotel on the website, and Mikhail asked me where it was the other day. I finally started searching the site and found that it was about five miles from our apartment on the same road. .

Say Whaaaaa?!!!? Where did you look? The link to that info is right there on the nav bar, or the site map, or the "Red Hot News"! page or the http://www.cc25.net/hotel.htm page, or the.......

Buddycat
03-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I suppose we'll see what the individual directors say on the matter, as it's really up to them. Personally, I don't think it falls under the Sci-fi/Fantasy/Anime Masq because it's none of those things.

The characters are Pharaoh Tutankhamun a historical figure and Lord Meren who is fictional from the Lord Meren mystery series by Lynda Robinson.

I suppose the real crux of the matter is would it be considered historical interpratation or historical recreation if it fell in the Histrical catagory because you have a real person and a fictional character

The characters are not the crucial issue - at least where the Historical masq is concerned, and it sounds like that's definitely where these would go, IMO. You will be judged on your costumes first and foremost. From your overall description and what you plan to present firmly puts you in the Interpretation Category.

khenemetset
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Well I heard from Byron and the matter is all settled. ^^ It would be historical dress/recreation since we're not deviating from the standard attire that was worn.

Buddycat
03-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Hmm. Okay. Byron's the final word on that.

supergeekgirl
03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Say Whaaaaa?!!!? Where did you look? The link to that info is right there on the nav bar, or the site map, or the "Red Hot News"! page or the http://www.cc25.net/hotel.htm page, or the.......

Yeah, I didn't look hard because I wasn't planning on getting a hotel room. My plan was to wait until a week or so before and then try to find out where the hotel was. I found it on the news page when I actually took a minute to look. :)

Buddycat
03-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Eh. We've just had a lot of "I can't find..." because people would rather ask than look themselves. <shrug>