PDA

View Full Version : cameras... breaking?

Firestar
01-25-2006, 01:31 AM
yeah so i dont know if this is actually a topic i can post here.
but what the hell, im desperate and have to give it a shot.

i have this camera;;

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Canon%20PowerShot%20S50%20Digital%20Camera:19912 06160

and its only about two years old.
i took the camera to school to shoot videos for myspace (hah)
but i drop the camera.
i dropped it while sitting down, so not a big fall...
nothing broke off of it.
and i tryed turning it back on and it still worked.
then after i recorded videos as before.
turned it off to do something for about 20 minuets.
come back to record something else...
and the camera wont turn on.
the battery has been fully charged.
i wanted the camera to bring somewhere.
i've also taken this camera to shows and mosh pits and beaches and school before. just all over where it had a huge risk of getting banged up (that sounded wrong. haha), but still worked.
everyone is telling me its probably the battery though.
but either way...
so im wondering;;

1] what could be wrong with it...
and
2] how can i fix it/get it fixed. (and how much would it cost)

the camera wasnt like, crazy expencive or anything, but at the same time, i'd rather not have to get a new one.

i wanted it for anime-la on saturday...
and even more importantly, we need it to take pictures of the house for a real estate agent.
so this is somewhat urgent.
thanks to anyone that has any ideas.

<3

Sasutard
01-25-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm making an educated guess here and just pondering if maybe you might have made some coils or wires that connect from the battery to the actual places were the power needs to go, and bumped them out of place during the drop? I've never had to fix a camera, actually I just got my first digital cam for the winter holidays <_<;; so again, I'm just making guesses. I'm sure someone else here will have more educated responses xD I think for camera repair, the cost totally depends on what needs to be fixed, and if it's something minor like that, it shouldn't be too pricy.

Firestar
01-25-2006, 02:24 AM
oh but they can be fixed?
where would i have to take it to be fixed?

Ami Yuy
01-25-2006, 04:28 AM
It's very likely something got shaken loose inside. I had a camera that I dropped twice within a few days and it worked fine after the first time but then after the second drop, stopped working. We got it fixed, but it was never quite the same (and currently just plain doesn't work ^^;; ).

How long have you had it? If you've had it within your warranty you can most likely send it back to Canon and get it fixed and I think it could be free. Even if the warranty is expired I think you might be able to send it to them, but it would cost you money.

Otherwise you can probably take it to a camera store around you and get it repaired, although calling first and asking if they do repairs and how much would be a good idea.

Whether or not it can be fixed can be told to you by where you take it, but they'll have to check it out to see probably.

Firestar
01-25-2006, 09:36 AM
ahh.
thats... not good.
i guess i'll just take it to somewhere local.
if i ship it off i wont get it back before ala =/
thanks.

Ami Yuy
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
ahh.
thats... not good.
i guess i'll just take it to somewhere local.
if i ship it off i wont get it back before ala =/
thanks.

There's no guarentee that even if you take it in today it'll be back to you before ALA. The camera shop might have to ship it off anyway to get it fixed. You might want to ask if they have any loaners you could borrow or any you could rent so that you can still have a camera for the con.

deleriumx
01-25-2006, 04:07 PM
there is very little chance you will get it back by saturday.

i broke my digi cam, sent it off to olympus, they fixed it for free as it was still under warranty. but their website makes it clear that it will take one week to fix. which, in my opinion is pretty quick. i am not sure if a local camera shop would be much quicker and i am almost certain they wouldnt be able to do it in less than 3 days. but you might as well call around and ask.

Firestar
01-25-2006, 10:55 PM
oh i thought they could have one day fixing things.
dont know.
but i think i should start searching around by tommarow for somewhere to fix it.
and if they cant by that time at least borrow one off of a friend.

last question (hopefully)
is there anyway to possibly fix it at home?
my dad actually works with cameras for his job... so is there possibly anything he could do with it?

*feels stupid asking so many questions* haha.

Super No 1
01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
I work in a very similar industry. I repair lenses that are used for videography and cinema. When we recieve items for repair, it may take one or two days for a tech to examine the item and give it an initial diagnosis.

When you take a camera to a camera shop for repair, a lot of repairs are not done on-site, especially if the camera has to be taken apart. They are shipped to the manufacturer or some other authorized repair facility. The camera shop just serves as a go-between.

Trying to fix it on your own is risky. Your best case scenario is that you've somehow knocked a power connector loose and you can repair it with a quick solder job. But, since the camera was dropped, it could be anything. If you take it apart, you always run the risk of doing further damage to the camera.

Ami Yuy
01-26-2006, 12:06 AM
I very seriously doubt that it is fixable in one day.

I would ask him if there's anything he can do, as he is the one who knows. ^^;;

EDIT: What Super No 1 said.

Firestar
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
ahh.
either way im completely screwed.
thanks for the advice peopleee.