PDA

View Full Version : This is my...um...first time

Sullenshady
02-14-2003, 12:39 AM
...going to an Anime convention, that is.:D Just want to hear from Anime North "veterans", what I can expect there (besides table after table of anime-related merchandise I could never hope to afford...). What kind of events, shows, etc. do they put on? Should I enter in the masquerade, or will I be humiliated for life? Thanx, and hope to see some of ya's in May.

MikigamiTokiya
02-14-2003, 12:50 AM
this is my third year and it's a pretty good con for you to start out with. It helps if you have friends there and/or plan out what your gonna do off the scheduel...if not you'll end up like me just wandering aorund looking for sumthin to do the entire time lol. they have a decent amount of rooms showing anime and a game room. If you have patience enter the masquerade but remember you'll be waiting in there for a while *_*UU They have their infamous red and white show w/ lots of random shows the put on w/ alot of audience interaction so that could be fun for ya. hmmn for anything else check out the website cause they chould have mosta everything you need. oh yeah it helps if you get a hotel room @ the actual hotel where they're having it because it sucks walking there from a diffrent one.

Sakura
02-14-2003, 06:40 AM
KARAOKE! Yes, the karaoke contest will be my favorite thing this year. Even if I freak out and my voice squeeks I will still have fun. Also, you can get autographs ^_^ They're having almost all of the english Gundam Wing voice actors there, and even Heero's Seiyuu, too! I can't wait to get autographs~! The dealers room is the best part, cuz it's so big. Just try to get there first because sometimes there aren't doubles of things- if you see something you like, buy it, because chances are it won't be there when you come back.

stillvisions
02-15-2003, 01:03 AM
Cool, good to see new people out all the time.

Panels are great fun to attend/speak at, and a lot of the theme rooms will have special games/contests/activities. For those who really want to meet anime celebs you can see them at some of the events too; lineups happen, but there's plenty of people to talk to.

As for the masq, well, if you sorta know what to expect with it go for it, but it might also be good to have a look first and make sure. Or, at least run your masq idea past some friends who've been before. Regardless, the masq is always supportive, and it looks to be a lot of fun for the participants, but it can be good to know what you're in for; especially when the number of acts is likely to be in the triple digits given last year's.

But I always say to go for it... :)

IdatenMiki
02-15-2003, 01:13 AM
this is my second year attending, almost all of the otaku's are really nice and friendly... -_-'' i've got a "friend" who runs around video-taping people and she's well.... quite energetic to put lightly... just thought i might warn you. anyways, the rave on saturday is alot of fun.

stillvisions
02-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Yeah, you show up in costume and the cameras will be out.

Of course, the rules/ettiquette say that nobody has a right to take your picture, and most people will ask, but it would be annoying to have to refuse everyone and try to stop people who take pics without asking.

Oh, and if your picture is taken, expect it to be posted online somewhere; as you can see, picture posting is pretty common, so if you're not comfy with the pic being online, it's better to let the photographers know beforehand...

(being a photo person, it's tough to keep track of what photos are for public consumption)

But if you're cool with all that, cosplay on!

rainetomoe
02-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Don't forget to check out the charity auction and the concert on Sunday! ^_^

Sullenshady
02-17-2003, 12:58 AM
Thanx for the input guys. I haven't decided about the masquerade yet...it'll probably depend on a) how good I can get my costume to look and b) if I can actually convince any of my friends to join me. The rave/j-pop dance thing sounds interesting (but alcohol free? I'm legally allowed to drink in Ontario now, and I was hoping for a chance to take advantage of that...j/k :p )

Erilan
02-17-2003, 01:03 AM
Yeah... unfortunately its alcohol-free. :bigcry:

Kia
02-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Erilan
Yeah... unfortunately its alcohol-free. :bigcry:

Dude, you don't need alcohol to have a good time! :p

Erilan
02-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Kia
Dude, you don't need alcohol to have a good time! :p
I know, I always have a good time. But alcohol makes that good time even better. I bring smiles to peoples' faces when I'm drunk. ^^

Sullenshady
02-17-2003, 08:35 PM
On second thought...alcohol + DDR style J-pop = not the greatest combination ;)

nyamiko_chan
02-18-2003, 09:40 AM
i wanna go DDRing...but everyone so afraid to go out wif me...
T-T *anata wa baka desu* (loosely translated..or what i wanted to say...Idiot people..)

rainetomoe
02-18-2003, 03:24 PM
I love DDR!!!! I go to Pacific Mall and DDR there whenever I can! I have the game and dance pad for my PS, but that doesn't compare to the arcade game. ^_^

Sion
02-18-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by nyamiko_chan
*anata wa baka desu*

Actually that means "You're an idiot" hehehehehe, but anyways, I... yes... have never palyed DDR before... <~~deprived, and trying to convince my friend to buy it hahaha I'm poor, but anyways maybe at the con I should try it out =D and fail... but practice makes perfect!! =)

Eriku-san

Scoti
02-18-2003, 09:19 PM
I think I've played a total of 4 times..twice embarrassing myself to the point where I stopped playing mid-song lol

Yuna-X2
02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
I wanna play! Where do I find a place with em?

stillvisions
02-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Um, if you're in the Toronto area, Pacific mall has it up in the richmond hill area, and the arcade just north of yonge and dundas has some as well.

They're also great for the initial D arcade game, though there sadly probably won't be any of that at AN.

Yuna-X2
02-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Nope, more near the Ottawa/Kingston region. Any sugestions for around there?

stillvisions
02-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Hm. Don't know Ottawa, but there may be one in the only surviving arcade in Kingston that I know of (I lived there for six years up until September)...

The arcade on Princess between Montreal and Bagot might have it, but no guarantees; I haven't been there in a while. It's got Initial D: arcade (which makes me happy), but I don't remember eurobeat blasting when I was there last so I'd have to be doubtful.

Good luck on your quest...

Edit: Oh, and it's a great thing to try out, but I'm terrible at it. I've played about 10 times, and I feel like such a klutz because these really good players are sitting there watching me flail. Go me!

Sullenshady
02-20-2003, 09:51 AM
I used to live around Ottawa, and my parents still do so I'm back there often, but to be honest I've never seen a DDR machine anywhere. Come to think of it...does Ottawa even have any arcades?

Yuna-X2
02-20-2003, 01:45 PM
*gets mental image of Jean Chretien burning out in an arcade in Ottawa*

Hehhehheh

stillvisions
02-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Well, Jean certainly is not an ordinary fella...

*sorry for the DDR joke*

Kingston had none for a while (other then the handful of games in the pool halls and on campus) but the one they had re-opened.

Arcade's are just too expensive to maintain for most cities now. Kinda sad really.

coscrew
02-20-2003, 02:36 PM
yeah, it's pretty hard to find a machine out of toronto,...

last year Dolce and i went to new york city and we found an arcade with one 5th machine. it cost 2.50 us for one play @_@

there was a whole group of people there playing and singing and dancing around the machine and it frightened me.. it was like a whole big ddr sing along.. most were playing basic or trick at most... the poor souls.. i got on and the one guy was trying to tell me how to play,..

i was thinking to myself.. wtf,.. i OWN every ddr cept for for konamix *shudder*

that was not a fun ddr experience... ddr and large crazy new yorkers do not mix... @_@

coscrew
02-20-2003, 02:40 PM
btw, what do they have at Pac mall now? i havn't been up there since like october @_@

please tell me they still have ppp, bishi bashi and fist of the north star.

ATATATATATATA... you're already dead.

stillvisions
02-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Dunno, I'm too lazy to transit out there when the arcade near Eaton centre has what I want mostly (DDR Extreme and Initial D)

Actually, it's probably for the best: I've already spent way too much cash on ititial D and version 2 is over at Pac mall. They've got Para-Para there, but I don't know beyond that.

My main addiction is Initial D, but I decided to give DDR a try when I found the arcade totally empty one day.

Wow, you figure that New Yorkers would be up to date on that sort of thing.

*checks site*
Okay, I remember your FF characters from AN.

Silly Martin: he's been leeching bandwidth from my site from his LJ for several months now. *shrug* Maybe I'll "fix" the pic he's leeching sometime and see if he notices.. :)