PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Comics TORONTO COMICON 2006 - Looking for Cosplaying Volunteers

JustinCredible
01-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Taken from ComicBook Convention Forums (http://www.comicbookconventions.com/forum/index.php?topic=2451.60)

First off... I understand that the majority of the posters are of the anime/manga fan persuasion and the term 'comic book+convention' often push folks away... so I bring forth this chunk of news first...

RENEWED EMPHASIS ON MANGA, MANGA = COMICS (too!)

Our Manga coordinator and business partners are developing programming and events to appeal to the Manga buyer/reader. As you may or may not know, Manga is the Japanese word for comics, so we feel that this fits completely within the focus of the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon.

COMICON COSPLAY

Recently we have received a flurry of interest in people wearing costumes to the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. To that end, Audri Celeste will be taking on the role of Cosplay Coordinator. Watch for an announcement soon about a call for Cosplay volunteers, contests and incentives.

does cosplay include star Wars characters or Just Anime?

I think as far as we are concerned it means any type of costume, including Star Wars.

Now the actual information that will be of most interest to the cosplayers here:

This year we've decided to add in a little something different for the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. We've had a lot of people approach us about cosplay this year, so we've decided to give the people what they want! How can we say no to those big puppy dog eyes? There are quite a few plans in the works to add in a little spice for our cosplayers, and attract new cosplayers! I've been named the Cosplay Coordinator because i'm super cool or something (I heard Kev say something about "god among humans" while we were discussing it, but he was mumbling because he's bashful or whatever).

Anyhow, here's the deal!!! We're looking for some volunteers to cosplay at our show (both men and women). Your job as a cosplay volunteer? Wander around the con in your costume and be the life of the party! Pose for pics, chat with people, help us out with announcements and advertising, kiss some babies, and save some nuns from a burning bus, and defeat the almighty Godzilla (well... maybe not the nun part, but you get the idea).

Unfortunately we can't just let everyone with a costume be a volunteer. We're going to limit the number of volunteers that we bring on, because we know there are just too many people with fabulous costumes (or "manly hardcore costumes" if being called fabulous makes you uncomfortable). We're now taking applications for cosplay volunteers, so if you're interested, will be at our show, and want to use your powers for good, fill out an application and send it on in! The deadline for applying is March 17th, so don't be late! You can send it fax, email, or deliver it in person. All of that info is on the application.

Please note: Anyone is welcome to attend the show in costume, we encourage it! You do not need to fill out a volunteer application to come in costume and have a good time! Also, this is not limited to manga costumes. Many people seemed a bit confused regarding that.

Download The Application Here: http://www.paradisecomics.com/cosplay_app.doc

And the actual site of the convention is http://www.torontocomicon.com/

TribalButterfly
01-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Wow

I'd love to go, it's definatly intrieging, but unfortunatly, with all the days I'm taking off already this year, I think if i ask for any more days off of work, asking for days off work won't be much of a problem for me anymore :)

heki-chan
01-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Wow

Please don't post one-word posts, it's not particularly constructive, Thanks!

=================================

This looks pretty nifty!
I skimmed through the blurb, if you get accepted it basically means free admission right? (Versus the AN/TT/CN system of pay first, work, get refund later system?)

Elemental
01-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I think I might just attack this with a wet herring.

Pompeii
01-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I think I might volunteer....Just have to get that costume thing done in time XD lol If only money grew on trees >w<

Natty Dread
01-31-2006, 02:36 AM
darn, it says all applicants have to be 19+.....that leaves me out, im only 18.....

Scoti
01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Sounds like fun! Has anyone found out what the limited number of volunteers are?

Infini
01-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Anyhow, here's the deal!!! We're looking for some volunteers to cosplay at our show (both men and women). Your job as a cosplay volunteer? Wander around the con in your costume and be the life of the party! Pose for pics, chat with people, help us out with announcements and advertising, kiss some babies, and save some nuns from a burning bus, and defeat the almighty Godzilla (well... maybe not the nun part, but you get the idea).

I'm considering this (and hopefully if I do want to volunteer there will be some spots left by the time I decide), but is there any more detail on what we would actually be doing? I'm mostly just wondering what type of announcements/advertising we'd be participating in, and if we have to volunteer for a certain number of hours...etc. I'm just relatively new to volunteering stuff and don't quite know what to expect yet. =D

Saving nuns and defeating Godzilla sounds acceptable... but forget about the baby thing. No babies. o_o;

sumopanda
02-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Firstly, thank you Justin for helping spread the word! You did an awesome job of it, and i'm really pleased to see a good response here!

darn, it says all applicants have to be 19+.....that leaves me out, im only 18.....

Even if you can't volunteer, you can still show up in costume and have a good time! However, my advice is; Apply anyways, we'll be making a few exceptions here and there based on the quality of the costumes and such. Our reason for setting the limit to 19+ is because we want our volunteers to join us later at any after-show parties that might take place, but we're not willing to smuggle in anyone who isn't legal age.

I'm considering this (and hopefully if I do want to volunteer there will be some spots left by the time I decide), but is there any more detail on what we would actually be doing? I'm mostly just wondering what type of announcements/advertising we'd be participating in, and if we have to volunteer for a certain number of hours...etc. I'm just relatively new to volunteering stuff and don't quite know what to expect yet. =D

Saving nuns and defeating Godzilla sounds acceptable... but forget about the baby thing. No babies. o_o;
Mostly there aren't a whole lot of duties that you'd be saddled with. You would mostly be walking around chatting with people, posing for photos, and just generally being the life of the party. Wander around, say hi to the fans, if someone working at our show asks for it, you could (if you're comfortable and willing) briefly help them attract some attention to their booths by directing people to it, or helping them shout out praises or whatever whacky thing it is you guys could scheme up. A lot of it is mostly just playing by ear, and most importantly being social and helping make the place more festive. I hope that answers your question, if not you can send me an email at pandaxian @ rogers . com or just ask here. Oh, and by the way... Godzilla WILL be there, and he'll have his fightin' shoes on! So be ready!!

On top of all that, we'd really like to promote that manga IS comics. ;)

kuko-chan
02-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Wow, this sounds exciting! I have so many costumes to choose from these days! I'd love to participate! The Toronto Comicon is in April, right? My 19th birthday isn't until June. But what if I didn't want to participate in any after-show parties? Could I still be qualified?

Also, just to narrow down which costume I should wear, does Harry Potter count for anything? I know someone asked about Star Wars, but technically, Star Wars has it's own comic/manga, so they count, but what about Harry Potter? I have an awesome Slytherin costume.

EDIT: The ticketbreak link on their page doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Do you think you could give me an idea of how much a Saturday pass would cost?

sumopanda
02-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow, this sounds exciting! I have so many costumes to choose from these days! I'd love to participate! The Toronto Comicon is in April, right? My 19th birthday isn't until June. But what if I didn't want to participate in any after-show parties? Could I still be qualified?

Also, just to narrow down which costume I should wear, does Harry Potter count for anything? I know someone asked about Star Wars, but technically, Star Wars has it's own comic/manga, so they count, but what about Harry Potter? I have an awesome Slytherin costume.

EDIT: The ticketbreak link on their page doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Do you think you could give me an idea of how much a Saturday pass would cost?

I'm glad to hear you're excited about this! We're really having a good time putting this together, because as you all know, costumes just make things more fun! I know it says 19+, but if you're 18 send in an application anyways! It's fine also because you've said specifically that you're not interested in the party afterwards. I hope to hear from you soon about this!!

Anyhow, I feel like a dope, I should have included this link with my first post. It has the answers to all of your questions! It's magical!
http://www.paradisecomics.com/cosplay2006.htm

Also, the ticketbreak thing is working now, but to answer your question, one day is $18, and a 3-day pass is $34. If you're taken as a cosplay volunteer you'll get free admission :bigtu: so it's good good!!

I encourage anyone here who is interested in this to send in an application!

kuko-chan
02-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Alright, I sent in my application. The pictures of my costume aren't of the greatest quality, but I think it gets the job done.

archangeli
02-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Ah.. an oppurtunity for me to get back to my comic book roots :p

We'll see if I can make it or not.

sumopanda
02-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Bumpity Bumperson! I'm still looking for people to apply as volunteers! Also, please check out my new thread about our freshly announced Costume Contest!
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=1313562#post1313562

Cash Prizes and more :bigtu:

kuko-chan
02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Actually, I have another question. I already sent in an application, but what if I want to add costumes to the list? I have one or two I think would fair better against my Slytherin uniform. I'm just about finished a Rosette Christopher costume (Chrno Crusade) and a Thief Rikku costume (X-2) minus the scarf. How would I tell the peoples that I'd like to add two more costumes?

sumopanda
02-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Actually, I have another question. I already sent in an application, but what if I want to add costumes to the list? I have one or two I think would fair better against my Slytherin uniform. I'm just about finished a Rosette Christopher costume (Chrno Crusade) and a Thief Rikku costume (X-2) minus the scarf. How would I tell the peoples that I'd like to add two more costumes?
You can send in as many costumes as you want :) Go ahead and send the other pics, i'm lookin forward to seeing them!!

ps- does it make me a geek if i'd wear the slytherin uniform around town just for fun and style? Hehe!

kuko-chan
02-23-2006, 11:35 AM
You can send in as many costumes as you want :) Go ahead and send the other pics, i'm lookin forward to seeing them!!

ps- does it make me a geek if i'd wear the slytherin uniform around town just for fun and style? Hehe!
Oh I don't think so! I've been wearing the cloak sometimes when I go grocery shopping because it actually keeps me warm! ^^