PDA

View Full Version : Badge ribbons

Daosh R
02-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Ok! Lets find out what cool ribbons everyone had on their badges! ^^ I had: Shake hands fan,my first time and hall costume award. ^_^:bigtu: Great Idea Chaz!

Sonsko-chan
02-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Shake Hands Fan-First one to get it!!!
My first time
Jailbait
Drama Queen
Anime otaku
Death will not release you
Unofficial photographer

I also bought a Glomp me, Cheesecake, and Fan girl
-I put the 'glomp me' on the Elysia Hughes doll that my friend had with her
-'Fan girl' went on Hughes(Earthbounder)
-'Cheesecake' went on DJ

Daosh R
02-02-2006, 12:03 AM
I still dont quite get the "cheesecake" ribbon. >_o??

Michi
02-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I thought they were kinda cute but I didn't really understand them. @_@

It got kinda overboard when people had like, a bunch of them just hanging down forever. XD; But whatever floats yer boat~

Hazel Chaz
02-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Ok! Lets find out what cool ribbons everyone had on their badges! ^^ I had: Shake hands fan,my first time and hall costume award. ^_^:bigtu: Great Idea Chaz!
Congratulations on the Hall Costume Award.

I can only take partial credit for the ideas; the "Shake Hands Fan" was Christian's idea, when Tadao was invited to be either TM or FGoH at Demicon in 2004. And badge ribbons in general have been around for many years, you just haven't seen them that often at anime conventions.

One of the things that got me thinking about them was when I was FGoH at Windycon in Chicago, in 1999; the previous year's FGoHs gave me their leftover stack of ribbons that said "Met the FGoH." Since then, when I've chaired conventions, I've tried to make sure that the Fan GoH (and often others of the GoHs) have some sort of ribbon to hand out to the people they meet. This year at Anime Los Angeles 2, our FGoHs were handing out "Pretty Boy" and "Unofficial Photographer" in addition to Tadao handing out his ribbons.

(I'm surprised at how few of last year's members came up to get their "Perfect Attendance" ribbons; we gave away a lot more "my first time" ribbons. I just counted them back in, so I know this for a surety.)

I still dont quite get the "cheesecake" ribbion. >_o??
Well, I'm not sure how many readers here realize this, but "cheesecake" is an old-fashioned term for a pin-up beauty. Think of the beautiful ladies on the WWII warplane nose art, or Betty Page or Marilyn Monroe. That's the sense I use it when I'm handing them out for free. What people are thinking when they buy one for themselves I couldn't begin to guess...

daoutlaw
02-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Cosplay *for the masquerade*
Shot by a bear *got it at Akibiyori. They didnt sell it at ALA so it's rare ribbon*
Shake Hands Fan
Perfect Attendance

aznbassplayer
02-02-2006, 12:16 AM
i just got the shake hands fan badge...

BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE I SHOOK HANDS WITH DAT GUY! I REMEMBER WATCHIN BONZAI ALL DA TIME! HE'S SO TITE!

Daosh R
02-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Hmm..pretty cool info Chaz.Overall I thought they made the con more fun and clever and were a better way IMHO to get your message across instead of those silly cardboard signs. ^^

Eurobeat King
02-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Karisu-sama gave me the "Pretty Boy" ribbon.. ;)

Hazel Chaz
02-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Cosplay *for the masquerade*
Shot by a bear *got it at Akibiyori. They didnt sell it at ALA so it's rare ribbon*
Shake Hands Fan
Perfect Attendance
Didn't pass out "Shot by a bear" because I forgot my camera. Didn't take a single picture all weekend.

At Akibiyori i handed out the "Shot by a bear" ribbons as I took pictures of people, and I was attempting to take a picture of every single person. Therefore I would know by how many ribbons I gave out how many people were there. (70-something, if memory serves.)

Hmm..pretty cool info Chaz.Overall I thought they made the con more fun and clever and were a better way IMHO to get your message across instead of those silly cardboard signs. ^^
Some people noticed that EarthDaughter Arts in the dealer's room also had a variety of message pin-back buttons -- handy because they're quite reusable.

daoutlaw
02-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Didn't pass out "Shot by a bear" because I forgot my camera. Didn't take a single picture all weekend.

At Akibiyori i handed out the "Shot by a bear" ribbons as I took pictures of people, and I was attempting to take a picture of every single person. Therefore I would know by how many ribbons I gave out how many people were there. (70-something, if memory serves.)

which makes it rare in my book. Especially considering people put the ribbon on their Akibiyori badge while I saved mine for ALA.

Karisu-sama
02-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Cuz ya are one, Al. XD

I made darned sure my kids were wearing "Jailbait". :p

I demand to bestow the "Pretty Boy" ribbons for all future cons to come!!! Muahahahaha!!!! ('course, we could also get "Bishounen" printed up, neh? :) )

Daosh R
02-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Haha hopefully Ill earn the "Pretty boy/Bishounen" next time LOL!

Gainax Boy
02-02-2006, 01:04 AM
I now make it my Life's Mission to get a Pretty Boy ribbon!!

Not even God himself can stop me!!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

P.S. I got 13 ribbons at ALA ^^;;

Hazel Chaz
02-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Cuz ya are one, Al. XD

I made darned sure my kids were wearing "Jailbait". :p

I demand to bestow the "Pretty Boy" ribbons for all future cons to come!!! Muahahahaha!!!! ('course, we could also get "Bishounen" printed up, neh? :) )
See me next time you run into me, then. I'll pack some for you. See you at Anizona?

Jailbait -- We were handing out Jailbait ribbons to all the minors, in part so that we could keep a discreet eye on whether anybody hassled them. We actually threw out one drunken lout from the Rum Party who made one young lady very uncomfortable.

Dany
02-02-2006, 01:24 AM
D and I both had the following:

My First Time: Because we were ALA Virgins :D
Pretty Boy: I got mine because of wearing VHD, and D...well, he's just a hottie :)
2 Hall Costume Awards: Because we changed halfway through the day
Shake Hands Fan: Already explained, but had to be explained to me :)
Cosplay: Because we had to get Speshul Rights as judge and judge's clerk

One I have had in the past but not for this con (though I saw it!) was Gender Outlaw. That one, given how many male costumes I have? Self explanatory :D

I wanted a Jailbait one for when I was dressed as Robin. In fact, I still want one, but I want to make it removable and only for when I'm wearing her (because the character is 15).

LadyAmaryllis
02-02-2006, 01:39 AM
I didn't have any idea what they were, so I was confused when the guy gave me a "My First Time" badge. I said, "My first time what?" And Eric was like, "Being here, stupid - why do you think he just asked you if you'd been to the convention last year?" Oops, I'm kinda slow. XD

I also got a Hall Cosplay Award. Hooray! Dorothy was really rushed so I didn't expect that, certainly >.>

How did you get the other ones? Were people just randomly handing them out?

Daosh R
02-02-2006, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=Gainax Boy]I now make it my Life's Mission to get a Pretty Boy ribbon!!

Not even God himself can stop me!!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!QUOTE]
Hahaha! We should go On an anime con journey to become a"prettyboy"!:toothy:

Hazel Chaz
02-02-2006, 02:14 AM
I didn't have any idea what they were, so I was confused when the guy gave me a "My First Time" badge. I said, "My first time what?" And Eric was like, "Being here, stupid - why do you think he just asked you if you'd been to the convention last year?" Oops, I'm kinda slow. XD

I also got a Hall Cosplay Award. Hooray! Dorothy was really rushed so I didn't expect that, certainly >.>

How did you get the other ones? Were people just randomly handing them out?
Some were being randomly handed out. My s'daughter Maria, in the Costume Repair Station, was handing out Browncoat ribbons to people who could answer "Firefly" trivia questions. Kris, at Registration, had the "Straight but not narrow" ribbons, and my wife Lynn had the "No I don't know where Chaz is" ribbons.

But most of them were available for sale at the ribbons/t-shirt table. The money taken in goes towards printing more to give away at other conventions...

I've started writing up a list of the "official" ribbons, by the way. (http://www.animelosangeles.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=184)

stefaniecat
02-02-2006, 02:35 AM
I absolutly adored the ribbons.. never could find the guy handing out the "Its not a fetish, its an interest" one though ><

Between my boyfriend and myself we picked up:

Browncoat (not knowing what was going on at the time but recognizing "Kaylee" the first time we saw her and then acting all fanish)
My First Time - because it was
Death Will Not Release You - his - because his FFXI screen name is Chrisofdeath
Unofficial Photographer mine - though he deserved it too because he was shooting a lot of photos I was in lol
Good Kitty mine - though I'm sometimes a bad kitty too...
Shake Hands Fan because that story about the cats and the table was just hilarious.

I think the ribbons were a great way of raising money, but for me they were also a wonderful souvenier.

... My boyfriend and I are also contemplating getting a ribbon set to hand out to people that recognize us in our costumes ^^ Because they were just that cool

Kurai_811
02-02-2006, 04:50 AM
me had:
Volunteer: i worked 15 hourz!(yay?) and dindt get a shirt! >( and pre-registered for ALA3, b4 i realized i couldda gotten a free ALA3 pass! XD *baka*
Perfect Attendance: WOO HOO!!! XD phear me all u nu peoplez! XD
JailBait: i got this one cuz me thunk it was really fun. XD and u kno it be true ^u~
I <3 Yaoi: *grin* <D must i say more? XD
Anime Otaku: YAY! ^u^
Chibi: this one was weird, i was doing karaoke or something, (i dont remember what exactly) and some girl runs in, hands me this ribbon, then leaves. i was like: "o.o nani? wth? *looks at ribbon* ...aw cool! a chibi! <3 ^______^"
Nihongo: dose this even count as a normal ribbon? i gots it by registering for Nippon 2007. (which i'll hafta cancel if i can, cuz the cons only like, 1% anime/manga, and a trillion% science fiction, which really isnt my thing ;-; )

Chaz, r u accepting ALA3 ribbon ideas? howwa bout "Karaoke Addict"? i have a friend who did the Karaoke, and that ribbon would suit her perfectly! :bigtu: ^__^ (if your reading this>) u kno who u r, u DDRing, karaokeing Sakura/Hitsu(something)! XD *can never remember the name of that Bleach character* o>_<o gomen!

off topic, and something few ppl will probably understand:
(KATAMARI sing along!) na-naaa-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-naa-na-na- na-na-na-naa, KATAMARI, DO YOUR BEST! XD

ManchesterCA
02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I was sad, the ONE badge I really wanted I could not find the person!

"It's not a fetsih it's an interest"

That badge is definately me HAHAHAHA...I will post up the rest of my ribbons later ^_^

Hazel Chaz
02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
me had:
Volunteer: i worked 15 hourz!(yay?) and dindt get a shirt! >( and pre-registered for ALA3, b4 i realized i couldda gotten a free ALA3 pass! XD *baka*
You can transfer your paid membership to someone else. Just tell us whose name to put on it. As for your shirt, did you fill out a t-shirt voucher with your name, address, and size? We'll be ordering a few more and we'll send you one. I need to meet with Cathy from Volunteers to determine how many to order. And if you just didn't get around to claiming your shirt, depending on your size I might have it right here waiting for you.

Chibi: this one was weird, i was doing karaoke or something, (i dont remember what exactly) and some girl runs in, hands me this ribbon, then leaves. i was like: "o.o nani? wth? *looks at ribbon* ...aw cool! a chibi! <3 ^______^"
They make lovely gifts, don't they?

Nihongo: dose this even count as a normal ribbon? i gots it by registering for Nippon 2007. (which i'll hafta cancel if i can, cuz the cons only like, 1% anime/manga, and a trillion% science fiction, which really isnt my thing ;-; )
The ribbon actually says "I'm studying Japanese" so it's a very dangerous ribbon to wear if you're not very fluent yet!

Chaz, r u accepting ALA3 ribbon ideas? howwa bout "Karaoke Addict"? i have a friend who did the Karaoke, and that ribbon would suit her perfectly! :bigtu: ^__^
Yes, we're taking suggestions -- click here to get to our ribbon forum. (http://www.animelosangeles.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=184) Karaoke Addict has a nice ring to it.

I was sad, the ONE badge I really wanted I could not find the person!

"It's not a fetsih it's an interest"
Christian certainly was a moving target during the convention; and a couple of times he was off-site, so you wouldn't have found him anywhere. The trick, actually, would have been to ask one of the older staff members to call him up on their cell phone.

YoshidaEri
02-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I was confused by them, but I still thought they were cool. All I got though was "cosplay"

Tifa on a Cloud
02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Let's see. I got only the reward ribbons.

My First Time

Browncoat - for recognizing Kaylee

Pretty Boy

Unofficial Photographer

Kawaii - for being the only guy to survive the entire yaoi panel

Shake Hands Fan

Volunteer - I helped with break down.

At Ani-magic I got

Anime Otaku

Glomp Me

It's not a fetish, it's an interest

Fan Boy

Excessively Preoccupied

Earthbounder
02-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I got 2 official ribbons..."My First Time" and "Hall Cosplay Award"

As well as 2 unofficial, one of which who was given to me..."Fangirl" and "Glomp Me"

Yeah, the fangirl one was a little weird to get, but people seemed to think it was funny >.>

Sonsko-chan
02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I got 2 official ribbons..."My First Time" and "Hall Cosplay Award"

As well as 2 unofficial, one of which who was given to me..."Fangirl" and "Glomp Me"

Yeah, the fangirl one was a little weird to get, but people seemed to think it was funny >.>

Quiet you! You liked it!
-I did give you a 'Glomp Me', but removed it for your daughter!=D

AuroraHermione
02-02-2006, 07:56 PM
I didn't get any because I had no idea how to T_T

YoshidaEri
02-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I didn't get any because I had no idea how to T_T

Same here.

Solaria
02-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I had "Perfect Attendance" and "Hall Cosplay Award", and there was a girl who shyly gave me a "Kawaii" ribbon, but then ran off. ^-^;

Last year I had "AMV Winner" and "Death Will Not Release You", I believe.

Super No 1
02-02-2006, 09:08 PM
I got:
Perfect Attendance
Unofficial Photographer
Pretty Boy

Ribbons are fun!

HybridTwist
02-03-2006, 01:58 AM

Haha, me too. :rockon:

RivetSPOOn
02-03-2006, 02:12 AM
I had My First Time, and Volunteer, because... well, both were true! XD And I wasn't doing enough running into people to get any of the others, and I had no cash to buy the rest. Always next year. We need some for the dance, dammit! XD Stuff for the DJ to hand out ^_^

Rogue Marvel
02-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I had
perfect attendance
Kawaii
Browncoat

Last year I had alot more but I was on the light side this year

Yay browncoats!

Sagara-san
02-14-2006, 03:01 AM
I got

My First Time

2 Browncoat Ribbons- The first one was recognizing Chaz's s'daughter as Kaylee from the Rum Party III. I scored the other one for Rocco Botte also known as one of the Mega 64 people for answering the Firefly trivia question, "Who was the leaf on the wind", when they were at ALA on saturday. Funny thing about getting a Browncoat ribbon is I'm gonna cosplay as Simon Tam at AX 06 and this ribbon is my sign that I am allowed to be a Firefly/Serenity cosplayer.

Mr. Shake Hands Fan-I got it on Sunday while he complimented me on my being Dr. Wierd, the announcer at the Cosplay Comedy Half-time Show.

stefaniecat
02-14-2006, 12:59 PM
I Funny thing about getting a Browncoat ribbon is I'm gonna cosplay as Simon Tam at AX 06 and this ribbon is my sign that I am allowed to be a Firefly/Serenity cosplayer.

Squee! More Firefly peoples at AX is purry! I'll be doing River's battle outfit there and *crosses fingers that it will be finished* I'll have my boyfriend as Mal... if you see us I demands pictures!

Sagara-san
02-15-2006, 04:46 AM
Hey alright! I got my pics of my Simon Tam with my sister-in-laws stethascope but with a beard, lookin like if Simon was mixed with Jayne's heavy face shadow. For AX I'll be borrowing my brothers stethascope and penlight. I will also make a sign that says "Free checkups for ladies" and hopefully in mandarin text. I'll definitley take pics when we get to the gathering.

Check it out
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=589252

EccentricShinob
02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Ok, check this out ^_^

(only the last 9 were from this year)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Perfect Attendance
Scavenger Hunt Seeker
Hall Costume Award
Hall Costume Award
Hall Costume Award
Volunteer
Cheesecake
Silly Ribbon
animé otaku
Space Cadet
JAILBAIT
:meet me at: ANIMÉ Los Angeles
Its not a fetish, it's an interest
FAN BOY
Ribbon Slut
EXCESSIVELY PREOCUPIED
(now the ones from A-LA '06)
Perfect Attendance
Pretty Boy
Shake Hands FAN
STRAIGHT but not narrow
Immortalized in song
Party Host
Flexible
Muggle
Nice Kitty =^.^=
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Giving me a grand total of 25 and as long as my arm.

Mwahahahaha! I am the Ribbon King!!
:skidude2:

Gainax Boy
02-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Ok, check this out ^_^

(only the last 9 were from this year)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Perfect Attendance
Scavenger Hunt Seeker
Hall Costume Award
Hall Costume Award
Hall Costume Award
Volunteer
Cheesecake
Silly Ribbon
animé otaku
Space Cadet
JAILBAIT
:meet me at: ANIMÉ Los Angeles
Its not a fetish, it's an interest
FAN BOY
Ribbon Slut
EXCESSIVELY PREOCUPIED
(now the ones from A-LA '06)
Perfect Attendance
Pretty Boy
Shake Hands FAN
STRAIGHT but not narrow
Immortalized in song
Party Host
Flexible
Muggle
Nice Kitty =^.^=
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Giving me a grand total of 25 and as long as my arm.

Mwahahahaha! I am the Ribbon King!!
:skidude2:

Only cause you cheated and re-used ribbons from last year =p

I still win for this year with a total of 13 ribbons.

BSaphire
02-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I have two pics of Gainax Boys Ribbon tail from Friday.... by Sunday it grew another 2 or more inches *LOL

EccentricShinob
02-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Only cause you cheated and re-used ribbons from last year =p

I still win for this year with a total of 13 ribbons.
Ok you win that one...

Firestar
02-19-2006, 01:35 AM
hahah i so stood at this counter for about 10 minuets staring at the list.
i didnt see any that i liked that much that they still had and that i didnt get last year.
oh wellllll.

firedramage
05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
The ribbons I got were: "Kawaii" and "My First Time"

I hope to get more next year, if i'm able to make it. The convention was alot of fun.