PDA

View Full Version : Best wood? And Commission?

DarkEternal
02-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey, Im making a Keyblade for Otakon, and I was wondering what kind of wood is the best to use for the handle, and...erm, tip part?
Also where can I find this wood?

Part two:

To make the rest of Soras Costume, for a 14 year old of a
5'0 height and 75 lbs weight, about how much would somebody charge to have that made so I can get an Idea?

Cocoa
02-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Hmmm...balsa wood is nice and light and easy to shape, although you'd probably have to coat it in something to make it a little stronger. Try seeing if there's any Home Depots in your area, they'd probably have it, and might be able to suggest something that might work better. Just be warned at a lot of woods are going to be reeeeally heavy. Dunno how big the keyblade is, but I have a friend who made a sword about a foot and a half long, four inches wide, out of more regular construction-type wood, and he got tired of carrying it around real fast.

Commissions, I don't know. I make my own, or get my mother to help me.
-Cocoa

Spooky Brew
02-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Talk to Kusanagi. He just made a keyblade for Celine and it looked awesome! Just give him a PM!

Babbit_Chan
02-16-2003, 10:30 PM
For commissions, you would have to ask around. Different commissioners price differently on different things. Time and materials can be weighed in different lights =/

Here's a looong list of commissioners you can contact:
http://www.geocities.com/babbitcosplay/commissioners.html

Hotaru Kageshi
02-17-2003, 06:29 AM
Which keyblade do you plan to make? ^_^ The Halloween Town is my most favorite. Anyway, you could go to a craft store and scavenge for potential materials. (sorry, I don't know much about making cosplay props. As you can see, other people have better suggestions than me.) Then see what you can do with a hot glue gun! (Now I have to make a keyblade too for my Senior Trip to Disneyworld! I want to freak out as many people in Disneyworld as I can! Woohoo! )

KuroBara
02-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Hotaru, I hate to burst your bubble, but Disney has rules against wearing costumes in their parks. They will not let you walk around with a big prop, either.

AnimeParty
02-17-2003, 10:17 AM
I commission alot. If you'd like some information, names or my own suggestions, PM me. ^_^ I'll be glad to help.

Hotaru Kageshi
02-17-2003, 12:36 PM
T_T Oh well...I guess it's okay then. I'll just enjoy.