PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to a con in modesto, ca?

Miaka No Baka
07-31-2002, 01:10 AM
Would you go to an anime convention in modesto, ca? Reason why im asking is some friends and i were thinking about it. The central valley in california doesn't really have a convention, there's going to be a convention in fresno, but it's pretty far away. Modesto is 1-2 hours away from the bay area to the east give or take on traffic. Before we really get serious and start getting in contact with people who can help we just want to see how many people out there would be willing to attend such an event. If we were to hold it we would pick a date where there isnt another california convention too close to it to allow for more people to be able to afford it. If we get a good deal of people wanting to go to one there it might become a reality. ^_^ So please vote! For a first year we wouldnt expect it to be bigger than recca con, but we'd try and have most events 24 hours if possible (like gaming room, video showing rooms, etc...)

Thanks in advance,

Miaka no Baka

Miaka No Baka
07-31-2002, 01:29 AM
of course it'd cost money silly. Not sure how much. We're looking at holding it at the modesto convention center/ central plaza thingie and the double tree hotel (right smack dab in the middle of modesto) plenty of restaurants and things to do within walking distance for those who dont' have a car. There's something like 38 different shops and restaurants nearby and the large brenden theaters (who boasts a ddr max 2 machine @ only 1 dollar for 4 or 5 songs)

We'd try and keep the cost low under $40 for the weekend im guessing. It all depends on what funding we can get and how much things cost for renting etc...

Miaka no Baka

Ukayoru no Chou
07-31-2002, 05:20 AM
Sounds cho-sugoi to me! :D and for lack of anything except that to say [ its around 2:00 am..I dunno what else I can say anyways.. -_-;;; ]
THIS WOULD BE SO GREAT ^^^;; just hope it all works :D

Jinx
08-02-2002, 01:29 AM
_Another_ con in California???

There aren't even any cons in Arizona!!! :P

Ken-chan
08-02-2002, 08:19 AM
I would go.. ^_^ I mean.. an anime con is an anime con.. o_o they are awesome.. I've been to a few smaller ones.. like Animazement and that was really fun ^_^;;

Michi
08-02-2002, 09:21 AM
Now, I live in California and my reaction to this was also, "ANOTHER con in California??" X_x;

There's already conventions in Santa Clara, San Francisco, Pittsburg, Lancaster, and Long Beach. X_X; And those first three are ALL within two hours of Modesto. :P

Perhaps if you put it in the first half of next year... Since Fanime is at the end of June, there's those other months available. ^_^; But I think I'll be trying out other cons during that time.. like Katsucon, Anime Oasis, and A-kon (again).

*pets crying wallet*

Miaka No Baka
08-02-2002, 09:29 AM
That's what we are going to try our best to do; is hold it when there isnt one already happening. If and this is a big if we can pull it off for the 2003 con season we'd shoot for sometime before june 2003. Maybe feb-april would be our time we'd pick the dates from. Perhaps we might even try for a 3 day con since it seems like the pricings for the convention center arent too high.
We shall definately try to at least have a 2 day con. Why are we coming up with this idea? Simple because if we want to go to a con we have to drive at least 1.5-2 hours to get to one. We saw plenty of people from the modesto/valley area at AX and some at fanime too so we thought why not offer the valley area something that we dont have to drive too far for. It's still on the drawing board we're going to start soon to try and get other clubs in the area to join in and get a staff set and then start fundraising.

Miaka no Baka

Miaka

Kenshin Ken
08-02-2002, 04:12 PM
hmm... another CA con ^^;; well I'd probably go, although I wonder where IS modesto...^^;; * is bad with directions* ^^;;;

soshi
08-02-2002, 06:54 PM
CA needs a con in the spring. I am soooo pissed Fanime moved - I can't go now. -_-

Miaka No Baka
08-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Modesto. ok you know where the valley is in california correct? Livermore teeters near the mountains err hills I should say that lead to the valley. Basically if you're coming from san jose-ish area you just hop on the 680 north then get on the 580 east. Take that a long way (it makes up close to 1 hour of the trip) it'll turn into the 205 then you'll come to tracy then you get on the I-5 north (don't take south cause you'll get way lost if u've never taken that way) you will see a sign too that says Modesto use I-5 north. The 205 just kinda dumps into the I-5 so just stay on that for only 2 or 3 exits (dont stay in the right most lane but the one next to it cause i think there's an exit only or two there) and take the 120 east. Then you take it for a real short 10 mins or so then u see the 99 junction get on the 99 south and within 15 mins give or take you'll be in modesto. Depending on where in modesto u wanna go will depend on which exit you get off at. ^_^; It's not too far really. I used to make the drive from santa cruz every other weekend and it wasnt too bad. Just watch for CHP on the 580 near the altamont pass and on the 120 and 99 they tend to lurk around there especially since off the 99 is a CHP dispatch office.

Miaka no Baka

Nadeshiko
08-02-2002, 09:55 PM
Wow! Another Cali con?!

Hm...I'm up for it. I would love to have it be around the earlier part of the year since the first Cali con (at least to my knowledge) isn't until Fanime.

Sounds good. ^^

Mei Lan Chang
08-03-2002, 09:17 AM
Um helloo? Another con? What could go wrong!? West Coast cosplay rules! I'd be camped outside the doors a week before so I could be first in! Well...maybe not. But I would go for sure.

Babbit_Chan
08-06-2002, 03:21 AM
Another con would be pretty awesome - i seriously wish there was a con in Solano County, though >_< Oh well - I'll be moving in about a month somewhere around Walnut Creek - maybe that'll help my road time? >>; But go for it in Modesto! XD

KikiChan3127
07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Hell yes we would (says the entire Modesto Otaku Club xDD ) Need any help? =D

simpletelly
11-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Yes!!!!
Is this post still active?

NiGHTmaren
11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Necroing an old thread, closing thread.