PDA

View Full Version : Sepia and resizing

KaineMaxwell
02-12-2006, 03:50 PM
When you take pictures and desire to use a Sepia tone, do you do it yourself through your photo processing program, or take the picture in that tone? Also, if you do image correction on the sepia photo, does it sometimes look less-sepia (I dunno how to word it, will show pics soon)?

Do you resize your pics when you upload them to photobucket, deviant, flickr, or your own photo albums?

stefaniecat
02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
First off, I work with a Cannon Digital Rebel, and I shoot at full quality JPG mode ^^

1) I take all my pictures in color - because then I have _all_ my options open for post-processing work in photoshop.

2) If I want sepia, I use photoshop (though I've gotten some nice 'auto' sepia tones in PhotoFiltre a few times)

3) If it looks less sepia, then I need to adjust my color tones - I usually go tri-tone color, so I adjust my yellow-brown coloring until I get it the way I like it

4) And yeah, I have to resize all my images (and for some reason, despite following the directions in my help file, I can't get the auto-batch process to work...:lost: )

TomodachiFriend
02-13-2006, 01:33 AM
I never use the in-camera special effects. I might want to give the picture a different feel when I'm in a different mood.

Ollie
02-13-2006, 07:39 AM
I have a friend who recently did some amazing nighttime shots precisely by having extra lights on her and shining them while the camera exposed.

As for resizing, I post 1600 x 2400 images, but even that is scaled down from 8 MP. Anything past about 4MP is pretty much overkill, and at higher resolutions the camera can become even less forgiving. Shooting at 8MP makes it easy to crop and such, though.

KaineMaxwell
02-13-2006, 07:46 AM
I usually stick with a res of 1600x1200 myself. If you go here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y188/kainemaxwell/2-12-06/

I've got shots I took yesterday, the sepia shots unprocessed and the first few are the sepia shots I did process.

staereo
02-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Im heading to bed, but I just wanted to offer quick points of interest before I head out for the night.

Sepia==>
1) In camera processing is rarely better than the potential of post processing via computer software.

2) In camera processing is more convenient as long as youre not overly picky about the results and are sure you wish to do nothing with the picture except the exact way you take it. Easy to go full color=> sepia after its taken, but hard to go sepia=> full color usually.

Resizing=>

Always resize on your own, do NOT leave it to website resizing, as they do a very poor job, often so bad as to warp color and add artifacts, even in downsize.

I can present examples if anyones interested. I am sorry if i repeated info, as I havent taken the time to read other replies yet.
Bruce

stefaniecat
02-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Sepia==>
1) In camera processing is rarely better than the potential of post processing via computer software.

2) In camera processing is more convenient as long as youre not overly picky about the results and are sure you wish to do nothing with the picture except the exact way you take it. Easy to go full color=> sepia after its taken, but hard to go sepia=> full color usually.

Icompletly agree with both of those points. That is the very logic I use for shooting in color, always. Because I can always do B&W with it later, or go sepia later, and this way I don't limit my options.

staereo
02-14-2006, 09:06 AM
^.^ Thank you! Thank you!

KaineMaxwell
02-14-2006, 10:09 AM
If I'm gonna do something in b&w and or sepia, I usually take it in color first, then do the other one, or two, so I can physically compare them when I take them off my camera.

Miyu
02-14-2006, 05:25 PM
i agree with kaine.. for sepia i usually start with a color photograph and then desaturate it in photoshop. after desaturation, i'll go to color balance and adjust the tones until i have the desired sepia tone. it's best to work with a combination of yellows and reds, in my experience. this is an example of a photo that went through the process i've explained above: http://pics.livejournal.com/aitsu/pic/000719wq

KaineMaxwell
02-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I found the method for doing sepia in PSP also:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/paintshoppro/ht/pspsepia.htm

natsukoarts
02-15-2006, 10:54 PM
agree with kainemaxwell, also coulr use colour photograph, then desaturate, or change to mono (B&W) mode, then switch to Duotone mode and use the blue-yellow settings, and set the yellow higher than the blue to get a sepia.

Christy McGrath
02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
You guys all have the right idea. My preference is always to use the camera to take the shots, then Photoshop do do the effects. More versatility that way. Never rely on the camera to get the sepia tone right, although you could correct it. You have a better chance with 'off-line' processing rather that in-camera effects.

Christy x