PDA

View Full Version : Characters that play the violin

Vinya
02-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Yes, I KNOW there was a thread like this started 11-04-2002, (view it http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2734) but I'd like to expand the question to both males and females.

Yes, I know about Hijiri. ^_^

Eva 01
02-17-2003, 11:54 AM
What u want to know characters who play the violin? Let's see all I can think of is Sailor Neptune...... O and, well in Death and Rebirth, Asuka plays the violin.......

Cait
02-17-2003, 11:56 AM
We need a compilation list...

Cait
02-17-2003, 11:57 AM
O and, well in Death and Rebirth, Asuka plays the violin.......

So does Kaoru?

Eva 01
02-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah, doesn't Rei too, I think Shinji is the only one who plays a different instrument....

Cait
02-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah, doesn't Rei too, I think Shinji is the only one who plays a different instrument....

Rei plays the viola.

Eva 01
02-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Oh, duh stupid me, I don't know much about string instruments, ha, Death and Rebirth was too confusing for me anyways I can't remember any of the first half.

Cait
02-17-2003, 12:12 PM
How about all around? This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Anime: Violin: Female:
- Kaiou Michiru (Sailor Moon)
- Sohryu Asuka Langley (Evangelion)
- Candy (Candy Candy)
- Hazuki (Ojamajo Doremi)

Anime: Violin: Male:
- Quatre Winner (Gundam Wing)
- Hijiri Minase (Yami no Matsuei)
- Nagisa Kaoru (Evangelion)

Anime: Viola: Female:
- Ayanami Rei (Evangelion)

Anime: Cello: Male:
- Ikari Shinji (Evangelion)

Anime: Piano: Female:
- Anthy (Utena)
- Tenou Haruka (Sailor Moon, manga)
- Raiel (Violinist of Hameln)

Anime: Piano: Male:
-Kaoru Miki (Utena)
-Quatre Winner (Gundam Wing)

Anime: "Keyboard": Male:
- Yaten Kou (Sailor Moon)
- Seiya Kou (Sailor Moon)
- Taiki Kou (Sailor Moon)

Anime: Guitar: Female:
- Haruhara Haruko (FLCL)

Anime: Guitar: Male:

Anime: Harp: ???
- Kendappa (RG Veda)

Anime: Flute: Male:
- Trowa Barton (Gundam Wing)
- Alan/Ail (Sailor Moon)

Anime: Lute: Female:
- Deedlit (Record of Lodoss War)

Anime: Recorder: Female:
- Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Anime: Drums: Male:

Game: Ocarina: Male:
- Link (Legend of Zelda)

Game: Ocarina: Female:
- Saria (Legend of Zelda)
- Sheik/Zelda (Legend of Zelda)

Tell me more, I'll edit.

Vinya
02-17-2003, 12:15 PM

Havta add this one. ^_^

//edit

Candy Candy! How could I forget! ^_^
Anime: Violin: Female
- Candy (Candy Candy)

The edit-button is miraculous. ^_____^

Cait
02-17-2003, 12:19 PM

Havta add this one. ^_^

Done! ^_^

scandia
02-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Deedlit plays the lute in a ROLW OVA episode.

Kendappa from RG Veda plays the harp.

ChibiRinoa
02-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Haruka Tenoh from Sailor Moon plays the piano, at least in the manga, and i think maybe once in the anime

Ali-kun
02-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Quatre is just so cool he plays both piano AND violin. At least, I'm assuming it's a violin. Darn you people talking about violins and violas and confusing the Ali ;_; (I was a band person, myself, I played the clarinet - we didn't have any string instruments, that was for the orchestra)

SummerOtaku
02-19-2003, 10:29 AM
In the anime "The Get Backers" there are several characters that play the violin in one episode...a main character, a little blind girl with a dog, and a bad guy.

SynVanSiWes
02-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Don't forget Hamelin from Violinist of Hamelin. Although his violin is the size of a cello, it makes the sounds of a violin.

Cait
02-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Hamelin is the person's name? It's male, right?

j-chan
02-20-2003, 04:00 PM
the name's hamel. :D & he's a guy. his violin really does look a cello! (what can i say, i was obsessed with the violinist of hameln for the longest time. XD) as for the other characters... raiel plays the piano. sizer plays the flute. pandora plays the violin.

let's see if i can think of anyone else... hrm. technically, cloud plays the piano. & does tifa. remember when you could go into her house in ffvii & mess around with the piano in tifa's home? ghaleon from lunar: the silver star story plays a lute, i think.

would you say sana from kodocha plays the keyboard? she does her nori-nori thing with her babbit... thing. :o and the girls from idol project all play their own little instruments in the final number- i'll have to check to see what exactly they play! zelgadis from slayers plays the guitar in try!

i know as soon as i post, i'll remember something else... bah. i'll come back if that happens. ;3

TheLoneWolf
02-20-2003, 04:14 PM
From the Anime "Get Backers".Chars that play the Violin:
Mido Ban
Otowa Madoka
Akutsu (something)

LadyUranus
02-20-2003, 04:43 PM
The kid from Cowboy Bebop plays the harmonica in those two episodes before kicking it. Haruka plays the piano a couple of times in the anime.... *sigh* The dubs and I were close way back when.

LadyUranus

TheLoneWolf
02-20-2003, 05:32 PM
And oh yeah,practically everyone from KoF also plays some sort of musical instrument.Pick a char,and pick a cool instrument,and you'll be just fine!

Arisa
02-20-2003, 11:03 PM
oO **funny look** How can a violin be about the size of a cello?

j-chan
02-21-2003, 12:42 AM
http://www.mazoku.net/hamel/tvcap/hameln11_04.jpg (this is one where the "violin" is strapped to his back.)
http://www.mazoku.net/hamel/tvcap/hameln1to8_23.jpg (he's playing that big honkin' violin! XD)

and he's the violinist of hameln. :o squeaky strings & all. unbelievable, eh? at least he has it better off than poor raiel! imagine lugging a mini-grand piano on your back!

http://www.mazoku.net/hamel/ld/vohld12a.jpg

surprisingly enough, this series is one of the most depressing i've seen. you wouldn't think so with the character designs, eh? even so, i love it. *hugs* :D

Rosiel
02-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Quon from Rah Xephon plays the violin, among other instruments.

Cait
02-22-2003, 08:34 AM
He's the "violincello" of Hamlin... I've never seen anyone take that term literally. *shakes head and laughs* I have got to show my cellist friends this.

Cait
02-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Don't forget Hamelin from Violinist of Hamelin. Although his violin is the size of a cello, it makes the sounds of a violin.

Does it actually sound like a violin? Is it strung like a violin or a cello? Something that big shouldn't make the same kind of sound as a tiny little violin. How does he hold that thing up there? How can he move up the fingerboard with that bulk? *gawks more*

urumi_01
02-18-2008, 07:27 AM
hino kahoko from La corda d' oro

livvylove
02-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Ikuto from Shugo Chara plays the Violin

Gothiccornila
02-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Look at La' croda d'ora

Nyappy.Mois
02-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Momiji Sohma from Fruits Basket plays the violin. Like Gothiccornila said, I believe La Corda D'Oro centers around music students, a few of which play the violin. Seiji Amasawa from Miyazaki's Whisper of the Heart plays violin as well. This is a good idea, there should be a big compiled list of instrument playing characters. Haji from Blood+ plays a cello. (Did someone already mention that?)

SailorAnime
02-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Kanaria from Rozen Maiden plays the violin. It's her weapon.

Holland
02-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Little Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl plays violin and also carries her weapon in a violin case.

bandXaided
02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Randagio from Fairy Musketeers sings...badly...
Kukuri from Mahoujin Guruguru (doki doki) plays a flute...

na-naru
02-19-2008, 02:34 AM
tamaki suoh from ouran host club plays piano ;3

alex from lunar: silver star story complete plays the ocarina (harp in the original sega game) and ghaleon plays...i believe a lute?

also, zelda/sheik plays the harp as well as ocarina <3

beck: mongolian chop squad focuses on rock music, so lots of guitars and whatnot. arashi from paradise kiss and a loooot of nana characters also play guitar. might also want to take a look at nodame cantabile - it centers around a music school

Izczerra
02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Sailor Moon, in Casablanca Memories both Rei and Zoicite are seen playing the piano (once each, does this count?).
Kaworu plays piano in the Evangelion manga.
Piano no Mori and the anime Piano both have characters that play the piano, obviously.

Amiboshi of Fushigi Yugi plays the flute (I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet).

Clannad's Ichinose Kotomi plays the violin
I remember that Mawata from the Pretear manga plays the violin at some point.

yamisaod
02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
im a big yugioh nut and i know noah kaiba was a character that played the violin when he was alive and younger

Kaylin77
02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Not sure if anyone said this

Hino Kahoko(f) and Len Tsukimori(m) from La Corda D'Oro play the violin.

stepinahalf
02-20-2008, 07:09 PM
In GodChild, not an anime YET, I know, the fool card guy plays the violin. His name was Owl. ^ ^ He was nifty. LOVE GOIDCHILD!

Tabby Catty
02-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Don't forget Karin from Yes! Pretty Cure 5. She plays the violin I believe.

london2191
02-20-2008, 08:43 PM

PacificPikachu
02-22-2008, 05:04 AM
Sayuri from The Place Promised in Our Early Days plays the violin in an important scene in the movie. Actually, the male lead, Hiroki, also plays the violin at one point. Granted, they don't have the most exciting costumes ever, but perhaps this information will be helpful to someone somewhere?

darylchan
02-22-2008, 01:01 PM
From One Piece...
males: Brook plays both the piano and the violin, Franky plays the guitar (or is it a ukelele...I can't tell). I think Igaram can play the saxophone, but he was using it more as a weapon (a la Midvalley from Trigun) than anything.
females: Conis plays the harp.

Cherazor
02-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, Sailor Neptune/Michiru plays a cello in the manga (in contrast to the violin in the anime) and Sailor Uranus/Haruka plays the piano in the anime as well, not only the manga.
And the the Kou's (Seiya, etc) are all women, not men. Even if it's a bit questionable in the anime. XD

(all characters are from Sailor Moon :P)

divine_fanaticy
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM
minase hijiri from descendants of darkness/yami no matsuei plays violin. it's part of his story: he has a cornea (in the eye) transplant, but the cornea is possessed by a demon, so he is possessed when he plays the "devil's trill" and can't stop playing.

IzumiContraband
02-22-2008, 10:37 PM
So glad people mentioned freaking La Corda D'oro. The manga is like YHALOTHARWEALLPLAYINSTRUMENTS. Cosplay us bandgeeks and orchdorks!

But yeah, Kahoko Hino and Len Tsukimori. There are a variety of other instruments there too like cello, flute and clarinet.

I've been meaning to read that for the longest time! Orchydorks are win~. And now I have to watch "Violinist of Hamelin," if only for the violoncello ---> violin + cello. XD The term "violoncello" always bothers me. It's antiquated and people don't use it anymore.

I don't think we can count Henrietta as a character that actually plays the violin, just because that sequence in the anime was so ridiculous that I wanted to cry. I feel like Rico, at some point, played the cello. Is that true?

Lunarlion
02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's a list I know of-

Violin
Ban Mido (Getbackers)

Madoka (Getbackers)

Thomas O'Brien (Ashita no Nadja)

Piano
John Whittard (Ashita no Nadja)
Dorothy (Big O)

Saxaphone
Midvalley the Hornfreak (Trigun)

Aikoh
02-24-2008, 03:46 AM
So glad people mentioned freaking La Corda D'oro. The manga is like YHALOTHARWEALLPLAYINSTRUMENTS. Cosplay us bandgeeks and orchdorks!

It surprises me even more that only one other person in the thread has mentioned Nodame Cantabile because it was one of the first series I thought of in addition to La Corda d'Oro. One of the main characters, Shinichi Chiaki, plays both the violin and the piano, Ryutaro Mine plays the violin and is sometimes seen with an electric violin, and Kiyora Miki plays the violin as well.

DraconPern
03-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Kyoshiro Ayanokoji (male) in Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora plays the violin

Uberwekkness
03-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Technically, you can say that Zell, Quistis, Irvine and Selphie all play the violin, piano, guitar, etc because of the date thing or whatever in FFVIII.

ChakiChu
03-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Other than La Corda D'Oro (which is like the best series ever!), Nanaka Yatsushiro from Myself; Yourself plays violin as well ^^.

(and thanks for the thread, I also play violin and want to incorporate it into my cosplays :D)

sakuralove
11-26-2008, 06:56 PM
How about all around? This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Anime: Violin: Female:
- Kaiou Michiru (Sailor Moon)
- Sohryu Asuka Langley (Evangelion)
- Candy (Candy Candy)
- Hazuki (Ojamajo Doremi)

- Quatre Winner (Gundam Wing)
- Nagisa Kaoru (Evangelion)

Anime: Viola: Female:
- Ayanami Rei (Evangelion)

Anime: Cello: Male:
- Ikari Shinji (Evangelion)

Anime: Piano: Female:
- Anthy (Utena)
- Tenou Haruka (Sailor Moon, manga)
- Raiel (Violinist of Hameln)

Anime: Piano: Male:
-Kaoru Miki (Utena)
-Quatre Winner (Gundam Wing)

Anime: "Keyboard": Male:
- Yaten Kou (Sailor Moon)
- Taiki Kou (Sailor Moon)

Anime: Guitar: Female:
- Haruhara Haruko (FLCL)

Anime: Guitar: Male:

Anime: Harp: ???
- Kendappa (RG Veda)

Anime: Flute: Male:
- Trowa Barton (Gundam Wing)
- Alan/Ail (Sailor Moon)

Anime: Lute: Female:
- Deedlit (Record of Lodoss War)

Anime: Recorder: Female:
- Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Anime: Drums: Male:

Game: Ocarina: Male:
- Link (Legend of Zelda)

Game: Ocarina: Female:
- Saria (Legend of Zelda)
- Sheik/Zelda (Legend of Zelda)

Tell me more, I'll edit.

toya from ccs plays the piano and voilin, sakuras mother played the piano, eriol also plays the piano.

Emiey
11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Ikuto from Shugo Chara plays the violin. ^^

EgnirysFaye
11-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Wowza, this thread was from 2003 lmao nice. Even though it's quite helpful - I'm a violinist myself.

What about Nicholas from The Vampire Lestat?

Sandcat
11-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Yurika Kirishima from Project Justice/Rival Schools 2. Thats the best one EVER!

Chistina199
11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
That old man, a friend of Daisuke's Grandfather that played the Violin and is really good at it but it possessed him in one episode in D N Angel.

Ahh Shot, some one already said Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl >.<

kojikaede
11-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Kamen Rider Kiva:
Kurenai Otoya
Wataru Otoya

they both play

mini_kitten_o5
11-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Ciel Phantomhive from Kuroshitsuji plays the violin.

R8G6B1
11-30-2008, 03:35 AM
Kamen Rider Kiva:
Kurenai Otoya
Wataru Otoya

they both play

Don't forget Maya...

Time&SpaceAngel
11-30-2008, 02:03 PM
momiji from fruits basket plays the violin